- Text Size +

As class ends, I clamper onto Thomas’s waiting hand and he stands to his full height, successfully giving me motion sickness. He grabs his pencils and worksheets and stuffs them into his canvas schoolbag with his free hand and slips the straps over his shoulders. “That lesson went quickly.” I say, my IPod under one arm as I sit cross legged on Thomas’s palm. He giggles.

 

“Not really, MiniMark.” He sighs.

 

“I thought you said you’d stop calling me that, Atomic Boy!” I snicker.

 

“I thought you said you’d stop calling me that!”

 

Exasperated, I hold out my hand. Thomas winks as I shake his entire finger. “Ok, we’re even then.” I confirm with a nod. I focus my attention now on the growing mob of students that have gathered around us. It’s seriously like my own little midget fan club! Some of the kids even have IPhones they’re using as cameras.

 

“Ok, guys! Save the paparazzi for outside! Give Marcus some space!” Ms Harrington laughs from the front of the classroom. After a moment, the mob parts so Thomas can walk into the hall with me in his cupped hand acting like the real life midget I am. I open my IPod to Kik Messenger and tap on the free wifi, before texting my brother.

 

Hey little bro! If there’s a commotion in the hall, it’s my fault. After a few seconds, the device beeps as he replies.

 

You said you’d sit with me at lunch! Cameron says, with a sad face on the end.

 

Principal said no. I reply hastily, jamming my palms onto the keyboard, which earns a good chorus of ‘awws’ from my crowd. Gtg, bro. Geeze, these kids are ready to kiss me!

 

I push down on the lock button and the screen goes dark, leaving me with the dreaded fan club. A quick glance up at Thomas tells me he’s got no clue how to get away. The crowd of chattering students have come from all directions, so the two of us are practically trapped in the sea.

 

“Wanna sit with us at break?” Is the most common question the girls are screaming. Heck, half these fangirls are fanboys. I can’t help but giggle a little at that. Thomas has gone white as a sheet. Clearly, he hasn’t had the liberty of becoming Mr Popular before. Then again, neither have I. I refuse to go pale, though. It seriously ruins my dignity, and dignity my friend, is something I like to maintain, being a midget and all. I really should stop thanking god for my shiny black earmuffs, but I hope he’s listening because I’m saying it again. At least they’re muffling the buzzing noises coming from the students’ mouths.

 

At my size, everything, even whispering is amplified by twenty. I’m probably better than a dog, with my hearing. If I tried hard enough, I’d probably be able to hear my brother talking, but it’s hard when my ears are currently being busted by the shouting kids in front of me. That’s probably why I decide to rage quit.

 

“Can you guys either whisper or back off?!” I yell over the hysterical girls…. And guys. I pat my earmuffs to emphasize my point. “Midget with sensitive ears alert!”

 

Instantly, my fans shut up. It’s like someone has pressed the mute button on the TV. My ears ring from the sudden lack of noise. “Thank you.” I say with a long sigh. Thomas looks relieved too. He’s finally breathing again. Geeze, if he’d blacked out on me, I’m kinda too small to do CPR so… Why do I always have to think bad thoughts?

 

“I’m sorry.” Someone says.

 

“That’s alright.” I reply instantly. The crowd looks baffled, most likely due to the fact that I can talk, in general. Usual reaction. I’m not exactly surprised. Not in the slightest. “Um…” I say. “If you’re taking photos, I’d prefer not to go on Face Book, or YouTube…” I trail off, unsure of what to say. Should have added Instagram.

 

“Do you have Face Book?” Someone asks. I’d call that random, but I kind of just brought up the topic so if I should blame anyone, yeah, it’s me.

 

“Yes.” I say. “Does anyone have any food to spare, by the way?” I’ve only just noticed how freaking loud my stomach is growling. Well, it’s loud for a midget of a stomach like mine, at least. I haven’t eaten all day, so let’s just say I’m famished to be technical. Ok, thinking back on that, I should never have asked that question. Because moments after, an entire hamburger is shoved in my face; pattie, swiss cheese and all. The thing’s what- three or four times my size. I stare at the cheesy, meaty goodness for a moment before tearing a piece of greasy pattie off the burger and popping it into my mouth.

 

“You’re adorable!” A girl squeals instantly. I feel myself blushing, not by choice but as an automatic response. I swallow my mouthful of pattie and reach out for the waiting hamburger which is still held directly in front of me. Before helping myself, though, I look up to see my feeder. He’s smiling sheepishly and has a thin, angular face with jet black hair. The way his teeth glint when he grins and his green eyes twinkle gives me the impression that he’s the popular kid in the grade.

 

“Thanks, man.” I say, as I grab more burger. Meanwhile, Thomas- the guy who’s actually doing the honours in holding me level in his hand is back to statue mode. I tap his thumb gently and he snaps into consciousness like he’s just come out of a coma.

 

“Can we… go to lunch, guys?” Thomas asks tentatively, moving his hand away from the burger. I reach out dramatically for the food but sulk back into sitting as he slides me onto his shoulder. I grip his thick shirt material before facing my crowd again.

 

“Why do you get to hold Marcus?” Burger boy asks as he re-wraps the burger and shoves it in his bag. He folds his arms and frowns. Thomas shifts on his feet nervously.

 

“B-b-because…” 

 

“Because I trust him.” I finish for him. “Although, kid, you’re in my debt now for that burger. Did your mum make that?’

 

Burger kid looks bewildered, particularly because I’m speaking so calmly. What? Just because I’m a midget, doesn’t mean I’m a shy little mute! “Um… yeah, she did…” He stumbles over the words.

 

I lick the grease off my fingers. “Tell her she’s a good cook, then.”

 

“Erm, alright.” Burger kid says.

 

“My mum’s a good cook, too!” A girl pipes up ecstatically, making me groan. I gaze up at Thomas and shoot him an apologetic look.

 

“Can you get these people away?” I whisper. He nods once and moves forward awkwardly, the crowd parting to let him through.

 

“Wanna sit with us this break, Marcus?” A few girls ask at the same time. When I put faces to the speakers, I realise it’s Gabby and a few other randoms from maths class.   

 

“Sure.” I smile. “That is, if Thomas here wants to.”

 

Thomas stiffens up before nodding. The girls link their arms together like they’ve been friends for years (which could be possible, of course) and guide us away from my now dwindling fan club so we’re walking down the hall. Kids brush past Thomas but no one really gives me a second glance, most likely because they’re too preoccupied to pause.

 

“So Marcus.” One of the girls asks as we walk. She moves so she’s walking directly beside me on Thomas’s shoulder.

 

“Yeah?” I say.

 

The giantess of a chick grins, showing green and pink braces. Her brown hair is tied in a messy ponytail and her eyes are a soft brown that reminds me of pure melted chocolate. “How long have you been tiny?” She asks.

 

I roll my eyes. “Eight years now. I’m turning fourteen next week.” I reply, flashing her a grin of my own.

 

“You were kept down a year?”

 

“Yeah, ‘cause of home schooling.” I say. Brunette with braces nods in understanding and continues walking. The hallway is packed with students, but the girls have soon found us a somewhat quiet location out the front under a tree, which is a safe haven for my previously busted ears. There aren’t many other students around and I’m glad because I don’t like too many people gawking at me at once. It gets seriously annoying after eight years of midgetness.

 

The girls form a makeshift circle and Thomas sits down with them. As he pulls out his lunch, I scramble down his arm and drop into the waist high grass he’s sitting on. Each blade is like a thick piece of rubber, to me. Just as I’m about to speak to one of the girls, a particular face in the mob of students passing meets my eyes.

 

“Marcus!” Cameron looks remotely distressed. “Oh my GOD! Where the hell have you been?”

 

Talk about overprotective siblings.