- Text Size +
Behind the mysterious double doors was a set of stairs that led upwards into a large chamber. In the center of the chamber was an extremely large map of the dwarven kingdom. Little figures of different colors were set throughout representing either dwarven or goblin forces. This was the most detailed war map that Icarus had ever seen. Of course he was pretty sure that he had never seen a war map before anyways. After taking a few last glances at it, Icarus moved on to another part of the chamber.

To his right was a set of tables covered in all sorts of trinkets, scrolls, weapons, and armor. Behind the tables was a massive bookcase that ran through the entire length of the wall with a ladder on wheels stationed towards the right side. Directly in front of him was another set of steps that must lead into another room farther into the mountain. Towards Icarus’ left was the thing that caught his attention the most. A series of long thin rock slabs formed four rows along the left hand wall.

Walking up to it Icarus found a set of dwarven runes across the top. Icarus didn’t know how to read, but the meaning of the text became clear to him. This was the wall that showed every dwarf to have earned the title of Master. A slight pain went through Icarus’ head as he remembered what a ‘Master Dwarf’ was. Any dwarf that had contributed greatly towards dwarven society, and had been approved by the dwarven council, was bestowed the title of Master. It was the highest award that any dwarf could ever hope of achieving.

Portraits ran along each slab of stone with blocks of dwarven texts that described what they had done. All sorts of feats and achievements came to Icarus as he glanced from one picture to the rest. Whether it was from designing complex tunnel systems to being the general of the dwarven army, each and every dwarf had earned their place upon the wall. Icarus was about to turn back and explore some more until a slightly familiar face popped out at him.

[Ulfrik…]

The dwarf was wearing a full suite of dwarven armor with a red ram emblem engraved into the breastplate. A massive hammer was lying straight up on the ground with Ulfrik’s hands on top of the handle. Ulfrik himself had a fierce look in his eye that Icarus couldn’t believe the real Ulfrik making. In truth Icarus was slightly intimidated by the picture. Icarus was curious to see how exactly Ulfrik had earned his title, but a chill ran down Icarus’ spine as another image caught his attention just a few portraits down. Dashing over Icarus found himself in front of an old, but familiar face.

[What is Exia doing here?] Asked Icarus as he looked at the elven prince.

The Elven Prince was leaning back against the wall with a cocky grin across his face. Icarus was a little jealous of how the prince looked in this picture. Handsome, proud, confident; everything that Icarus wasn’t and would probably never be. The last time that he had seen this face had been when he first met Raphael. Whatever that thing was scared Icarus to the core. The resemblance to the Prince was unnatural, just black hair and red eyes separated the two elves. Icarus was soon brought back to reality as a figure soon joined him.

“It is not every day that an elf enters into my private chamber to look upon the faces of the past.”

Icarus jumped as he turned to find an older dwarf standing beside of him wearing a very fine sleeping gown. The older dwarf was looking at the picture of the elven prince, remembering a scene from long ago.

“Of course I could see how this one in particular could interest you. An elf earning the title of ‘Master’” The dwarf gave out a little chuckle as an old, but strong hand began to lead Icarus away from the wall. Icarus wanted nothing more than to explain himself, but without Terra there it was impossible. He could use magic of course, but he didn’t want to use it on someone he didn’t know. Icarus soon found himself being led down the stairs back towards the throne room. Nyarl was nowhere to be found as the two stopped once more at the golden line. The old dwarf looked down at Icarus; a look of curiosity could plainly be seen on his face.

There are usually two measures that stop most dwarves from entering into his chambers. The first one is the guards that are usually stationed outside of the doors. Of course with the war going on it the dwarves can’t spare a few soldiers to guard a place deep inside the mountain. The second was this golden line before them, gift from some elves that had visited them a couple hundred years ago. The golden line would only allow dwarves that had reached adulthood pass through. This would keep the other younger dwarves from interrupting important meetings and whatnot. With a gentle push, Icarus found himself stumbling slightly across the line.

“Try not to wander around too much and let those old bones gather some rest.” The older dwarf turned on his heels and began to make his way back up the stairs. Icarus was still a little puzzled by what he meant by his old bones, but he just accounted it to some old dwarven saying.

“So what was up there nyaa?” The red haired kid reappeared as soon as the older dwarf had left. Icarus grabbed ahold of Nyarl’s tail as he let the magic run through him.

[Just a private chamber with a map, some books, and…other stuff,] The last part about the wall of masters Icarus decided to leave out. He wished that he had looked at the text below the picture.

“We better get back before Terra-nyaa arrives.”

Icarus couldn’t agree more as he quickly made his way back through the corridors. Thanks to Nyarl’s acute senses the two were able to make it back to Ulfrik’s room without bumping into any dwarves. Icarus hadn’t been back inside of the sheets a few minute when the door to the room opened and Terra walked back in. A smile grew across her face as she saw her little friend lying in bed, but Icarus could see the just how tired she was.

“You didn’t have to wait up for me.” Terra quickly severed Icarus’ flow of magic so that he could regain his strength faster. A moment later Ulfrik came back in with a pile of blankets and pillows taller than himself.

“Try to catch a couple of hours of sleep lass; tomorrow’s going to be a long day.”

Ulfrik and Terra talked about other things for a couple of minutes before Ulfrik left. Nyarl had found himself a place on top of a shelf in his cat form, and was currently dozing off. Terra had made herself a semi-comfortable bedding on the floor right next to Icarus’ bed. She gave Icarus a smile as she began getting undressed for the evening. Today’s events had taken its toll on her as well as she slipped into her make shift bed. She wasn’t alone for lone as she felt Icarus’ small form lay down beside of her.

“Was the bed uncomfortable?” Terra gently grabbed ahold of Icarus and brought him into her embrace. With just one arm around his chest, Icarus was now stuck in place.

[I just didn’t want to sleep alone tonight…] Icarus buried his face into the blankets as his face reddened a little. The large arm around him gave him a gentle squeeze as Terra signed.

“Me neither little one,” the two soon fell asleep in each other’s embrace. Together they would face whatever the next day had in store for them.