- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
Finished up this chapter and was quite satisfied with it. Hopefully some more questions got answered. Again please leave a review and tell me what you think. Also is LJin still reading this?
Trying to keep her composer, Terra inspected the man staring up at her. It would be better to gather information before coming up with a plan. Checking out what he had on; Terra noticed that he wore a leather apron, with thick gloves at his waist. He also had a pair of goggles resting on top of his gray head.

“Are you an alchemist by chance?” asked Terra.

“Yep, I am the proud owner of Phillip’s Apothecary.” said Phillip.

“I’ve been searching for an alchemist’s shop since I arrived. Would you mind showing me the way?” asked Terra as friendly as possible.

Seeming interested in having a customer so early in the day and an adventurer at that, Phillip happily led Terra to his shop. Forcing Icarus to walk in front of them, Terra barely paid attention to Phillip’s stories. What surprised Terra was how the town’s people treated him, as they walked back to the shop. It wasn’t just the children and Phillip. The adults treated Icarus without respect. A few would just spit at him, while others would mutter names as they past. A few people even apologized to Phillip as they passed him.

Finally making it to the shop, Terra was surprised that she could stand up in it. Lining both sides of the walls were shelves upon shelves of different potions and elixirs. It would have seemed like an impressive store if Terra didn’t know better. Since the elves disappeared nine years ago, the majority of alchemy secrets left with them. Humans could still make the biggest part of the potions, but without magic they wouldn’t work. The most humans could do now was cure minor diseases, heal cuts and bruises, and the simple energy replenishing elixir. What magical potions were left after the disappearance were either used or sold for extremely high prices.

“Icarus, take these crates to the back.” ordered Phillip pointing at some fairly large boxes.

“So, this Icarus is your slave?” asked Terra glancing through the potions.

“Yeah, but not a very good one, isn’t worth the trouble most of the time.” replied Phillip casting Icarus a dirty glare.

“What do you mean?” asked Terra.

“I sent the brat out into the forest for some special mushrooms, for our signature tonic, and he shows up a week late empty handed. Sent him out with two weeks’ worth of rations, and he tells me that a wolf or a bear ate them the first week in.” said Phillip.

“Rations?” asked Terra.

“Yeah, I give the runt four and a half loaves of bread and some jerky every two weeks, which is more that he deserves.” said Phillip.

Realization dawned on Terra as she realized what Icarus had done for her. Guilt ran through her as she remembered what Icarus sacrificed to help her, knowing the consequences of his actions. Resisting the urge to destroy Phillip and everything in his shop, Terra fought back the tears as she thought of what to do next. Before she could ask, however, a crashing sound came from the back of the shop. Rushing to the back Phillip and Terra were met with the sight of Icarus sitting on the ground with a broken crate at his feet. Terra knew there was no way that he could lift those crates that high.

“What the fuck!? You can’t do one simple job? The crates aren’t that heavy!” yelled Phillip rushing for Icarus. Raising one hand back, Phillip was about to slap Icarus before his hand was caught.

“How much do you want for him?” asked Terra releasing his hand?

“What?” asked Phillip?

“One hundred gold for Icarus.” replied Terra grabbing her coin pouch.

“Why would you want to buy him?” asked Phillip staring up at Terra.

“You said that he is more trouble than he’s worth.” said Terra.

“Do you really want to buy him? He can hardly help me out, and especially so with someone your size.”

“One hundred and fifty gold pieces.” replied Terra.

Thinking for a minute, the shop keeper came up with an idea.

“I’ll sell him to you for two hundred gold pieces.” replied Phillip grinning with confidence

“Deal.” said Terra as she started going through her pouch.

A look of disbelief went across Phillip’s and Icarus’ face as Terra agreed to the amount. Before she could count out the gold, Phillip informed her that they had to go to the mayor in order to make it official. Ordering Icarus to get up, Phillip led Terra outside as the three made their way to the mayor’s house. Again Terra was appalled at the way the villagers treated him, but that was about to change. Terra’s only concern right now was to buy his freedom.

After walking through town for a few minutes, Terra found herself face to face with a mansion. The mayor’s house was easily three times bigger than the houses around it, and had four stories. Leading up the front steps was a pair of double doors made of a dark red wood with a figure of a windmill carved on the front. Coming up to these doors, the company didn’t have to wait long until a maid answered the door. Getting quite a shock at seeing a giant girl staring at her, the maid calmed down after Phillip explained the reason for the visit. Taking them into the library, the maid shot one dirty look over at Icarus before leaving to get the mayor.

The room was fairly large, with shelves of books lining the wall. A fire was burning in one corner as Phillip took a seat in the chair next to the fire. There were a few tables filled with open books and scrap paper in several places. In the far corner of the room was an impressive desk cluttered with more books. Looking through the books, Terra found that they ranged from architecture to zoology. Some were even in languages that she didn’t understand. A few minutes went by until the doors opened as the mayor and another man walked in. The mayor was a tall man, standing around 6’4” with black hair turning grey around the sides. Wearing a pair of circular glasses, Terra knew that this man was a man of knowledge.

“Ah, my friend Phillip, it is so nice to see you. Could you please go up with Frank here and fill out the necessary paperwork?” asked the mayor.

Turning towards Icarus, the mayor produced a small red ball from his pocket and held it out for Icarus. Taking the ball from his hand, Icarus popped it into his mouth as he savored the flavor. Performing a quick set of motions with his hands, the mayor started laughing at as Icarus replied.

“I’ll be sure to add less sugar next time. Would you please wait by the back door with the maid while I talk alone with Terra here?” asked the mayor.

Waiting for Icarus to leave, the mayor turned towards Terra extending out his hand. Holding out hers in reply, Terra was surprised when he kissed the back of it.

“You must be Terra. To tell you the truth I was quite excited when Maria told me there was a giant at my door. My name is Atticus from Titus and it is a pleasure to make your acquaintance.” said Atticus with a slight bow.

“And yours too Atticus.” replied Terra.

“Come, we have a few things to discuss.” said Atticus ushering her over to the chairs.

Taking a seat in a chair near the fire, Atticus apologized for the lack of seating. Sitting on the ground, Terra was still taller than the mayor was sitting. After a few moments the mayor cleared his throat as he began to speak.

“You can’t free him you know.” said the mayor staring at Terra. After a few moments Terra replied “What do you mean I can’t free him?”

“How did you know?” asked Terra.

“When you’ve lived for as long as I have, it becomes second nature to pick up some things.” laughed Atticus.

“Besides only a friend would pay a ridiculous sum of money to buy one’s freedom.”

“Why can’t I free him?” asked Terra starting to feel depressed.

“As you know, the rules of slavery change from time to time. The Senate votes on the law and the King approves the law. Freedom from slavery is defined in detail as it was the recent subject years ago. The reason that Icarus can’t be freed is because the law for freedom was written solely for humans.” said Atticus.

“If that’s true, then how is he a slave? I thought the Elves couldn’t be forced into slavery.” said Terra feeling defected.

“That’s true but Icarus isn’t an elf, nor is he a human so he lies in the gray area. But you are looking at this the wrong way.” answered Atticus with a smile.

“What do you mean?” asked Terra.

“It’s true that Icarus will still be a slave, but that’s just a title. It all depends on how you treat him. You can either treat him as a slave or a friend, possibly a lover.” said Atticus with a wink.

Blushing slightly, Terra pondered the meaning of his words. She was soon interrupted as Atticus cleared his throat.

“Before we go through with this, there is a story that I need to tell you.”