- Text Size +

Nope. Ebony is in fact 100% alive and well, aside from the bruises that now pattern her arms and legs, which are practically coated in thick dust. She lets out a racking cough as Cameron fishes her out of the vacuum’s dust collection capsule by the waist. I wince, noticing a few dust motes exiting her mouth as she gags. Biting my lip, I finally register the pain coursing through my own body; the aftermath of being handled so roughly by my none-too-gentle twin brother. A shudder runs down my spine, despite the fact that I’ve been squeezed in that manor hundreds of times beforehand. Heck, I used to have to be separated from my brother as a six year old because he thought I was one of his action figures. 

Craning my neck slightly to meet his eyes, I shoot Cameron a weary look. “Take her to my shower, bro. I’ll get there eventually.” I say, my stomach churning. Geeze. I hope I haven’t bruised a rib or something, again. Mum usually gets Dr. Jack to come around for those sorts of dilemmas (which happen a little too often in this family). Shaking the thought of seeing my all-time favourite doctor aside, I focus on the events unfolding around me. Which, if you’ve forgotten basically involve Ebony’s battered form, my sheepish brother as he holds her and both mum and Pauline Sawyer. Three of which are giants compared to my smaller stature. 

Mum gives Pauline an apologetic look before kneeling down beside Cameron. I take a few steps back, out of caution that she can see where I am on the footpath. My hang glider is still strapped to my back, although is probably wrecked after being crushed along with me in Cameron’s steel grip. I stare glumly at my socked feet, recalling how long it had taken me to actually build that thing. 

“I’ll take Ebony, Cameron.” Mum says, a little sternly to my brother, holding her hand under Ebony’s dangling form. The smaller girl lets out another hacking cough/sob as she’s placed gently into her waiting palm. Once Ebony is cradled to her chest and secure, mum’s eyes flicker briefly to me, standing a few centimetres from her sneaker clad feet. She’s about to scoop me into her other hand when she notices me flinch slightly. Her hand drops back to her side. “You okay, Marcus?” Mum asks, looking worried.

I wave it off with a hand. “I’ll be fine… just don’t want to be manhandled for a while, if you’re okay with that. I’ll get upstairs myself.” I explain with a tired smile. I shut my eyes tightly in attempt to ignore the searing pain in my upper body. Maybe I’m hurt after all… 

Cameron’s equally worried face suddenly fills my entire peripheral vision like a giant billboard, and despite everything, I wince again. “Are you alright, Marco?” He asks, looking almost hurt. He stares down at his open palms before stuffing his hands in the gaping pockets of his hoody with an ashamed expression. “I’m really sorry for grabbing at you like that, bro.” 

“It’s cool.” I say, patting the tip of his nose with my hand. I can’t help but smile as he goes cross eyed trying to get a better look at me. I rotate my waist again, earning another sharp crack. “But seriously; how many Weet Bix did you have this morning, cause that was one mean squeeze!” 

I have a feeling that my attempt at a joke only makes things worse, because Cameron’s apologetic smile droops into a frown. “Four… but that’s beside the point. Marcus, I didn’t hurt you, did I?” He asks cautiously. 

“Well…” I bite my lip. “To be honest, hmmm… you know how mum took us to that theme park ‘Dreamworld’ the other day, and you went on that ‘Claw’ ride? And afterwards you told me how the harness you wore really dug you into the back of the seat?” Cameron nods, raising an eyebrow at my topic of conversation. “Well, if you multiply that discomfort by about ten, then that would be what basically all of my experiences with you squeezing me feel like.” I finish, clapping my hands together. 

Cameron lets out a long sigh, before rolling his giant blue eyes. “You have the strangest ways of describing things, bro.” He says with a smile. “So you’re not mad at me?” 

I give his cheek a gentle punch. “Course not! I’m just a little shaken up is all.” 

Cameron’s response is to raise his own fist and ever so slightly tap the side of my body with his knuckles, causing me to stumble sideways a little. I laugh softly at the gesture, earning me a returning smile. 

“Well, I’m glad you two’ve worked it out! I’ll take Ebony up for a shower and put some coffee on, hey?” Mum says, more to Pauline than us. Cameron holds out his hand to me from his kneeled position on the pavement. 

“You sure you don’t want a lift?” He asks. 

I crack another grin and shrug. “I spose it’d be faster than walking…” I drawl. 

“On those w’ittle legs of yours it would.” Cameron snickers in a purposely childish voice. I slap the side of his hand angrily before plonking myself down in the centre of his palm, the size of a queen sized bed at my scale. “Ouch!” My brother protests mockingly, causing me to drive my elbow into my fleshy ride. 

“I appreciate the offer, Rach, but I’ve got a few errands to run for the Mr.” Mrs Sawyer replies to mum’s previous question. Cameron rises to his feet to stand beside our mother, me huddled protectively against his chest. As soon as his hand is steady, I crawl up his arm to plonk myself down at my usual perch on his shoulder. 

Pauline reaches across to stroke Ebony’s dust covered back gently. I can’t get a good look at my old friend from my vantage point, but I know she’s not in a good mood after the vacuum incident. Mum’s told me on multiple occasions that Ebony suffers from severe depression and that’s the reason she’s here in the first place. Ebony, like me, lives in a world much too big for her and both our mum’s figured it would boost her self-esteem to spend some time with someone else her own size. And that person is *drumroll* me! 

“You feeling okay, Eb?” Mrs Sawyer asks now to the small girl seated in mum’s cupped hands. 

“Not really.” She whispers in reply, her voice loud enough to reach my hypersensitive ears but not those of the three normal sized people. “Fine, mum.” She says in a louder tone. I let out a sigh at her original response… although given the fact that she’s just been given a grand tour of what’s inside our vacuum cleaner, it’s somewhat understandable that she’s feeling glum. I would be. 

“I’m really sorry, Pauline.” Cameron pipes up for what feels like the thousandth time. “I was cleaning up the house a bit for your arrival and…” 

“Seriously Cam? That’s your best excuse?” I butt in with an eye roll. 

“ANYWAY…” Our mother says loudly. “You’re sure you have to go so suddenly?” 

Pauline sighs under her breath, looking almost as weary as I do. “I’m afraid so. We’ve got a long drive to Brisbane ahead of us, anyways.” Her eyes flicker to Ebony, who lets out another small cough. She wipes her mouth with the sleeve of her shirt, only coating her face with more of the vacuum’s dust. “I’ve given your things to Rachel, hun. They’re up in Marcus’s room for you.” 

Ebony nods, without meeting her mother’s eyes. “Cool, thanks.” She mumbles. 

Pauline purses her lips and as she meets my own mum’s eyes once more, I notice that they’re glistening with tears. “Keep her safe, Rach.” She says solemnly, taking a step back towards our house’s front gate. “Thanks for everything.” 

Mum shoots her a worried look. “If you want someone to talk to, Pauline, I’m a phone call away.” She calls out, as the other woman latches the gate behind her. The four of us are silent as her black station wagon drives off and disappears behind a corner. Only when mum speaks up do Cameron and I register what’s going on. “Ok… I’ll take Ebony up for a shower, so Cameron, why don’t you take Marcus up too.” 

“Sure.” Cameron says in reply. 

“Great.” Mum smiles, before glancing briefly at me as I sit with my legs dangling over the side of Cameron’s shoulder. “You sure you’re not injured, Marcus?” She asks. 

I purse my lips, considering for a moment before answering in the most reassuring voice I’m able to muster while feeling like hell in the stomach. “Um… just queasy. I’m fine though… serious!” I reply. I’m granted another warm smile from our mother, who reaches out with her free hand to stroke my back using her index finger. Eyes widening in embarrassment, I do my best to push the tree trunk sized digit away… and the blush forming across my cheeks. “Mum… Not with a girl here!” I hiss, and instantly regret it, knowing my ‘normal’ sounding voice is much like a yell to others my size, although it isn’t often that I come to realise that. Well, Ebony does and smiles sheepishly from my mother’s cupped hand, drawing her legs to her chest. 

“It’s good to see you by the way, Ebby!” I say at what a midget would call a normal volume, knowing full well that neither mum nor Cameron can hear my softer voice. 

“Thanks.” She calls back in the same level of noise. 

I smile to myself. This is going to be a great weekend!

Chapter End Notes:

Please Comment!