- Text Size +

The lights above shined brighter than they had ever seemed to before, the field illuminated from end zone to end zone. The air was seemed heavy, the tension high. Everything rested on this next play. There were no shadows to hide in if he was to fail, but if he were to succeed, his triumph would be seen by all.

            Tyler had his eyes locked on the athlete in front of him. That was his target now. He knew the man well. Chase, three-year varsity athlete, body like a Greek god, eyes as beautiful and blue as the sea. He was the only thing standing between Tyler and his victory.

            The play had been rehearsed so many times. Just get past Chase, catch the ball, and run the few yards for the touchdown.

            “42” his quarterback called. Sweat rolled down Tyler’s face. This was it. “17, 59… HIKE!”

            It happened in an instant. The ball was thrown back, Tyler lunged forward. Chase went to stop him, his form moving to block. But Tyler was faster, spinning around his target, his path clear before him. He continued running.

            The ball was thrown. Nothing could be done now. Chase could only watch, his face a mixture of horror and despair as his rival caught the spinning ball running it in for the final point. But, there was something more to his emotions. Was it jealousy? Or perhaps admiration? No, that was absurd.

 

“Tyler, you did it!” Katie shouted as she rushed onto the field, jumping to him, throwing her arms around his neck, the crowd defining. “You really did it!”

            Tyler returned the gesture, his smile still implanted firmly on his gorgeous face. When Katie finally released her death grip on him he said, “Thanks. I couldn’t have done it without you cheering me on though.”

            “Oh stop with that teamwork nonsense,” Chloe said in a good nature as she came up to the pair. “You were amazing.”

            “Wow!” Tyler exclaimed, genuinely surprised. “An actual kind word from Chloe. Never thought I would see the day!”

            Chloe snickered, then responded, “Well I never thought you would actually win something.”

            “That’s the Chloe I know.” His smile was still as broad as ever.

            “Oh stop being mean and give him a hug!” Katie said humorously, her eyes rolling. Chloe shook her head in defiance, but came in for the embrace anyway.

            This was a perfect moment for Tyler. His rivals defeated, his fans cheering. The lights, as promised, only brightening his joy further. His closest friends here to share in the delight. Nothing could ruin this moment.

 

Tyler walked back to his car that night, the gravel crunching underfoot as he did so. It had been many hours since the game had ended, the after party stretching long into the night. Now all the lights had gone, but his smile had not lessened.

            As he walked through the chill air, he couldn’t help but relive the moment time after time. Slipping past Chase so easily, catching the ball perfectly.

            He could here a car coming behind him, so he moved onto the sidewalk absentmindedly, his thoughts somewhere else.

            The crowed cheered so loudly. Had they always been that loud? Or was the moment simply that amazing?

            Was that a car door? Oh, who cares? He had won. He had actually did it!

            “Hey,” A voice called gruffly behind him. Tyler turned, thinking it to be some loving fans. But, before he could even manage a “hello,” his head seemed to explode. He fell to his knees, his temples burning, his vision blurring. Down he went, unconsciousness taking him.

            “Well that was easy,” the man said above him, his blinding smile the only visible thing in the night. That, and his brilliant blue eyes.

Chapter End Notes:

Did you know that this was actually a commission? No? Well you do now.

If you would like me to write something for you, (Anything, really, I'm not picky!) just check out my bio for more info.