- Text Size +

Adelina

There was a soft but insistent knocking coming from the door, stirring the aged woman out of her reverie. Grumbling under her breath, she leaned forward, looping the necklace back over her head, the years melting off her.

“Come in,” she said, settling back into the chair.

Madison popped her head into the room, “Is everything okay?” she inquired, smiling.

Adelina nodded and smiled in return, “Of course dear,” she replied.

“Can we talk?” she queried.

“Certainly,” Adelina answered, pointing to the vacant chesterfield along the wall.

Entering the room properly, Madison walked over to the couch and sat down, curling her legs up under her.

“What would you like to discuss?” asked the old woman now looking youthful again.

“Your plan,” Madison replied directly.

Adelina nodded, “Alright what would you like to know?”

“Everything,” she said.

Adelina shook her head, “Not yet, there are still some pieces in play that have yet to settle themselves, but soon,” she replied.

Madison frowned, the expression marring her beautiful face.

“I need to return to the city,” Adelina said, pushing herself up to standing.

“Do you want me to drive you?” she asked.

Shaking her head, “Mirielle can take me,” she advised.

“You’re going to see my father. What do you plan to do with him?” she questioned.

Adelina chuckled, “I honestly don’t know,” she said wistfully, shrugging her shoulders.

Within a quarter of an hour, Mirielle at the wheel of Madison’s car, Adelina was headed into the city.

“Where to?” asked the strawberry blonde.

“The Hearst building,” she replied.

Rather than make inquiry, Mirielle nodded and began driving. She was kind of nervous, uncertain about the nature of the drive and whether or not she would be shrunk again, so she proceeded in silence. Being Sunday afternoon, traffic was fairly light and they made good time. Arriving at the plaza, Mirielle pulled into the designated space and parked the car before looking over at Adelina. It was eerie actually watching the transformation, seeing the woman feature morph and change, hair lightening. The only thing that remained unaltered was the necklace around her neck, other than that, for all intents and purposes, Madison was now sitting in the car.

Turning to Mirielle, the Madison doppleganger smiled, “Yes?” she asked, voice a perfect imitation of the girl.

Letting out a slow breath, Mirielle nodded before chuckling nervously, “No offense, that is very creepy,” she said.

Getting out of the car, Adelina did not reply, instead crossing the plaza to the building bearing the Hearst name.

Riding the elevator up to the floor where Mortimer’s office was located, she stepped out, passing the reception desk and moving into the offices proper.

Mortimer was seated at his desk, head down.

“Father,” Adelina said, voice an exact duplicate of Mortimer’s only daughter.

Looking up from his desk, “Madison,” he said, an element of surprise in his voice, though his expression flashed only a glimmer of irritation. “What brings you here today?” he asked. “Is it your brother?”

The girl shook her head, blonde swishing. “No, Michael is not the issue, a small annoyance at best. I have come for some answers," she advised.

Lips pursing, “I am very business at the moment and I highly doubt whatever it is you seek necessitated you to come here on a Sunday afternoon to interrupt my work,” he responded sternly.

Looking around, she spread her arms, “This entire empire is founded on blood,” she accused.

Mortimer put his arms on the desk, tenting his fingers. “I’m not quite certain I follow you,” he said, voice dangerously calm, eyes narrowing.

Her face a mask of ire, she stormed over to the chair in front of his desk and sat down, eyes locked on his, “Klaus Hertz,” she bluntly stated.

Leaning back in his chair, the older man stared hard at the girl, “I’m not sure where you heard that name,” he replied.

“It doesn’t matter,” she spat, leaning forward, elbows on her knees.

“Was it the care home? Has the old man been talking again?” he demanded.

Surprised, she shook her head, “What?”

His brow furled, then he started to laugh, “You didn’t know. You came here with only a name,” he said, bringing his hands together. “Very well played,” he congratulated.

“He still lives?” she breathed, daring not to hope.

Mortimer nodded, “Your great grandfather Nicholas Hearst is still very much alive, though of late his mind has been beginning to slip, his memories failing,” he said.

“You knew?”

“Of course I knew, I had to continue his work. Your grandfather missed it so he needed to be removed, but I continue it and when I am through this will be yours. Michael lacks the capability, the discipline. He is too much like your ignorant mother,” he impugned.

“His work?”

Looking at the screen, he saved his work, “This conversation is occurring sooner than I expected. Your great grandfather was on a mission, directly from the Fuhrer himself. All of this, all that we have achieved is designed to fulfill those orders,” he stated, self-assured smile on his lean face.

“What?”

“Foolish girl, Klaus Hertz belonged to the Ahnenerbe, one of twelve SS knights inducted into the order at Wewelsburg, tasked with deciphering the Ghent Altarpiece and tracking down the Arma Christi. When his health failed, my father was supposed to take up the mantle, but he considered it nonsense and turned away. You will be my successor in this quest,” he indicated.

“Where is he now?” she said, voice low, feeling her blood turn cold.

“Klaus?” he chuckled, “He is at the Alsace Care Home here in the city,” he replied.

“I want to see him,” she voiced.

Checking his watch, Mortimer nodded, “I suppose it could be arranged. You have no idea how pleased I am you are embracing your destiny. With his deteriorating condition, I think it is very important you spend some time with him,” he said proudly.

Picking up the desk phone, he made two phone calls, one to the care home, the other to have his limo prepared.