- Text Size +

Two to Get Ready

After getting Steven and Blaine help load the bags into the van, Sam called Steven over.

“This is what they call a Dead Man’s switch, should you release the trigger, it will activate the detonator. Do you understand?” Sam asked, showing the smaller man the hand held device.

Steven nodded, head movement jerky and erratic.

“Okay, give me your left hand,” Sam instructed, taking it when Steven extended his arm. Putting the pressure control device into his hand, Sam chuckled when the red light at the top of the handle started to glow. “We are now live,” he said, clapping the other man on the shoulder. “Whatever you do, don’t let go of that switch,” he chuckled.

“Oh my god,” whispered Steven, hand shaking uncontrollably, seemingly fixated on the switch.

Sam chuckled, motioning George to the side.

Leaning in close and whispering so as only George could hear, Sam said, “Do one more sweep of the premises and see if you can find that fucktard Cameron.”

George nodded.

“We are almost through the worst of it and I do apologize for the inconvenience, but I’m going to need two more volunteers,” Sam said, walking through the gathering of people lying on the floor.

Elayne rose to her feet, smoothing her skirt before raising her trembling hand slowly, “I’ll go,” she offered timidly, sucking her lower lip into her mouth and looking at him from under long lashes.

Sam nodded slowly, “Alright Elayne,” he said, moving closer to the woman and putting a hand on her shoulder, “That’s very brave.”

She nodded meekly.

Turning back toward where the majority of others lay, “I need one more, anyone else?” he asked.

A slight woman, barely five feet tall, hair silvery white, maybe in her late fifties, early sixties stood up and looked at Sam. “If it’ll mean these others can go free, I’ll do it,” she said.

Sam approached her, nodding slowly, “And your name madam?” he inquired.

“Mabel, but everyone just calls me May,” she answered.

“Like Peter Parker’s aunt,” Sam said, chuckling softly.

May shook her head not understanding the reference.

“Spiderman,” informed Sam.

May nodded, “I’m not much for those kinds of movies,” she said, making a sour face.

“I’ll go,” said a man from the ground behind Sam, “Let the ladies stay.”

Sam turned slowly, nodding, “Chivalry is not dead after all, but I have what I need,” he advised.

The man was about to say something else, but Sam raised his hand and the protest died on the man’s lips.

George returned, walking toward Sam and shrugging his shoulders while shaking his head. “Nothing,” he said.

Sam also shook his head, how the fuck does someone up and vanish? Incomprehensible. Walking over the duffle bag on the counter that had held the plastique, Sam pulled out two black cloth bags.

“My apologies ladies, but if you would be so kind,” he said, walking first to the older woman and handing her a bag.

“Over my head?” May asked, taking the bag from Sam and examining it.

Sam nodded. May frowned but put the bag on. “Hands out,” he said. May put her hands forward and he removed a zip tie from a pocket on his pant leg and secured her hands.

Walking to Elayne, he extended the second bag to her. She took it and repeated the process, then he tied her hands with the plastic fastener.

“I’m scared,” she murmured, a quaver in her voice, tremor in her slender body.

“Everything’s going to be alright,” he reassured, placing a comforting hand on her shoulder, “I’ll make sure you don’t get hurt.”

“What about the bomb?” Gabe inquired, eyes opened wide and staring at the parcel on the bank counter.

Sam followed the man’s line of sight. “It’s not going to hurt anybody. But when we leave here, I want everyone in here to remain as you are, allow the police to come to you,” he advised. “A bunch of you go running out there, might cause someone out there to panic and everyone’s been behaving so well I don’t want to see anybody get shot.”

“You’re going to set the bomb off!” accused one of the men lying on the floor.

“I promise you it won’t detonate, scout’s honor,” Sam said.

There was some indistinct grumbling and murmuring from the people sprawled on the floor, but no one else spoke.

Gathering both hooded women and the two men dressed like robbers together, Sam motioned George over to join them. “I want to make sure everyone understands how we are going to leave the bank. No surprises, no sudden impulse to run, that kind of thing. You drive?” he asked, looking at Blaine.

Blaine nodded.

“Good, okay so when we go out of the bank, I want you to get behind the wheel, you’re going to be the driver and we’re going to pull out of here nice and slow,” instructed Sam, speaking slowly and enunciating very clearly.

“Where do you want me to drive to?” Blaine inquired.

“Don’t worry, I’ll direct you once we get out on the road.”

“What about the police?” Blaine asked.

Don’t worry about them, they’re going to be very accommodating and they’ll make a hole for us. I just don’t want you to panic and do something foolhardy is all,” Sam stated. “You can do this,” he added, clapping the other man on the shoulder.

Blaine nodded, the seriousness of the situation not lost on him. Sam started to turn toward George, then paused a moment, before turning back to Blaine, “How we going to do this?” he asked.

“Nice and slow,” replied Blaine calmly, voice even, making a smooth gesture with his left hand.

Sam chuckled, “Almost like a real bad guy,” he said, handing Blaine Cameron’s unloaded assault rifle minus the magazine. Looking around, “Everybody else ready?” he asked.

The people in the group nodded.

Sam checked on Steven grip on the switch and nodded. “Alright, let’s do it.” He paused at the door, “Remember, everyone stay down,” he instructed.

Exiting the bank, Sam guiding Elayne with a firm hand under her right arm, George assisting May. Blaine complied with Sam’s instruction and circled around the front of the van to climb into the driver’s seat. Steven opened the side door and scooted in, Dead Man’s switch clenched tightly in his fist. May, with George’s assistance was next to enter the van followed by George who reached back down for Elayne and took her hand while Sam put his hand on her bottom and boosted her up into the van.

“You see alright?” Sam asked, looking at the gore on the inside of the windshield.

Blaine turned and nodded. Turning back, he looked down and turned the ignition key.

 

Chapter End Notes:

Please feel free to review or comment, it is always appreciated, thanks for reading!