- Text Size +

Travelling back to Brandon I decided it would be best if I had the implant taken out. It was a hell of an experience, but I spent the whole of the last day fighting the temptation to change back into a shoe and be worn again. I needed to go cold turkey, I couldn't make this a regular this, it would just be ridiculous. Every time I closed my eyes I went back to that day, there was a little voice in me urging me to give it all up and become a shoe full time, it just wasn't healthy. The best thing would be for the implant to be removed and that day can just become a memory.

I got off the bus and returned to Triumvirate's building, the lobby still as drab as ever. I had to cough the get the attention of the temp, who was more concerned with his phone.

"Oh you again?" He said, barely looking over his phone "They want you back for their data? Go right in" He buzzed me through into the bright corridor, once again I wandered to the third door on the right and knocked on the door. Dr Arnold told me to enter from the other side. I entered to find him alone, no Dr McQuilty to be found

"Ah, Corey. How are you?" He said, wearing that smile that seemed etched onto his face. It took me a minute to remember my alias. I decided to come clean.

"I'm good. Before we start I want to give you full disclosure. The details I put on the form were fake. My name is Will Temple. I originally was going to just take the implant and run but... it really works! It was amazing, the most incredible thing in my life!" Dr Arnold gazed at me over his thick spectacles.

"I appreciate the honesty my boy, but there was no danger. If you hadn't shown up today we would have merely activated the implant and trapped you in your altered form" There was a pregnant pause before Dr Arnold let out a hearty laugh. The thing was, I still wasn't sure he was joking. I joined in with nervous laughter.

"Well, let's see what data you've acquired" Dr Arnold said, changing the subject.

"Uhh, how are we going to do this? Are you going to take the implant out?"

"No, we can use the remote to access the data from the implant. You have it, right?" I pulled the remote out of my pocket and handed it to him. "Still programmed? You may want to be careful with that; you could accidentally sit on a button and be changed when you least expect it." My face revealed I didn't consider that as I reflected on what a near miss the bus journey had been. "This will take about half an hour, so why don't you go get something to eat, and we'll meet back here then."

I took him up on his suggestion and left the building in search of food. Reaching into my pocket I grabbed whatever change I had; barely enough to get a hot dog. Between the bus trips back and forth, my cash flow was taking a serious hit. Dad was right, I needed a job. I managed to grab something cheap and returned to the office, where Dr Arnold was now joined by Dr McQuilty, who was engrossed with the figures on her computer monitor.

"This is some quality data, Mr Temple" Dr McQuilty said. Probably the first time I had heard her be positive. I noted she used my real name

"I see Dr Arnold has told you about my fake details" I said, but she just returned to looking at the monitor. Dr Arnold spoke up,

"You can call me Geoff dear boy, and Simone is right, this is quite incredible"

"What object did you change into?" Dr McQuilty said, not looking up from the monitor. My face flushed, not wanting to reveal what it was I was getting up to. Dr Arnold suddenly grabbed my remote off of his desk.

"Easy way to find out;" Before I could do anything he pressed the red button, sending me shrinking into my own clothes. I was back in my flip flop form, and couldn't see as I was buried in my own clothes. Suddenly a giant hand fished me out of the pile of clothes, it belonged to Dr Arnold "A sandal? How novel! That must have been some ride! Hey Simone, want to try him on?" My heart sank as I looked nervously over at Dr McQuilty, who, thankfully,  just rolled her eyes. Dr Arnold let out another hearty laugh. I wasn't sure if I liked his sense of humour.

Placing me back on the ground, he pressed the button again and I was back to my normal self; completely naked. I quickly put my clothes back on and addressed something that puzzled me

"I thought when I changed, I would be like that for at least an hour?"

"That's just a self-timer" He explained "If somebody else pushes the button, you'll be in that form until they press it again." I decided now would be an opportune moment to bring up my reservations.  

"Can the implant be taken out?" I asked. Drs Arnold and McQuilty exchanged looks.

"Of course it can" Dr Arnold started "Do you want it out?"

"I was just thinking it can't be healthy to keep doing this" I stammered, their inquisitive looks making me nervous.

"This data is very good, better than any test subject so far" Dr McQuilty said "We would like it if you could continue"

"We can offer you a small salary in exchange for this of course. What do you say?" It was a lot to take in. They were willing to pay me to live out my fantasy. This was perfect, wasn't it? This was like my dream job, I'd be a fool to say no, but then again I was having issues keeping my impulses under control. While I was mulling this over, Dr Arnold simply offered his hand. I decided that the pros outweighed the cons and took his hand.

"Deal" I said, which made the smile on his face even greater.

"Great, we feel your data is so good because you were actually used. All the other test subjects changed themselves into statues and ornaments and just stood there for a few hours. You were actually active."

"We will need you to return in two weeks, with more data. Please try and change into an assortment of items" Dr McQuilty said "Is there anything else you require?" I decided to address my biggest concern

"Uhh, is there anything that can be done about needing to be naked to change?" I asked hopefully. Once again, Dr Arnold let out a belly laugh, then reached into a filing cabinet and pulled out what looked like a Speedo.

"Wear that and it'll change with you. It's made out of material we made as a by-product of this little endeavour. It should cover your modesty nicely" He handed it to me, I was unsure how to react

"Do you have anything that may cover more of my body?" I asked

"That stuff ain't cheap to make" He said indignantly. I guessed I should be thankful for small graces and left. I had a fortnight to change into multiple things and be used, the possibilities were endless.

That night at dinner I told Summer and my Dad that I had a new job, intentionally being light on detail.

"So what exactly is it you're doing?" He asked between bites.

"Uhh, I'm a... research assistant" I said, technically not lying

"How did you even get a job like that?" Summer asked raising an eyebrow. her suspicion was natural, I'd never taken that much of an interest in science.

"I just saw an advert online and thought 'easy money'" I shrugged. Maybe it was a mistake to mention this.

"Maybe you should think about getting a job Summer" Dad said "You're always asking for extra cash"

"Ugh, who has time for that" She scoffed. "I'm headed to the beach tomorrow. I don't need cash for that" My interest was piqued. Summer going to the beach was an opportunity to become her shoe again and get data for Triumvirate. I resolved to redo the plan that had worked so well the other day.

I awoke the next day, late. Checking the time I saw that it was nine, well past when Summer usually showered. I had missed my window of opportunity. I peeked out my door to see if I could see anything. I was in luck, Summer hadn't left yet, though she was ready to go. I saw her with her phone in one hand and in the other she was dangling her flip flops. She placed them down on an end table and walked into the bathroom. This was my chance! Quick as a flash I threw on the Speedo-like underwear that would change with me and snuck out of my room. I grabbed the flip flop that I would soon be a copy of and threw it into Summer's room and quickly closed the door. I then hopped up onto the end table and pressed the button. I was, once again, Summer's footwear.

Summer came out of the bathroom and picked me and my partner shoe up by our straps. It really hammered home how small and light I was like this to be supported just by one of her fingers. To my disappointment, Summer did not put me on her feet, but in her bag, which she then threw over her shoulder. Every step she took jostled everything inside the bag and made me queasy. Unfortunately for me, Summer kept quite a few sharp things in her bag, I was constantly getting jabbed by keys and the like. It was a hell of a lot nicer being worn. On her foot I felt like I meant something, in here I'm just a... thing.

Summer got into a car and threw me into the back seat. I managed to wiggle enough, so I was mildly comfortable in her bag. I could see out of the bag, but could only really see the interior of the car, from my perspective all I could see out of the window was sky. I got a lot of false starts whenever the car stopped, hoping we'd arrived. I was so bored in this bag, I tried listening to Summer and her friend's conversation but it was like trying to hear music through a thick wall, I could hear sounds but not enough to form them into words.

Finally the car stopped and Summer grabbed the bag I was in and climbed out of the car. I could hear seagulls in the distance and smell the sea air; we were finally hear. Summer plucked me from the bag and threw me to the ground, then placed her mighty foot onto me. I was where I belonged. It took me a while to get used to being worn again, reacquainting myself with the rise of the heel, the feeling of being thrown through the air and finally the shuddering crash back down to earth.

As Summer made her way onto the beach, I noticed the ground becoming rockier, making me bend to conform to them. I guess I was spoiled the other day with smooth sidewalk and mall floor. As she got onto the sand, the experience got worse as little grains of sand got everywhere, making the bottom of Summer's foot extra coarse. It felt like I was being sanded every time her foot pressed down on me. Being Summer's shoe sure did suck at the beach.

Luckily, I wasn't used for an extended amount of time as Summer decided to sunbathe not long after arriving. Laying down her towel, she slipped me off and went to lie down. Her feet were towering above me, I could see every detail of her sole, every wrinkle, every blemish. After that it all got quiet, just the odd twitch of her foot to keep my attention.

The sun was beating down today making me feel extra hot. It didn't help that I was black and made of rubber and foam at the moment. I laid there for what felt like hours and couldn't help feeling I'd made some sort of mistake. Then I felt it.

I started to feel tingly, like I did when I was about to change back. This couldn't be happening, it was too soon! Or was it? Oh man, I didn't change the time setting! It was still on two hours! This was a disaster, she just couldn't catch me! I tried with all of my might to fight the change, but it was no good, I felt myself growing. Maybe she wouldn't notice, maybe I could change straight back before she even realises. As I returned to human form, I took a second to get my bearings and pressed the red button again.

"WILL!? WHAT THE HELL!?" or at least I would have if I didn't hear that the second I changed back. I was so screwed...

 

Chapter End Notes:


Dun, dun duuuuuuun