- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

Taylor sweeps the bakery floor.

Thomas didn't know how long he had been laying on the ground, trapped beneath the sesame seed. In reality it had been all of one second, but it felt like six months. He knew what was coming, he had seen it just happen. Taylor had just swept all of the crumbs from the bagel slicer onto the ground. Onto Thomas. And then she left. Thomas didn't need to hear what they were saying to know where she was going. Taylor was getting a broom. She was going to sweep up the floor, sweep up the crumbs. Sweep up Thomas. 


Thomas laid underneath the sesame seed, and contemplated what had happened to him today. Not even ten minutes ago he was talking with Rachel, the girl who now towered above him, and nearly stepped on and killed him already. How fast had things changed. Was this the rest of his life? Being the size of a crumb? Was this all Thomas was anymore? All these thoughts and more ran through his head, as up above Rachel, Ellen, and Grace all did their job, nonethewiser. 


The longer Thomas laid under the seed, the more it dawned on him how he was going to die. Taylor was going to sweep the floor, and him along with it. Thomas was going to be swept into a dustpan, and tossed away like a simple piece of trash. That's all he was, wasn't he? Trash. Meant to be thrown away, discarded, eliminated, dumped. If he survived the fall into the trash can, he would soon perish beneath the massive amounts of other trash acumlated by workers here. And even then, if he survived all of that, what was his ultimate end point? Someone would change the trash, and Thomas along with. Brought to the back, tossed in the dumpster. Taken to the dump to live whatever time he has left with his fellow pieces of trash. 


No, Thomas would not have that. Now he watched up above as the three girls moved around. He hoped more than anything they would step on him. Crush him. End his life before he became the trash that he was destined to be. But it didn't come. All Thomas saw was the faces of his co-workers, miles above his insignificant plight, going about their day with concerns of great important---to them. They did not have to worry about being crushed, or thrown into a trash can. Just work issues, and school exams. Thomas missed that life. Thomas missed ten minutes ago. 


Thomas realized why his co-workers weren't stepping on him. He looked around and remembered he was in a vast field of various crumbs and debris. Thomas has seen this before. It looked big when standing at full height. At his size, it was absouletly massive. And he was nothing more than a speck, hidden undearneath another speck in this massive pile. Multiple times Thomas saw Rachel, Ellen, or Grace glance down in his general location. He couldn't help it, he got a little excited. But his arms were trapped, his body was stuck, and he was nothing. They were simply trying not to step on the pile of crumbs, the one thing Thomas wanted to end this all before he became trash. But that was not to be.


It had only been thirty seconds since Taylor had left to get a broom. 


Thomas looked to his side, and he saw the familar black keds coming back towards him. Taylor had returned, and Thomas saw her holding the thing that would be the death of him--a broom. Taylor approached him with overwhelming speed. Thomas had zero time to react. But in that timeless zone, he wished beyond belief that Taylor would this. Unfortunately, Thomas could only watch as her giant ked shoe soared overhead of him and the pile of crumbs. Thomas could make out various pieces of dirt and crumbs and whatever stuck to the sole of her shoe. She probably didn't even know. Is that really what Thomas wanted? To be like those crumbs? Has his life degraded so much that that is the optimal scenerio? Thomas really didn't want to be dumped in the trash.


Taylor reached the far side of the bakery and started to sweep the floor. She brushed pretty strongly, more so flicking all of the crumbs towards the other end. It simply worked better than slowly sweeping. It would take much longer, and wouldn't be as effective. Just add a touch of force, and the crumbs go to where they need to be in the end. It's not like it's hurting anyone doing it that way.


Thomas watched Taylor at the other end of the bakery. She seemed so far away now. It reality she was about three or four steps, but to Thomas, it seemed like forever. Thomas was afraid now. Terrfied. And yet, he started to laugh. He thought of the predicament he was in. Here he was, an adult, a good job, a great girlfriend, everything going well. And now he was stuck underneath a fucking sesame seed. A fucking sesame seed. It was hilarious. The whole scenario was so absurd, so unbelievably ridiculous, that Thomas couldn't help but laugh. This was just some crazy dream, wasn't it? Thomas would wake up once he got swept up, and then go see his girlfriend. Probably tell her about it and have a nice laugh, then get some lunch. Hahaha, yeah, just a crazy dream. This kind of thing doesn't happen in real life. Thomas watched with an unexpected amount of glee as Taylor forcably swept crumbs towards his miniscule body. That was when it happened.


A rouge crumb from what down where Taylor was went hurtling towards Thomas and the sesame seed. It was bouncing like crazy, but I'm sure up above it wasn't even noticable. The crumb landed on Thomas' exposed legs pretty hard before continuing it's bounce further back. It hurt like absolute hell, but his legs didn't seem broken or anything. Nothing sprained, no issues. Just a lot of pain......Except, if this was a dream, it shouldn't hurt so much...Or the pain should have woken Thomas up. But here he was. Still underneath a sesame seed. Legs in a lot of pain, but slowly numbing away. Still staring down at the impending broom shooting crumbs his way at a pace Thomas didn't think possible. There was one reason, one explination for why this was happening still. This wasn't a dream. Thomas really was, for lack of a better word, screwed.


Taylor was getting ever so closer to Thomas, and more and more crumbs were sent flying past him as the pile grew larger. Thomas didn't have any glee anymore. He now wore a face of complete and utter horror, and could do nothing but scream as more crumbs were sent shooting towards him. Towards the only thing keeping him safe, and the only thing killing him: the sesame seed. 


Thomas saw Taylor plant the broom at the base of the crumb pile. He was huge to him, but it wouldn't even take a second for that broom to go hurtling into him. Thomas didn't even think about the impact of the broom. Those straws could be deadly. Thomas didn't have much time to think about this, as Taylor brushed the broom into the giant pile of crumbs from the bagel slicer, and sent them flying towards the end of the bakery section.


Thomas blinked and the next thing he knew he was being pushed violently by the straws of the broom, along with thousands of other crumbs, bigger and smaller than him. When the broom straws let go of all the crumbs, Thomas felt himself going faster than he ever felt in his life. Not even cars went this fast. He couldn't even open his eyes it was so fast. Thomas felt pain all over his body. He was rolling and bouncing and spinning and everything else. Repeatedly hitting the hard floor on the bakery, going along with his crumb friends, towards the end. He was in a lot of pain, but again, nothing was broken. There was only pain. Why was that happening? Under any normal circumstance, Thomas would be dead. But Thomas himself had already answered why...this was no ordinary circumstance. People don't normal survive crashes like that, but neither do people shrink. That's just how it was.


When everything settled down, and Thomas felt himself no longer moving, he still hesitated to open his eyes. But nevertheless, he did. Thomas was now laying belly down in a pile of crumbs and other debris. Once again, there was something laying on him, keeping him trapped and pressed into the ground. That was when Thomas noticed it. Sitting right in front of him, as if staring him right in the eye, taunting him, was a dustpan. A huge, giant, black dustpan. And inside Thomas could see gross, disgusting marks left from previous sweeps. That would be Thomas soon. 


All the while, Thomas is being pelted with more crumbs as Taylor continues to sweep the floor. It isn't long before this finishes, but it's far from over. Before Thomas can relax from the pelting crumbs, the broom appears again and begins sweeping the surround crumbs into the pile of debris Thomas is in. Unfortunately for Thomas, he wound up near the center of the pile, and so there's no need to brush where he is...yet. 


Thomas takes the chance to look up, miles up. He sees the face of Taylor looking down, seemingly right at him. But Thomas knew that wasn't the chance. She wasn't looking at him, she was looking at trash that needed to be swept up and tossed. In a way, then, she was looking at Thomas. He looked into her eyes. She was innocent looking. Thomas always thought she was cute, but he had a girlfriend, and he would never, ever think about doing something with someone else. Now he just wanted to live.


Taylor had just finished sweeping the bakery, and moved the crumbs into a nice, neat pile. With the dustpan already near, she prepared to sweep them into the trash. 


Thomas looked back at the dustpan. He saw Taylor put her giant ked onto the dustpan for support. She always did this. He thought it was pretty cute, now it meant the end for him. Thomas screamed one last time as Taylor used the broom push all of the debris towards the dustpan. She swept up near the pan again to catch any stray crumbs before she lifted it up, and tilted it over, dumping all of it's contents into the nearly empty trash can. 

Chapter End Notes:

End of Chapter 4