- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
Hope you guys enjoy and review this to let me know what you think so far.
Icarus walked behind of Terra and Ulfrik as the group made its way towards some dwarven training grounds. The temperature was a little warmer than the rest of the tunnel, but that had to do with the layout of the mountain. Terra was giving Ulfrik her full attention as he explained the area.

The training grounds were a large chamber located outside of the great dwarven forges. It was the perfect location to store weapons and close enough to take any broken equipment back to the forges to get repaired. Right above both the training grounds and the forge was the community bath house. A very specialized set of pumps were used to fill that portion of the cave with water from the underground lake. The forges help to keep this water a warm and comfortable temperature. Once a week the dwarves would empty the chamber and fill it back up with fresher water.

“And then the dwarf asked ‘where is my drink?’”

Both Terra and Nyarl began laughing at Ulfrik’s joke that Icarus didn’t quite understand. If Icarus would have been paying attention since the beginning of the joke he would have probably laughed, but the amount of attention that Terra was giving to Ulfrik was a little bit upsetting to Icarus. Icarus just couldn’t help but feel a little jealous.

“Oi lad,” Icarus found himself brought back from his train of thought by Ulfrik snapping his fingers in his face. “So Terra says that she has been training you how to fight.” Icarus quickly shook his head in agreement.

“Well, we’ll just see how good of a job she has done.” Ulfrik pushed open a set of double doors revealing a massive chamber.

The sound and smell were slightly overwhelming to Icarus, causing him to take a step back at first. A couple hundred dwarves were currently practicing all sorts of different battle drills. Some were having one on one fight, while others were training in how to fight in formations. Along the walls were smaller opening that featured places to grab a quick bite between practice sessions, a few medical tents for accidents, and more than enough mini bars for drinks. Along the left hand wall were giant openings that apparently led to the dwarven forges. Icarus could see a few humans amongst the dwarves near the opening, apprentices no doubt.

“So what would be their weapons of choice?” Asked Ulfrik as the group made its way towards an equipment booth.

“I’ve been training Icarus on how to use a sword while Nyarl would probably do better with a couple of daggers.” answered Terra as she pushed the two boys forward.

“You heard the lady Frank.”

The dwarf behind the counter was even more heavily scarred than Ulfrik. He had dark black hair with bits of grey throughout. Icarus was afraid that they would be practicing with actual weapon, but felt relieved as he handed Nyarl a set of dark wooded daggers. For Icarus however he seemed a little worried.

“Are you sure he can handle a regular sword? He’s a little on the small side.” Franks comment seemed to offend Icarus a little. He was a little over a foot shorter than most dwarves, but the thought that he couldn’t wield a dwarven sword kind of hurt his ego.

[Just tell him to give me a regular one,] huffed Icarus as he waited for Terra to translate. Terra shifted uneasily beside him as she thought of the best way to explain things.

“He’s been training with me for a few nights so he’s use to the length at least.”

“Aye, the length isn’t the problem but the weight might be.” replied Frank as he looked up at Terra.

“Just let him try it out for a few swings and if we have to we’ll get something smaller for the lad.” Both Terra and Frank thought that Ulfrik’s proposition was fair enough. Ulfrik gladly accepted the wooden sword from Frank and held it out to Icarus. “I’m sure he can handle it.”

Icarus nearly dropped the sword as soon as it was handed to him. It wasn’t any normal type of wood that this practice sword was made out of. Icarus was instructed to hold the sword out and point it towards Ulfrik. Despite his best efforts the end of the blade shook a little from his efforts. Ulfrik simply placed a single finger on the edge of it and pushed it further to the ground against Icarus’ will.

“Let’s try something smaller for the kid, maybe a short sword.”

Terra could feel the embarrassment that Icarus felt through the connection they shared. It took Icarus both hands to wield it properly, but given his size Ulfrik thought that it suited him well. Ulfrik decided to use a sword and shield for today’s little practice session. Terra asked if Nyarl could go first so that she could have a word with Icarus. The two soon entered the circle and began their mock fight.

“Are you okay?” asked Terra in a low enough voice so that only Icarus could hear her.

[I’m fine,] Icarus was still a little red in the face.

“It’s not your fault Icarus, dwarven weapons weigh twice as much as regular ones.”

[I said I’m fine,] Icarus’ mood wasn’t getting any better and Terra could feel it. He himself could come up with half a dozen excuses, but the fact of the matter was that he was nowhere near as strong as he would like to be. It was understandable that both Terra and Ulfrik were able to wield such weapons and if he wanted to be truthful, Nyarl could do it as well. He was probably the weakest individual in the entire mountain and he kept getting reminded of that since he got there.

“I just want you to be happy Icarus. How about we have some one on one time later to try and relax a bit.” Terra was glad to see Icarus finally crack a little smile.

[That sounds good,] he was still a little upset but at least he had Terra. The thought of having all of her attention without Ulfrik there really made him feel a little better.

The fight between Nyarl and Ulfrik was indeed an amazing sight to behold. A few dwarves from the surrounding area had come over to see the two of them. Nyarl was doing pretty good in Icarus’ opinion. He obviously had the speed advantage as even Ulfrik had trouble keeping up with his movements. Nyarl was able to close the distance between the two before unleashing several attacks of his own that Ulfrik would block with his shield. He would then jump away in time to get out of reach of Ulfrik’s sword.

It seemed to have been a fairly even fight until Icarus noticed one very important fact. Ulfrik had yet to move his feet since the beginning of the fight. He had been relying on his arms alone to fend off Nyarl’s advances. Nyarl may have had the speed advantage on Ulfrik, but the dwarf’s ability and experience greatly outclassed Nyarl’s.

A smile grew across Ulfrik’s face as Nyarl launched his next attack. The dwarf took a single step back as Nyarl sprang forward. This single step had been enough for Nyarl’s blades to miss their mark completely. Ulfrik used this moment of confusion to spring forward and shield bash Nyarl in the chest causing the red hair boy to fall on his back. Before he could lean back up, the tip of the wooden sword that Ulfrik had tapped him on the chest.

“That was a great battle lad,” Ulfrik helped Nyarl back up to his feet before patting him on the shoulder, “give it a few more years and you could give any dwarf a run for their money in a fight.”

The dwarves around them gave Nyarl a small applaud for his efforts. The way he fought was unconventional, but still effective against some opponents. It was now Icarus’ turn to fight against Ulfrik and he really wanted to show the dwarf everything that Terra had taught him. To Icarus’ surprise Ulfrik tossed his shield off to the side as their match began.

“Go Icarus!” cheered Terra from the sidelines as Icarus charged in. Icarus was going to start off with an upwards slash to try and knock the dwarf off balance. According to Terra most people were not going to be used to taking attacks from down below.

Before Icarus could bring his sword up fully, he felt the palm of Ulfrik’s hand hit him in the chest causing him to fall on his backside. The blow had taken him by surprise and winded him slightly. A few dwarves could be heard laughing as Icarus got back up to his feet.

“Nice try lad, but you can’t be charging in at an opponent stronger that you.”

Icarus completely ignored what Ulfrik had told him as he went straight back in with a thrust. This time Ulfrik just took a step to the side and held his arm out, close lining Icarus again. Even more dwarves laughed at this one.

“Calm down and think lad, getting aggravated will only get you killed.” Ulfrik was really trying to give Icarus some pointers, but his only made the elf even angrier.

In all Ulfrik didn’t even have to swing his sword once as Icarus continued to attack recklessly. Each time Ulfrik would floor him, hoping to teach him something. Around the fourth time that Icarus hit the ground Ulfrik decided to call it a day. Icarus was already worn out and bruised, but it was completely his fault. He looked over to the side and found Terra looking down at him.

Was it a look of pity that she was giving him? For some reason Icarus just couldn’t stand it. He had been brought out here to be made a fool of and now even Terra must have seen how pathetic he was. Before she could even take a step towards him Icarus was already running off the other direction.

“Icarus!” yelled Terra as she went after him.

[Leave me alone!] came back Icarus’ response as he made his way through the crowd. Hot tears were already beginning to run down his face. Icarus continued to run for half a mile before finding a small opening in a wall. It was big enough for him to sit in while being hidden from any onlookers.

Icarus didn’t know which emotion he was feeling the most of right now. He was jealous of how much Terra got along with Ulfrik. He was angry with just how weak he was. And now he was sad because he had hurt Terra by running off and yelling at her. The only thing that he felt useful for was his magic and now he wouldn’t even do that without Terra’s help. Icarus continued to cry alone for ten minutes until he was joined by the last person in the world that he wanted to be with.

“It’s alright to cry lad,” Ulfrik was sitting down against the wall twirling around a small locket. If Icarus could talk he would have gave a retort of some sort, but for now the most he could do was wipe the moisture out of his eyes.

“I’m sorry if I upset you earlier, but I can come off as rough around the edges sometimes.” The dwarf continued to look down at his locket before speaking again.

“You have nothing to worry about between me and Terra. She’s a pretty lass, but she’s more like a daughter to me than anything. Besides my wife would beat my ass if she thought I was cheating on her.”

Icarus took the time to look over and see Ulfrik looking down at a picture that was inside of his locket. It was a little hand drawn picture of a dwarven woman. She had short messy hair and a fiery expression on her face. A few scars could be seen, but none too deep.

“You should have seen the gash she left on the side of my head when I proposed that she moved deeper into the mountain. With the war and everything going on, it would be too dangerous to raise a child out here. But that is enough of me talking nonsense. If we don’t get back soon then Terra is going to come looking for us and I don’t want to see her upset.”

Icarus was beginning to feel a little better about himself, especially since he knew that Ulfrik didn’t have a romantic interest in Terra. It was a little childish of him for doing the stuff he did and he hoped that Terra would forgive him.

“How about I tell you how I first met Terra a couple years ago while she isn’t here.”

This of course caught Icarus’ interest as he waited for Ulfrik to start so that he could learn more about Terra’s past.
Chapter End Notes:
Next chapter is a Terra chapter that reveals a little about her past.