- Text Size +

As Blake ran after his (although only brief) captors, the ground shook and quivered like mad, like an earthquake over and over. God, what was happening? This was much more than a chemical mishap, he knew that clearly. What he had seen on the bay before the wave appeared was little more than men and jeeps and boats. All EDF, all standing idly by the water, talking amongst each other as if waiting. Surely they knew something, and Blake wanted to know, paper or not.

He started to hear people screaming in unison with the quakes, and from the corner of his eye saw patches of them fleeing through the streets. A lingering doubt inside of him tried to tell him to run with them, but he continued looking for Barkley and Sarah, against everything he knew.

The shaking became more intense and threw him to the ground, and he heard the sounds of gunfire; it must have been their rifles. He climbed to his feet and turned the corner, finally finding them. And they weren't alone, standing with several other similarly outfitted men and women, and with the same rifles. His eyes traced where their shots were headed and inflated with fear.

It was a massive young woman, wearing nothing but her own black hair, long and matted. Her eyes were a deep green, darting from corner to corner. She was filthy, covered from head to toe in dirt and muck. She wandered down the street, completely unaware of the EDF's gunfire, approaching them.

"WHAT THE FUCK IS THAT?!" Blake heard himself scream, giving himself away.

"Not this joker again!" he heard Barkley shout out.

"Get out of here!" Sarah shouted after him.

Blake's eyes were locked on the titanic woman, who was only hardly shorter than the skyscrapers she passed. With every step abandoned and parked cars were crumpled like tin foil, and fleeing people who were too slow to get out of the way were crushed flat. She seemed to notice none of it. In fact, judging by her face, she was afraid, which was ridiculous given her immense stature.

"We need something bigger!" one of the EDF soldiers shouted, and another responded with a large rocket launcher. He aimed down the sights at the woman, waited a few moments for it to lock on, and fired.

The missile whizzed through the air and exploded in her face, causing her to grunt in pain and stumble backwards. While the crowds who had been so unfortunately close to her destructive feet had been given a second chance, she was shaking off the hit and scowling. Suddenly she let out a chilling scream, a long, piercing battle cry. It was quite unnerving how human it sounded, like a monstrous roar might have been more fitting.

She lashed out, her arms crashing through the nearest building and blowing the front side of it to pieces. The rubble fell to the streets and hampered the crowd's escape. Slowly she stomped towards the EDF squad, and they began to retreat.

Quickly Blake took after them, but the surging crowd had caught up to him and he was swallowed by it. Stumbling to his knees amidst the unstoppable flow he saw an immense shadow forming around him and turned to his back.

Her foot was looming over him as she went to take her next step. It was such an insignificant part of the human body, and yet here it was, impossibly large. The skin was dirtied to a dull brown, with a sickening coat of what Blake imagined was once people. But he didn't think about that for long, he curled into a ball and screamed, awaiting his fate.

The ground shook, but Blake was trembling so much it might not have mattered. He opened his eyes and saw himself tucked snugly between her big and second toes, spared from the coming doom. She walked away, leaving him to clamber back up and run.

 

 

"We need eyes in the sky!" Sarah shouted over her wireless transceiver, running alongside her fellow EDF soldiers.

"Roger that," someone replied, and she could see helicopters come from the horizon, towards the Kaigiantess behind them.

"Damn, she's fast!" Barkley panicked, but he should have known that by now. Kaigiantess had tremendously long legs, of course they were fast. The helicopters had begun swirling around their target like flies, some making light shots, others remaining inactive. Annoyed, she swung at them, but the helicopters managed to back away in time.

"She's pissed off!" one of the pilots shouted over the walkies.

"Well piss her off outside the city!" Sarah replied impatiently. The ring of helicopters backed towards the water as best they could, dragging the Kaigiantess' attention with them. Carefully tiptoeing away from her swipes, they were managing to leash her back to the sea.

Suddenly, however, there was a wrench thrown in their plan in the shape of a large missile, flying straight into the Kaigiantess' exposed hip. She screamed in pain and stumbled, her face becoming increasingly angry, increasingly animal. With a short hop she took down one of the helicopters and broke into a charge down the street.

"WHO SHOT THAT ROCKET?"

"GODDAMN ARMY, SCREWING IT UP AGAIN!"

"WE LOST MACK!"

"WATCH OUT!" The soldiers leaped to the side as enormous bare feet stormed between them, carrying the Kaigiantess further into the city, chasing a bomber plane now long gone. The small group of helicopters followed her.

"What do you see, Bruce?" Sarah asked, running down the street as fast as she could. But she was no match to keep up with a Kaigiantess.

"We lost her, she's turned a corner and disappeared," his voice came through. Looking down the street Sarah could faintly see the helicopters buzzing around a building, going off in different directions. There was a burst of noise as a building collapsed entirely, the Kaigiantess' immense form crashing through it and grabbing hold of Bruce's helicopter. It was crushed in her fist like paper and hurled to the ground.

"She's getting away!" Sarah shouted angrily, watching the Kaigiantess run further and further still into the city. The few helicopters left followed her, but were hopelessly left behind.

"It looks like she's in the Hudson," another pilot Dennis said over the walkies. "We're gonna need some surveilance if we wanna snuff her outta there."

"Alright, then, let's get on it!" Sarah ordered. Turning around she noticed someone waving their arms and running towards them. She sighed, exasperated. Sometimes she thought it wouldn't hurt the world for a Kaigiantess to catch a few people.