- Text Size +

“Come on babe, he’s going to be home any minute. I have to get out of here”, Tom pleaded with the blonde bombshell straddling him and refusing to let go.

 

“Good!” Paula replied, maybe that will give you the nudge you need to kick his ass and finally get us out from his shadow.

 

“Yeah”, Tom rolled his eyes, “I’ll just beat the shit out of my boss and then casually stroll out of mansion, past his guards, with his wife on my arm and what? Hop into one of his cars and we can just drive away into the sunset?” he gently but firmly lifted her and flipped so that he was on top, “You know as well as I do that even if I wasn’t killed on the spot we’d be spending the rest of our lives running”.

 

Paula pouted as she blew a lock of her hair out of her face and replied, “I know, I know. But this is getting old. I can’t stand him. When we planned this you said he’d be gone in one, maybe two years tops and it’s been five years now. He’s not going anywhere without a bit of help”.

 

Tom started to say something but before he could he heard the front door open and close and he knew he had to get out fast. He grabbed his clothes, and like a character from every movie about cheating spouses, climbed out the window naked with them in front of his privates. 

 

The next few weeks were pretty uneventful for Tom. He went about his daily activities, doing whatever the boss asked him to do, waiting for the next time the old bastard would leave town so he could be with his lover again. It turned out to be a lot longer than usual, nearly six months. During this time he started seeing less and less or Paula with her husband, which was odd because he normally loved to show her off. When a week went by with no sign of her, Tom casually asked one of the big man’s personal guards what was going on. The guard looked at him with a smirk, like he was in on a joke that Tom wasn’t and just said, “Kitten had to be de-clawed”, which didn't sit well with him at all. 

He stayed up all night wondering what that had meant. Was Paula in danger? Did the boss know? And if he did, how much? Was he in danger too? When morning finally came, Tom decided that he would find out what was going on no matter the consequences.

 

He waited outside the boss’s home until dinner time when he knew he always left to go to his favorite restaurant, without his wife which was very uncommon and made him even more nervous. 

When the coast was clear he snuck in through the back and climbed in through Paula’s window. The room was empty. Not just a few things missing here and there, but completely, wall to wall bare. And even worse, there were spots scattered on the floor that had clearly been cleaned with bleach. Tom know from experience that there was one very likely reason for this and he panicked. 

He scrambled out of the room and into the hallway, still trying to be stealthy but in his frazzled state unsure just how successful he was at it. 

He checked all the rooms he knew Paula to frequent and they were all either empty as well or had been redecorated in a way that she never would have approved of. 

Frantically, he continued his search until he got to a room he didn’t want to search but knew he had to - the boss’s. 

 

He slowly opened the door into this room he’d only been in one time before, and then only for a minute. As he stepped in he noticed how dark it was. No light came in through the windows, not even a tiny sliver. It was like this guy didn’t want to see the sun. For a moment he considered the possibility of him being a vampire but laughed that off as too silly when suddenly he heard a small, barely audible voice calling his name. 

 

“Tom!” it seemed to be yelling but was muffled somehow. And it sounded familiar, but not at the same time. Almost like Paula but way too high pitched to be her. He paused and listened some more.

 

“Tom!” it called out again, this time sounding more desperate, “I’m down here! Behind the bed” 

 

This time it sounded a lot more like Paula, but still too high. But now he knew where it was coming from so he slid the bed a little where he saw a pet carrier. When he bent down it started shaking and he could hear crying coming from inside. Almost like a child’s. He quickly picked it up, placed it on the mattress, and opened it. 

Nothing happened for a few seconds but then a small animal that looked like a cat came out. He was about to bend over and look inside to see where the voice had come from when the ‘cat’ suddenly stood up, shouted, “TOM! We have to get out of here! He’s lost his mind” and wrapped its arms around him.