- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
This was a story that I thought about one day. Hope you guys enjoy.
Where do I begin? Well, let's start off with a name. Wait...what is my name? Did the medicine really affect my memory too? On the bright side, I remember everything else about me, from how old I am to my favorite color but I couldn't remember my own name. Was is it Steve? That doesn't sound right. Joe maybe? No but getting close. I'm just going to skip my name and get into other things. I'm nineteen, just got out of high school and just got a brand new job working with my least favorite thing ever. Coffee. Just out of the house and out in the real world, I needed the money so I took the nearest available job in the area. The new coffee shop just opened and it paid well enough. But I did have to take some medicine for my severe headaches that I would get from the constant inhalation of the coffee grounds. But now, I'm no longer a person. I don't know how it happened or how I got here, but I was now a fraction of my original size and now I'm in a bright pink prison.

I've been in here for almost an hour, not knowing where I was. All I could see was the bright pink wall that was lit up by what appeared to be the sun. "Hello!" I called out to absolute nothing in what appeared to be a plastic egg. I've felt the walls enough to know that what surrounded me was plastic. Not to mention, I was naked. The last thing I remember before I woke up in this pink plastic tomb was coming home from work. I had a headache so I took a few pills that my doctor prescribed for my migraines that seemed to be more prevalent the longer I worked. The next thing I know, I wake inside the prison that was pink and shaped like an egg. Wait, now that I think about it, isn't it almost Easter? Am I in an Easter egg?

The longer she stayed here with her drunk relatives, the more Miranda regretted agreeing with her mother to come to her grandmother's house for Easter. Her mother had fought her tooth and nail to get her to come here every single year so she went with the one that would drag Miranda here with almost zero fight. Money.

"I'll give you fifty dollars if you come to grandmas for two hours and play with your cousins. Come on Miranda. Please?" Her mother asked in a hushed voice. She asked her daughter while she was sitting on her bed, playing on her phone. She then put her phone on her chest and sighed. "Fine. But do I have to do the Easter egg hunt? I'm eighteen now. I'm too old for it." Miranda then got up to a sitting position.

"You know how old I was when had my last Easter egg hunt was? I was twenty two. Now get dressed. We leave in ten minutes. And here." Miranda's mother then left the fifty dollar bill on her nightstand and closed the door.

She then got up from her bed and walked to her shoe closet. She had already prepared herself for the day even though she didn't plan on doing anything for the day. She had her dark blue pair of skinny jeans on with a random purple shirt that a tiny logo that was silver. All she needed was her shoes. She already knew what pair of shoes she wanted to wear. Her dark pair of sandals that showed off her dark purple nails. She painted them a few days ago so the polish was fairly fresh. There weren't any chips. Just like she liked them.

As she looked down, she sighed one last time. "I don't know why I have to go. I'm old enough to drive and hang out with my friends. I'm too old to go to play with my cousins." Miranda said out loud. She always dreaded going to her grandmother's every single year since she was ten. But it wasn't all bad. She did get free food for lunch and who doesn't like free food? "That's one reason to go." She said out loud once again.

"Come on Miranda! Let's go!" Her father called. She then stood up and walked out her door to her dad's car.

The longer I stayed in here, the more I began to question how I was so small. Being the nerd I am, I estimated how tall I was. I remembered as a kid that the average egg was about two inches high so with a few complex equations that I would rather not get into, I calculated that I was about an eighth of an inch tall. Damn. I'm small.

All of the sudden, there was some very loud booms. Booms that were getting closer. My heart rate skyrocketed when I heard them continue to get closer. That's when I heard more. This was a scavenger hunt and I was caught in the middle of it all. On one hand, when my prison does get found and opened up, there's a chance that I would get discovered and possibly get help but on the other hand, since there was no money or candy inside, whoever finds my egg will just toss it away, with me in it.

Then I saw it. The shadow of a hand coming towards my prison. Then there was nothing but darkness. My egg had been abducted by this unknown person. I was then throw into a container. Since I was in a egg, it would be correct to assume that the container I was thrown into was a basket. And the way my prison landed, I could tell that whoever this giant person was, this was their first egg. And when the person picked me up, I could hear a slight sigh, almost disappointed that they felt nothing inside. Was I really that small and meaningless that a plastic egg weighs more than me?

As the clock ticked by, Miranda increasingly became more bored as she sat in the most uncomfortable chair in her grandmother's house. Watching her younger cousins play was fun to watch at first but after the first hour ticked by, it just became tedious to even acknowledge the hyper, sugared up children. And then there were her aunts and uncles that continued to try and get her to tell them something about herself but to no avail. It didn't help that every time they went near her, she could smell alcohol on their breath.

"This is a nightmare that I just can't wake up from." Miranda thought as she crossed her arms across her chest and grabbed her phone from her pocket. That's when her grandmother, who had been quiet the whole time Miranda was there, stood up from her chair which was directly across from where she was sitting. "Alright everyone! It's time for the Easter egg hunt." Everyone cheered when she said this and the children ran to the backyard with their baskets. Everyone, minus Miranda who simply ignored the proclamation that her grandmother gave and continued to text her friends who were also bored at their Easter celebrations as well. That was until her mother came and snatched her phone up.

"Remember when I said that you would play with your cousins? Since you didn't do that, you'll have to go on the egg hunt. You'll get this back when you come back from the hunt." Her mother then handed her a basket. "Now get outside." Her mother said in a hushed voice, almost a whisper, to make sure nobody heard them. Miranda let a deep sigh and grabbed the basket from her mothers hand and followed her cousins out the door.

Miranda was never the one to actually try in these. The most she's ever gotten out of one of these hunts was only fifty cents and some chocolate, when she was ten. To think, that was used be a lot money back then but now was absolutely nothing to her. She would usually just grab the first the first egg she would see and that's just what she did. She saw a bright pink egg sitting in a crevasse between two parts of the tree, far too high for any of her cousins to reach so she quickly grabbed it.

When she grabbed the pink egg, she felt the weight. "Feels a little light." Miranda whispered to herself so her family wouldn't hear her. "The only egg I get is empty." Miranda then tossed the egg into her basket and walked towards the inside of the house. She just wanted to go back inside and relax on her phone while she waited for her parents to get ready to leave. As she walked to the door, her mother looked inside her basket.

"Why didn't you get any more eggs? You only have one." Her mother said as she peeked inside her basket.

"You just said that I need to participate in this thing. Chill mom." Miranda said as she grabbed the egg and stuffed it in her pocket. "Well, I'm ready to go. You and dad?"

Miranda's mom just sighed. "I think your dad and I will stay here a little longer. You can walk home if you want. You know where we keep the spare keys?"

"Under the cat bed?" Miranda said, tilting her head a tiny bit and sticking her hand out, signaling that she wanted her phone back. Her mother nodded and handed her phone to her.

"Be careful Miranda." Her mother said as she hugged her one last time before she walked out of the house with her seemingly empty egg.

As I began to become more curious as to how I got this small, I continued to hear screams of young children, both male and female. But I did hear some older voices, what seemed like the parents cheering the kids on.

That when my prison was lifted up and with the three holes on the top of the egg, I saw a brief look at what appeared to be a teenage girl and an older woman. I didn't get a good look at either of them because one of them tipped it over, causing me to fly across the prison. I then heard the mumbling voices or what seemed like mumbling. You know, me being in a plastic prison kinda makes it hard to hear anything but I did hear one thing that stood out. The girls name. Although I didn't hear much of the rest of that sentence, I heard enough to know her name. Miranda. I think I dated a Miranda in high school but that's besides the point.

That's when my life turned upside down yet again when this "Miranda" stuffed my prison into a dark and warm place, her pocket. I knew because when she stuffed me inside her pocket, she began to walk and I could no longer see the sun anymore. And I could also feel Miranda's body heat come into my prison. That's when I felt my body start to collapse and I couldn't stand any more so I simply collapsed and went to sleep. I just couldn't help it.

As Miranda walked home with the egg in her pocket, she pulled out her in phone and continued to text her friends. There was one thing that she enjoyed the most was the sun. When she at her grandmothers, the sun was covered by grayish clouds but now they're aren't any. The sky was crystal clean with just one cloud in the far right of the sun. "God, it feels so good outside today." Miranda said with a bright smile on her beautiful face, something that her mother and father hadn't seen lately. Her bright white teeth shone in the bright sunshine that illuminated her face.

After about twenty minutes of walking from her grandmothers, she was finally home. She then pulled out her phone from her right back pocket and looked at the time. "I thought that would be a lot shorter. It's almost two!" Miranda said out loud as she reached her front door and shooed the stray cat from the bed it was sleeping on. She then lifted the cat bed and picked up the spare keys that her parents left for a few reasons, one of which was Miranda left her keys inside the house a few times. She'd done it more times than she cares to admit to her friends. She then picked the keys up, unlocked the door and went upstairs to her room.

As she stepped inside her room, she reached into her pocket and pulled her crappy Easter egg out. She then placed it on her desk and sat down on her chair. She began to spin it and wondered what was inside. Come to think of it, she hadn't even thought of opening it and seeing what was inside. "I did find it myself. Why not." Miranda said as she grabbed the egg and began to open it. She wasn't expecting much, considering how light it was, but she didn't expect to see what she saw.

When I woke up, I felt very dizzy. Almost like this Miranda girl had found me, and began to shake me awake. But that wasn't the case. I was still inside the egg but I could tell I wasn't outside anymore because of one, the smell of spring air wasn't present. In fact, the scent that I can smell was very sweet. It took me a moment to realize where I must be. I was in Miranda's room. That's when I felt my prison being lifted up one last time. Was she just going to toss me away or was she going to open it and release me from this prison. Only time would tell.

I soon got my answer when the top was opened and I got to see this Miranda for the first time. She was beautiful for her age which I presumed to be either late teens or early twenties. Her pink lipstick on her olive skin tone was perfect. I just wish that she would have at least smile when she saw me. All she did was give me a sort of terrified look. Wait....now I know why she made that face. She didn't think I was a person that was shrunk to the size of her fingernail. She thinks I'm a....