- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
Giving a shout out to Tigernach for his support, and multiple reviews. I was at part A and finished with part C, but thanks to his encouragement I finally figured out how to write the difficult part B. Hopefully some of you guys are still interested in this story and haven't forgotten about me.
Nyarl had been traveling together with Icarus and Terra for three days now. Although he was still hesitant around them, Nyarl was beginning to feel at peace. The giant girl, Terra, wouldn’t let him out of her sights, but the boy, Icarus, seemed to have some trust in him. Nyarl had stolen from many travelers in his lifetime, but this couple was different even special in their own way.

Terra had explained that she had been working as a mercenary for the last few years after leaving her village. It wasn’t until recently that she met and fell in love with Icarus. She didn’t tell Nyarl this outright, but it was obvious. If a half giant girl wasn’t weird enough, there was still the case towards Icarus. It frustrated Nyarl that Icarus just couldn’t speak on his own. The kid had claimed that he was physically able to speak, but for some reason unknown to even him the words could never leave his mouth. It was only thanks to the necklace that Terra always wore that anybody could understand him.

Terra was a little upset at first with Icarus allowing someone who nearly killed him to join their party, but not nearly as upset that he could now communicate with other people. Of course he needed access to his magic and physical contact, but this still felt wrong to her for some reason. She knew that Icarus may need to ‘talk’ to someone in case of an emergency, but this didn’t stop her from wanting Icarus all to herself.

[Can we rest for a little bit?] asked Icarus as he looked up at Terra.

Normally Terra would just pick him up in her arms and continue their journey forward, but the last couple of days had seemed rough on him. The last few nights Terra had had some weird dreams that she couldn’t understand and would wake up to find Icarus moving about. Terra had a theory that the dreams were coming from Icarus himself when she left his magic on at night.

“Alright I think that we can rest for a little bit.”

Terra quickly covered the opening in the sphere shutting off the drain to Icarus’ body. Icarus had insisted that the magic be left on, and would grow upset when Terra turned it off. Now, however, Icarus was okay with having a little bit of a rest without getting tired.

“Is Icarus tired-nyaa?” asked Nyarl while scratching the back of his ear. Even he looked worried as Icarus slumped back against the tree. Terra noticed this as well.

“That’s it, I’m keeping your magic off for a few days.”

[That’s not fair!] complained Icarus as he tried to get to his feet. A huge hand came down an pressed Icarus back against the tree he was resting on.

“You can barely stand as is. You haven’t quite been back up to one hundred percent since my fight with Lily.” Terra was crouching down at his level now. “If you keep going like this then you’re going to get hurt and that is the last thing I want for you.”

“Are you talking to Icarus-nyaa or yourself?” asked Nyarl as a mischievous grin crossed his face.

Terra turned back as she had forgotten about Nyarl’s present. Terra was about to say something until a gust of wind blew against them causing Nyarl to stiffen up. Without a word Nyarl pulled out his dagger and crouched down looking off towards the west.

“What is it?” asked Terra as she pulled out her sword. The familiar weight in her hand was comforting.

“I smell blood-nyaa and its getting stronger.”

“Find somewhere to hide with Icarus and I’ll take care of whatever it is.”

[I can help] thought Icarus as he tried to stand to his feet. He was able to make it half way up before falling back down again. Danger was close and she needed to make sure that Icarus was safe.

“You’ll just be a burden the way you are now,” replied Terra as she began to run off towards the west. She could feel how upset Icarus was right now through the sphere, but his safety was her number one priority. She wouldn’t know what to do if she allowed him to get hurt.

As Terra ran along the road, the sound of battle caught her attention. The road was sloped upwards in front of her until it rounded off to the top of a hill. If her memory served her correctly then she would come out to a grassless plain. Terra was just about at the top of the hill when a horn blasted through the area. This wasn’t just any horn that she heard, but a goblin horn.

Pressing her legs even harder Terra soon found herself looking down upon a small battlefield. Towards the left was a dwarven wagon laying on its side. The mountain ram that dwarves commonly used in place of horses lay slain upon the ground. A group of fourteen dwarves were fighting bravely against a small goblin war band. As to how a group of goblins could possibly ambush some dwarves in the middle of the day soon became clear.

Terra watched as part of a hill side off to the dwarves left broke apart revealing a tunnel. As soon as the opening to the tunnel opened another group of goblins came surging forward to enter the fray. A rumbling sound came out of the tunnel as the goblins ran to the sides to form an opening through their ranks. Stepping out into the sunlight wielding a wooden club was a mountain troll.

Terra rushed forward towards the battlefield. If she didn’t interfere then the dwarves stood no chance at winning this skirmish. Terra didn’t even bother with using her sword as she simply bulldozed her way through several goblins. Any goblin that found itself unlucky enough to be underneath of Terra’s boots were either dead or wishing that they were. Swinging her blade in a wide arc caused another four goblins to fall dead before her. Given her size and strength, nothing the goblins had could stand up to the punishment of her sword. Some goblins had tried to fight back which only ended in death. Terra’s reach was just too much for the creatures to overcome.

Terra had battled goblins before so she knew their weakness. Goblins by nature were a cowardly bunch when faced with a stronger opponent. The best way to win a battle with goblins was to take out their leader or their strongest soldiers. In this case it was the troll rushing towards her. Usually a troll was quite a challenge for Terra to fight. They stood a little over twelve feet tall and surprisingly strong for their size. It was foolish to challenge one of them in a contest of strength, but Terra currently had an advantage.

Terra grabbed ahold of the nearest goblin and threw the poor creature right at the charging troll. The force that she had thrown the goblin had caused the troll to come to a halt which gave Terra more than enough time to deliver a mighty blow to its leg. A sickening crunch could be heard as the troll fell to the ground in pain. Before the beast could attempt to get back up, Terra drove her sword through the troll’s neck, killing it instantly.

Having seen their champion defeated, the goblins began to falter. The battlefield soon turned into the slaughter as most of the remaining goblins dropped their weapons and tried to flee. It took Terra another minute to clear out the rest of the goblins that decided to stay behind. Terra figured that it was due more to stupidity than it was bravery. Terra had finished cleaning the blood off her blade and sheathing it when a familiar voice yelled in her direction.

“Now that boys is what we call a fighter!” A smile formed across Terra’s face as she turned to look down at a familiar dwarf below her.