- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

Jessica wanders through the tiny world, completely unaware of the surprises waiting just around the corner.

I walked through scenes of chaos and devastation, only to leave them behind in a second or two. No, I didn't leave them, I picked them up and took them with me, I was the source of their hysteria. I disappeared in a flash anyhow, these city blocks were so tiny I could almost completely step over some of them.

 I kept myself to the side, away from the crowds as best I could, but I was honestly getting fed up of worrying for them. No matter how hard I tried people would get hurt, because panicked people are stupid people. I found it difficult to feel bad for someone I stepped on even when I was making every conscious effort to avoid them. They were too small to notice, but I knew it was inevitably happening at least once or twice. At this point, I didn't care.

 All I wanted was somewhere to rest for a bit, somewhere that wasn't an urban jungle. Trees weren't very forgiving, but they were more comfortable than buildings. I'd assume, anyway. Never tried sleeping in a city. Don't plan on every trying.

The fiasco last night must have set off any attempts to stop me: I could see small armies assemble and watch me for a few moments as I passed them by. They knew they stood no chance. But they followed me anyhow, maybe in the hopes that their presence would reassure the populace that everything was under control. Even I knew I was no tamable beast. Had I been an animal the world might have been better off, but I could think, I could rationalize, I could go crazy.

Boy, am I crazy.

I couldn't deny it. Sure, I hadn't gone so far as to stomp through downtown and go on a rampage, but I was slowly losing regard for human life. I must have wept out my humanity last night. It's quite frightening to watch this happen to myself. When I see small handfuls of people I calmly contemplate eating them and decide not to simply for the sake of time. Just a few moments ago I acknowledged that I'm crushing people underfoot, and I couldn't even be bothered to move out of the way. I froze and pulled back the foot I was about to lead with, watching a speck move from where it would have landed. I tried to empower the speck in my mind, but everything it did was so futile. It couldn't help or harm me, it wouldn't speak or be spoken to, and it couldn't chase nor escape me. So then what did it matter?

I brought my foot back and stepped forward, the ball of my foot landing squarely on the speck. Even when I concentrated all my effort into it, its death could not be felt. It was tiny and unnoticable, just like everything else about them. I can't imagine ever squishing people for the fun of it -- there was nothing to it, it was like playing a game but only pretending you had the toys -- but, perhaps more horrifying, I simply didn't care.

Things continued this way for about an hour. I guess I covered a pretty big distance, but it didn't feel like it. The first field I saw was where I stopped. It wasn't a park like the last one had been, but there were still people that fled as I crawled in. I didn't heed them as I found somewhere to stretch out. 

I found water in the form of a pond or lake and washed my feet again. Soon I regretted it; it was much more shallow than the river and it turned a gastly red color. I decided to keep moving, I didn't need to see that every day. As luck would have it, there was another body of water in the field, this one more expansive.

I took the smallest sips I could afford to try and ration the water for as long as possible. I could make this field a home of sorts, a base of operations. Like camping, I think to myself. Tiny camping. Or giant camping, I guess, depending on how you look at it.

Sometimes I missed the little things. Watches so I knew what time it was. Cell phones to text and pass the time. Books to read so I could pretend I was someone else. And clothes... don't get me started on clothes. I hated being naked, I felt so exposed. Fortunately it was the spring months so the weather wasn't too much of an issue, and the winds were mere annoyances. I began to think of what rain would be like this, or even thunder storms. A pit grew in my stomach as I realized what a thunder storm would mean for me.

Or maybe that was just my hunger, ready for another round. I hadn't eaten since last night, and as hefty a meal it was, it wouldn't hold me forever. Part of me secretly wished for some officers and soldiers to come and combat me so I could give them the fate they probably expected. I fantasized about the food they probably ate: turkey dinners and steaks and meatloaves...

Suddenly my attention was drawn by a miniscule movement from the bushes: was that a person? Had a wish of mine come true for once? What would a single person be doing wandering in this park anyway? Oh well. My fingers were upon him in an instant, bringing them close so I could give it the procedural check-up, expecting no results as always.

"DUSTIN!" I squealed upon seeing my tiny little boyfriend in my hand. I sat up straight and let him stand in my open palm, holding my hand up. My grin was ear to ear, but Dustin looked afraid, he was waving around in a fit. I thought I heard him try to speak, so I moved my face closer.

"...Jessica!" I faintly heard him.

"What?"

"Please don't kill me, Jessica!" he squeaked. I pouted as my worst dreams came true: he was afraid of me like everyone else. The emotion was overpowering and I broke into tears, embarassing myself in front of Dustin. I was a fool. I was a monster. I had killed so many people. I had lost everything.

"...Jessica!" I could hear my name again, so I quieted my tears and focused on him.

"Huh?"

"Why are you crying?"

"Because I'm a monster! I'm losing everything because I'm nothing but a big monster!"

"You haven't lost everything. You still have me... right?" I started crying again, but these tears were of joy. I nodded and smiled: he still loved me. Even after everything I had done, Dustin still wanted to be with me. I wanted to kiss and hug him, but it was impossible. I physically couldn't express how much I appreciated Dustin's undying loyalty.

"Are you alright?"

"I think so," I replied, wiping away the tears.

"Could you put me down?" I nodded and lowered him to the ground, laying on my stomach so I could still hear him.

"How did you find me?" I asked.

"I had some help from a friend," he said, looking over his shoulder. My eyes raised and peered over but I saw no one. "Why are you here?" he asked. The casual tone was refreshing.

"Where else can I be?" was the only reply I could think of that made sense. "Can't exactly be at your place anymore." I heard his tiny laugh, short and stifled. "You don't have to be afraid. I won't hurt you. I promise with all my heart." He still seemed unsure, fidgeting a bit, so I made a final ultimatum. I kissed the tip of my pinky finger and extended it towards him. It was larger than he was, but he knew exactly what I meant.

A pinky promise. We had made them all the time. I pinky promised him that I would get us a puppy if we ever got a house. He pinky promised me that he would buy us both fancy cars when he became rich and famous. We pinky promised each other than we would be together forever.

He slowly brought up his own pinky and touched mine. This was truly amazing, I thought. My massive pinky and his diminuitive one rose for so much more. This was a sign, we were meant to be. Dustin was so committed he wouldn't even abandon me now. Despite everything, I felt fortunate.

"I'm exhausted," he said as we retracted pinkies. "Mind if we talk more tomorrow?"

"Of course," I whisper, feeling quite tired myself. "Dustin?"

"Yeah?"

"Will you sleep with me?"

If there was one thing I loved the most about being with Dustin, it was cuddling with him. I felt so safe when I was wrapped up in him, the warmth of his body and jacket were irresistable. 

"How?" he asked, confused. My hand opened up like a platform and after a moment he climbed onto it and sprawled out. I curled my body around my hand as much as I could: now it was my turn to wrap up him. 

"Good night, Dustin," I whispered soothingly.

"Good night, Jessica," he said back in his small voice. This was absurd. This was amazing. Absurdly amazing. I still had Dustin. I always had Dustin. For the first time in weeks, I wasn't alone.

 

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

Jessica never ceased to amaze me.

Who I had watched cause untold carnage and destruction was now the culprit behind uninhibited love and affection. Dustin had told me she was hunting him down over some girlfriend drama, but this didn't look anything of the sort. I had expected to see a bloodbath and instead I saw them sleeping together. Dustin had that expectation as well, but he seemed happy to go with this alternate, less fatal path.

But Jessica was still Jessica. If anything, this only proved my theories that she was affected deeply by mental trauma or sickness. She kissed her finger and they pinky promised, that was cute and all, but I just got reports on people missing from the Brooklyn Bridge incident and she has thus far eaten two hundred and thirty two people. She had likely ended many more in her strides, accidents or not. That was a lot of dead people to simply kiss goodnight. Dustin might have his ass saved, but I wasn't done yet. I made sure I had the park saved in my GPS so I could easily return before driving off. 

Chapter End Notes:

Has Dustin struck it lucky or he is off for the worse with his giantess girlfriend? Things can only get hotter from here!