- Text Size +

The next morning, before Carl arrived, I drank water from the lake and ate more dead trees. Though lacking the nourishment of living plant matter, the sustenance took the edge off the pain in my stomach.

 

“Where ya been?” he asked as I arrived at the barn.

 

“Good morning, Carl.” The sight of my friend curbed my uncharacteristic fatigue, and I smiled. “I was eating by the lake and —”

 

“Don’t care.” He untied the ropes, removing them from the bales of hay in his truck bed. “Ya had all last night to stuff yer face. Want me to tell Kenji you’re showin’ up late fer work?”

 

“I — I don’t know. I’m sorry.” I would’ve made it on time but I’d walked slower, less energetic than my usual self. Certainly not an excuse for my tardiness.

 

“Don’t let it happen again.”

 

“Oh, I won’t.” I knelt, placing a hand on the ground to stabilize myself. “Carl, thank you for being my friend, even though you’re so much smarter than me. You’re always on time and you put up with my mistakes. I’m going to ask Kenji to give you a raise.”

 

Jaw slack, he stopped chewing his tobacco and stared for a few seconds. Then, he averted his eyes and headed to the chicken coop beside the barn. “Get to work.”

 

“Yes, sir!”

 

I grabbed a bale of hay and planted the side of my face on the ground. One at a time, I moved the rectangular bundles into the barn, sliding them against the wall. Upon finishing, I lifted my head, prepared to move on to the next —

 

The ground spun in circles and my arm buckled.

 

I dropped forward and crashed into the barn. The structure pushed backwards diagonally. It’s sides splintered and separated from the roof, a loud cracking sound. My head landed on the top of the ATV, crushing it, and the walls of the barn collapsed outward in a plume of dust.

 

As soon as the wave of dizziness passed, I pushed myself into a sitting position and looked around. Frantic and frightened, I called out, “Carl!”

 

I didn’t see him anywhere. He’d gone to collect the eggs from the coops that lined the barn, but —

 

Carefully but quickly, I lifted the broken portions of the barn wall, stacking them in the grass to my left. My friend lay under a demolished chicken coop, his right leg bent at an unnatural angle.

 

“Carl!” Gently, I removed the debris, lifted him by the torso, and laid him on my hand. He didn’t respond, even after I poked him lightly in the stomach. Red scratches on his arms and face concerned me, but not as much as his leg. The human knee wasn’t meant to twist in such a way.

 

Suddenly brimming with energy, I rose and scanned the horizon. Humans went to hospitals when injured. Though I didn’t know where to find one, I knew the location of the auction house where I’d been sold. There had to be one nearby.

 

With his body limp in my hand, I walked quickly toward the intersection and turned. Beside the highway, I broke into a run heading west. Then, I sprinted, mindful to bring my feet down with as little impact as possible.

 

I passed cars and trucks as if they were standing still, ignoring the abrasions on my feet and the hollowness in my stomach. A green sign read: Welcome to Ceaseton; Population 1,400. As the town loomed closer, only one thought occupied my mind: My friend had been hurt, badly.

 

And if he didn’t receive medical attention soon, he might die.

 

***

 

Ceaseton hadn’t been constructed with my kind in mind. Narrow, two-lane roads barely permitted cars to pass in opposite directions, much less a fully grown Fyth. Thankfully, very few people shared the road with me. Of those that did, many stopped upon noticing me. They gawked and talked into their cellular phones.

 

Turned at an angle, I sidestepped over vehicles and squeezed between buildings, the tallest of which reached to my stomach. The edge of my left foot clipped a streetlight, bending it until it snapped from the ground. I didn’t mean to cause damage, but there was no room to move.

 

From behind, a police car approached, lights flashing and siren blaring. It swerved around my feet and stopped in front of me. A man in a blue uniform hopped out and spoke into a megaphone. “Fyth, I command you to stop. You’re not allowed in this town.”

 

“I need to find a hospital. Carl’s hurt.” I bent my knees and stooped, lowering my right hand to the ground.

 

The officer peeked over the edge of my fingers, then returned to his car. He picked up a police radio and said something inaudible.

 

After a few seconds another siren pierced the air. To my left, an ambulance flew down the intersecting street. Cars pulled over to allow it passage.

 

Upon reaching me, two males in white uniform hopped out and ran to my hand with a stretcher. With extreme care, I helped them maneuver Carl into position. “Please, watch his leg. I think it’s broken.”

 

They nodded, carried my friend into the back of the ambulance, and drove down the same street in the opposite direction.

 

“Can I follow them?” I asked.

 

“Absolutely not. Who’s your owner?” He didn’t need to keep using the megaphone. I could hear him just fine without it.

 

“Kenji Myers.”

 

He pulled out a pen and wrote something on his notepad. Then, he held out a slip of paper. “This is a warning.”

 

I pinched the paper between two fingers and took it from him.

 

“He won’t be charged with reckless endangerment only because you were right to bring that man to a hospital. However, the city will fine him for any damages you’ve caused. Now, return to your owner’s home and watch where you step.”

 

“Yes, officer.”

 

Ticket clasped between my fingers, I stood and headed down the street to my right, the most deserted path in the vicinity. Once outside the town limits, I found the familiar highway and walked back to Kenji’s house.

 

Though relieved I hadn’t caused any further damages, my thoughts returned to Carl. I’d injured him, perhaps fatally. I’d never heard of any Fyth harming a human, much less killing one. How could I be so negligent?

 

I hurt my friend. He might die because of me.

 

The thought repeated itself, as if a pipe had burst in my brain, leaking infected residue down my spine — each drip filling a rancid vat of worthlessness and self-hatred in my stomach.

 

I walked into the pasture. The crushed ATV rested in the center of the collapsed barn, both symbols of my incompetence. In the short time of my employment, I’d cost Kenji far more than the value of my services. He gave me food and kindness; I gave him death and destruction. Branford had been right to get rid of me.

 

Luckily, the two remaining Rouean containers hadn’t been damaged. Perhaps he could sell those to recoup some of his money.

 

Because I would never open them.

 

I walked until I reached the lake, but I didn’t stop there. I continued past the lake until the trees blurred with the ground and the world spun. 

 

I lay on my side, unable to recall falling to the ground. The sun warmed my face and dry leaves brushed my nose and lips.

 

The area I’d unintentionally selected would work fine. A Fyth’s body decomposed quickly after death, feeding any plants in the area with a rich set of nutrients. At least some living thing would benefit from my presence.

 

It wouldn’t be long now.

 

***

 

“Alani.” My father called my name.

 

Except it wasn’t my father — no Fyth had parents.

 

Fertilized in petri dishes and grown in enormous hyperbaric chambers, Fyth progressed from embryo to adulthood in isolation. Eating, sleeping, and growing, we didn’t interact with humans or other Fyth until ten years of age, the point at which we reached our full size and our bodies could handle normal atmospheric conditions.

 

“Alani!”

 

I opened my eyes as Kenji placed a hand on the bridge of my nose. How long had I been asleep? The sun had moved to the other side of the sky and the air was warmer.

 

“I’ve been looking all over for you. What’s going on?”

 

“Ken —” My voice cracked.

 

His eyes narrowed. “You look terrible. Come back and eat something. I’m sure you’ll feel better.”

 

I tried to swallow, but my tongue stuck to the roof of my mouth. So dry. After a few more attempts, I managed to wet my throat slightly. “Carl...he’s hurt...I —”

 

“I know about that. I’ve already been by the hospital. He had a mild concussion and his leg’s broken, but other than that, he’s ok. He said you crashed into the barn and a wall landed on him.”

 

“I’m so sorry, Kenji. It was all my fault.” My eyes produced no tears, but my heart weeped.

 

“It’s fine. We all have accidents. Now come on. Let’s go home.” He turned toward his truck.

 

“No.”

 

He spun around, brow furrowed. “What do you mean, no? Alani you need to eat. Carl thinks that’s why you fell. In fact, he urged me not to sell you because of this accident. I would never do that, of course, but I found it very strange to hear it coming from him of all people. Who knows, maybe you drank a bad batch of Rouean. You are hungry, right?”

 

“Yes, but I hurt Carl. I could have killed him. I’m a danger to you and Lyric.”

 

“Bullshit. You’re not a danger to anyone. You fell because you got dizzy from eating bad Rouean. It was an accident. Besides, what exactly are you saying? You’re going to just lie out here and die?”

 

“I’m too much of an expense. Your barn and ATV are destroyed. The city is sending you a bill for damages I caused. You can’t afford —”

 

“You’re not an animal, Alani. You’re a person, like me. I consider you family. Who cares if you broke a few things?

 

“We need your help to rebuild the barn and run the farm. We need you to carry us around the property. Riding in your hand is more fun than an ATV anyway. My point is: We need you. Now please, come home.”

 

His words, as beautiful as they were, failed to shake my death sentence. “I’m sorry, Kenji.”

 

“No, this is not a discussion. Come home and eat. That’s a command.”

 

“No.”

 

“Stop saying no!” He walked near my chin, where my hand lay curled, and grabbed the tip of my pinkie. “Stand up. Now!”

 

I kept my mouth shut, unwilling to anger him further by saying ‘no’, but also unwilling to comply. Even if my legs would hold my weight, he was wrong. I was a danger to humans and needed to put an end to myself.

 

“Alani, move!” He tugged on my pinkie with both hands, unfurling it slightly.

 

“Fuck!” He released my finger and stomped to his truck. “There’s no way I’m letting you kill yourself. I’ll bring the Rouean and force feed it to you if I have to.”

 

He hopped in his truck and sped off toward the lake and beyond. I closed my eyes, hoping that death took me before he returned.

 

Some humans didn’t like to watch things die, even an animal like me.

 

***

 

A tickling on my mouth and the smell of fruity shampoo.

 

“Alani, wake up.” Lyric pressed on my lips with her hands and smiled when my eyes fluttered open.

 

Kenji sat in his pickup, doors closed, boring holes into my head with his eyes. In the truck bed, a container of Rouean gleamed in the waning sunlight.

 

She stepped in front of my face. “Kenji said you won’t eat. Is it because you don’t like the taste? Sometimes I don’t eat my vegetables because they taste bad. Especially peas. I hate peas. Why are your eyes gray? Are you sick, Alani?”

 

“H —” I swallowed. My parched throat burned and my saliva tasted like acid. “Hi, Lyric.”

 

“What’s wrong, Alani?” Concern etched her face as she frowned and furrowed her eyebrows.

 

Why did he bring her here? Something about her presence twisted my stomach into knots.

 

“How was school?”

 

Her face brightened, and she sat down cross-legged in the grass. “It was great! We had a quiz on the first seven chapters of Charlotte’s Web, and I got all the questions right! Mrs. Phillips said I was the only one to get a perfect score. It’s because we read together, Alani. I know it. Are you going to read the next chapter with me today?”

 

The stinging in my throat switched to a heavy, uncomfortable sensation. “I can’t today Lyric. I’m sorry.”

 

“Why not?” Her little frown returned. “We read every afternoon.”

 

“I can’t see very well right now.” Her features sporadically blurred in front of my eyes. I wouldn’t be able to zoom into the words in a book even if I wanted to.

 

“Are you sick? If you don’t eat, you’ll get sick. That’s what my dad always used to tell me.”

 

I didn’t know what to say. Kenji shouldn’t have brought her. She wouldn’t understand.

 

“You look really pale.” Then, her eyes widened and she smiled. “I know! If you eat something, I’ll bake you a whole cake. That will make the bad taste go away. Ok?”

 

“I can’t eat.”

 

“Why not?”

 

“I hurt someone today, Lyric. I destroyed the barn. I might hurt you or Kenji. I’m dangerous to be around.”

 

“No you’re not! You’re just being silly. I feel very safe around you.” She got up, walked over to my hand, and sat in it, my fingers curling just over her head. “See?”

 

Her hands connected with my palm. “Alani, your skin is so cold.” She frowned as my stomach rumbled. “Please eat. I’m sure you’ll feel better if you do.”

 

“I’m sorry, Lyric.”

 

Her frown deepened. “I don’t understand. If you don’t eat, you’ll eventually die. Did you know that you can die of starvation? I’ve read about it.”

 

“I know.”

 

“But I don’t want you to die, Alani.”

 

I had an idea. “Lyric, when a Fyth dies, their body fertilizes the ground. I think a big tree will grow here after I’m gone. It will be beautiful. You can play on it and —”

 

“No!” She pounded her fist into my palm. “I don’t want a tree; I want you! Eat!”

 

I didn’t say anything. I couldn’t.

 

Why won’t you eat, Alani? My mom and dad left me. They died and left me and my brother alone. Are you going to leave me too?” She sniffled. “You’re my friend. Friends aren’t supposed to leave each other.”

 

“I’m sorry,” I whispered.

 

Rivulets of tears streamed down her face and her bottom lip quivered. She averted her eyes to the ground. Eventually, she spoke slowly. “Alani, what happens when people die? Where do they go?”

 

I considered her question, then answered. “I don’t know, Lyric.”

 

She wiped a cheek with her fingers. “Don’t tell Kenji, but I’m going to follow you. Wherever you go, I’m going to follow you. You won’t be alone.”

 

“Lyric, you can’t do that.”

 

“I am.” She stood and grabbed my thumb, resolute, as if gripping a boat’s tiller and sailing into uncharted waters. “I’m your friend. I’m not letting you go alone. I’m not sure how I’ll find you, but I will. I’ll find my father and mother too, and you can meet them.”

 

The look of determination in her brave eyes frightened me. “Please, don’t do that. You’re too young —”

 

She walked to my nose and hugged it, arms wrapping around it and head resting on the tip. “We’ll go together, Alani.” Her wet cheek plastered against my skin.

 

“No.” In spite of my dehydration, tears appeared in my eyes, blurring my surroundings even more.

 

She lay down in the grass and rolled her back against my cheek. “We’ll go together, Alani.”

 

My tears moistened the ground above her head. How could humans love an animal like me so much? Even after I hurt Carl, they stuck with me, and this small girl planned to follow me into the afterlife.

 

Me. A worthless animal. A living thing that didn’t deserve the simple warmth of her small body against my cheek.

 

“I love you, Alani,” she murmured, perhaps not intending for me to hear. The words themselves didn’t impact me as much as the way she said them.

 

Though different than Kenji’s tone, they both loved me. Somehow, impossibly, they did. Even Carl asked Kenji not to sell me. They all had different ways of showing it, but they wanted me in their lives.

 

She rolled over and kissed my cheek, then snuggled and closed her eyes. She really did intend to die with me. Kenji would never allow it, but she might find a way to kill herself. It was too much for me to bear.

 

By killing myself, I’d be destroying the lives of my friends. I’d be doing the very thing I wanted to avoid at all costs.

 

Summoning all my strength, I lifted my head and sat upright. The ground whirled, then stabilized on the little girl near the indentation my face had made in the ground.

 

She rose to her elbow and squinted up at me. “Alani?” 

 

Delicately, I lifted her into my palm, brought her to my face and kissed her on the side. My lips covered her small upper body, and she giggled in a way that made me smile through my tears.

 

I focused on the truck. He was smiling too. I made my family happy just by existing. They were my family and they loved me. It made no sense; humans rarely made sense, but it was the truth.

 

The miraculous truth.

 

With my free hand, I reached for the Rouean.

 

I reached for life, a life we’d share together.

 

And I reached for a future of happiness, no longer alone. A future filled with love.