- Text Size +

Aftermath

Mirielle wasn’t sure what the old lady was planning, but she figured it was probably best if she just stayed put. When the long black limousine pulled into the parking lot near Madison’s car and Madison or her twin climbed out, Mirielle frowned.

Walking over to the car, Adelina opened the door and climbed inside the passenger seat, “I have something for you,” she said, extending a hand to show the diminutive form of Mortimer Hearst lying unconscious in her palm.

Mirielle looked at the tiny man and then to the girl. “I don’t know what you want me to do,” she said, speaking truthfully.

“Take him,” she said, “he is essence yours. The company belongs now to Madison with you to assist her. You will need him to help guide you in the interim.”

Reaching out, Mirielle took the slender little man between her fingers, rolling him about, a grin on her face. “Um,” she said, looking back, “And the catch is?” she inquired, certain there would be some type of price and wanting to make sure she understood before she accepted Mortimer.

“He is yours to do with as you please once his usefulness has come to an end,” she advised, “until then, he may be of some value as the leadership within Hearst shifts.”

Nodding to herself, a slow smile crossed her lips as she placed the man into the safety of her brassiere, she started the engine.

“Seat belt,” she reminded.

Fastening the belt, “We need to pick up Lucie and Michael before we return out to the Hearst home,” she advised, sharing the street address.

Not recognizing the street name, Mirielle mapped the information through the app on her phone, finding simple directions to the location. Destination locked in, set the car in motion. “Everything go okay?” she asked. “You were gone for quite a while.”

The form of Madison faded, muting and leaving only the tired bent form of an old looking woman, “I am weary beyond measure,” she said, voice so soft it was barely more than a whisper.

At the cottage, they collected Lucie, Michael cradled in her cupped hands as they drove out to the house.

“Have you decided what it is you will do with him?” Adelina asked, without bothering to look back at Lucie.

Looking at the tiny life in her hands, she knew what she wanted. “I have learned many new things this day, but I would see him restored,” she replied, a determined cast to her expression.

The old woman smiled and nodded. “It is done then, the curse has been amended. He will sleep for a while and when next he awakens, he will be himself once more,” she stated.

Pulling into the drive, Mirielle parked the car, circling around to assist the old woman out of the vehicle.

Madison appeared at the door, greeting them upon their arrival before leading all the others toward the large sitting room on the main floor.

“It is finally done,” Adelina said, leaning on Madison to walk.

“What?” inquired the blonde haired girl, arm looped under Adelina’s.

“What I set out to do,” she replied.

“You didn’t tell what it was you were going to do,” she reminded, looking over to the strawberry blonde.

Mirielle shrugged, “All I did was drive,” she said, shaking her head.

“Your father’s business is now yours to run,” she stated.

“What of my father?” Madison asked, eyes wide.

“He has been removed from his position and will now only act in an advisory capacity assisting Mirielle while you assume your rightful position as the head of the company.”

“What of Michael?” Madison asked, looking at Lucie’s hands

“He shall be restored come tomorrow, though you and Lucie will have the power to reassert its influence should he resort to his former ways,” she said with a dry chuckle.

“Why did you teach me?” Madison asked, shifting sideways to allow Adelina to get into the room.          

“You are my great great granddaughter through your father,” she said, placing a gentle hand on the girl’s cheek.

“I don’t understand,” Madison replied, shaking her pretty head.

Lucie too frowned. “We are related?” she inquired, looking down at the slumbering youth in her hands.

“Distantly,” she replied. Turning back to Madison, “Help me to the chair,” she said, moving slowly. “There is a chest under my bed in the cottage, you two must now study the things you find there. I can no longer walk the road with you, but you shall have each other,” she stated, sitting down.

The two girls looked at one another, exchanging confused expressions.

Adelina let out a sigh, “I am with my family,” she whispered, folding her hands neatly in her lap, a smile of serenity on her face as she closed her eyes, chin dipping forward.

“When she returned to the car, she said she was really weary,” Mirielle said quietly, nodding.

Dedanya?” Lucie asked, kneeling on the carpet beside the chair, shifting Michael into one hand first and placing the empty hand on the lathery skin of the old woman’s arm. There was no response. “I don’t think she’s breathing,” she said, a measure of alarm in her voice as she hastily brought her fingers up to the side of Adelina’s neck.

Madison bent down on the opposite side of the chair, hand over the old woman’s, fingers feeling for a radial pulse. Finding none, “I think she’s gone,” she said, eyes glistening.

Lucie nodded, her own eyes moistening.

Back in the tiny cottage at the edge of the city, Teodora’s brilliant green eyes opened.

 

Chapter End Notes:

The end od one story is the beginning of another. Hope you enjoyed this one. Please feel free to share your thoughts.