- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

The other cashiers come back. 

Rachel had just answered the phone to find no one was there. Assuming it was a wrong number she hung up and started talking to Ellen again. She and Ellen were basically best friends, When she saw a customer come in, Rachel greeted her in her usual, outgoing way. She and Ellen walked over to the register and started to take the customer's order. Rachel was all about the jokes and being expressionate, so like always when she and Ellen made a joke when talking with the customer she started stamping her feet in joy. It was just one of her things. Meanwhile Ellen was getting the customers order ready. It was basic, a toasted bagel with cream cheese. She grabbed the bagel off the shelf, sliced it, toasted it, and put it on a plate with the cream cheese. And it was done. Simple, easy, and done with. No trouble at all. The two stood off to the side and started chatting some more. 

Thomas watched as Rachel and Ellen's shoes lifted from the ground and headed straight towards his insignificant body. Rachels standard black work shoe landed not far in front of him. The impact shook the ground for Thomas and, had he been standing up, would have surely fallen down once again. She twisted her shoe at a ninety degree angle so it was pointing towards the registers. The movement was so quick Thomas barely had time to register it. Shorly afterwards her other shoe landed causing another quick tremor for Thomas. A loose string from Rachel's pants, which reached past her ankle touching the floor, was laid out before Thomas. Even the loose string was large compared to him. 

Thomas looked up and saw just two large walls of black reaching up. He was laying right between both of Rachel's legs. He didn't have much time to really take in what he was seeing as next to him Ellen's running shoes landed, creating even more tremors for Thomas. Ellen went running almost everyday, so she always wore her running shoes to work. It just made things easier. Her shoes were a bright blue color and really stood out. Like most shoes the toe section didn't reach the floor unless someone was taking a step, so Thomas had a clear view undeaneath it, showing off the large treads with lots of gaps. Thomas didn't care much for running so he never bothered to care why it was like that, he just knew he wanted to stay away from it right now.

Far up above Thomas heard a loud noise pierce the sky. It was the sound of Rachel laughing. At the same time Thomas was cast in shadow. Rolling around he saw Rachel's shoe hanging miles in the air. Thomas worked with Rachel enough to know what she was doing. He knew what was coming, and he braced himself. Within an instant Rachel's shoe came crashing down several times in rapid succession. She always stamped her feet when something was funny, but to Thomas this was anything but fun. 

The constant quakes made it impossible for Thomas to control his movement. He was at the total and complete mercy of gravity and momentum. He was being tossed this way and that along with lots of other crumbs scattered around the floor. To his horror he found he was slowly approaching the landing zone of Rachel's shoe, which was also moving around and not staying in one place. Thomas screamed as he was nearing her shoe, and with one final stamp Rachel slammed her shoe down.

Thomas didn't have any time to react as her shoe impacted the ground only a few feet in front of him. The impact sent Thomas tumbling backwards. Somehow, Thomas suffered no injuries throughout that, but he had no time to catch his breath. Laying on his back and staring up, Thomas screamed as loud as he could as he watched the sole of Ellen's shoe descending rapidly towards him. He had no time to do anything. All he could do was scream and watch as his co-worker stepped right on him. 

 

The impact send Thomas bumping into a bunch of walls with little give. It was completely dark with no source of light. And there was an overwhelming smell of rubber all around him. Thomas knew where he was. As luck would have it he landed right between the treads of Ellen's shoes, because of the large gaps in them there was plenty of room to house him. Thomas had somehow managed to survive again without any injury, although he was certainly scared out of his mind. He was tired of having little control over what happened to him, of course he really didn't have any control over that.

Light flooded Thomas' eyes as Ellen lifted her shoe and turned around. She had just gave the order to the customer. She and Rachel then stood near the registers while Thomas was left to himself at the base of the metal shelf, far below the bagel slicer. He wasn't sure what to do anymore. He had nearly gotten crushed twice within a couple of seconds by his co-workers. Twice he had almost died and neither of them even knew about it. He had no idea what to do. His only means of communication had been destoryed, and here he sat along with all the other discarded crumbs on the ground. He was nothing to these two girls. To everyone at this point. And that was when Thomas remembered there were more than those two. Thomas got another shiver down his spine as he looked over towards the drink station. 

Thomas saw two pairs of shoes come from around the corner and into the path of the bakery. Thomas traced the pair of white keds up towards his co-worker Grace. And the other pair of black keds belonged to his co-worker Taylor. Both of them were younger than Thomas, only barely twenty years of age. His girlfriend Rose was always a tad bit jealous because she thought they were pretty and were going to win over Thomas' heart, but he always denied such things. And he was telling the truth. 

Both of them walked towards Thomas at an alarming speed. Before he realized it Grace and Taylor were upon him. Grace had taken occupancy at the other register. Taylor had unforunately stepped down right next to Thomas. Being a rather light and skinny girl, Taylor didn't cause much of a tremor to him, but at this size anything was noticable. This close to the ground Thomas could take note of all the dirt and who knows what else stuck to the sides of Taylor's ked. It was a little gross, but then again Thomas was laying on a rather unclean floor surrounded by a bunch of crumbs and other assorted droppings. 

At his height he couldn't really hear what they were saying, and so he had to rely on looking around and basing things off their actions. He saw Rachel talking to Taylor, followed by Taylor reaching into the chubby hole and grabbing out a brush. It was a brush used to clean out the bagel slicer from all the crumbs. Thomas felt the same shiver down his spine as he knew what was coming. 

He watched, as best as he could, as miles above him Taylor opened up the hinge of the bagel slicer and started to brush it. Way, way above him, Thomas saw an unimaginable amount of crumbs, small, large, and gigantic, fall from the slicer. Right towards him. Thomas picked himself up faster than he ever had in his life and ran. He didn't know where he was running to, but anything was better than here. He knew it was too late though. He simply wouldn't be able to run fast enough at this size. And sure enough, he was right. 

Crumbs started to rain from the sky all around Thomas. Some of the smaller ones hit Thomas on the head and, despite their size and material, still hurt him quite a bit. It was the larger ones that really screwed over Thomas. Seasme seeds the size of cars bounced around on the floor all around him. Small bits of chocolate chips coated the floor. Plain crumbs were bouncing off of everything making it impossible to guess where to run to. And enormous cinnamon crumbs all stuck together from the stickyness impacted the ground and broke apart. One of which tripped Thomas up and sent him spiraling to the ground once more. 

Staring up Thomas watched as the endless amount of crumbs kept falling. After tripping Thomas had no chance of getting back up as the crumbs kept pelting him over and over. He had to watch as he slowly got covered in them. All the while he was non-stop screaming at anyone, any of his co-workers, but really at nobody, to get them to stop. But the crumbs kept falling all around the floor with loud impacts, small little tremors, and still more crumbs landing on and around Thomas. 

And almost as quickly as it had started, it was over. The aftermath looked worse than a natural disaster. Crumbs were everywhere. There was very little floor left visible. Although he was getting buried during the assault, most of the crumbs had fallen off Thomas, except for one rather large and pesky seasme seed. It was sitting right on Thomas, and was pinning his body and arms to the ground. That wasn't what worried Thomas though. Usually when he or others cleaned the bagel slicer like this, they dumped the crumbs right into the trash can. There was only one time when they dumped it right on the floor, and that was what scared Thomas more than anything at the moment. Thomas felt the faint quakes as Taylor walked away, leaving him stranded under the seasme seed. 

 

Under the instruction of Rachel, Taylor had grabbed the brush and dumped all of the crumbs from the bagel slicer and shelf onto the floor. She then went to the back to grab a broom and dustpan. 

Chapter End Notes:

End of Chapter 3