- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

Sorry I've been gone so long... things got a little crazy and didn't stop being crazy for a while. Hopefully I'll be able to write more GTS for at least a bit now, so know that I haven't given up on writing!

EDF forces set up along the edge of the Hudson river, peering into the water if by chance they could see Goddesszilla just below the surface. They had already been caught off their guard with this Kagiantess once, they didn't intend to let it happen again. Sarah especially.

"Sarah! Gabby's here!" someone shouted over the commotion, and Sarah turned to see the EDF scientist directing a massive truck towards the river. On the beds of the truck were their submarines, big and blue with the traditional white EDF insignia.

"Got the subs just like you asked!" Gabby beamed to her squad leader as the truck turned around, bringing the submarines down to the soldiers. Her name was Gabriella, but she had made it a point that people called her Gabby, for convenience.

"Good work, Gabby," Sarah nodded, smiling. "Finish your special project yet?" Gabriella seemed shocked that Sarah had remembered about that: once she had been caught doing some unauthorized research for a secret job she had begun, but Sarah was kind and allowed her her privacy. She shrugged off the feeling.

"Nah, still working out some bugs."

"I can't wait to see what you've been working on all this time."

"Yeah, me neither," she laughed awkwardly. "Is Goddesszilla looking recruitable?"

"Hard to say, she's not very communicative; just screams and shouts. These subs have the nets loaded into them, right?"

"Of course, I double and triple checked," Gabby said, nodding repeatedly, looking over the submarines as they were brought into the water. "You be careful out there," she said, passing a glance at Sarah. She simply smiled again.

"I'll do my best."

 

 

"Comms check: submarine Beta, do you copy?" Sarah called over the comms, standing on submarine Alpha some distance into the Hudson river.

"This is submarine Beta, comms check is affirmative."

"Comms check: submarine Charlie, do you copy?"

"This is submarine Charlie, comms check is affirmative."

"Now that that's out of the way let's get down to business," she said, the heat in the busy ship becoming unbearable. "Here on submarine Alpha we're primary recon. I want submarine Beta going further ahead and reporting any activity, and submarine Charlie stay further behind and do the same. Report anything that looks remotely Kaigiantess, be it a strange wave or shadow or anything. If Goddesszilla is seen, call 'code red' over the comms. Everyone understand?"

"Submarine Beta, affirmative, ma'am!"

"Submarine Charlie, affirmative, ma'am!"

"Let's get to it!"

Sarah felt the ground shift as submarine Alpha allowed submarine Beta to pass, disappearing in the darkness of the water ahead. Being under water was like being in a pitch black forest; you couldn't see five feet in front of you. Submarine Charlie slowed its pace and faded into the murky river behind them.

As the faint blips of their submarine's bells and whistles flickered, Sarah found herself drifting in her mind, thinking about how this had all come to be. How she had become a part of the EDF: back then it was little more than a military division dedicated to the combat of the then nearly inexistent Kaigiantess. Over the years they slowly grew in numbers, however, and now Sarah feared she was needed more than ever.

The Kaigiantesses were awe-inspiring no doubt. Massive beings of chaos and destruction, and yet with the beauty of a woman. She feared them to the best degree she could afford, and used up the rest of her concentration respecting their raw power. Sometimes they had a certain grace to them, their ponderous wandering and benign curiosity making them a wondrous sight. Of course, as was the case with such examples as Goddesszilla, they weren't always so inviting, clumsily stomping and stumbling through populated cities with no heed for anything at their feet.

"We've got a code red!" submarine Beta suddenly called, breaking Sarah from her self-induced trance.

"What do you see?"

"She's just turning this corner up ahead. If we pick up the pace we should be able to catch her."

"You heard him, let's put the pedal to the metal!"

"Yes, ma'am!"

The engine whirred to vitality and the metal ground shook violently under Sarah's boots as they picked up speed. Dank and dark water before them faded into an indistinguishable blur, whizzing past them like a wet wind.

"I got her in my sights!" someone on submarine Beta shouted excitedly, forgetting themself in the heat of the moment.

"Can we verify?" Sarah asked one of the pilots onboard her submarine, and he nodded instantly, never taking his eyes off of the radar. "Get close and fire off one of the nets!" she added into the comms. More than anything she wished she could see what Goddesszilla was doing for herself... why didn't she have her submarine lead the way? Sarah could only imagine that the Kaigiantess was in their sights.

"We're picking up some strange heat signals," the pilot told Sarah from his radar. "Definitely Kaigiantess."

"Let's catch up and lend a hand to Beta with some of our own nets! We're gonna need more than one submarine to slow her down!"

"Yes, ma'am!"

 

 

What now, Blake thought as he wandered through abandoned New York city. Evacuations must have taken place, but in his stubborn persistence to the EDF, he had been left behind. Perhaps no one even knew he was still inside. He just walked, knowing eventually he would find someone to explain everything to.

Except for what he had seen a few hours prior. Blake was unsure anyone would be able to fully explain what she had been, even though the EDF had plainly laid it out to him. It was too unknown, too alien to fully understand. She was deathly afraid one moment and chaotically violent the next, but all the while she was fatal. Blake himself had almost fallen prey to her rampage, and she hadn't even noticed him. He would never consider himself unlucky again; no mistimed traffic light or Powerball number would ever compare to the inches of distance her foot gave to allow him his life.

Blake suddenly remembered how he had ended up here in the first place, out to get the latest scoop. His manager probably thought he was dead, and would certainly never allow him to pursue the story any further if he returned.

So that was that: he wasn't returning until he learned more about this colossal girl.

It was the same thick-headedness that got him into this mess in the first place, and he knew that, but something inside of Blake told him it was worth it. But what of his wife? She must be worried for his safety, she must know what's happening. Blake nearly shook his head, wishing he didn't have people that cared for him so that he wouldn't have anything to care about. He just wanted to throw a few days away in pursuit of a Kaigiantess or whatever the lady had said. Was he crazy for it? Probably.

He took out his phone and idly entered Marie's number, noticing he was crossing a bridge. There were some cars on the road, doors ajar. A few headlights pierced through the falling dusk and others were silently dark.

"Blake?" Marie asked through the phone, lowered at Blake's side. He lifted it up to his ear.

"Hey, it's me. Umm... a few things have come up..."

"Blake, I can't believe this, you're alive!" she interrupted him breathlessly. "Oh god, Blake, thank god you made it out of there!"

"Yeah, about that..."

"Where are you? There are some special forces teams here looking for anyone still in the city so just tell me where you are and I'll have them come get you!"

"Marie, I..."

Before he could explain anything to her the two endpoints of the bridge were engulfed in flames, letting out an explosive roar. Blake stumbled backwards and his phone fell over the guardrails into the river below just as the bridge began to crack. Frozen in panic, he watched as the crack came closer and closer, splitting the bridge apart and sending him tumbling down.

He could hear the cars and chunks of bridge as they splashed into the water, and knew they probably saved his life as he entered the water after them. Frantically he swam clear of the rubble and began to rise to the surface.

But Blake's luck was turning foul once more. From underneath the pile of bridge remains bursted the giant woman herself, swimming after him. He hadn't even noticed until he was already in her grasp, being pulled back into the depths. Desperately he held in his screams, thrashing wildly as her massive green eyes scanned him over. Her prison of a hand turned every which way, examining him like a specimen.

Just as Blake thought his time had come, a large net was shot out at the giantess, ensnaring her chest. As her arms were jerked to the side, Blake was dragged with them. His vision began to fade as his breath became short, and the last thing he saw before passing out was a submarine slowly approaching.