- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

I'm terribly sorry about the time I took for posting this. The reason is because my Internet shut down for two weeks. So here you go, and thanks for your patience!

Gerald's POV


 


"Where is she taking Clerence?" Gerald asks the Australian woman named Hayley.


 


"Bintou is bringin her to Vault 532. That's where all champions are taken.”


 


“Why? What will happen there?” Gerald asks in distress, though he already knows why she's going there.


 


“The Vault is located in an abandoned farm, in the former Russian city of Voronezh. It was the original main center for all FEV productions, but Benin Belik moved it to Turkey a long time ago. Most of the equipment and terminals are still there, but the entire place has been long forgotten about.”


 


Gerald interrupts.


 


“And that's where she is going to create her army..?”


 


“Every month, a few champions are taken there by her associates. They're all kept there, waiting for the FEV2.0. A couple of scientists loyal to Bintou are stationed there, and they are the ones who will infect all the champions with the FEV2.0.”


 


The doorbell rings. Samantha says to herself 'that is fast' and walks downstairs. Gerald looks around and sees a bunch of paperwork.


 


“And who is this 'Mother Maya'?”


 


“She is the rebel leader.” Lesedi explains.


 


“But it's not her real name. Her real name is Kerima Maya, though she is also known as 'Cledice'. She has a lot of pseudonyms to keep her identity a secret. She made the mistake of making Bintou her successor, and now Bintou plans to kill her so she can take her place and the army that she is creating.”


 


“And I'm assuming that this Mother Maya is the better out of two evils here?” Gerald asks.


 


“I don't know what she's like, but anyone is better than Bintou. Whatever happens when Mother Maya wins the up coming war against the Empire, whatever she is planning, it can't be worse than what Bintou wants.”


 


Samantha has returned. But not alone. Another Giantess walks right behind her.


 


“Pfew... that's a lot of humans. I knew she has a lot of them, but I didn't imagine this.”


 


Her voice sounds somewhat familiar to Gerald. He knows he heard it before. But she doesn't look familiar.


 


“I know, that's why I'm so glad you came to help me, Sapphire. Bintou left us a bunch of paperwork with all the schedules. The plan is to get through every cage.”


 


“But that will take days!” Sapphire protests


 


“Yes, I know. I'm sorry. But just know that this will all be worth it, eventually. By the way, how did it go with that woman... what's her name again?”


 


“Melinda. And it went well. You can count in another rebel to our cause.” She says with a smile. Samantha on the other hand, is not fully relaxed yet.


 


“And you're sure no one heard you? The Empress already suspects something is going on. Even if one unimportant person hears about it, word will reach Avdonin. And then all will have been for nothing.”


 


“Yes, I'm sure. We met in the park after sunset a few days ago. No one goes there at that time, and even if anyone heard us talking, do you really think we'd be having this conversation? You know how fast word spreads here. I doubt we would even be alive now.”


 


Samantha seems to have relaxed a bid.


 


“Yeah, you must be right. Let's get started, shall we?”


 


They take a piece of paper from the pile and start the first fight.


 


Two days later


 


Forty hours of continues fighting have passed. No one has slept yet. Sapphire and Samantha can handle that, but the only thing that kept most of the people in the cages awake is the fear and the adrenaline. The two have been feeding the people every six hours to keep them fit and strong. Most have been doing a lot of physical training in the cages, to prepare for he upcoming fights. Only three cages remain, including Gerald's cage. He is still wondering what is to be done with him. They won't let him fight.. Right? He's a man. He won't join the army. There's no reason for it.


 


“Samantha. I really need a rest. Just give me a few minutes to drink something and I'll be back.”


 


“Sure. We're almost done anyways.”


 


“Thanks. would you like something from the kitchen?”


 


“I'm fine. Thanks.”


 


Sapphire leaves the attic. Samantha looks at the three remaining cages. The two other cages contain ten and eleven people. Except for that one cage, that only counts three people. Lesedi, Hayley and Gerald.


 


“We're just taking a little break. In the mean time I'll give you the scoreboard. We have had 2366 people in the arena so far, and 185 have made themselves champions. That's a ratio of... (she takes out a calculator that's right next to where the pile was) 7.8%. Not bad. But I have yet to see a warrior like that woman I brought in. I really hope one of you will impress me as much as she impressed me. Ah, I almost forgot. The... 56 that lost but survived will stay here with Bintou. Just another reminder that you must fight to the death, if it comes to that.”


 


Sapphire returns and says that she's ready to go. Samantha puts the two other cages in the Arena, and orders them to fight. After ten minutes, only one woman makes it.


 


“Good fight. Not as good as I hoped, but it will do.”


 


Samantha picks the two remaining champions up and places them in the cage where all the other champions are.


 


“So that's 187. Now we only have three left. Or, two that is.”


 


“What are you going to do with him?” Sapphire asks Samantha.


 


“Don't know. But he'll fight, I'll make sure of it.”


 


Samantha opens Gerald's cage. She pulls the two struggling women with her gigantic hand out of the cage. Before Gerald can jump out of the opened cage she slams it shut. The two women are placed on either side, and are handed a machete.


 


“You two are friends, right? I overheard your conversations. That will make it even more fun.”


 


Gerald gets sick with anger. She is going to let the two fight against each other.


 


“You might not be able to proof yourself in a fight like the other have, since you'll only have to kill one person. But at least you killed a dear friend. It's enough for me.”


 


“We will never fight each other!” Lesedi yells.


 


“I knew you'd say that. But I'll remind you of what happens to survivors. You can give up your arms, but you'll be at the mercy of Bintou when she returns. And we both know that neither of you want it. Just see it like this: killing the other is an act of mercy. That person won't get infected, and won't be Bintou's toy. But do whatever you want, I'll watch.”


 


The two women look at each other. But neither of them can come up with a decision.


 


“I can't! I can't kill her.” Hayley says.


 


“Fine. My lovely friend here will take you to her cabinet to the others. Just know it's your own fault.” Samantha says.


 


The black Giantess picks the two women up and takes her down. Gerald is sort of glad to see them resisting, though they will now have to deal with the devil. And now, Samantha turns her attention to Gerald.


 


“I can't let you enter the army... and there's no fun in a fight anymore. But you seem capable enough. How about you join my staff? I can always use another worker.”


 


“Like hell I will! I'd rather die!”


 


“It's either that, or you can join Bintou's staff. And believe me, mine is employee friendlier.” She says with a smile on her face. Gerald thinks about it. He really doesn't have a choice in the matter.


 


“Fine then.”


 


“Great!” Samantha puts him in her right pocket. Sapphire has returned.


 


“Now what?” She asks Samantha.


 


Samantha looks at the champion cage.


 


“Now, we find a way to smuggle this cage out of The Wall unseen.”