- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

Amelia develops the feels. Don't worry, it's not contagious.

"Here it is!"

Matt beheld the box.

"Here's what?"

            She looked down at him for split-second, then,

"Oh!" She hurriedly took off the top of the box, and set it aside carefully. "You see, little Matt, I collect Ilican things. I think I have a pretty big collection so far…"

She dug her hands in, and pulled out a smaller box that was labeled in ink 'weapons.'

She set it before Matt, and opened it. Inside were meticulously labeled tools of combat: swords, knives, bows, axes, spears…. And even some weapons Matt didn't even recognize.

"Ah. Here it is…" He jumped up into the box, careful to avoid cutting his feet, and grabbed a white ashen polearm; his spear.

"It's a nice spear… I put it in here as soon as I found it. Truthfully, I didn’t think you were going to make it, soooo… hahaha…" She gave an even wryer smile than any other before. "Guess I was wrong."

Matt smiled and gave a single laugh.

"Yeah, I suppose so. I'm just glad you found it."

            He jumped back down, and inspected it… just as he left it. He went into a fighting pose, spear pointed out. For an entire minute, he went into a trained routine of thrusts and parries, using the spear more as a bo staff than an actually spear. The, he tossed the spear up, caught it spearhead down, and threw it. It whistled as it flew, and struck the box with a thud, sticking and vibrating slightly. Amelia clapped, softly.

"Wow... that's amazing! I've never seen someone that good with human weapon… you could easily beat the royal guard…"

            Matt laughed in his mind. You have no idea, Amelia. On the outside smiled and shrugged, arms up.

"The royal guards are brave and skilled men in their own realm." Amelia laughed at that. She was pretty sharp…. For a giant. He turned back to his hostess.

"So. What else have you 'acquired' in that box of yours?"

            She smiled at him.

"Well…" She said drawn out as she rummaged through the box.

"Clothes… furniture… toys… money… aaaaaand… miscellaneous."

            He cocked an eyebrow.

"Miscellaneous? What's in there?" He walked over to yank out the spear.

            She put a finger to her chin, eyes to the roof.

"You know, I'm not sure." She took out the box labeled (you guessed it) miscellaneous, and set it down. Matt opened it up, eyes taking in the glorious treasures of a packrat.

"So?" Amelia inquired. "What's inside? It's been ages since I looked…"

            Matt began to rummage inside, taking out what he found interesting.

"Hmm… spoons…cups… some hay… some old manuscripts… a flattening iron… a compass… and… hey, a stringscop."

"A stingstop?" She looked puzzled. "What's a stingstop? Some kind of leaf?"
            She involuntarily scratched her neck. Matt was utterly amused by this.

"No, a stringscop. It's a musical instrument." He held it up at arms length. The body was leaf shaped box, with a hole in the center. Protruding of the smaller end of the leaf-box, a sectioned stalk, and at the end, a place where the strings would be held. Across the entire instrument, seven strings were stretched over the hole and the stalk.

"Ooooh… so, what's it do?" She was sitting now, arms folded with intent.

"Well," Said Matt, "It's used for entertainment. You could usually see one with a singer in a tavern or mead hall. Some of them are pretty good, but other times, they get kicked out."

"Harsh."

"Yeah. We Ilicans are raggedy bastards."

            Amelia laughed, but tried to cover it up, not trying to be rude. Matt started to tune the thing.

"So, um… do you play, Matt?"

            He continued for a second, then glanced up, then, "Oh, uh… yeah, I do. Just a bit

though."

"Really?"

"Yeah, I guess."

"Can you play something right now?"

            He hesitated.

"I dunno… I'm pretty rusty."

"Oh please…"

"No, really. Hahaha…"

"Ok, then, I demand it, as your hostess."
"Hostess? More like prison warden." Laughter.

"Ok, then…"

            She lowered her hand, and made a cage over Matt.

"Play a song, or I'll squish ya!"

"Ah, you wouldn’t." Matt still kept his cool demeanor, and didn't stop tuning.

            After a second,

"Yeah… I'm too nice I guess." She smiled at him, and he retracted her hand.

            He sat there a moment, still tuning.

"Alright, then."

            He sat down, and put the stringscop on its side in his lap. Positioning his hands, he looked up at her.

"I heard this in a tavern once, played by four wandering bards."

"A group of bards? Did they have a name?"

            He thought for a moment.

"I forget. The Deaf Guards or something. They were really good, anyways."

            His hands started to pick the first strings, lightly.

"Oh! This tale is called 'Skalds and Shadows.'"

            He began to play. A beautiful melody accompanied by a warm voice came into her ears, one that soothed her and for once in a long time, her heart was calm.

 

            Would you believe
            In a night like this?
            A night like this,
            When visions come true?
            Would you believe
            In a tale like this?
            A lay of bliss,
            We're praising the old lore…
            Come to the blazing fire, and
            See me in the Shadows!
            See me in the Shadows!


            Songs I will sing,
            Of runes and rings;
            Just hand me my harp:
            This night
            Turns into myth!
            Nothing seems real;
            You soon will feel,
            The World we live in
            Is another skald's
            Dream in the shadows!
            Dream in the shadows!

            Do you believe
            There is sense in it?
            Is it truth or myth?
            They're one in my rhymes.
            Nobody knows
            The meaning behind
            The weaver's line
            Well, nobody else;
            But the Norns can
            See through
            The blazing fires of time, and
            All things will proceed as the
            Child of the hallowed
            Will speak to you now…
            See me in the Shadows!
            See me in the Shadows!

            Songs I will sing,
            Of tribes and kings;
            The carrion bird,
            And the hall of the slain.
            Nothing seems real,
            You soon will feel:
            The World we live in
            Is another skald's
            Dream in the shadows!
            Dream in the shadows!

            Do not fear for my reason,
            There's nothing to hide:
            How bitter your treason,
            How bitter the lie.
            Remember the runes,
            And remember the light…
            All I ever want
            Is to be at you side!
            We'll  gladden the raven,
            Now I will
            Run through the blazing fires,
            That's my choice!
            'Cause things
            Shall proceed as foreseen!

 

            Matt set down the stringscop, and looked back up at Amelia. A look of pure serenity was on her face. She was sitting with one hand under her head, smiling.

            He snapped his fingers,

"Blind Guardian! That's who wrote the tale…"

            It was then, she realized, after the heavenly and mystical bard song, that she was in love with Matt, the tiny Ilican.

 

Chapter End Notes:

Skalds and Shadows is a real song, done by a real live german band. They're weird and havent really put out anything good since,... like forever. except that one they did about Wheel of Time (kinda)

 

Amelia gets down to business real quick like