- Text Size +
Day 5
From being betrayed by the three men, and her pack being looted, Terra was near her breaking point. She could understand taking the money, tools, and other objects, but destroying her rations and waterskin in front of her was unforgivable. Despair had long since set in, but Terra didn’t want to accept that fate.

After deciding to go to sleep early before the cold of night set in; Terra was interrupted when a stick snapping caught her attention. Looking up she saw a small figure standing in front of her. Standing around 3’6” tall with pale blond short hair and deep blue eyes stood a child. Or what she thought was a child. He looked older, around 17 or 18, but he was extremely small. Upon further notice, Terra realized that the tip of his ears were pointed and his face slightly angular. Her first thought was that this was an elf, but the elves had disappeared 9 years ago. The fact that all elves were adults didn’t make since. This kid’s features seemed to be a mix of both elf and human.

After a few minutes, the kid turned and walked over to her pack and started rummaging through it. Seeing that this was happening again, Terra started to cry. It was unfair. How could people just take advantage of her situation? She had saved quite a few lives form bandits, animals, trolls, and even small dragons, but now she was being abandoned. When she needed help most, no one would come.

Terra was soon brought out of her thought as she felt a bump on her head. Looking up, she saw the kid holding a normal sized waterskin in front of her face. Taking it slowly, Terra started to gulp down the water inside as the kid started to search through his pack. A few seconds later he pulled out three loaves of bread and a small chunk of what she guessed was jerky. Handing back the now empty waterskin, Terra shoved one small loaf into her mouth as she examined him a little further. He wore a blue tunic a little too big for him and tan pants held up by a rope. His feet were covered in ragged shoes, and his cloak was full of patches.

“Thank you.” whispered Terra as she wiped a tear out of her eye.

Still going through his pack, the kid waved his hand back and forth with a slight smile. After a few moments, he pulled out a small pale and an axe. After attaching the axe to his side, the kid took the bale and waterskin and started to walk away.

“Wait, don’t go!” Terra yelled as pieces of the second loaf left her mouth.

Tuning around the kid pointed to himself and made a walking motion with his hands. He then rose up one finger then pointed in front of her. Guessing that he would be right back, Terra took a bite of the jerky and would wait for him to return.

The food itself was old and stale but when you haven’t eaten in five days, it tasted like heaven. After fifteen minutes of waiting, Terra could see the kid return with a bundle of sticks under one are. In his other arm was a pale of water. Placing the water in front of her, the kid started to try and make a fire. Still feeling thirsty, Terra grabbed for the pale. Her hand was gently slapped away by his much smaller one. Holding up one hand, he motioned her to wait. Upon remembering the basics of survival, Terra felt embarrassed that she forgot about purifying the water before drinking it.

After a few failed attempts, the kid finally got a fire going. Taking his cloak off, the kid motioned towards the fire and the pale of water. He then proceeded to climb up the tree till he stood on top of it. Taking the axe off his hip, the elf started chopping towards the heavier end of the log.

This went on for quite a while as Terra tended to the water. Terra could have easily cut through this tree in a matter of minutes, but this could take some time. Before she knew it, it had become nighttime, before the sound of the ax stopped. A few moments later, the kid came back with a pile of wood in his arms. Without a word, he continued to pile the wood that he had cut into a pile beside the fire. Noticing the pale empty, the kid grabbed it and went towards the wood line. After coming back and putting the pale on the fire, the kid finally took a break.

“Thank you.” said Terra staring at the kid.

Waving a hand back and forth, Terra took this as meaning no problem.

“Can you talk?” asked Terra.

Pondering this, the kid nodded a yes, but held up a finger. He then turned his head to the side and lightly tugged his ear tip.

“Then you are an elf, but the elves could speak.” said Terra.

Getting up, the kid got closer to Terra and started drawing on the ground. He drew two stick figures, one of a man and the other an elf. He then drew an arrow towards a smaller version of the elf.

“So you are a half-elf then. How old are you?”

Drawing in the dirt, he drew a circle with a 20 next to it. Taking a second, Terra figured he meant he was around twenty years old.

“Why are you so small?” asked Terra in which he replied with a shrug.

“What’s your name?” asked Terra.

This one seemed to stump him. After a few minutes, the kid seemed to give up as he stood. Reaching into his pack, he pulled out two pieces of cloth, and handed them to Terra. Wondering what this was for, the kid motioned to put it in her ears. The kid then started to climb the tree and start his work again. Deciding to get some rest, Terra fell asleep to the dulled sound of the kid’s ax.
Chapter End Notes:
Please let me know what you think.