- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

Date In-Story: Monday. October 21st, 2013.

Sarah: 5'6"

Tyler: 5'11"

  It had been a few days now since Sarah had attended the orientation. Having spent most of her time working what hours she could muster and studying for the rest. Her hours were being cut yet again - perhaps out of spite this time... She didn't know what to do. But with weekly payments from Cosmolex, she wasn't nearly as concerned as she was last week.

She'd even spoken to Mrs.Landon about her predicament and been promptly reassured that everything would be alright. She just needed to try and work as hard at this... 'job' as possible. She still didn't completely understand how she could do that - but she was positive she'd be informed.

In fact, in that very moment she was sitting quietly and patiently within the welcoming room of the research facility. Trying to control her breathing as she kept her eyes nervously aimed out through the large and tall windows which dotted the room every half a foot or so. Watching the sun begin to set as the evening continued to grow later.

(This is it, Sarah.) She thinks to herself, (There's no going back. You signed the contract... You're doing this. Whatever 'this' is.) She nods her head.

"Nervous?" Tyler asks, sitting not too far from her.

She nods, "Very. Aren't you?"

Tyler shrugs. "I dunno. Its not like whatever they're going to give us is going to make us grow extra limbs." He chuckles.

"Yeah... Hopefully." Sarah says,

"Come on, don't worry about it. We're getting some pretty good money from this. Its worth it, right?" Tyler asks.

"Sure... But if they're paying that much, don't you think there's some kind of reason we're not being told about?" Sarah asks.

Tyler cocks an eyebrow, "Such as?"

"I don't know... Just seems a little fishy, I guess." She says.

"You're just being paranoid. Besides, even if that were true, you already signed the contract and the non-disclosure agreement thing. Its a bit late now." Tyler chuckles once more, looking out of the window beside him.

Sarah nods, "I guess you're right." She says as the doors at the front hallway behind the receptionists desk open up, Dr.Hallman stepping through and making a B-line straight towards the both of them.

"Good evening, Sarah, Tyler." Hallman smiles, nodding respectfully to the both of them before clasping his hands behind his back. "Are we ready to begin?" He asks.

Sarah looks from Tyler and then back to Dr.Hallman before nodding her head. "I suppose so." She says.

"Feeling a bit nervous, are we?" Hallman asks as Tyler gets to his feet.

Sarah nods.

"Don't worry, that's common in this line of work. But it will pass, I'm sure." Hallman says before turning on his heels to lead the both of them back down the hallway he'd come from and towards what Sarah thought was the laboratory.

Though she watches as they pass right by the room she could have sworn was the lab originally. She looks back towards Hallman, watching as they proceed deeper into the facility before reaching another set of fire doors at the end of the hall. 

She looks up to a sign over the doors reading 'Apex Wing' and blinks. Wanting to ask, but saying nothing as she looks back down to see Hallman swiping his key card and inputing a seperate code before the doors click open.

"Here's where we'll be spending most of our time for the first week or two." Hallman explains as he pulls them wide open, revealing another long hallway flanked on all sides by doors.

"Looks the same as the rest of the building to me." Tyler chuckles, following the doctor inside as he looks at the bland white walls. There were no tall windows to the outside world here, however. Only artificial light.

"Ah, but looks can be deceiving." Hallman replies. Sarah listening as the fire doors slowly swing shut behind them and click locked once more.

"The Apex Wing comprises the first set of testing. Once we're done in here we'll head on to the Hercules wing. But that won't be for a couple of weeks like I said." Hallman says as he stops before the third door down on the left. Pulling it open to an examination room where Ms.Hayes can be seen sitting on a computer inputing some information.

She turns her head back to the arriving group and smiles, "Welcome!" She says.

"Hey," Sarah smiles in return a tad sheepishly. Looking left to right at all of the medical equipment. It just seemed like the same kind of room one might find at a clinic.

"So this is where we start, eh?" Tyler asks, looking it over himself.

"Precisely." Hallman says, "Ms.Hayes, would you mind taking their measurements while I start preparing the first dosages?" He asks.

Ms.Hayes nods, "Of course, doctor." She says and stands to her feet, retrieving some measuring tape from a nearby drawer and beginning towards the two. "I'm going to need the two of you to remove your shoes." She says.

Both Sarah and Tyler are quick to comply before taking their places against a flat wall to their left at Ms.Hayes' instruction.

"Hmm..." Ms.Hayes mutters quietly, starting first with Sarah. "Five' six, huh? You're only an inch shorter than me." She smiles before moving over towards Tyler. "Five' eleven." She nods, moving back towards the desk she'd originally been seated at. Taking a few notes as Sarah breaths in the scent of.... Eugh, hospital.

She shudders a bit, hoping that perhaps she'll grow accustomed to it soon enough as Dr.Hallman begins back towards them with two small paper cups, handing one to each of them respectively.

"One for you aaand one for you." He nods, "Just let those dissolve under your tongues while I go and grab you each some water." He says, pressing out of the room and down the hallway.

"So the rest of the information here on your applications is current and accurate?" Ms.Hayes asks as the two pop the pills into their mouths and both nods.

"Great," She says, before motioning for Sarah to step on a weighing scale. "We just need to recheck a few things for our own records." She says, taking notes on both of their current weights and general condition as Hallman returns with two glasses of water.

"You can wash it down now." He says, "So, I think its important to let the two of you know that we'll be needing you to stay the night here at the facility. We have proper accomodations for overnight residents. With any luck we'll only need you here for tonight." He nods.

"The night? You want us to sleep here?" Sarah asks as she washes the dissolved pill down her throat.

Hallman nods once more, "Precisely."

"Can I ask why?" She asks,

"Well we just want to ensure that you don't have any sudden or unexpected adverse reactions to the pills before we send you on your way. Just a simple precaution." Hallman smiles.

"Eh, sounds legit." Tyler shrugs his shoulders.

"Its standard procedure, really. After all, these chemicals are still in research phase and there's really no telling what kinds of effects they might have outside of what we're expecting." Hallman explains.

"Its true!" Ms.Hayes grins, "There's no telling; what if they turn you into bugs?" She laughs.

"Ms.Hayes." Hallman warns semi-amusedly. "Try not to worry them, will you?" He asks, before smiling back to the two.

"Only if I can be a spider." Tyler says, trying to play along and grinning back towards Sarah who gives a nervous half-smile.

"Now now. Neither of you will have anything like that to worry about." Hallman says, "Ms.Hayes? Why don't you go and show these two to their rooms?" He asks.

Ms.Hayes nods, "Right away, doctor." She says before beginning towards the door, pulling it open again and heading out into the hall.

"Ms.Hayes?" Sarah asks,

"Hmm?" The girl mumbles,

"If you don't mind my asking, what's your first name?" Sarah asks,

"Karen." Ms.Hayes responds, stopping before a door not far down the hall and sliding in a key before pulling it open. Revealing a long room with an attached bathroom and medical styled beds.

It was a rather simple accomodation. Its colour matching the rest of the building thus far. There was little to do entertainment wise; though there was a TV in the back with a small living room area and a few magazines and books. The floor it self was barren of any kind of rugs or mats. Simple laminate for easy cleaning with little in the way of tables or dressers for them to put things down upon.

Only the single coffee table before the couch.

Sarah looks inside as Ms.Hayes' steps in.

"As you can see," She begins, "This room is fit to house at least two others. But you're the only two applicants we've had for advanced study. So at least you'll have lot's of room this evening to move around." She smiles, "I'm sorry, I know there's not much to do in here. But you'll only be here one night. It won't be so bad, right?" She asks.

Tyler nods, shrugging, "Yeah, it'll be fine. I can always browse my phone." He says.

"Phone?" Ms.Hayes says, "I'm sorry, didn't they confiscate your phones and media devices when you got in?" She asks, looking confusedly towards Tyler and then Sarah.

"N-No? Why would they?" Sarah asks, raising an eyebrow in equal confusion.

Ms.Hayes tries to crack a smile, "Well, the radio waves they put off can disrupt the more sensitive electronic equipment we have here in the facility." She explains.

"Really?" Sarah asks as she begins to dig in her purse for her phone and tablet. Now that she thought about it, she remembered seeing 'No Phone' signs in hospitals and clinics before. She pulls out her devices, willingly handing them straight over to Ms.Hayes who soon retrieves Tyler's as well.

"Don't worry, you'll get these back as soon as you leave." She says as she steps back out into the hallway, stopping in the doorway, "Why don't you two get acquainted with the room for now and I'll go see if I can order some dinner for everybody. Is everyone alright with Chinese? Maybe pizza?" She asks.

"Chinese? That would be great." Sarah smiles,

"I'm good. I already ate. Maybe just some cola, though?" Tyler asks.

Ms.Hayes nods, shutting the door and soon pressing off down the hallway to make a few phone calls.

 

Chapter End Notes:

Bam!