- Text Size +

It was another year, just like any other, except now this was my last year of college. I was 21 and was majoring in Psychology with no particular plan of what to do after graduation. I decided I would just take some time to understand myself and not blend my identity with the presence of others. I wanted an apartment by myself, where I could feel completely independent of anyone.

I love the outdoors and sports, and considered myself to be fit and athletic with a decent amount of coordination. I loved my major, I love playing video games, and I love new experiences. Novelty is what made life exciting. I was always full of confidence and humor throughout my life and in college it only became more so. I see myself as a very kind, accepting, and open-minded human being that places a heavy emphasis on the logistics and practicality of things. Physically I am a bit on the shorter side standing at 5'6", but that never stopped me from doing anything.

Currently I am single, and so I could get a relatively small apartment in the city and still manage it. So that's exactly what I did. Summer break had just started so I found an apartment in the central east part of town which had the essentials and to be honest, it was a little luxurious. It had a walk-in closet, high ceilings, nice countertops, a huge bed, and it even came partially furnished. I got it, thinking I should treat myself.

After a couple weeks, I had finally settled in. Living in the city all on my own had become a reality. I went to retrieve some mail, when I saw a piece of paper taped to my door.

"Hello! This is your new neighbor, Mikayla. I just wanted to let you know it might be a little noisy today since my stuff is getting moved in, so I hope it doesn't bother you too much."

I went I grabbed my mail, not thinking much about the note. I continued my Sunday as I normally would. A nice warm coffee to wake me up, along with some morning news. It was going well, but then I had an idea. If I'm going to be neighborly, I should make her something as a welcoming gift. I decided on the cliche cake option, so I checked the fridge. Nothing. I was going to need to go to the store.

I debated if it was worth it, but decided I should. I left and went to the nearest grocery store, picking up flour, eggs, vanilla, and some other baking essentials. After which I returned home to see furniture outside of my neighbors place. I hurried inside, hoping our first encounter would be with the cake. Fortunately I think I made it in without her seeing me. I resumed my prior work and began to bake the cake. 

After an hour and half, the cake was nearly finished. The last half hour there had been some sporadic thuds against the wall so I assumed she was home some where. I quickly frosted the cake and placed it into a container to take over. Perfect. Now it's time.

I walked out and towards her apartment. I noticed her door was closed so I gathered some courage to knock.

Knock, knock, knock.

"Come in!" A feminine voice called out. 

I walked in to see a dimly lit place that had obviously just been furnished with no coherent plan of where to place things. I looked around to see a woman sitting on the backside of her table with only her body visible above her stomach. She appeared to have a beautiful face, with tan skin, an some pretty blue eyes. Her hair was blonde and she had an elegant, shorter cut which complemented her face well. Overall, she was stunning.

"HI there! I'm Matt. I got your note from earlier so I thought I'd drop this off." I stated while gesturing to the cake in my hand.

"Oh how sweet of you! I'm Mikayla in case you didn't remember. But go ahead and set the cake on the small table to your left. I am actually in a hurry to eat and then I need to go pick up some more stuff."

That was a total disappointment for baking a cake, I thought, but I decided to continue my kindness.

"Oh okay, well if you ever need help, just let me know. I'd be glad to help," I offered.

"Thanks Matt, but I think I'll be okay. I don't mean to sound rude, but I'm gonna continue eating a rush outta here. It was good to meet you and I look forward to getting to know you. In fact, I'm gonna go dancing tonight by myself in the city if you would like to join me,"She responded.

Finally, at least she was making an effort so I accepted, "Sure. That sounds like fun. When and where?"

"At the club around the corner. Black Zeroes I think it's called. Let's meet at nine. I'll grab a table. All you have to do is remember my beautiful face," she joked.

"Shouldn't be too hard. Alright well I will see you later Mikayla!"

"Alright Matt, bye!"

I walked out with shivers of excitement pulsing through my body. I had no idea of her intentions or her availability, but I was just happy to have some plans and potentially a new friend. I opened my door to resume my relaxed Sunday.