- Text Size +
Story Notes:

Just a warning this story does take on the themes of death and suicide in case you're not comfortable with it, but the story will focus on mostly gentle interaction.

Thundering roars rang from drums, angrily beating to a now repetitive rhythm the entire band became accustomed to. Despite the monotony, there was an extra spark forced into the music, attempting to pump up the now disinterested crowd. Although the drummers have overall been tight and together, there was one who was offbeat and slow compared to the rest of the drum line.

 

"Goddamn it, Josh! It goes ba-dut-dut-daa-ba-da-da-dut." The band director, Mr. Calhoun, screeched grabbing Josh's drum sticks and proceeded to play the beat in a demonstrative fashion.

"I know," he said for the hundredth time that night, keeping his words short. He held a black glove to his forehead, wiping the perspiration off. Josh was avoiding eye contact, looking towards the freezing bleachers below him.

"Then set the example and play it right!" Calhoun passed the mallets back to Josh, well, he thrust the mallets into his chest roughly, knocking the senior back a few unstable steps.

 

The boy slumped down on the bleachers, burying his face into his gloved hands. Every other band member followed suit, preparing to watch their team's offense attempt to score. They all watched with a naive optimism and pessimism at the same time, helplessly spectating as their defending championship team was now down three possessions midway through the second quarter.

 

"Hey, Josh," a gloved hand gripped his shoulder pad, comfortably squeezing at the nape of his neck right afterwards. "You okay?"

"I'm fine," he answered shortly, and swiftly. "Just off." Annie nodded, understanding Josh’s lethargic attitude and dismissing it as a common sickness.

 

"Take it easy, okay.” Annie said with a hint of concern. “If you’re not feeling well, just sit out.” This time Josh nodded, feverishly moving his head to get Annie to walk away. He bit his lips, holding back a cry for help. There were a million things he wished to tell her, but he had no clue on how to bring it up. The teenage girl sat to his right, laying her head on his shoulder. He was unresponsive, making Annie doubt that he was getting the hint at all. She sighed to herself, knowing for years how much of a blockhead Josh was sometimes.

 

“Hey, Mom?” A meek little voice called. Annie craned her head to see a freshman tuba player tapping her shoulder. She sighed, knowing what was to come next from begrudgingly accepting the position of being the collective band’s “mom,” a title given to the most responsible senior, regardless of them being female or not. It was a tradition started several years ago due to the consistent lineage of incompetent drum majors. Of course her constant coddling of Josh put her in the hot seat as the matron of the marching band before she was even a sophomore.

 

“What’s up, sweetie?” Annie asked, using a pet name after failing to remember the tuba player’s real name.

“My second valve’s stuck,” he said in a hushed breath, his nasally voice ingraining in her head.

“Right,” she answered back, knowing full well that he knew how to fix it on his own. “Just tell Calhoun and I’ll get a wrench from the band room.” Her voice seemed a little uninterested.

“I’m kinda scared to ask,” he said in an even lower whisper.

 

“Fine, whatever. Josh could you go to the band room and grab a wrench for me?” Annie asked, forcing a slow reaction from the sluggish boy. Josh did a mock salute and shakily walked away from the bleachers, nearly tripping over himself. Annie sighed slightly, feeling relieved as the freshman also sauntered away.

 

Annie slumped down against the cold metal bench, taking a sip of a water bottle before a familiar voice called “hey Mom” while jerking her shoulder a little too roughly.

“What!?” Annie yelled, turning to look at the source. Her anger was quickly dismissed as she noticed the woman who had shaken her around. She was an Asian-American young woman who stood slightly taller and had straight black hair that was tied behind in a ponytail. “Sally! You’re back. Took you long enough.”

 

“Of course I’m back, Mom,” Sally teased, taking her hands out of her old high school sweatshirt and bringing Annie in for a tight hug. “It’s the semifinal, and there’s no way I’d miss my team get its ass whooped.”
“Ouch.” Annie said, remembering that this following loss would probably be her last game.

“Touchy subject?” Sally joked. “Whatever, let’s go take a walk. Mom to Mom.”

The two walked away from the band and leaned against the rails. “So, how’s the band?”

“Good,” Annie answered frankly. “We’re definitely getting better.”

“Cool,” Sally answered shortly, establishing a clear ice-breaker. “So are you and Josh a thing yet?”

 

Annie only smiled, a light blush appearing on her pale cheeks. She played with her feet, twisting the ball of her foot on the ground a little sheepishly. “Well he hasn’t asked yet. Maybe he’s not interested.”

“I mean why don’t you ask him out then?” Sally inquired, pushing Annie playfully.

“Oh, I don’t know.” Annie answered quietly.

“It’s twenty fourteen, yo. There’s nothing wrong in the lady asking the guy out. The heart wants what the heart wants.” Sally advised before a string of uncomfortable silence appeared.

 

 “Close game, right?” Annie asked, ending the silence and changing the subject.

“Totally,” Sally agreed, “we got it in the bag. At least it’s not as bad as last year when we threw a pick six in the last minute.”

“Your year still got state runner up and a division championship.”

“Oh yeah. You were there too.” Sally added. “Wait, who’s your quarterback?”

 

“Rudy,” Annie answered as Sally’s smile dropped. She lifted her right hand fingering simply from three to one. And as her hand became a fist, a loud cheer came from across the field, and Sally brought her fist and face down in a triumphant manner. “Called it.” As she had predicted, Rudy had thrown an interception.

 

“God damn it!” a loud, grumbling voice yelled. A man in his early or mid twenties had rushed to the sideline, screaming obscenities at the players in general. From his mannerisms, both girls could tell he was heavily intoxicated. Annie, feeling somewhat dutiful, flocked toward the man.

 

“Chill out, dude. They’re just kids.” Annie defended, crossing her arms in a huff. The man was about a foot taller than her, but she felt that she wasn’t in any apparent danger.

“Fuck off,” he yelled, turning back to the group of players who tried their best to ignore him.

“It’s just a game, man. A high school game.” Annie’s comment seemed to annoy the man even further.

“Fuck off, bitch.” This time he had shoved the girl and she landed flat on her bottom. She jumped to her feet and nearly took a swing but was held back by a now interfering Sally.

 

"Annie, don't bother with him. Scumbag's not worth it." Sally advised, being a much needed voice of reason, which Annie on most occasions was. Annie found it somewhat ironic that the usually hot headed girl had kept her in check, passing it off with a sly smile.

"But he-"

 

"Chill, girl. You're a band mom, and what are moms?" Sally cutoff, grabbing Annie by the shoulders.

"Level headed and cool." Annie recited weakly.

"And what are you?"

"I'm a cool mom." Annie declared, quoting the final line of the matriarch mantra.

"Damn straight you are. Now let me handle this." Sally ordered, placing her hand on the top of Annie's head and ruffling the girl's short pixie cut.

 

Sally directed Annie away from the drunken man, giving her a playful passing wink as she stopped just short of the man. She put on a friendly smile before tapping the man’s massive back. “Whatcha drinking there, cutie?” Sally asked sweetly, swaying left and right slightly with her hands deep in her sweatshirt’s pockets.

“None of your business,” he replied coldly.

“Mind if I take a sip?” she asked innocently.

 

“How old are you?”

“Psh, old enough. Just give me the booze. This game blows.” The man complied, passing her the can of beer he held in his hand. Sally smiled back, taking her hands out her pockets and gratefully received the drink. She dexterously palmed a tiny glass vial, slipping in a couple drops into the drink before feigning staking a drink. “So how about we meet up after the game.” Sally aggressively squeezed his hand before waving him off and walking away.

 

Sally quickly regrouped with Annie, making gagging noises while joining her friend. “What was all that for? I’m pretty sure you would’ve punched him over the rail.” Annie asked, feeling a little disturbed by the show of flirtation.

“Relax, my dear little Annabeth. I have my reasons.”

“Care to explain?” Annie asked, raising an eyebrow.

 

Sally reached into her pockets, pulling out an empty vial and brandished it teasingly in front Annie. “This thingy. Some really shady guy left an entire briefcase full of this stuff.”

“What is it?” Annie asked, hanging onto Sally’s words.

“Cyanide, heroin, an experimental bio-weapon that shrinks people, you know, pretty tame stuff.” Sally said, rushing her last few words.

 

“What?”

“Pretty neat, huh?”

 

“A shrinking chemical? And you used it on that guy?”

“Righty-O. That scumbag had it coming.” Sally said nonchalantly. Annie was a flustered to say the least, trying to comprehend the ridiculous action. “Besides it’s not like I’m gonna kill him or anything, just teach him a lesson and leave him in a gift basket at the hospital once I’m bored with him.”

 

“You’re a sociopath,” Annie claimed, half joking, hoping it was a weird, morbid joke.

“Maybe, but hey at least that guy’ll start respecting women when I’m done. I mean try it yourself.” Sally said while passing another tiny vial and placing it firmly into Annie’s gloved palm.

“Bull.” Annie said, calling out the joke.

 

“Alright,” Sally said acceptingly, “Believe what you want, but you can try it on Josh and get yourself a cute little boy toy.” Annie blushed again, her cheeks turning a soft rosy red as she thought of the idea of an inch tall Josh. “Besides, it’s only a matter of time before he screws up big time.”

 

Annie looked at the tiny vial, remembering that she saw the same thing on the news along with the strange logo on the lid. “I-I guess.” Annie stuttered, feeling pressured by the girl. She unfastened the velcro strip on her marching jacket, placing it into the hidden inside pocket that held her phone.

“Atta girl, just don’t get it on you. Stuff’s real strong.” Sally advised. She turned to the drunken man from before, her grin widening as the man seemed to be fighting to stay awake. “Oh wow, gotta go. Scumbag’s passing out.” Sally rushed over to the side of the inebriated man, faking concern and leading him out of the school, shooting a victorious glance towards the stunned Annie.

 

Annie sauntered back towards the band, thinking about what the hell had just happened. She thought back to the little potion in her pocket, wondering what she was going to use it for if it was in fact the real deal. She patted her chest, making sure it was still there and intact.

 

The girl wasn’t watching where she was going as she bumped into a larger, unstable figure as they both tumbled to the ground. Annie helped the person up, slowly noticing his tan skin, dark brown hair and an unforgettable, unfocused look on his eyes. Of course the most noticeable feature was the powerful stench of alcohol on his breath.

 

“Josh?”