- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
Got back into writing again, hope you guys enjoy this one. Also I'm writing the Exia Chronicles which tell about the elven prince 200 years before this story takes place. As always please review and enjoy.
Nyarl held Icarus down against a nearby tree as he tried to listen around him. The smell of blood had only gotten worse as Terra left them. Icarus was still trying to break Nyarl’s grip but was failing miserably. Nyarl was a lot stronger than what he looked but he could tell that something just wasn’t right with Icarus. As the seconds ticked by Nyarl could feel Icarus getting weaker and weaker.

“You have to calm down-nyaa.” said Nyarl as he contemplated just bounding Icarus to the tree with some rope. It wasn’t until Icarus began coughing that Nyarl really began to get worried.

“Are you okay?”

Despite the cool air blowing around him, Icarus was burning up from the inside. It was becoming even more difficult for him to form a coherent thought as the world around him began to spin uncontrollably. Another fit of uncontrolled coughing overtook Icarus yet again, but this one was different. It was the drops of blood coming out of the bottom of his hands that got Nyarl’s attention.

“What’s wrong-nyaa?” asked Nyarl as he took a step back. He wasn’t sure what was wrong with Icarus, but he needed Terra to come back immediately.

“Just stay right here.” Icarus was soon unconscious as Nyarl began rushing back through the woods to find Terra.


“Don’t worry lad, we got some of the best doctors around. Just look at Frodin’s face over there; it’s a medical miracle that that ugly mug ain’t killing friends and foe.”

Icarus slowly began to come around. He was lying upon a hard surface that continued to bump around underneath him. Icarus slowly began to open his eyes to find himself looking up at a cloth covered sky. A group of bearded dwarves were laughing above him as two of them continued to trade friendly blows with each other. As Icarus tried to sit up was when the dwarves finally took notice of him.

“Take it easy there kiddo. Have a drink of this.”

Icarus judged that it was the same man as before as the dwarf pressed a flask to his lips. Icarus was indeed thirsty as he took a large gulp. Almost immediately Icarus regretted this action as his throat felt like it was on fire. The dizziness that he felt got a little worse as he tried to keep the drink down.

[Terra…] The wagon that Icarus was in came to a sudden stop as Terra’s head entered into the back of the wagon.

“I’m glad to see that you’re awake.” A look of relief spread across her face as she scanned Icarus from head to toe.

“Seems like your friend here can’t hold down his liquor, just like some little girls I know.” Terra gave the dwarf a quick slap to the back of his head causing him to fall forward into the floor of the wagon. The dwarves around him began to burst into laughter.

“I can still drink you and anyone here under the table.” A smile grew across Terra’s face as the dwarf got back up in his seat.

“Can’t believe that you’d lay hands on your old friend Ulfrik.”

“I could have been a little rougher,” replied Terra.

“Not nearly as rough as you’ve been with this one here,” exclaimed Ulfrik as he pointed a finger straight at Icarus, “it’s a miracle he’s even alive. Tough little bastard.” Everyone grew quiet as they all watched Ulfrik. It was a little intimidating for Icarus as the dwarf continued to stare him in the eye with a stern expression, his finger never leaving the air.

“Not many men could survive a night with Terra on top!” This caused the dwarves around Icarus to laugh even harder than before, including Ulfrik until Terra hit him in the back of the head yet again.

“Another comment like that and the doctor will have two patients.” Terra gave the dwarves around her a stern look before smiling down at Icarus. “Try to rest, we’ll be there soon.” Icarus watched as Terra’s head left the wagon as it soon began moving again. Ulfrik soon found his way back up to his seat while nursing a rather large lump on the back of his head.

“As feisty as ever that one,” Icarus didn’t know what to do as all eyes now watched him.

“I don’t know which one of you is more nervous, the elf or the cat.” It was at this time that Icarus noticed Nyarl sitting in the corner of the wagon behind him. Nyarl was refusing to make eye contact with everyone around him, and Icarus couldn’t blame him.

“You have nothing to worry about lad, as long as you are in the company of this merry band of misfits no one will dare lay a finger on you.” Nyarl was able to relax slightly but he still kept his guard up. Upon seeing this Ulfrik came up with an idea. “How about you change into your beast form, that way nobody will me none the wiser.”

Icarus watched as Nyarl took a quick look around him before shifting back into the tiny red cat. The dwarves around Icarus quickly went back to joking and rough housing as their trip continued. Icarus was a little glad that his stomach was empty as the urge to expel everything in his stomach had hit him a couple of times. It wasn’t until an hour later that the wagon finally came to a stop. Light entered the wagon causing Icarus to momentarily wince as Terra reappeared through the entrance. Only her head and shoulders were able to fit inside of the already crowded wagon, but this was all that she needed.

“We’ve finally arrive.”

Nyarl quickly bounded his way up Terra’s arm until he came to rest on her shoulder. Icarus on the other hand had tried yet again to sit up, but his dizziness soon overtook him. Luckily Terra was there to pick him up gently. Soon Icarus was in Terra’s embrace as she stood back up. The dwarves quickly exited the wagon last with Ulfrik in the lead.

“Welcome to Sunderbor, the finest of all dwarven cities!” exclaimed Ulfrik as he raised his arms around him.

Icarus was amazed with everything around him. Currently the party was standing in the middle of a stable. There was maybe one horse and a couple of mules walking around, but the number of mountain rams was amazing. Icarus had seen numerous sheep and goats in his time at Windhook and the surrounding area, but a mountain ram deserved a category all their own. A mountain ram stood around six to seven feet with massive horns curled on either side of their heads.

Icarus watched as these massive beasts would jump ten to fifteen feet and scale the mountain side as easily as if they were walking on flat ground. A hundred or so openings could be seen throughout the mountain all leading to semi flat areas. Out of all of these openings, only six or so were still opened as the others were closed with stone doors. To Icarus’ right was the largest set of doors that he had ever seen that lead straight into the mountain itself.

“Now let’s hit up the bar before the fun begins!” This caused the dwarves around Ulfrik to cheer, but Terra soon cleared her throat to catch his attention.

“Oh, don’t think I forgot about you.” Ulfrik walked over to a bale of hay beside of him and ripped out a handful before presenting it to Terra. “You must be hungry from pulling that heavy wagon all day.” The dwarves once again burst into laughter and for once Terra actually joined in.

“Don’t worry, the doctor is probably at the bar as well as many a dwarf.”

Icarus got a chance to look around as Ulfrik lead the party towards the giant set of double doors. The clearing that they had been in was a small opening in the mountain that spread for half a mile or more. The opening was enclosed by a large dwarven made wall that had another set of giant doors. The amount of guards at both the gate entrance and the mountain entrance was staggering, and it seemed odd that no one was leaving the mountain. Once on the inside Icarus noticed that the group was walking along a gigantic corridor that went on for quite some time with numerous tunnels going every which direction. The only dwarves that Icarus saw were all heavily armored. The only thing that was different was that several different symbols could be seen on the different armor of the dwarves.

[What do the symbols on their armor mean?] asked Icarus.

“It tells others as to what clan that dwarf belongs to.”

Even Nyarl seemed interested as Terra explained that the dwarven kingdom was split up between seven major clans. Each of these clans had a leader of their own that would only answer to the King of the dwarves himself. The King was rotated out every fifty years or so as the seven leaders voted on the dwarf to take the kings place. Usually the clans kept to themselves, unless it was work and trade related, but this number of warriors from different clans wasn’t a good sign.

The group soon entered into a large room on the side of the tunnel that was filled with dwarves. Caskets of ale lined the wall on the far side. A group of a half dozen dwarves was behind the bar, completing orders of the patrons. A couple of the more sober dwarves raised their mugs towards Ulfrik and took a drink. Others would invite the party to a few drinks.

“Grab yourselves a round boys, I got some important business to attend to.” The group of dwarves disappeared into the crowd leaving Ulfrik alone with Terra’s group.

“Now where could that old dog run off to?”

Icarus was hit hard by a wave of dizziness causing him to clutch onto Terra’s shirt for support. To stop the room from spinning, Icarus closed his eyes, praying that it would stop. Terra gave Icarus a little squeeze for comfort before redoubling her efforts to find the doctor.

Icarus was awake long enough to see Ulfrik walk up to an old grey haired dwarf before blacking out completely once again.