- Text Size +

    “At first, “ Maia said, pushing herself back so she leaned against the pillows, “it was sexual in nature. What Sylisia wanted was simply to have fun, to experience her fantasies about having a girl between her legs. I did everything she asked.”

    The notion of having to submit herself to someone else certainly bothered her, Matthew thought. Especially the kind of way she was describing. It now made sense why she chose sexual themes when dealing with her victims.

    Still, the gap between the events of her story so far and present circumstances was far too big, and he had an incredible amount of questions. But he did not want to break the flow of her tale; he could see that she was eager to tell it, to unburden herself perhaps. Maybe she thought Matthew could somehow understand. But what was there to understand, he did not know yet. So he remained silent, and listened.

    “It was innocent, those first few weeks.” She said. “Sylisia simply wanted to use me. I think she would have prefered me to have loved her, but the war had made it impossible. Either way, she had to keep her inclination a secret. Holding my sister hostage bound me to her will with ease.”

    Matthew pushed himself back against the pillows too, crossing his arms and legs as he listened. Maia leaned her head against his shoulder, and spoke on while both watched the flames of the fireplace on the other end of the room.

    “Sylisia let me visit her every few days. I spent time with Kaia, telling her everything I found out about the events of the war. I thought she was treated well. She constantly nagged me about my relationship with Syl, but I always told her that I was only keeping Syl company, she could not afford to have us both in her presence, so Kaia would have to stay in the prison.

    “But then things started to change. Sylisia had seen me as this delicate possession until that point, a precious toy. She would care for me every day, talk to me even though I did not respond most of the time, cuddle with me while sleeping. It was like I was some sort of teddy bear to her. But as weeks went by, that spark of initial excitement had faded, and her games grew more rough. She started caring less about her toy’s well being and more about getting the most out of it.

    “I did not understand the change at the time, but I do now by experience. I could not understand how this sweet, innocent girl could transform so much and become this monster, but I now understand that it’s not her that changed, but my image in her eyes. I was not a human anymore, I was her pet, and she gradually found out that she could do anything to her plaything. Thus, to get back that initial excitement, she had to invent more interesting games.”

    Matthew wondered if there was a double meaning in her words. Though circumstances differed, his situation was still similar to the one she was describing. She saw him as an interesting toy in the beginning, but would it fade away in her eyes as time went on? Of course it would. The more appropriate question was: What then?

    “One day, “ she continued, “ she told me I could not call her by her name anymore, I had to call her master from that point on. Her games grew more forceful, humiliating. She started making me kiss her feet, praise her as if she was a divine being, made me beg to please her. And she started walking me around the palace perimeters, held on a leash tied on a collar around my neck like a dog.”

    Matthew was honestly surprised with her calmness considering the words that came out of her mouth. She was much more composed than earlier. It’s like she was switching between her past self and present one, two entirely different people. He wanted to find out where the dividing line lay.

    “It’s funny.” She said, letting out a small laugh. “I lost my virginity to her. She would put on this wooden stick with a flat base on her crotch, tying it around her waist, and… “ she trailed, sighing.

    She remained silent for a little while after that, lost in her memories again. Matthew needed to bring her back. “And I’m guessing you don’t need a wooden stick for her in return.”

    A smile crept on her face. “Trust me, Matthew.” She said. “No, single person that you have seen here would want to be in her place. Nine years is a long time as my toy.

    “Anwyay, another day, she announced that she would be making a trip and visit her father in one of the captured cities, and that I would accompany her.”

    ---

    Maia watched the trees of the late-summer countryside pass by as the train sped through it, leaning her head against the glass on the window while Sylisia read a book. Maia had grown weary, numb. Her life had lost almost all purpose, and now she was away from the only light that kept her clinging against the dark abyss of depression. She did not know how long she would be away from her sister.

    They arrived on the city of Kirs in four days. It was the third largest city of Maia’s nation, located halfway between the border and the capital in the coast. Its buildings were ridden with bullet holes, some collapsed entirely from artillery shells, while half of the city on the opposite bank of the river had been scorched by fire.

    They drove through the streets in a car, both her and Sylisia in the backseat. Watching the city behind the window, Maia slowly acknowledged that she was one of the more fortunate of her kind. Despite the situation she found herself in, she still had a bed to sleep on, warm meals and relative enclosure form spiteful eyes. Outside, she saw hunger, she could smell the lingering scent of rape, and could feel the touch of death. There was nothing but despair on the faces of the few redheads she saw wandering through the streets. The army had rained down hard upon the helpless population after victory.

    Helplessness is what she felt too in those moments. She could do nothing about it, about the grand injustice that was happening outside the glass pane. She felt weak, utterly useless, and hated herself for submitting to Sylisia. That old sense of warmth started creeping through her veins, begging for release. Anger, rage that threatened to explode inside of her. She clenched her fists, gritted her teeth, tensing every muscle in her body.

    Remember your sister.

    She fought it, suppressing it with every cost. She had to. There was no point in her anger, it would be no use but to have her own live forfeited along with her sister’s. Kaia depended on her, and she would not fail her.

    “I see.” Sylisia said. She had been watching Maia the entire time. “That anger you told me about. I thought I had given you plenty of opportunity to go crazy so far, but it seems I was wrong. I may have to redouble my efforts then.”

    Maia remained silent, ignoring her teasing.

    They arrived at the designated HQ, only to find out that the Sovereign had left for a camp outside the city. He and most of his generals were attending a demonstration by the army, but Sylisia couldn’t find out what kind of demonstration, and did not want to pass the opportunity. They left for the camp immediately.

    It was a half an hour’s drive outside the city, a huge mass wooden, barn-like buildings constructed in lines, entirely surrounded by barbed fences and wires. Maia had thought it was an army camp at first, but as they got closer and saw mass of red hair lined up throughout them, she understood. It was an internment camp. She shivered at the thought of what a demonstration now meant.

    “Remember, “ Sylisia said as they arrived and stepped out of the car. “Do not speak unless spoken to. Do not address anyone by their name, only master and mistress. Keep your head down. Stay two steps behind me. Sit on your shins next to my seat.”

    Maia replied with a small nod.

    “And put this on.” She gave Maia the collar. There was a moment of hesitation, but she did what Sylisia asked. She needed to get through the ordeal, resisting would be unwise.

    She did not look up as they moved, but knew they approached some kind of platform. Guards surrounded it, and some very important people sat on the seats, shaded from the heat of the sun.

    “Ah, Sylisia!” It was the Sovereign who spoke. He had a deep, characteristic voice, always spoke on a very leveled tone. He sported an impressive moustache, but his defining characteristic was his missing left hand that he had lost on a border skirmish between the two nations back when he was young. It was the man that had killed her father, and doomed millions to their deaths. “I’m glad you made it. And I see you brought your little pet with you.”

    A murmur of suppressed laughter arose all around her. Maia could feel their eyes on her skin. She was standing out a lot with her bright, scarlet hair in the midst of the drakhairs.

    “Thank you for inviting me, father!” Sylisia said, bowing. “Victory is ever in your favor.” They climbed on the wooden platform, and Sylisia started greeting all the most important generals by their names as she went past them. She at stopped a seat before his father’s.

    Maia could sense it, though it was very faint. What it was, she did not know. It was like trying to describe light to a blind man or sound to a deaf one, an entirely new sense. The closest approximation was like feeling the weight of a presence upon your body. It vanished as quickly as she became aware of it.

    And Sylisia still hadn’t spoken a name. An unbearable urge forced Maia to shift her eyes, just enough to understand what made Sylisia silent. She saw the shoes of a woman, black stockings and a dark skirt. She could not fight the urge to look up more, so she shifted her eyes again. She saw a woman with sunglasses and a large black hat staring at her.

    Sylisia’s scowl that Maia saw on the corner of her eye made her lower her head immediately, but the afterimage of the woman remained, especially a little detail: buns of golden hair behind her head, just beneath the rim of her hat.

    Sylisia cleared her throat. “Lady Aria!”

    “Hmm?” A sound came from the woman. “Oh, hello dear! That is one very special pet you have there!” Her voice was melodic. Who is this woman?

    “Thank you.” Sylisia said.

    “What is your name?”

    “Her name is-”

    “I did not ask you.” She cut Silysia off. She cut the Sovereign’s daughter off, right in front of the Sovereign himself. Who is this woman? A little silence stretched before Maia became aware of the meaning of her words. She looked up, confused. Sylisia was glaring at her with another scowl, nodding for her to respond.

    “My-, my name is Maia.” She said without looking back at the woman, again lowering her head instead.

    “Maia...” The woman said, her voice trailing. “Anyway, I’m terribly sorry to have kept you on you feet, dear Sylisia.”

    Sylisia bowed, then tug on Maia’s leash. She sat next to her father, and Maia rested on her shins beside her seat. She could feel the anger emanating from Sylisia. And somehow, Maia felt disappointed that Syl had lied to her about not knowing the golden-haired woman, as absurdly as it seemed. That woman seemed to command a huge amount of respect.

    “What kind of demonstration is this, Father?” Sylisia said.

    “Not a demonstration.” The Sovereign said, his voice unchanged. “We are here to oversee proceedings of formal labour transfer back to our home before we head towards the front line.”

    “You are shipping them off to work as slave labor?”

    The Sovereign sighed a little at Sylisia’s lack of formality. “Yes. Although it is summer, their kind are starving. Two million are already dead due to lack of food, we are going to make them work for every crumb of it.”

    Two million. Maia shivered.

    “Logical.” Sylisia said. “What about those who can’t?”

    “What do you think?” He said. “They will be disposed of, of course. We will cleanse this land, rebuild it for us, they will provide the labour. Anyone that incapable or unwilling is of no use to us.”

    A barrage of rifle shots could be heard at that moment. Maia raised her head slightly, enough to get a view of the camp in front of them, and saw the falling bodies inside, all redhairs. Executed.

    Keep it together.

    “They look like able-bodied men.” Sylisia said. “Why kill them?”

    “Deserters, cowards, thieves. They are to be made an example.”

    “Ah.” Sylisia watched as another line of men were brought in view. Maia took a look at them too, she had never seen such fear on anyone’s face.

    “That one looks cute.” Sylisia said, pointing at one of them, barely eighteen.  “What did he do?”

    The Sovereign waved a hand, and one of the General’s officers approached. He asked the officer about his penalty.

    “Stole a loaf of bread, Sovereign.” The officer replied.

    “There you have it.” The Sovereign said.

    Sylisia stood up, turning at him “Can I try?”

    The Sovereign looked at her. “Try?”

    “Yes.” She said. “You’ve taught me to hunt with the rifle well enough. Let me try it myself!”

    “You want to kill him yourself?”

    “To put him down, you mean.”

    The Sovereign paused a little, contemplating the strange request before answering, “I don’t see why not.” He turned at the officer again. “Give her your rifle.”

    The officer obliged. Maia dared to look at Sylisia, to see the smile on her face. She really dead mean her words. Maia was horrified. How could a person transform so much? How could the innocent girl that she once knew become willing to kill just to try it out?

    The officer headed back and told the guards to separate the unfortunate boy while Sylisia took a look at the rifle, felt its weight and tried its aim. Then she pointed it at the boy, barely more than a hundred yards away, every bit confident in her posture.

    She pulled the trigger and hit the boy on his right thigh, causing him to fall into the ground, screaming. Warmth exploded within Maia, and she knew she would not be able to hold it back this time. It was too much, some kind of twisted evil had befallen her world.

    “Not bad, but I know you are a better shot than that.” The Sovereign waved a hand again, and the guards forced the bleeding boy to get back up and stand on his still working leg. He still screamed the whole time, but stood. The darkhairs had instilled such fear in him that he still obeyed.

    “Still getting a feel for the rifle.” Sylisia aimed again. Her next shot landed on his shoulder, further mortal screams erupting from the lad as he fell on the ground again.

    It would be the end for Maia. There was no hope that she could cling to anymore. It was useless to still pretend, one day she would end just like that boy while Sylisia played one last game with her. At least she would chose how to end, and hope that Kaia would be given a relatively painless death.

    The next shot came, announcing the final death of the boy while Maia lowered her head and closed her eyes, gathering all the strength and control of her shaking form that she could muster. She wanted to hurt her, to hurt all of them badly.

    A hand tugged her chin up, and the blue eyes soothed her every fibre instantly. They were marvellous, the most beautiful eyes she had ever seen. She couldn’t understand how it was possible for one to have such eye color, it transcended both races.

    “Calm down, dear.” The golden-haired, blue-eyed woman said. “Least you wreck havoc to this entire place.”

    “I…” Maia did not know what to say, she did not understand the meaning of her words. Was she being sarcastic? “Who are you?”

    The woman, Aria, smiled. She then motioned her head forward and spoke softly on Maia’s ear. “Play the part that you have played so far for a little longer, we’ll meet again in the future. You won’t regret it.”

 

Chapter End Notes:

One more chapter, and the story will be back to some action. :)