- Text Size +
Readers, you’re probably wondering how I even got out of that mess inside the big mess. Getting past the terror was the first step. Because when you’re not only the size of a small doll and caged up, it’s sheer terror. That’s exactly what I felt when I first woke up. Terror. It was like a bad horror movie, except worse. I wasn’t the incredible shrinking man that had to run from a cat and a spider. Thank god there were no spiders. But I had something worse. I had a normal-sized person that was dead-set on keeping me for herself. There was no needle large enough to take down a monster that big.

When I woke up, it was like mornings when you set an alarm that will literally scare you awake. I yelped as I woke up and as soon as that large object left where I was, I tried to get up and banged my head onto something. With an instant headache coming over me, I fell over and that’s when I first saw and noticed the bars. They went up, but not far, leading to a metal ceiling of sorts. Not high enough for me to even stand inside this cage.

In the end, it was a relief, because I realized that I was in a small animal cage. The relief came from the fact that I was far too big for the cage. Meaning, she hadn’t made me even smaller like the last time she got angry with me. That was a fear, of course. It always had been since the first time it happened. I was less scared of her hurting me than me becoming even smaller and even easier for her to control.

“You’re finally awake. The two of us need to have a little chat.”

Understanding my situation was cut off by her loud voice coming into the cage. I hadn’t even realized or paid attention to where that object that had jabbed me went. Through the bars, I could see her sitting on what looked like a computer desk chair. All I could really see was above her waist, though. The more I looked, the more I saw that this cage was actually put on a desk. Not that I cared. Not with the returning fear of the conversation that happened before, and the fact that I had blacked out.

tap tap “Come over to the bars so I can see you”

The taps of a pen in her hand hitting the table made my stomach turn. You know that feeling when you now you’re in deep trouble and your mother sits you down and makes you talk about it, and about your punishment? Well, that’s what I felt, except the “mother” in this situation was several times bigger than me and I had no way of hiding in the bathroom with an “I have to go really bad” excuse to prolong it. That, and most of the time, you don’t worry about your mother hurting you as punishment.


TAP TAP “Come over to the bars. Now”.

The lack of patience tied with the louder tapping made me move quick and fast. I was already in trouble. There was no need to make it even worse. I practically sprinted over, knelt down to not bash my head again, and grabbed onto the bars, looking like a prisoner looking out at a visitor to their cell. Her eyes met mine and she just frowned in my general direction. Oh, she was pissed and I knew it. It sent chills through my spine and all the way down my legs. Even more so when she moved and her face came closer to the cage I was in.

“I’ve had some time to think about what you said. What you called me”

Oh, no. Not this conversation. It’s one of those things you wanted to pretend it didn’t happen and have it go away from the history of forever. Her eyes were very dead-set and serious, though. She wasn’t emotional or crying anymore. No, her eyes were focused on me, and the tone of her voice wreaked of practice, script. She had clearly been preparing for this conversation since I passed out. Her voice was too monotone to be speaking this for the first time.

“I did something to you. An accident, but I did it. I did something I didn’t want to do to you like that. But, you did something to me. Something that wasn’t very nice. Something that also opened my eyes.”

TAP TAP

As the tapping continued, the suspense of this conversation wasn’t getting any easier. I knew this conversation style. I’d seen it so many times. She was telling me what had happened. And, next, she would get to what she was going to do about it. And that frightened me. When you’re frustrated with someone, you can’t just do anything you want to them. But, me? I was the size of a doll and she could very well do anything she so pleased with me, or to me. It even makes me shake a little as I am writing this to you.

“I’ve been too lenient with you, I guess. Gave you too much freedom as you adjust to your life with me. I’m not crazy, you know. And I’m going to show you that I’m not. Because I’m not going to do something drastic to you, but we are going to set ground rules. Rules that you are going to follow.”

Is there a way to feel relieved and not so at the same time? Because that’s what I felt. I was relieved she wasn’t about to grab me and throw me across the room, or make me even smaller than I was. But, at the same time, setting ground rules would surely make my life even harder, as well as my ongoing hopes to getting out of this mess once the crazy side of her came back.

“You shook my trust, and that must be earned back. So, from now on, if you’re not with me, you’re going to be in this cage.”

Okay, so the first rule wasn’t too extreme. Anytime she’s sleeping or whatever, I go in the cage. At least that’s better than being tied up on her shoe or something, right? At least she’s using her logic with this. I’d hate to see a split-second emotional decision. Then again, I’m in a cage far too small for me. I can’t even stand up in it. That’s not exactly the brightest position. I could probably move it on my own if I wanted to.

“Two, you do what I say, when I say, how I say. Everything I do is in our best interest. You don’t talk back to me, or not do something I say. Until you earn my trust, you follow my directions, got it?”

She clearly didn’t trust me anymore. After all, how can you trust someone that doesn’t trust you? I never really trusted her, but now she knew I didn’t. Calling her a crazy bitch will do that. That means that escape won’t be happening anytime soon. Not until I have to work to gain her trust back. At least, maybe that’s what she wanted me to think.

“And three, there will be punishments if you don’t follow these rules. I chose not to do anything when you passed out on me. When you called me….that….name. If you do it again, there WILL be consequences. You don’t want to see my bad side, little one. If you push me, you’ll be sorry”

And that was the point where my fear returned. Punishments? I didn’t even dare ask her what that would entail. Further shrinking? Or maybe something else? Would she do what she did in the bath intentionally if I didn’t obey? Or would she just leave me in the cage all day or put me somewhere much less pleasant? I didn’t want to know, because I knew that she could do anything she wanted to me, and no one would ever know. I could wake up with less limbs. That thought makes me shudder even now.

Then she came even closer, so that her eyes were almost all I could see.

“Do you understand, little one? Do you understand why I have to do this? Why you made me cage you like this? Do. You. Understand?”

Having her face closer was even scarier. I just nodded my head in agreement and her face backed off. My entire body was shaking. I was a prisoner before, but now she was starting to treat me like one.

I was hoping that was the end of it. That she would leave me alone or something. But that wasn’t the case. Her hand went above me and grabbed the top of the cage. I flipped and rolled around as the cage went through the air. By the time I grabbed onto a bar and looked outside, I could see that she was walking me somewhere. But I was so dizzy that by the time we stopped, I still didn’t know where.

In fact, before I could even look, the door of the cage opened and she swiftly grabbed me out and brought me up to her face, still with that stern look on her face.

“Now, then” she said as she gave a small smile. “Let’s see how well you listened to the rules”