- Text Size +

Space travel always managed to set Adella's nerves on edge. Being trapped in a metal box drifting through space was bad enough. Being trapped in a metal box as it surfed the empyrean currents of the Warp, with only a thin field of energy between the ship and mind warping horrors tipped it over the edge. Gellar Field failures weren't unheard of either. She offered a few extra prayers for an uneventful journey to her morning observances in the ship's rather tiny chapel to the God-Emperor.

It was a cramped space that could likely fit no more than twenty souls. That would probably be pushing it as well. Nothing extravagant and she was actually somewhat surprised a merchant transport possessed one at all. She approved of course, however the majority of trading ships she had travelled with lacked them. Usually the crew were left to handle their own little individual shrines. There was even a crewman who bore vestments of the Ecclesiarchy to attend those that were at prayer.

Naturally she and her fellow sisters had visited at least once a day for the three days since they had departed Sicarus. She frequented it a bit more often to pray for a safe journey. It was a self-indulgent prayer in ways, one frowned upon by the sisterhood normally but she figured it was also for the good of the thousands of other souls aboard. If need be she would fast as penance once this task was over and done with. Satisfied she stood from the altar and brushed off her dark robes. As battle was still many days from now most of her sisters wore the simple robes and sandals of pilgrims, the inquisitor's cover to avoid getting too much attention from the crew.

Adella turned and was about to leave the small chamber when she noted the inquisitor leaning by the entrance. She lifted a bleached brow to the other woman and approached, offering the other woman a nod of difference. Technically she was the immediate superior here after all and obedience to those higher up the food chain was beaten into every sister through wrote and lash. Ayela smirked and offered a nod of her own before gesturing for the taller woman to walk with her out of the chapel.

The pair walked side by side through the metal caverns of the merchant transport, crewmen ducking a weaving past them to carry out their duties. Most passengers tended to keep to their quarters however as the captain knew well who was aboard the sisters and the inquisitor were afforded free reign of the ship. The air was thick with the scent of various oils and plasma exhaust, the hum of the great engine a constant feeling and sound through the halls. The crew numbered in the tens of thousands, each one tending to the needs of the ship in their own way. The ship was more a city in that way as far as Adella was concerned. Or some great lumbering beast of metal with humans filling its bloodstream, keeping its heart ever pumping.

"Space travel makes you nervous, Sister Adella." The inquisitor said. It was not a question.

Adella swallowed her shame and nodded slightly. "Yes. It is... unnerving being trapped in these steel halls. With only a thin bubble between us and the daemons of the Warp." She admitted.

Ayela chuckled. "I agree. I personally dislike it as well. However I also know that the crew have likely made this same voyage countless times without much trouble. If they are not overly worried then I must trust their confidence."

That admittance surprised Adella a fair bit. Most inquisitors she had met projected an aura of intimidation, trying to look as implacable as possible. Ayela seemed a fair bit more... not exactly easy going but more personable certainly. With her rosette tucked away in her pocket one might never know she was an inquisitor. A good attitude for an inquisitor to carry herself with she supposed, to better catch the heathen unaware. The pair got on an elevator and were moving down towards the passenger section she noted.

"True. Even still just being trapped within these walls with no open sky nearby..." The taller woman trailed off.

The inquisitor lifted a brow. "You aren't claustrophobic are you?"

Adella blushed. "I... am not fond of being in closed spaces for too long, no, my lady. I will ensure it will not be an inconvenience to you for as long as I am to serve you." She said.

"No need to worry. It's best I know these things however. Our target is a very powerful psyker and has a way of getting into people's heads. I trust in the stalwartness of your faith absolutely, Sister, however fear can crush the resolve of even the most righteous. Hence why I'm pulling you aside for a few hours." The inquisitor stated.

Adella felt no small amount of dread at those words. She held no trace of heresy within her soul and of that she was confident but she was a mortal human and had fears like any other. She did not look forward to having the inquisitor pick through them though it seemed necessary. Best to have a prepared mind for the battle to come. Her faith and zeal could see her through much but obviously Ayela did not consider that to be enough for this threat. That alone worried the sister more than she would like to admit.

They arrived at the inquisitor's quarters and entered. The captain had given her quite a luxurious cabin with a large bed, writing desk, fine tapestries and carpeting along with a small closet. Something generally reserved for extremely well paying travelers, but then Adella supposed the old captain was getting something for his trouble. The resources of the Inquisition were vast after all and capturing a notorious heretic would certainly be a high priority for the Ordo Hereticus. The inquisitor kicked off her sandals and sat down cross legged upon the bed, gesturing for Adella to take the chair before her.

"Right. So I should tell you I am a psyker as well."

That earned a wide eyed and fearful glance from Adella, a typical response in regards to that kind of information being dropped on her. The fear was quashed very quickly as she reminded herself that she had nothing to fear from the inquisitor. Though it was becoming apparent how Ayela intended to prepare her for the battle to come. To say the idea made her uncomfortable would be an understatement, like all Emperor fearing imperial citizens she was brought up to fear the psyker.

"I see. Then you want to look into my mind." She stated.

"No. I want to test your mind. You cannot afford to have any cracks in your psyche and if you do have weaknesses you must learn to control them. The process is not pleasant but it will prepare you for the battle to come. It is not just you I will test but all of your sisters." Ayela stated.

The inquisitor held out her hands for Adella to take. The sister hesitated only for a moment before gripping the woman's thin fingers. Fear of course was prominent in her mind but she knew that the inquisitor had a point to her test. If their quarry could assault their minds and incapacitate them then she and her sisters would be useless to the inquisitor. She didn't like the idea of opening her mind to another but it was better to be prepared for what was to come. The thought of what Ayela could do to her mind when unprotected was not even entertained; the inquisitor was a holy servant of the God-Emperor after all.

"Relax. Close your eyes and match your breathing to mine."

Adella did so, slowing her breathing and trying to match the sound of Ayela's breathing. As she did she felt something start to poke and prod at the surface of her mind. It was nothing major at first though as the minutes dragged on it became more forceful. Her first and instinctive response was to jerk away from the inquisitor but she pushed the response down. It was so very alien to feel something probing at her thoughts, to have another person swimming around in her mind. The psyker she had fought long ago had not used telepathy. Instead he had unleashed telekinetic forces upon her sisters.

As time continued to crawl on the prodding pieced its way deeper into her mind, drinking in her memories and thoughts. It only got more and more personal as time went on and on as Ayela dissected her down to her very soul. She could see everything she might want to and Adella found herself feeling an almost impulsive loathing for the woman as she rifled through the sanctity of her mind. Her breathing got louder and more frequent as she tightened her grip on the psyker's fingers almost painfully.

"Adella! Stop, you're going to break my fingers!"

The probing tore away from her and Adella immediately released her hold on the inquisitor's hands. She felt clammy for the experience and looking at the time she noted that a full hour had passed between the initial entry and now. It hadn't felt nearly that long. Ayela was nursing her abused fingers and Adella felt shame wash over her. She slumped back in her chair and tried to come down from the experience herself. Just from a probing she'd reacted violently, how then might the actual test go?

"I am most sorry inquisitor; I don't know what came over me." She said.

"It's alright; the first time is always unpleasant. It's going to get a lot more unpleasant unfortunately. I've recognized key areas where our quarry might target so I'll have to attack those points until you build a resistance. My suggestion is you try and focus on a singular thing. A litany or a verse of a hymnal. Something simple to try and block the attacks. Please hold still, I'll need to restrain you." Ayela responded, moving around behind Adella's chair.

She took the taller woman's wrists and bound them behind her back and then for good measure tied her ankles to the chair leg. Adella was strong but the chair was solid metal so it was unlikely even she would be able to escape. She closed her eyes and tried to focus on a singular thing. She focused upon a prayer she often offered up to the Emperor and repeated it under her breath over and over again. Ayela tested the bonds and stood back, gripping a handful of Adella's bleached hair to hold her head steady.

"Let us begin." She said.

All at once Adella felt her mind assaulted by one fear after another, her senses convincing her the images were very real. First she was stuck in a metal box. It was dark and stifling and there was no way out. She saw herself banging and screaming as the air slowly started to leave her lungs. She could feel the panic rising within her as she tried to writhe out of Ayela's grasp but found it ultimately futile. The sister felt herself start to hyperventilate and it was then that she repeated the prayer over and over, louder this time.

"Holy Emperor, give me the strength to defend my fellow man. Holy Emperor, give me the strength to defend my fellow man. Holy Emperor, give me the strength to defend my fellow man!" She repeated, each incantation becoming more and more desperate.

The box evaporated but in its place she found her mind assailed by the shapeless horrors that dwelled within the Warp. Her prayers helped her center her mind and her faith kept her from breaking down entirely for a time however with the tools of her deepest fears right in the hands of the inquisitor she doubted she would last very long. Tears leaked from her eyes as she tried to divert her mind from the fears with her faith, continuing to let the prayer sound through her mind. This wasn't real. Its wasn't real.

After what felt like hours it finally stopped and Adella was left gasping and slumped over in her chair, sweat pouring from her body. Her blue eyes sought out the inquisitor who was frowning ever so slightly. She swallowed as she finally found the will to speak. "How long has it been?"

"Two minutes. I guarantee you likely would have been rendered immobile as well by the fear. We still have much work to do." She said, gripping Adella's hair once again.

This time the sister was not ashamed to admit that she screamed.

_____________________________________________________________________

Through the rest of the journey Ayela tested each of Adella's sisters. The Sister Superior herself felt as though scars had been gouged into her brain even now as they arrived at Dorith. She felt better prepared to ward of telepathic attacks certainly but she suspected she would carry those long and torturous hours with the inquisitor with her long after this mission was completed. Her other sisters did not appear to be much better for the tests. Indeed her 2nd in command still looked rather pale from her trial the previous night. In the end though their faith had proved strong enough to surmount these tests. It was a fact Adella took some pride in as she filed into the gun cutter with her armed and armored sisters.

The vessel departed the larger vessel and was heading towards the main hive of Dorithis. The inquisitor had briefed her on the plan of course; first they were to make contact with her agent in one of the warehouse districts in the lower habs. He would have all the info they needed before the assault could begin. According to her it would likely be a quick entry and then smash operation. Or more accurately, burn. Indeed at least half of her squad were going to be making use of flamers, better to purge out the taint of Chaos.

The gun cutter touched on one of the lower hive landing pads in the dark of night with very little pomp and ceremony, the black armored Adella heading out with the Inquistor with her 2nd in command in tow. The inquisitor was quick to produce her rosette to the questioning dock master, who paled and waived the necessary documentation and fees. Adella fell in step beside her superior as they walked into the great urban nightmare of the hive, ever watchful for threats. Iria flanked the inquisitor's other side as the procession marched through the back streets of the lower habs.

Any who were in their path soon got out of the way at the sight of the two armored women flanking their charge, the warehouse district soon coming into view. The normal sprawl of the hives was absent this area at night with only the odd cretin or servitor moving through the place. The Inquisitor directed them towards the nearest warehouse as a signal light winked at the group. The doors opened to welcome them, and the group stepped in. From the darkness emerged a hooded and cloaked figure.

"Inquisitor. You could not have made your arrival less... conspicuous?" The figured hissed, throwing back the hood to reveal an older man with a pinched face and eyes as dark as dead stars.

Ayela smirked. "Figured it best to avoid the gangers trying to mug three robed women. I doubt Qora will hear of my arrival for some time, Markus."

Markus gave her a doubtful look before shrugging and producing a dataslate for the slim woman. The doors of the warehouse were shut behind them and only the dim artificial light was witness to the meeting. Iria looked a bit uncomfortable with this sneaking around which hardly surprised Adella. The younger woman was quite blunt and preferred the direct route most often. Subtlety had never been her forte but she was second to none but the Canoness in her sheer zeal upon the field of battle.

"They will be meeting tomorrow in the underhive, District 16. Apparently Qora is conducting some mass gathering of this hive's cultists. Some hundred followers will likely be in attendance at least. Possibly more." He stated.

"Do the Arbites know?" Ayela questioned.

Markus shook his head. "I doubt anyone knows outside of the cult and now you. You know how careful Qora can be."

The inquisitor nodded. "Suggestions for getting into the meeting?"

He shrugged. "Pose as new members. The quirks of the cultists are all in that data slate, everything I could find. Maybe you and four others go in, the rest smash in the door. The surprise would let you get close to the witch and put a round in her face."

Iria sneered. "Should we be so frightened of mere cultists of Chaos? It would be a simple matter to just burn everything inside without any of this ridiculous sneaking. Our faith should be what we depend upon, not skulking about." She said scornfully.

Markus regarded the tall woman with a frown. "If you want the witch to get away, sure, go ahead and go in halfcocked." He replied coldly.

Iria looked fit to retort but was silenced but Adella's upraised hand. Ayela paid no mind to the goings on and instead had immersed herself in her examinations of the data slate. She started pacing slightly as she went through whatever information was to be found within. The Sister Superior was not exactly fond of sneaking around either but if their foe was so dangerous that she required mental conditioning it was likely best to just deal with her quickly. If they needed to play infiltration then so be it.

After a little while the Inquisitor turned back to Markus and nodded to him. "Thank you; this information will go a long way to dealing with Qora once and for all." She said with a grateful smile.

The man bowed slightly. "Thank you, my lady, just make sure to put a bullet between her eyes for me. She has that coming at least."

With that it appeared this brief meeting was concluded as the man departed from the warehouse and after another quick once over on the data slate the inquisitor motioned for the sisters to follow her. Adella could feel her blood pumping. He had said it would all happen tomorrow. The Sister Superior felt eager to wash away this taint from the face of the Imperium. With the mental conditioning Ayela had granted her and her sisters Adella was confident they could hold their own against whatever horrors awaited. With faith, bolter, and flamer they would purge this foul witch and her blasphemies.