- Text Size +

Following Scorder’s car through the narrow streets that made up this old town, I slowly made my way out of the city, my chopper-mounted bazooka-wielding entourage in tow.

 

As we passed from the industrial area into the city centre, I noticed that the skyscrapers were sort of arranged into clumps. A lot of the buildings were very old. Redbrick and sandstone, marble plazas and arty fountains dotted the landscape. Most of the smaller buildings didn’t come up much past my shins and seem to carpet the region like dried grass that hadn’t been mowed. And all throughout the city, clusters of skyscrapers seemed to have sprung up here and there; all very tightly packed and competing with one another for height supremacy. It was just then that I noticed that the skyscrapers were all arranged in an oval of sorts like some ancient circle of power where people and animals were sacrificed. It was very surreal.

 

Scorder had wanted Mike to ride in the car with him on our way to where we were going, but Mike and I had decided that I would carry him at least part of the way. As we walked along the road my thoughts once again turned to how our relationship had been when I was small. Now that I thought about it, I had spent a lot of time in his hands. Being six inches tall is kind of like a cross between being under house arrest and being a quadriplegic.

 

While Mike and Rachel were out working or on SPRT business Howard and I spent all of our time in our miniature house. And no, it wasn’t a doll-house. It was built from scratch by my fellow shrunken people with all the proper fixtures and furnishings you would expect in a normal house. It was nice, and there was a lot to keep our minds occupied, but it was still like being caged. Oh, the door wasn’t locked, but there just wasn’t anywhere for us to go. Then the two giants would get home. We would venture out into their living space and we would be completely useless. They would have to carry us about everywhere and do everything for us.

 

But it wouldn’t be the same for Mike. He wasn’t small. I was huge. He could still easily get around in the world while I had to have an escort just to walk down the street. I’m tired of being the freak!

 

I suppose I could have stayed in the shrunken country. It would have been easier. I could have continued in my profession as a teacher and lead a relatively normal life. But I wanted to be with Mike, and giants weren’t allowed in the shrunken country unless there was an attack.

 

As it was, I had still taught through distance education over the Internet. Mike had a computer rigged up so I could use it. As for being in his hands, they were warm, soft and gentle. The freedom I had during those times in the house -- Away from the giants, away from the world. I would disappear into the anonymous ether of the internet and it was enough.

 

Mike suddenly spoke up.

“What are you thinking about?”

“I was thinking about our time at the safe house.”

“Ye…. Good or bad?”

“What do you mean?”

“When you were small…. Sometimes I got the feeling that you didn’t fully trust me. Like that time I forgot our one year anniversary. I’d expected you to be furious but you just smiled and said it was all right.”

 

I had been keeping my eye on the road while we spoke, but that made me glance his way for a second.

 

“Perhaps I’m just forgiving?”

“Perhaps. But you were pissed at me that night, and you didn’t express it. It kind of made me feel bad that you didn’t feel comfortable sharing your emotions with me.”

“Once bitten twice shy, Mike, and I was bitten far more than just once. I was, every shrunken person is, afraid of the giants on some level. I didn’t think you noticed. And besides, you made it up to me.”

“I guess I didn’t bring it up because I didn’t want to make you feel more uncomfortable. But I did notice. So it wasn’t anything personal , ey?”

“No Mike, and I noticed you flinched too when I first picked you up. As a matter of fact I think you’ve been far too trusting of me. When I first saw you, a little part of me hoped that you would refuse to come to me. You shouldn’t trust a giant you don’t know.”

“What do you mean? We’d known each other for more than a year. We’d slept together.”

 

I shrugged. “Things change in people when they have power over you.”

“Not everyone, apparently. You seem to be the same woman I fell in love with 2 years ago.”

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

The next few nights were spent holed up in a string of cheap motels. As I said before, the town of Counterpoint was a travel hub between three major cities, which is a nice way of saying that it’s on the border of three states and out in the middle of nowhere. A chain of gas stations and motels lined the highway with just enough distance between them to force people to stay or fill up. It was pretty efficient really.

 

The whole place was one big flat plain. Don’t get me wrong; it wasn’t a desert or anything. But the place was so damn bare, mostly grass meadows and a few tufts of trees here and there. I guess I just expected there to be more mountains and stuff to take up the landscape. Being like a walking lookout tower, I could see for miles around. When we got to one of the motels it was more often than not the only that landmark I could see. It gave you a real feeling of isolation.

 

One of the first things Mike told me was that whenever I wanted, I could hold him. I don’t know why, but having his warm body in my hand made me feel a little better. If we were a normal couple we could hold hands, kiss, or just be close to one another. But I hade to make do with what was about the size of a mouse to me. This situation had its advantages. Mike was so soft and warm. Sometimes I’d cup him in both hands and press him lightly against the centre of my chest. He’d commented that my heart sounded so powerful under my skin.

 

I didn’t dare let him sleep with me though. I might have rolled over in my sleep and crushed him. I’d been having a lot of nightmares lately, different variations of that one with the monster. Sometimes it would catch us and kill us both. Other times we would get away. I didn’t yet trust myself, even if he did.

 

It took about four days for me to walk the distance. Slowly making our way, first east and then west, and on the last day my heart suddenly crashed to the floor as I saw, in the distance, where it was that we had been heading all this time. It was SPRT headquarters.

 

Mike and I spoke in unison.

“Damn it.”

 

 

 

 

SPRT HQ was essentially a huge warehouse made of corrugated steel out in the middle of nowhere. It was pretty drab from the outside, and if you didn’t know what it was you would probably never guess there was a miniature world inside. A few other small brick buildings in a cluster by the main entrance housed the members and counsellors who helped watch over the little people.

 

The place looked a lot different at this height, it was still pretty large. About four times as long as I was tall, the roof came up to my chest. The most obvious change (if there were any others) were the twenty-foot fences behind the main building. Not very tall by our standards, but it was not really there to keep us in. It was meant to keep other homicidal maniacs out. Like the ones that attacked me in Centerpoint. Inside, safely fenced away, were twenty giant people just like me! There were men and women of different ages and races. They must have been test subjects like me.

 

Scorder’s voice came over his trusty loudspeaker. “Ms Etherglade, this is where we have to leave you. This was set up after the discovery of other giant people. I suppose you’re taking you boyfriend in with you?”

 

“How come I didn’t know about it sooner?”

“You were in a coma, remember. We’d discovered some other giants before, but the feds were still deciding what to do with you all.”

 

Mike, as always, rode in the palm of my hand. We looked into each other’s eyes.

“Do you think you’re ready to be around giants you don’t know.”

“They’re on our side, aren’t they?”

“I guess so.”

“Then it should be ok… You’ll protect me if they start anything. Wont you?”

I gently held his tiny frame against my chest. “Of course Mike.”

 

As I passed by the warehouse, I could see the miniature world below through the skylights. I paused for just an instant. I could probably destroy a whole block in one step. My mind suddenly flashed on a dominant crushing a small house full of people. It sent a sharp jolt through my body. I wondered what they’d think if they could see me now.

 

I continued toward the fence, holding Mike very close to me. Though the fence is short enough for me to step over, the gate slowly slid open to let me pass. Inside the makeshift compound there are a number of large tents. Giants and giantesses are milling around doing various things; lying in the sun, playing an oversized game of chess. I noticed some of them were talking with normal sized people. The little people would lie on there stomachs or be held tentatively in their hands. I felt a knot untwist in my stomach. If Mike had been the only little person in the compound I wouldn’t have let him stay. It would have been too dangerous. But if other little people were living here, then maybe Mike and I would be ok too.

 

It took a while before any of the giants noticed we were here. One of the women, who had been holding a little man, called out and waved us to her attention. Sitting cross-legged by one of the tents, she was a tall, spindly girl with dark brown eyes and long flowing black hair, which was tied back into a loose ponytail. Getting up, she padded briskly toward us, her man held lightly one-handed to her chest, while her ponytail swished from side to side. I guess she was the official welcome wagon. She wore something which resembled a sleeveless shirt, except it was laced, not buttoned, and a pair of very short shorts.

 

“Hello, you must be the giantess from Centerpoint. This is Mark. My name’s Eve. What’s yours?” Eve held the little man in her hand out for me to see.

“My name is Veronica, but people call me Ronny. This is my boyfriend, Mike. I see they’ve had some time to make you something that at least resembles normal clothes.”

“Yeah. Mark says they’re really coarse, probably made of convince (?word?), but they feel fine to me. We don’t really get a change though.”

“I think we should show them around, honey.” Mark said from Eve’s hand.

 

Eve led the way while she pointed out various aspects of the camp.

“The tents are divided up into four to five people. All the giants with little partners are in the farthest tent on the right. The others on the right have couples that are both giants. I guess they get the most space, but you don’t really want to interrupt two giants who are making out.

 

The tents on the left are all singles and split up into the different sexes. Only the first tent has men. The others are all women.”

 

“How come there aren’t more giants around? There was an equal amount of test subjects in both sexes weren’t there?” Mike said.

 

“We don’t know yet. Some people just seem to over-grow. Rachel and some of the other scientists are working on it.”

“How many volunteers were there?”

“About 80.” She cocked her head to one side, paused in thought for a second.

“That’s just under half of the women and a fourth of the men. Anyway, there’s a projector for movies and TV over there in the backfield. It’s not much good until the sun goes down, but it’s better than nothing. And last but not least, there’s the general activity area.”

 

I thought to myself: Gee, that’s a nice way of describing “a big patch of grass with nothing in it.” I didn’t say it out loud though. Eve’s exuberance aside, the place felt a lot like a POW camp to me. The helicopters with missiles were replaced with watchtowers armed with the same thing. Five large green canvas tents were erected in a U shape in the centre of the camp, with a large field in the front and rear. Mike and I watched Eve bounce over to one of the tents in the rear of the cluster. How could anyone be so perky? Maybe she was on a high from not being helpless any more, or maybe I’m just jaded.

 

 

 

 

“Well Mike, do you think we should bunk up with the other couples like us?”

“I think it would be interesting to talk to other people who are going through the same things we are. It’s a classic role reversal, really.”

I barely trusted myself with Mike, let alone a room full of giants I didn’t know. Though I felt I had a better chance of protecting him now that I was one of them. I didn’t like it, but the decision had been made. Paranoia can be an effective survival trait, but you can’t let it dictate your every move. It’s just plain old bad for your sanity.

 

I took a deep, cleansing breath in through my mouth and out through my nose. I opened up the flap and stepped inside. All conversation immediately ceased, and all eyes turned to Mike and me. Three other giants sat in a circle around the tent. In the center was a cluster of gas lamps set on some old wooden tables. The lights glowed white, brightening the circle, but they weren’t strong enough to light the whole tent. It left most of the giants’ faces in an eerie shadow.

 

Surrounding the tables were a number of equally crusty looking chairs, a fridge, and a small TV. Three little people lounged in the circle of flesh made by the giants. Mark was sitting by one of the lamps reading a book. A woman was sort of lying in the giant’s lap, snuggling her head up to his thigh. His huge hand came down on top of her and began to gently stroke her small frame. The scene was very familiar. Another giantess seemed to be having a private conversation with a man sitting in her palm. I guess you can pull that off when the person you’re talking to can’t be heard from a foot away (from our perspective, at least). Though the light was dim, I could tell she had a beautiful smile on her face.

 

I sat down in a space between Eve and the giant man.

 

“Hi, Veronica. Everyone, this is Veronica and her boyfriend Mike.” Eve motioned to the group. The others all nodded and said hello in semi-unison.

“This is Stanley and July” That both waved.

“And the two in their own world over there are Maria and Shawn.”

“I’m pleased to meet you.” Maria said.

“Yeah, same here.” Shawn said.

“And, of course, you already met Mark and me.” Evelyn’s voice rang silky sweet in my ears. After only a few minutes of having met her I knew she’d been broken bad. She was all smiles and cheer, but it was like a kind of denial. Like all the bad things that happened could be wished away if she tried hard enough. A big smile was spread across her face but it was stiff and tense, as if it would come apart if she didn’t hold it together. The spark had gone from her eyes, leaving them lost and sad. Why hadn’t I noticed it before? Was it the light, or am I just going crazy?

 

“So Veronica, what took you so long getting here?” It was July.

“Someone tried to kill me. I was in a coma for a while.” The other occupants exchanged shocked looks. I didn’t feel like going into details so I followed up with a question of my own.

“So, how long has this place been set up for?”

“Two, three weeks maybe. The different states were taking care of us until they discovered five in one place. Then someone decided to herd us all in here.” Maria said.

“It almost feels like old times.”

Steven cocked his head to one side.

“Let me see … out in the middle of nowhere, locked up like animals, hot and sweaty. Yeah, that seems about right.” He gave me a tired kind of smile.

 

“I noticed there aren’t any beds for any one.” I said

“Well, we don’t really need beds. The ground here is pretty soft. At least, it is to us anyway.” Steven said.

“And we just sleep on our big, soft lovers” July said. They looked at each other tenderly. July reached up to grab Steven’s thumb. It wrapped around behind her neck and she snuggled up to it like a pillow. He began to ever so gently stroke his fingers up and down her body, the pads only barely touching the woman’s bare skin. July gave a little sigh as she pressed her body closer to the warm mass of flesh that was her boyfriend.

 

“So I take it you were… public property.” It was Maria this time. She said the last as though the words meant more then they implied, and they did. In the shrunken person ring, if you were public property then you were there for anyone to do anything they pleased with you. Being a pet wasn’t necessarily better, depending on whose pet you were.

 

Someone who was public property lived on a day-to-day basis. Some days you’d be “lucky” and get scooped up by a gentle dominant or escape the carnage altogether by hiding somewhere. But when you were taken by someone who was indifferent, and most of them were, the likelihood of your survival would drop exponentially. And if you were caught by a violent one, you were done for.

 

“Yeah, for the most part anyway. I guess the scars give me away.” I said.

“It’s nothing to be ashamed of. There wasn’t anything you could do about it.”

“True. You were a pet, weren’t you?” Maria nodded. “One night when Lyndon was feeling particularly nasty he decided to play hackey-sack with me. When he was done with that he….” My voice trailed off into a slight sob. I skipped the next part. We all knew what happened after.

“When he was…. Done with me, he left me bleeding in the street. That was the first time that Lyndon tried to kill me. One of the other dominants picked me up and took me back to her house. Her pets bandaged me up and tended to my wounds while she helped me perform physiotherapy.” I took another deep breath and finished my story.

 

“When I asked her why she was helping me, she said, ‘I like broken toys. They appreciate how tender I like to play’. She said that most masters threaten their toys with all sorts of things; death, mutilation, torture. But the only threat she had was that she’d return them to the public domain. She said it kept us very obedient.” I pressed Mike to my chest. He was almost like a living security blanket.

“She was right. I would have done anything if she’d let me stay with her. But Lyndon promised he’d break in four other people who were guaranteed to survive if she would give me over to him. A lot of the people she brought back didn’t make it. So, she handed me over.”

 

I finally realised that I’d been staring at the ground almost the entire time. I looked up and all eyes were on Mike and me. For an elongated moment the room lay dead silent.

 

Eve had begun to cry. She motioned for Mark to come into her hands, and he did so. She slowly raised him up to her chest also.

“I’ve heard part of this story before. Was the name of that dominant Joan Kavery? ”I nodded.

“Eve was one of the ones you were traded for.”

 

My mouth dropped wide open. I wanted to say something but nothing would come out of my mouth except incoherent sound. So I closed it. I gulped, tried to swallow the shock back down inside me. It wasn’t working.

 

So Lyndon was the one who had robbed Eve of her soul. No, robbed was the wrong word. He’d destroyed it, smashed it into itty-bitty pieces and dumped it back into her body.

 

Someday he was going to pay for that. Someday he was going to pay for it all.

 

 

We traded a few more horror stories before we all decided it was time to try and get some sleep.

 

I looked down at Mike in my hands. We still hadn’t slept together since I’d grown. I was scared I’d kill him somehow.

 

“It’s all right you know.” It was Mark. Something must have shown on my face, because he continued.

“You don’t need any special training or anything just to sleep with one another. Now sex, that’s something entirely different.”

 

“You still don’t trust yourself?”

“No.”

“Let it be enough that I do.”

 

I rolled onto my back and stretched out my legs. The ground was soft and conformed to my body. I placed Mike in my cleavage and crossed my arms under the cup of my breasts to hold him in place. I took a deep breath and just lay there for a second or two, getting to know the feel of his warm body between my breasts. I drifted off to sleep, and it was good.

 

Chapter End Notes:

Like I said in the beggining, it's been years since I wrote this. Reading it back it seems strange that all the couples seem to be sharing tents. You'd think they'd each have there own for privacy reasons.