- Text Size +

I’m used to the way everyone else moves around me- wild, powerful movements that can easily outrank my own- but the way Cameron bounds over to our little (as an understatement on my behalf) group and practically plucks me off the grass with his thumb and index finger is enough to give me severe motion sickness.

 

“Marcus! Are you ok? Oh GOD where have you been all morning?! I looked for you everywhere at lunch-“ My brother pauses when he notices my weary, marginally green form, cradled in the palm of his hand. My head spins uncontrollably, to a point where everything has gone blurry.

 

“Midgets…… too…… fast……. Owww……” I stammer out, the hamburger pieces in my stomach threatening to make an uninvited reappearance. The girls and Thomas look down at their food, avoiding eye contact with my fuming twin brother. In all truthfulness, Cameron looks scary, with the frown stretched across his usually calm face. His frown evaporates though, after he notices my bleary expression, and turns into concern.

 

“Marcus, bro. I’m sorry…” He rubs the back of his neck with his free hand, looking stressed. “Sometimes I forget you’re a midget who’s super sensitive…”

 

I would honestly say something at this point, but I feel ready to hurl all over my brother’s clean, soap smelling hand. I’m not gonna lie; my puke would be like a miniscule bird poo to him, but I really don’t feel like throwing my guts on the first day of high school. Being a midget and all, it’s important that I keep my dignity, and pull off a brave face. Particularly so people don’t ride me off as what I am. Which is a guy too small to fight back.

 

“It’s….. ‘k” I manage to stutter up at my brother. I know Cameron’s worried about me. Heck, I’m in the process of cursing my stupid midget self as he stares down at me with genuine concern. Finally, my head stops spinning and I’m able to right myself to standing on Cameron’s palm, ignoring how high up I am at this scale. I adjust the earmuffs over my ears so they’re on properly and sigh. “Sorry, Cam. The principal told me I should make some friends.” I gesture with my arm to the makeshift group of girls with the addition of Thomas who are all staring at their food like it’s the last thing they’re going to look at. “And I guess I did.”

 

Cameron bites his enormous lip. I’m annoyed that he’s pulled me up, just as I was actually talking to some new people, but I try to hide it as I face off my twin. “Look, Marcus. Those kids might seem nice and all, but what if you piss them off?” I flinch at his words. “You’re my best friend, dude. I just…” Cam’s voice trails off.

 

“Don’t worry about me, bro.” I assure him with a smile. I pat his tree trunk sized thumb gently. “You’re my best friend too, Cam.”

 

Cameron smiles slightly, but he still looks wary. “You can’t defend yourself, Marcus.” He mumbles so quietly I have to tug my earmuffs off to hear. “These people…”

 

“I know what you’re trying to say, Cam.” I tell him slowly. “But honestly, this Thomas kid wouldn’t hurt a fly! And these girls… they’re just girls, bro! Cliché, soppy little midget adoring girls! I know that because I’m a real life midget it’s harder for me to do basic stuff and all, but I just want to feel normal.” I incline my head to stare at the others. “And they treat me that way.”

 

Cameron now looks pained. I instantly feel bad for him, because all he wants is to protect me, but, well… Sometimes I just feel like doing things for myself. And school is the perfect opportunity for me to feel half normal. Like I’m just another perverted teenager and not some midget freak who looks like someone you’d find in ‘The Borrowers’ or ‘Gulliver’s Travels’.

 

“Bro, sit down with us, if you want.” I say. “Just, please don’t embarrass me and take me away from these guys like some baby. I just wanna make some friends.”

 

After a minute, my brother edges down so he sits cross legged beside Thomas. He instantly looks up from his sandwich and smiles warmly at him, and then me. “You’re Cameron, right?” He questions. “MiniMark’s brother?” I shoot Thomas a dirty look from Cam’s hand, which only makes the bigger boy smirk playfully. The girls giggle in the background.

 

“Um… yeah, I’m Cameron. Thomas, is it?” Cameron says edgily.

 

“Yep.”

 

Now that Cameron’s sitting down, I swing myself over the edge of his cupped hand to fall nimbly into the waist high grass. Pushing my fringe out of my face, I grin cheekily up at Cam before wading over to the group of girls. Thomas and Cameron chat quietly behind me.

 

As I get closer, Gabby notices me and gently places her hand, palm up, a few centimetres in front of me. I clamber on automatically and smile up at the giantess teenage girls as Gabby lifts me up and onto her legging covered knee. From this angle, I can see the smiling faces of the other girls. There are four of them, including Gabby, in total. The brown haired brace face from before grins.

 

“Hey.” She says.

 

“So, what’s up?” I ask in reply. It’s Gabby who answers.

 

“Nothin much…”

 

I’m almost grateful when a red headed chick with pigtails lets out what she’s been busting to say for the whole time. At least it takes away the awkwardness. “What’s it like to be tiny, Marcus?”

 

I roll my eyes, a gesture too small for anyone except Ebony, a midget girl I know, to pick up but answer anyway. “It’s pretty cool, I spose.” I say with a smile.

 

“How long have you been small?” Redhead presses, the rest of the group listening intently.

 

“I think it’s about eight or so years now, actually. Don’t really remember.” I say.

 

“Is it scary?”

 

“Well, yeah… it can be.” Ok, this just got awkward. “I guess cause everything’s so big and fast…”

 

Redhead, as well as the other girls nod in understanding (which I highly doubt is actually true). “What’s your favourite thing to do?” Gabby asks, probably to break the ice with me and this giant tiny topic. I smile up at her, trying to make my thankful expression noticeable.

 

“That’s easy.” I grin. “Eat and hang out with my brother.”

 

“He’s hot, Marcus.” Brace face giggles like an honest to god girly-girl. “You two are like identical.”

 

“I know.” I reply, trying to hide my smile as the little mob eyes off Cameron.

 

“Does he annoy you?” Gabby asks.

 

My answer is instant. “Nah. We’re like best friends.” I shrug innocently. “Ok, maybe he does, especially when he grabs me when I’m still asleep and then pretends to eat me…”

 

“You’re kidding!”

 

“I wish I was…”

 

“Awwww!”

 

Suddenly, a loud ringing sound stings my covered ears. It takes me a good minute or so to realise that this is the classic school bell from all the American movies. I almost laugh out loud. Cameron glances at his watch, bites his lip and stands up, along with Thomas.

 

“I’ve got Drama next.” Thomas says. “You?”

 

“Art.” Cameron replies stiffly. He glances wearily at me, still sitting on Gabby’s knee. “What have you got, bro?”

 

“Drama.” I say loudly, over the growing noise as the other students head to class.

 

“We’ve got art, Cameron!” The girls all chime in at once. I swear I hear Cameron groan loudly as he shoulders his schoolbag and hangs his head. I know he’s still concerned about me, but I try not to notice. Gabby brings a hand behind me and pushes at my shins, forcing me to fall backwards into her cupped palm. I feel the usual nausea as I’m lifted to anti-midget height.

 

“I’ll take Marcus to Drama, Gabby.” Thomas says politely. I feel a pang of annoyance at his tone. I feel like a stupid baby that needs to be escorted to class. Heck. I have to be carried to class. My midgetness can be a serious pain in the ass sometimes. Gabby nods and moves her hand with me in it to Thomas, who lets her drop me into his own palm. I feel my cheeks reddening as I right myself so I’m sitting up straight.

 

“Ok, I’ll see you after school, brother.” Cameron smiles faintly. I wave him off as he begins walking away from our little group with the girls. Thomas and I stand alone in the courtyard.

 

“We should get going, MiniMark.” He announces with a grin.

 

“Yeah.” I agree. As Thomas begins his trek to the Drama room, I lie back in his hand and picture myself as a normal teen, going to school and doing normal things like sports; things I’m too small to do as a midget. It was a seriously stupid idea for me to lie down, because in seconds, I’m asleep. And god help me, in the palm of Thomas’s hand… on the way to drama.

 

 Midgets gotta sleep…