- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

Thomas gets stuck.

Christine had just returned to the bakery after getting something from the back. She took a few steps in before stopping, as Ellen was still mopping the floor. Once she was finished, Christine continued on her way to the registers to help a few customers. She had a habit of putting her foot toe down, standing the sole up vertically, sometimes even moving it about. That's what she was doing now, but where was Thomas? 

As it turns out, luck was Thomas' side just this once. As the massive shoe of Christine's descended upon his minuscule form, Thomas had managed to wind up in between the small treads of her sperrys. As she didn't work on the line, the treads of Christine's shoes were relatively clean, and thus, Thomas found he was not stuck to her shoe as he was before. Thankful though he was, it was a tad demoralizing to be reminded of how insignificant he was that a tread as small as this one could fit him easily. He was encased in darkness for some time before light was returned to him as the massive shoe lift from the ground and departed from him. Thomas couldn't believe it. He wasn't stuck to her shoe. He never thought he would ever have a reason to be happy about that, but there's a first for everything. 

This was short lived though, as soon after Christine had come from the back, another coworker of his was also approaching him. A titanic white ked slammed down several feet to the right of Thomas, shaking his world, and making him slightly tumble. Looking upwards to see the source of disturbance, Thomas was greeted only to the sight of  the other shoe coming down right at his tiny being. The white keds actually belonged to his coworker Grace, who had just returned from the helping a customer take something to their table. She then picked up some dirty trays in the bakery, and went to the back to hand them off to the dishwasher.

Thomas was in a lot of pain. The keds Grace was wearing didn't have very many distinguishable treads, rather just being a flat sole. Thomas, therefore, was taking in the full brunt of her weight on his mini form. Of course, he wasn't actually hurt, but quite literally carrying her entire weight on his shoulders. And every other part of his body. His face wasn't being pressed into the dirty tile floor this time, but for better or worse, was now being pressed into the dirty sole of Grace's shoe. The overwhelming taste of rubber invaded his mouth and nostrils, but there was nothing he could do about it. Then the familiar sense of weightlessness took over, as Grace took her first step towards the back.

Although he avoided this fate with Christine, Thomas was once again stuck to the sole of his coworkers shoe. Though a part of that might have been the involuntary gripping his hands did since he was under a lot of pressure at the moment. He could tell, though, that he was nowhere near as stuck to her shoe as he had been in the past. The weightless ended once Grace had reached the top of her step, then the rushing wind occurred as Thomas and the shoe started approaching the ground, slamming into ir with the weight of his coworker. Once she took her other step, Thomas felt the pressure on him increase, as the weight wasn't being distributed as before, now laying solely on Thomas. Step after step this occurred, each time Thomas feeling more and more pressure as it got harder to bear. Meanwhile, he also felt himself easily detaching from her shoe with each step. At this pace, he would be flung off any second now.

And that's exactly what happened. During one of Grace's many steps, a tiny speck of dirt was thrown off her shoe towards the floor. Of course, she would never notice this, but regardless, it happened. Thomas was sent careening off Grace's shoe and was fast approaching the ground. He started to bounce along the ground similar to when he was being brushed by the broom, which felt like forever ago to him. As then, his eyes were closed, so he had no idea what he was approaching. When he finally stopped moving, Thomas was laying on his back, staring upwards, arms out and palms down. It was a wild ride, but he was glad it was over. Opening his eyes, he saw the giant Grace standing at the dishwasher station setting down the trays. Once she was finished, she turned back and started heading right for Thomas again. Wanted to get out of the way, as best as he could anyway, Thomas went to stand up, but found he was unable to move at all.

As it turns out, when Thomas was bouncing along the ground, the only reason he stopped was because something else had made him. One of the sticker day dots used here to make sure food is not expired had been laying on the ground, sticky side up. Of course, that's exactly what Thomas landed on. And now he found himself completely and totally stuck, unable to move any body part at all. Before, he could at least move his arms, or crane his neck. Thomas, now, was nothing more than a speck of dirt stuck to a much larger, albeit still small, sticker. And Grace was heading right for him. 

Grace was quickly heading towards the small sticker on the ground while Thomas could literally do nothing but watch. He watched as the the sole of the ked he was stuck on just a few seconds ago, approached him once more. Only now things were different. The giant shoe of Grace's slammed down, partially on the sticker, leaving about one third of it exposed, the rest obviously sticking to her sole. Looking at her phone, she was completely unaware that this object was now stuck to her shoe, and continued on back to the bakery. 

While fortunate enough to not be on part of the sticker now beneath Grace's shoe, Thomas was still forced to go along for the ride as she walked back to the bakery. Although not his go-to choice for fun activities, the trip back was nowhere near as bad now, as he wasn't being forced and pressed into the floor, or someone's shoe. In a way, it was kind of calming and fun. But he'd rather be having a boring day than do this, but in more ways than one he was stuck with this. 

Once Grace returned, she got on a register and started to help the customers. She set her foot up, balancing on her toes, tilting Thomas' world upside down, and causing all the blood to rush to his head. He was tempted to call it a little unpleasant, but after everything else he had endured in the past few hours, this was nothing. In fact, Thomas, if even for the briefest of seconds, thought it was getting just a tad boring. Well luckily for Thomas, it was going to pick up again for him, whether he liked it or not. 

Grace set her foot down leveling Thomas out as Christine came up next to her to check if she needed any bagels or pastries to get the customer. As she did, the stepped just a tad too close to Grace and set her shoe down right on top of the exposed part of the sticker stuck to her shoe. Thomas was looking up at the ceiling when it was replaced by the sole of Christine's sperry aiming right at him. It easily covered him and squished him even more into the sticker, removing any chance he ever had of getting taken off of it. Christine stepped off, but took nothing with her. Although sticky, the majority of the sticker was still with Grace's shoe, so it stayed with her. She did, however, leave several specks of dirt from her own shoe on the sticker. Whereas Thomas was a lone, black speck on the exposed part before, he was now just one tiny speck out of a dozen, some even larger than him. He couldn't see them from his angle, but if he could, he probably would have felt even smaller than he really was. 

Noticing her receipt machine was out of paper, Grace walked over towards the cafe side of the registers, located right next to the line, to get some more paper. As she was bending down to grab a roll from under the counter, she saw some rouge sticker stuck to her shoe. Thomas was going for another ride as Grace started walking once more. It was hard for him  to judge where they were in the store, as his view was limited to straight up, and she simply moved too fast for him to really get a good look. After several steps, things came to a stop and Thomas was able to get some bearings. From what he could tell, he was at the other registers, a thought confirmed when he saw Grace start to crouch down. That's when it happened. He saw Grace look in his direction. She had seen the sticker, if only he could move he could signal to her, not knowing that he wasn't even the largest thing on the sticker. And even if he was, it wouldn't matter. 

Thomas' view changed to a wall of tan flesh as Grace's thumb pressed down on his position to rip the sticker off her shoe. Thomas felt completely insignificant as her thumb itself was massive, and covered his entire world in pressurized darkness, pushing him even harder onto the sticker. This was short-lived though, as Grace took no time at all discarding the sticker by tossing it to the floor. She didn't even take a second to look at it, but really, why would she? It was nothing but trash. She got the receipt paper roll she needed and headed back to the bakery. The sticker she had just tossed was quickly fluttering towards the ground, before landing right in the middle of the path, sticky side up.

Not that long ago, at somewhere else in the world, Rose was getting tired of waiting for Thomas. They had planned to meet maybe ten minutes ago, but she received no word that he would be late, or any word at all. A little mad, she decided to call him, but found his phone wasn't working. That explained the lack of any notice, but where was he? Not wanting to just wait and see if he came, Rose called his mom and asked if she knew anything about what as going on, as she knew they were close. As it turns out, she knew Thomas was going to head to his work first. Curious and a little worried, she got her stuff ready and headed to where Thomas worked, to see if anyone there had seen him.

Linda had stepped off the line to get some things they needed, but she was heading back now. Walking a quicker pace, she had no way of knowing that she stepped on a sticker that was now stuck to her shoe as she walked back to the line. Laying, still stuck, Thomas could only watch as his coworker Linda approached him. Remember not that long ago when he was stuck to her shoe with the avocado, the last place Thomas wanted to be right now was under her shoe again. Well, he partially got his wish. As Linda stepped down on the sticker, a majority of it was placed under her shoe, but a small sliver was left exposed, the small sliver Thomas was on. He was, however, right next to the side of her shoe, and being this close, he could see just how truly small he was.

Thomas was basically right next to Linda's shoe, if he could move his arm, he could touch it. But true to what he wanted, he wasn't under it. Looking up, he only saw a giant wall of black that was her shoe lifting high into the way on his left. It eventually meshed into another black which was her pants. Thomas was unable to see anything else at his place. Although he couldn't really see it, Thomas was positioned right next to one of her treads. He was large enough to fit him along with a whole host of other assorted bits of food and crumbs, which it did, of course. Thomas felt the same movements of walking he had felt many times before, only much more rapid as Linda moved about much more while working. Again, he was thankful he didn't have to endure any more time under her shoe.

Of course, things don't go well for Thomas, and things change. Slowly and unnoticeable at first, the sticker stuck on Linda's shoe was getting further and further pushed to being completely covered by her shoe. Her constant moving had been pushing the sticker further in. While Thomas didn't noticed this at first due to the constant moving already happening to him, once the black wall on his left started getting closer he become more aware of what was happening. Little by little Thomas' view was replaced by the underside of Linda's shoe, until it covered him totally, and the sticker was now completely underneath her shoe. 

Thomas now found himself still stuck, and within the tread of Linda's shoe. With the giant sticker blocking out most of the openings, it was very dark, but Thomas didn't need light, nor did he want it with where he knew he was. Being pressed up against Thomas was more bits of food that had been wedged in Linda's tread. Based on the stiffness of it, and the fact that is smelled like spoiled food, Thomas assumed this wasn't knew, and this junk had been stuck in her shoe for some time. He felt the urge to puke once more. The faint scent of avocado hung in the air for Thomas, but it did nothing for him

All the while, Linda goes about her work unknowing of the torture going on beneath or shoe, or on a larger scale, a simple sticker stuck to her shoe. She was simply focusing on her work. Each step she took pushed Thomas into the food bits stuck in her tread, sometimes even forcing some of it to enter into his mouth as he winched in pain. At one point Linda had even stepped on something, during which Thomas' entire body was pushed into and submerged into the food particles. For a few seconds to Linda, but what felt like several minutes to Thomas, he was inside of days old food, forced to smell it and taste it, until he was finally taken out of it when the sticker was no longer being pushed up as much. Of course, several bits of it stuck to the sticker around him, and to him as well. 

Thomas wondered how long with would go on. Possibly forever? Maybe this was his life now? He knew that Linda would be the first one to get off and go home. What if she didn't noticed the sticker before that, and she left for home, taking Thomas with him? It was a Friday, and Thomas knew she didn't work on the weekends. Would be be stuck to her shoe for two days? Forced to look at and smell this awful food? It scared Thomas even thinking about that. He just wanted to be with Rose and be a normal height. He was so concerned with what has happening now, he didn't think much about the next days. What would happen to him? Would things ever return to normal?

Thirty minutes had passed.

Linda had just been told she could leave a little early as it wasn't that busy. She then went to get her things from the back and clocked out. She then headed to take the exit located closer to the line, as that was where her car was. She said her goodbyes to the other people on the line and went to head out the door. She stopped though. She had almost forgotten, there was something on her shoe that was annoying her slightly. She lifted it up and noticed a really gross sticker. She'd probably been stepping on it for a while. She quickly ripped it off and tossed it on the ground, then left to head home.

After being so sensory deprived for thirty some minutes, Thomas wasn't even able to tell that Linda had started walking normally again to get her things in the back. Everything to him at the moment was just a smelly, awful black. That was his life, and he was starting to accept that would be his life forever now. Not long after he thought this, his world change as he felt himself go flying upwards, though still dark, he couldn't see anything. He was bathed in light though, now almost blinding as it had been forever since he had seen light. Before he could even adjust his eyes, he and the sticker started their decent towards the messy ground, landing peacefully on the floor. Opening his eyes once they were adjusted, Thomas saw the last thing he wanted to see in this predicament.

Scraps of food, small portion bags that used to hold food, and giant crumbs all littered the floor, as well as one very dirty sticker that was just stuck to someone's shoe. And at the far end, heading right for Thomas, was Vicky, holding a broom. Thomas struggled as hard as he could to get off the sticker, but no matter what he did, it was futile. He was stuck, and that as the end of that. Vicky's giant shoe crashed down next to the sticker as she readied the broom and began to sweep the line. 

Thomas was thrown forward and rolled around the ground before he ended up facing skyward right behind Marie. Without even paying attention, she took a step back and landing directly onto the very dirty sticker, covering Thomas in more dirt and grime that was just previously on her shoe, before stepping off to get something else. At this point the sticker was so dirty that it had lost most of it's stickiness. Except for what was stuck already to it, that was never coming off. 

Vicky continued her sweep sending some discarded sticker further ahead to the waiting dustpan. She then swept some more and launched part of a tomato slice which just so happened to land on the same sticker. A big piece of chicken had landed on the floor, she made sure to sweep that up as well. A couple of used portion bags laid on the floor as well, she got those as well as the vast amount of crumbs on the floor. She swept them all into a neat little pile in front of the dustpan, and got ready to sweep it all in there.

Although his body wasn't really moving, he still felt like he was and felt all the force associated with the sticker moving. It was still a terrible feeling overall. To add even more insult a giant red, slimy object landed on top of it, covering him in it's juices. Though it didn't really taste bad, he had to admit. He didn't have much time to enjoy it, however, as the broom swept him and the sticker once more, sending him colliding into a large circular pile of trash and other assorted bits of food. An as the sticker landed on it's side once more, Thomas was greeted to a familiar sight. He was once again staring into the depths of a disgusting dustpan, one which would be the end of him. 

Thomas struggled with everything he had, but it was useless. He was hopelessly stuck. Vicky's giant shoe crashed down, and Thomas knew his time was over. He started pleaded, with no one in particular. Anyone who would listen, he supposed. He was pleaded to not have this happen. For something to occur. He didn't not want to end up in the trash for the second time in a day. Once was already bad, but twice? Thomas did the only thing he could do, and pleaded, as Vicky brushed through the pile into the dustpan. 

Almost everything in the pile had ended up inside the dustpan, except for a few small crumbs, and one sticker which had avoided it and went off to the side. Thomas was full of glee. His pleading worked! He wasn't in the dustpan! He started laughing and crying with pure joy. But he forgot something very important. While Thomas himself was still just an insignificant crumb, he was stuck to something much larger, and much more visible. As such, he should not have been as shocked when Vicky maneuvered the broom to pushed the sticker  in front of the dustpan, and quickly swept the sticker and the tiny Thomas on it into it along with all the other garbage. She then quickly lifted it up, and dropped all of its contents into the nearest trash can, before getting back to work. 

Chapter End Notes:

End of Chapter 9.