- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

Hello everyone, and i'm happy to be back.

I hope you guys didn't mind the long wait, i'm sorry about that but i had a lot of trouble with both school and writing this when i had time to.

I finally had to wait till i could get some help with it because the events for this chapter took me a long time to get set in the way i wanted. But after showing it off and reading it over a few... dozen times, i think it looks about right.

I hope you guys enjoy it to!

Claire smiled contently as she rested her palms on her back, slouching leisurely. After Leaving the Daycare with May, she found that the walk they were sharing was rather enjoyable. Looking up at the pink haired child, she shook her head amused.

She looked completely carefree, almost to an absurd extent. As May hummed occasionally as they walked, she soon paused before looking around catching Claire’s attention. “Something wrong?” Blinking May looked down before smiling happily.

“Oh there you are, I thought I lost you for a second.” She giggled, causing the shrunken girl to gawk. “How could you have lost me you’ve been carrying me since we left?!” Staring down at the brunette blankly, May hummed quietly before shrugging.

“I’ll make sure to keep track of you this time.” Claire’s mouth remained open as she continued to stare up at May in disbelief. Was she serious? There was no way she could have forgotten here when she was in her hands!

‘Don’t let yourself be out of May’s sight or she might forget about you…’ Gulping, Claire shook her head. She thought that was some kind of a joke, could she really be this oblivious? “Claire?” Looking up now, having been pulled from her thoughts, the shrunken worker nodded as she saw a worried expression present on the toddlers face.

“Do you know where I live? I think I’m lost.” Silence passed between them both now, as Claire continued to stare up at May speechless. ‘What...’ Shaking her head slowly, May soon frowned before fidgeting. “Oh no, not again…” ‘Again?!’

Seeing the frightened expression she was sporting, the brunette gulped slightly. It didn’t look like she was faking this. “M-May?” Looking back down, the pinkette nodded, as tears began to form near her eyes. “N-N-Now, don’t cry, I… I mean you must know where you live right? How long have you been walking home?”

Almost like a switch was flipped, May’s tears went away as she smiled brightly. “I’ve been doing this for 6 months.” She stated rather proudly before she gasped. “Oh, I live up here!” Claire only had a moment to cry out as she clung to the eager child’s hand as she broke into a quick sprint.

‘W-W-What is going on?!’ With her white bunny hoodie, flapping freely in the wind, the pink haired child giggled with glee as she rounded a nearby street corner before coming to a rather abrupt stop, that would have sent the shrunken girl flying had she not been latched onto her hand for dear life.

“We’re here, welcome home! Wait, no this is my home… welcome to my home?” She tapped her chin in thought for a moment before looking down at Claire confused. “Why are you hugging me?” Panting, Claire looked up at May angrily before it died away instantaneously with her innocent cerulean eyes.

‘D-Damn it…’ she couldn’t be angry at her, those eyes were dangerous! Sighing, the brunette crawled to her feet tentatively before forcing a smile on her lips. “O-O-Oh, I just, wanted to show you my, appreciation, for carrying me here…?”

Looking down indifferently, May soon frowned before walking forward, confusing her. Had she said something wrong? “Let me show you my home. I hope you like it.” Scowling, Claire remained quiet as she heard the not so subtle change in her voice.

‘I wonder what that was about…’

 

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

 

 

May opened her front door quietly before peeking around as she scanned the room carefully. Smiling, she pushed the door the rest of the way before walking inside with Claire still in hand. “So this is where you live, huh…”

She hadn’t been expecting this. The front door opened into the living room, with a hallway leading to a small set of stairs she couldn’t see past and the corner showing an archway leading out of the room. Inside the room, were basic things you’d expect, nothing special?

‘Small couch, small TV, small bookshelf… I’m starting to see a pattern.’ Well, at least it wasn’t as bad as Kat’s living arrangements. Before she could dwell on the room further, however, both Claire and May froze as a woman with dark brown hair quickly walked into the room, passing May as if she weren’t even there.

Moving her hand in a swift motion, before the shrunken brunette could even utter a peep, May shoved Claire into her hoodie's front pocket before looking at the woman who seemed to be unaware of her presence.

“Hi mommy, I’m back…” Freezing, the woman quickly turned around before looking at May in shock. “May sweetie, what are you doing out of the Daycare, you were just dropped off?” Frowning, May simply pointed to a small clock on the wall next to her, prompting her mother to look up before her eyes widened.

“Three already? I could have sworn I just dropped you off… Wait, how did you get home?” The pinkette’s frown remained before she shrugged. “I walked home.” Scowling at her daughter, the dark-haired woman moved back to the archway briskly before screaming out.

“WHY DIDN’T YOU PICK UP MAY? SHE WALKED HOME AGAIN!” A few moments later something slammed in another room before another scream was heard. “IT WAS YOUR TURN TO PICK HER UP LIKE WE AGREED! DON’T PIN THAT ON ME!”

As her parents began to argue, quite loudly, in fact, the pinkette’s eyes trembled lightly before she walked towards the staircase at the end of the hallway before going up it. ‘They forgot their own child…’ Claire sulked speechlessly after hearing that.

How could they forget to pick her up from the daycare? She thought it was odd that May had been walking home to begin with since she looked the youngest out of all the girls the twins kept company with…

Hearing a door squeak open before shutting loudly behind her, Claire looked up as a small light entered the padded pocket she was nestled in, soon followed by a small hand. “I’m sorry I had to put you in there Claire… I didn’t want my mother to see you.” Her tone was hushed and almost raspy, confusing the shrunken brunette before she looked up, her heart soon clenching as she saw the saddened eyes May wore.

“M-May…?” Sniffling a little, the toddler, smiled sheepishly before moving forward towards a large pink bed in the corner of the room. “My parents work a lot… they don’t have time not to. We’re in debt.” Frowning, Claire shook her head.

Even if you had bills to pay, that’s not an excuse to forget our own child. Hopping onto her bed, May soon lifted Claire up before moving her back and forth. “Do you like my room?” Biting her lip, the brunette, scowled, wanting to not drop this subject, even if May wanted to.

Deciding to bring it up at a better time, the shrunken girl looked around before nodding slowly. White walls, a dark wooden dresser, a nightstand next to her pink bed, and a sweater chest near the end of it. It looked like a guest bedroom, a basic one really.

‘I guess that makes sense since she said her family is in debt.’ Looking back up at May’s excited eyes, she smiled warmly. “You have a lovely room May, it’s beautiful.” The toddlers smile broadened before she giggled happily.

“I think it’s cozy. It makes me feel safe when I’m in here.” Raising her brow, Claire nodded slowly. “I suppose you feel safest when you’re in your own room. They just have that effect on people.” She remembered when she was May’s age. Her room was like a sanctuary to her as well.

If she had a bad day and wanted to be alone and comfortable, she’d always hide in her room and play till whatever bothered her didn’t anymore. “Do you have questions to ask, or can I ask you some?” Looking back up at the pinkette, Claire nodded slowly.

Straight into it then, alright, she could do that. The sooner she got to know May the better. Setting the shrunken girl down, the white hooded toddler, soon crawled on her bed till she sat across from Claire, with her legs folded under her, resting now on her knee’s as she stared up her with enthusiasm.

“Can I go first?” Nodding, Claire smiled happily back. She was rather polite for her age, a nice surprise none the less. Humming quietly, a habit, Claire now realized she did whenever she thought about something, the shrunken girl waited before May smiled.

“What’s it like being all tiny?” Blinking, Claire’s brow rose slightly. That was the first thing she wanted to know? “U-Uh… I, I guess it’s alright? A bit scary at first, but… alright.” She shrugged sheepishly. Looking back at Claire with a focused expression, May soon nodded before smiling again.

“That’s a truthful answer, thank you.” Rubbing the back of her head, Claire nodded. ‘Truthful answer? That was odd even for her.’  Hearing the silence that soon followed, the shrunken worker looked up at May before it dawned on her.

‘Oh, she wants me to ask her something now.’ Blushing, from her lack of thought, she soon gave thought to her next question. “Can you tell me a little about yourself May? I know that’s not exactly a question, but I want to get to know you, is that alright?”

The pinkette turned her head slightly, curious, before nodding happily. “My name’s May, I’m four years old. I have lots of friends, and I love my parents.” After a few moments of quietness, Claire looked up at May confused.

“May, I already know all that. I want to get to know you, the actual YOU.” Looking down at Claire, seemingly not understanding the question, the brunette just shook her head. “N-Never mind lets come back to that later. Let’s see… I noticed your mother has lovely brown hair… I’m guessing yours was brown to at one point to, wasn’t it?”

May grinned before pulling on her hair lightly before petting it. “Do you like it? Sophia changed it for me. It looks all cute and cuddly now.” She giggled before stroking her hair enthusiastically, causing the shrunken girl to smirk. ‘Yep, she’s still a kid threw and threw.’

Maybe this was the change Kat mentioned before. Changing May’s hair color was somewhat odd in her opinion but if it made her happy, who was she to judge. Although it did make her question why her parents were either seemingly ok with it or if they could see it at all like Kat’s ears and tail.

Deciding to change the subject to a more pressing matter she waved her hand drawing the excited toddler’s attention back to her. ”How about you tell me how you met Sophia and Alexis as well?”

To say she was curious was an understatement. May didn’t seem that bad off. Her parents might be a bit overworked with whatever they did, but it didn’t look like she was troubled either. The only one she could compare May to was Kat and they both had polar opposite places they lived and lives.

The pink haired toddler said nothing for a moment as a small smile danced across her lips. “Their my friends, I love them both.” She whispered quietly before humming happily. “When I first went to the Daycare… it was a different place. Boys went there at one point. They were mean though and they picked on me…”

Frowning, Claire nodded as she heard the sadness in her tone. “But it wasn’t all bad… later. I didn’t have friends when I first got there, but after a few weeks, I was approached by them, the twins.” She grinned before looking down at Claire in excitement.

“They said I could play with them that day. So we did. We played and played for hours… it was the best day of my life…” She sighed, before shaking her head nostalgically. “After that day, things got better for me. The mean bullies that picked on me went away, and soon Alexis and Sophia introduced me to another… and then another, and finally another. I had friends, lots of friends.”

May finished quietly as she wiped a few tears from her eyes, causing the shrunken girl to smile somewhat. “And now they introduced me to you, you’re a friend to Claire aren’t you?” May asked almost pleadingly, causing the brunette’s heart to ache.

“Of course, I am May, I’ll be your friend.” Once again, the larger child looked at Claire with analyzing eyes before they lit up in excitement. “That was truthful! You want to be my friend!” She giggled happily, further confusing the brunette.

That was twice she said that now. That couldn’t have been a coincidence. “May, why do you keep saying that, I’m not going to lie to you, you know.” Giving the shrunken girl a big bubbly smile, the pinkette nodded before pulling her into a small hug.

“I know when people are lying, and that was truthful to. You’re a really nice person. You don’t lie like my parents do…” Claire looked up at May speechless now, both at her statement and what followed after. “Y-You can tell when people are lying to you?”

Pulling the shrunken girl back, May nodded happily before her eyes locked onto Claire’s. “Your face, it’s spotless, and when you smile your lips twitch upwards side by side, this means you’re happy and you’re being truthful. When you lie, though, your eyes bead and your tone lowers.”

Now Claire looked back at her shocked. Did she just analyze her facial patterns?! Opening her mouth to speak before feeling her words leave her, the shrunken brunette tried to figure out what this meant. “D-Did the twins… did they do this to you?”

Blinking, May hummed quietly before looking back at Claire confused. “What did they do to me?” Sighing, she waved her hand over her face before a look of understanding passed over the toddlers eyes. “Oh, Alexis fixed me. When we met, she said people were lying to me a lot. So she made me able to see when they lie now.” She said proudly before her smile soon fell.

“M-My parents lie a lot… not just to me but to each other as well… why do all adults lie?” Looking down at Claire now with incertitude, the shrunken girl didn’t know how to reply. “M-May… what do your parents lie about?”

Sulking, the child looked away for a moment before moving Claire onto her bed. “They don’t always forget me… they just say they do to make each other angry… they don’t like each other either. Whenever they say they love each other, they lie… Why do my mommy and daddy not love each other?”

The question in and of itself shocked the brunette. Looking towards the door where she could still hear arguing from the other end, her expression darkened before she grit her teeth. ‘W-What kind of parents are you!’

They obviously had some kind of marital issue, but they used their daughter to get back at each other?! Clenching her fists angrily, the shrunken worker seethed, before she felt a gentle pair of hands cup her tightly.

“C-Claire, are you mad at me to…?” Looking back at May shocked, she quickly shook her head before hugging her hand tightly. “O-O-Oh course not, don’t even think that! It’s your parents I can’t forgive… What they’re doing… I-It’s atrocious!”

Feeling herself pet gently now, the brunette sighed trying to get a hold of herself. She couldn’t help it, though. Parents were supposed to look after their children and love them more than anyone else… “It’s alright… I’m used to it by now…”

Shaking her head, she looked up at May feeling her own eyes beginning to tear up. Hugging the pinkette as tight as she could, she buried her face to hide the anger she was feeling. What an awful gift to give her if she found out such horrible truths from the two people who were supposed to love her…

Silence passed between them both now as May looked down at Claire curiously. “Why are you so sad? I don’t understand…” Sniffling, she looked up before shaking her head. “I, I just can’t fathom what’s going on in your parent’s heads… E-Even if they have issues they need to work out, using you… it’s unforgivable…” She whispered, before wiping her cheeks.

Frowning, May fidgeted slightly before a smile broke out over her lips. “I know what can make you happy!” Looking up at the toddler confused, Claire was set down again before May hopped off her bed and onto the floor.

“Whenever I feel sad, I always spend time with my friends… t-they listen to me…” Feeling a chill go down her spine now, Claire looked at what May was doing before her eyes widened. Moving a small box that had been covering it, a hole was revealed in her nightstand before she reached in and pulled something out, or multiple somethings…

Moving back to the bed, she grinned before dropping what it was she had in front of Claire. Looking down, the brunette gasped before she saw the barely conscious forms of multiple shrunken men. Each one looked haggard or just plain defeated, almost like their will had been broken long ago… and by the way they all looked she figured they had.

May looked over each of the shrunken people before her eyes rested on Claire. “These are my little friends. Sophia gave them to me after we first started playing together. I’ve kept most of them alive too! B-But my parents still won’t let me have a pet… They say I’m not responsible, b-but look! I’ve kept them all fed and bathed!” She cried in a pleading tone, almost like she was trying to sell Claire on the fact she did.

Looking back at the shrunken people, she shook her head confused. ‘K-Kat kept some to when she took me to her home… do each of the girls have their own private prison’s like these?’ That was a horrifying thought to say the least.

How could dozens of people go missing and yet no one figured something this huge out yet? Just how deep did the twins influence run in this city? Glancing back to May who was giggling happily as she petted a few of the immobile men, she shook her head.

“W-What do you do to them… D-Do you, do you hurt them like the others?” she whispered almost afraid to find out. Looking to Claire now, the toddlers eyes widened before she shook her head furiously. “NO, I NEVER HURT MY FRIENDS! I-I mean, not intentionally…” Whimpering, May looked away ashamed before reaching for one of the shrunken men, to out of it to fight her away.

As she picked him up, she rested the one-inch man in her palm before petting him gently. “T-There so squishy… I try to be gentle, b-but they pop sometimes… These are the few who don’t run away, though, so there easier to hold. The new ones like to run, and when I try to catch them…” Her voice trailed off before she made a popping noise with her lips, causing the brunette to visibly flinch.

‘D-Does she not see them as people?’ Looking back at the motionless guys, she shook her head. They must have witnessed horrific things to be this defeated. If they ran, May would try to catch them… and they might die… the only alternative was to not run, and just accept their fate?

Frowning, Claire shook her head. What did these people do to deserve this? It seemed like the twins had a story for each of them. What if these had just been unlucky people who were in the wrong place at the wrong time?

Hearing the light laughter near her, Claire’s eyes focused back on May as she wiggled her finger against the man in her palm. “This one likes being tickled, he’s always so friendly!” Glancing over her colossal hand, Claire’s confusion was evident before her eyes widened in horror at where May was touching him.

With the man lying on his back, her finger wiggled playfully against his groin, as a look of happiness washed over his face. Feeling disgusted at what she was seeing, Claire growled before looking back at May. “What do you think you’re doing?!”

Looking back at Claire confused, May didn’t get a chance to respond before she crawled into her hand herself and shoved the toddler’s free hand away. “D-Don’t touch him like that!” Looking back at the man in case he was hurt, her face contorted into a look of surprise before rage as she saw the man scowling back at her.

‘W-Was he enjoying that purposely?!’ “Claire what’s wrong? I always tickle him like this. I’m not hurting him I swear! He always looks happy when I do it.” She whispered with worry before flinching as she saw the enraged look crossed the brunette's face.

Before May could even ask what was wrong, she gasped in shock as she saw the brunette tackle the man screaming. Falling off her hand with the much small man crying in pain, she glared at him intensely before kicking him away.

“Get the hell away from her you pedophile!” Feeling herself suddenly restrained, she glared angrily upwards before her eyes softened as she saw the tearful eyes of the child she was defending. “C-Claire, y-you hurt him… w-why would you do that to my friend…?”

Growling, she tried to look back at the man, but she couldn’t see far enough, he had to have scampered away from her and for good reason. Looking back at May with stern eyes, she took a deep breath before speaking.

“M-May, he’s not your friend! He was letting you touch him like that because he’s sick!” the pinkette’s eyes continued to tear up as she looked between Claire and who she assumed was the man in question. “B-But why is he sick, does he have a cold?”

Growling, Claire shook her head before sighing. “N-Not, he’s not sick like that, he’s a pervert! He was letting you touch him… d-down there…” Looking back up hoping her point was getting across she scowled. She still looked completely confused by her words.

‘She's still too young to understand what was happening…’ Moving her hands over May’s she tried to give her a calming smile as best she could before hugging her tightly. “Y-You need to just trust me on this May. I know you don’t understand what I’m trying to tell you, but what he was making you do is bad! Am I lying to you?”

As the pink haired toddler’s eyes scanned her face, a look of understanding, while still clueless crossed her face before she nodded. “I-If you say so… why is it bad though? He liked when I tickled him, he always let me play with him.”

Clenching her teeth, she growled before fidgeting in May’s grasp. If she wasn’t restrained right now she would have gone back over to the man and kept kicking him! Lowering her head sadly, she shook her head before meeting May’s eyes.

“You just need to trust me on this. When you go to the Daycare tomorrow, tell the twins what happened. They can probably explain it better than I can…” pouting, May nodded disheartened before letting go of Claire and moving her hands towards the shrunken men still on her bed.

“I think I should put them away now… it’s getting close to dinner time anyways…” Sighing, Claire flopped on the pink bedsheets before shaking her head dismayed at what she had witnessed. She was holding out hope that these people were somehow innocent but after seeing that she was beginning to believe the twins might have been right…

‘Does that make me a bad person?’ She was basically forsaking countless people on account of the few bad cases she witnessed or at least was told… ‘N-No, don’t give up hope…’ They couldn’t all be bad, maybe just confused?

Sighing once more she just slouched into the bed as May got off it, placing the group of shrunken men back in their hole and moving the box that had been covering it back. “Alright, let’s wash up and get some food, I’m hungry.” She giggled, causing a small smile to cross Claire’s lips.

After what just happened she expected the girl to be in a bad mood, but it seemed like no matter what happened she would just bounce back to her bubbly self. Grinning, Claire nodded before she was picked up as well.

Maybe some food and conversation after this would make her feel a bit better… even if only a little…

 

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

 

 May sat in silence as her eyes darted back and forth between her parents who seemed more focused on one another’s issues then they did on the food in front of them. Making sure neither were noticing, even if she knew they weren’t, her hand would occasionally dart below the table to set some food on her lap, where Claire quietly sat as she listened in on the conversation above her.

To say she was unnerved was an understatement. When May told her that her parents didn’t like each other she was beginning to believe it. She could hear the malice in their words. What honestly surprised her was why they were even together.

Between talk of their checks bouncing or their failed initiatives in their jobs, it was hard to believe they even realized their daughter was sitting right in front of them. ‘And I thought Kat had it rough, are all of Sophia and Alexis’s friends going to have issues like these?’

On a brighter note though at least the pinkette didn’t try to threaten to hurt her… so pluses there she supposed. Smiling somewhat at that dark thought, she shook her head. Maybe she could help May when she grew back somehow… well, if she grew back. That was still up in the air at this point.

‘Not to mention I still have to spend a day with Lilith… LILY!’ Damn, a slip up like that would get her killed if she said it to the raven haired child’s face. Sighing, she took a bite of the bread was given before looking back up at May’s smiling face.

She just couldn’t understand what kept this child going. Her parents were a train wreck, and she had to guess her life had been hard to. But yet whenever she fell down, she bounced back within seconds. ‘You’re one of a kind,’ she giggled before lying back against the toddler’s white rabbit hoodie.

Feeling her eyes beginning to close, a quick comment that reached the shrunken girls ears suddenly made her shoot upwards. “May, why are you putting food under the table?” Her mom asked in a stern tone causing the pink haired child to freeze like a deer in the headlights.

“Did you bring something into the house again?” Shaking her head quickly, before May could answer her mother was already on her feet pulling the chair her daughter sat in away to see for herself. As May cried out in fright she looked down before blinking herself.

“C-Claire…?”, “What did you say?” Looking back up at her mother quickly, May shook her head before lifting her hands up. “I-I didn’t bring something home mommy, I didn’t!” Staring at her daughter sternly before looking back at the slight trail of crumbs left on her shirt she furrowed her brow before stepping away.

“Clean up the mess you made and stop dropping food on the floor.” Nodding quickly, the toddler waited till her mom sat down before looking around her chair. “C-Claire…?” Feeling tears beginning to swell up within her eyes she shook her clothes out vigorously before her eyes widened as she felt something tugging her shirt beneath her hoodie.

Pulling the front away she looked in her shirt before her eyes lit up. “T-That was to close for c-comfort…” The brunette groaned both literally and figuratively. If she hadn’t been listening to their conversation she wouldn’t have dived under her jacket at the last second.

Peeling herself off, she moved over to the extended hand May was giving her before she pulled Claire out and moved her to her pocket discretely. Quickly picking up what was left, she moved it over her plate before getting up to leave.

As she began to walk away, however, she gave one last look to her parents before sighing. They hadn’t even noticed her excuse herself it seemed. Heading back to her room, she smiled however as her hand rested over her pocket.

Shutting the door behind her quietly, May reached in before pulling out Claire happily. “I was so worried! I thought mommy was going to do something to you if she saw you. She doesn’t let me keep pets.” Scowling at the pet part of that statement, Claire brushed it off before nodding.

“I figured you’d want me to stay hidden. The last time I checked the twins didn’t exactly involve your parents… at least to my knowledge…” She muttered somewhat annoyed about how much she had been kept in the dark before she felt herself being lifted upwards.

Cupping the shrunken worker against her cheek, May nuzzled her gleefully before petting her back. “Thank you so much! You’re the bestest friend I have!” Giggling, Claire nodded before hugging her back. “Don’t mention it… not that I think you can anyway.”

Moving over to her bed, the toddler hopped on it before lifting Claire over her. “We have time before my bedtime… c-can we talk?” Looking down at her confused, she nodded before a large grin spread over her lips.

“Yay!” Rolling over on her bed, she set Claire down before propping her head up on her elbows. “How come you’re so different than other mean adults? You’re nice to us and you listen to me. You’re the only one who does.”

Rubbing the back of her head sheepishly, Claire shrugged not really sure herself. “I, I guess it’s just how I was raised really. Ever since I was a teenager I’ve found that I liked being around children. You're always so happy and optimistic. You never see the bad things around you and always look to make things and others better. I guess it’s just a passion.”

May watched her closely before nodding slowly. “What made you want to work at our Daycare?” Smiling warmly, Claire sighed before remembering how excited she had been when she saw the help wanted ad for the youth center.

“I guess the thought of helping all of you girls, it just made me feel fuzzy and excited. The pay was decent and the job would have been fulfilling. It was kind of a dream position really…” Seeing the disheartened look on the brunette's face now, May frowned herself.

“Aren’t you happy to be working there?” Nodding slowly, Claire smiled before feeling it leave her face once more. “It was… for the one day I worked there. I’m sure you realize now that I can’t exactly work at this size… I-If the twins decide to keep me like this, p-permanently I mean… I won’t get to work there anymore… not to mention I don’t know if I could after everything I’ve seen…”

May’s eyes widened before she looked at Claire pleadingly. “B-B-But you have to stay! You’re the first person there who’s ever treated us nice! Kat calls you a nice lady all the time, and it’s true! Please don’t leave… I don’t want you to go…” She whimpered quietly, causing the brunette's heart to ache.

‘It’s not my decision to make…’ Sighing, she nodded before giving the toddler a comforting smile. “If the twins allow it, then I’ll try to stay…” May looked at Claire’s face before she frowned. “You’re not telling the truth now… a-are you lying?”

Looking back at May surprised, Claire quickly shook her head. “I’m not lying to you, I said I wouldn’t! But what you’re asking me… it’s something not in my control… whatever happens, Sophia and Alexis control it… I don’t have a say in this matter.”

They held all the cards in whatever little game they were playing. If she was just a piece they needed, then they could use her however they wanted then discard her once they were done with her. She honestly didn’t know what was going to happen after the dust settled.

Silence passed between them both as an eerie quietness filled the room. Both wore the same looks of discontentment at what had been said before May looked up first attempting to break the tension. “No.” Looking up at her confused, Claire suddenly froze.

The look on the toddlers face was unlike any she had seen before. She saw her excited, happy, scared, sad, clueless, but the look she was giving her now… the closest thing she could compare it to was resolution. “N-No what?”

“No. You’re not leaving the Daycare. I won’t let you.” Claire would have staggered in surprise now if she had been standing, but with her current position the most she could muster to emphasize her surprise was her jaw hanging open abruptly.

“M-May, I don’t think you have a say in the matter. I already told you-“,”That the twins decide what they do with you. And I said no.” She said firmly, once more surprising the shrunken girl. “They gave you to me. They also gave you to Kat, and they plan on giving you to the others. We decide what happens to you too. And I say no. you’re staying at the daycare.” She huffed before folding her arms across her chest.

The tone she took was one of determination, causing a small smile to form on Claire’s face. Giggling, May unfolded her hands before cupping Claire tightly. “I won’t let them do anything to you. You’re my friend, and friends shouldn’t be mean to friends.”

Nodding slowly, the brunette felt her eyes almost tearing up. She had known May for less than a day and here she was saying she’d defend her if the Twins attempted to do anything to her. She doubted she’d be able to stop them if they tried but still the act was enough to choke her up.

Moving forward, she gave the pinkette’s hand a big hug before smiling warmly. “T-Thank you, that means a lot to me.” Nodding, May reciprocated the hug before rolling over once more with Claire now resting on her chest.

As the two sat in silence once more, only this one being more of contentment then displeasure, May soon broke it as a loud yawn escaped her mouth. “Getting tired already?” Nodding wearily as her eyes began to lull slowly shut, Claire nodded before moving to her side.

Sliding down her hoodie, she soon sat next to May before resting her own eyes as well. After everything was said and done, she felt exhausted. Yawning with as much noise as May had Claire soon snuggled close to the pink haired child before letting herself relax.

She felt safe with May, something she hadn’t felt in a long time. She wouldn’t mind letting this feeling drag out for a while longer…

 

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

 

Claire’s eyes suddenly shot open as a loud crashing noise startled her awake. Looking around frantically, she blinked away her sleepiness before looking over the edge of the bed she was on. On the floor was the small box May had used to cover the hole in her nightstand.

Scowling, the brunette turned to the sleeping child before she smiled. She looked so content. She just couldn’t find it in her heart to wake her up. Sighing, she moved to the edge once more before gripping the fluffy pink coverings.

Scaling the side slowly, she made sure not to look down in case her composure slipped. She might have been only three inches tall but still, the prospect of falling frightened her all the same. Landing lightly, she looked around before making her way over to the fallen box.

As she peeked over the corner her eyes widened slightly as she saw a group of three men currently crawling out of the hole and onto the ground near her. ‘There trying to escape?’ she couldn’t fault them for it but where did they plan on going? At one inch a piece, it’s not like they could survive on their own.

Frowning, she decided to try to talk with them. Maybe they would see the same flaws in their plan as she did. As she approached, however, her eyes locked onto one of the men before rage flowed through her. Standing next to two others she didn’t recognize, was the man May had been… playing with unintentionally.

Growling, she stormed over now, not so much caring for their wellbeing as to chew the man out. “Hey, you pervert! What do you think you’re doing?” Instantly all three froze before their eyes shot open in surprise having not been caught by the child that had held them captive but the larger girl she seemed to keep company with.

Staring up at the towering amazon (to them), the first man she recognized looked at her shocked before scowling. “What the hell does it look like? We're getting out of here.” Crossing her arms, Claire glared bitterly at the man before nodding.

“Fine, get the hell away from here. I don’t want you or your friends near May!” Smirking, the men nodded not caring one way or the other why the woman in front of him was there before taking off in the opposite direction. Clenching her fists, the shrunken girl bit her lip now feeling her anger bled away a bit.

Should she have stopped them? Sure at least one of them deserved something horrible to happen to him but what of the other two? Stomping her foot, she groaned before shaking her head. Running over to the still retreating men, she caught up with them quickly before jumping past them and blocking their way forward.

“H-Hold on… Where do you all plan on going, have you even thought this through?” Seeing the confusion evident on their faces she thought as much. “L-Look, I know what happened to you must be tragic, b-but I know for a fact that child up there is looking out for your guy’s wellbeing’s. If you run away now, do you think you’ll survive for even a day without her help?”

Smiling now as she saw her words reaching their better judgment she was about to continue before the first man stepped forward. “Hey just let us leave alright. Anything’s better than being with that crazy bitch. She’s killed dozens of people already!” With his words seemingly snapping his friends back, they both nodded before they started running, or at least tried to tell Claire stepped in front of them darkly.

“What, did you just call May…?” The supposed leader of the three looked up at her confused before he paled as he saw the hateful glare he was being given. “Don’t, you ever! Call her a bitch! She’s the most sensitive and gentle child I’ve ever met! If you so much as say even one thing negative to her again, I’ll…” Trailing off angrily, Claire just shook her head.

She was bluffing. Her anger was there but she didn’t think she could harm somebody else. She was a pacifist for a reason.  Before the conversation could escalate any further, a large shadow soon loomed over them all, however, drawing their attention upwards.

Paling, Claire jumped backward in shock just in time as a massive foot landed where she just stood but seconds before. Gasping in horror, she looked up to see May groggily standing over her looking around confused. Taking another step forward, adrenaline kicked in at the last moment causing Claire to leap out of the way again as the weary toddler wobbled forward.

“C-Claire… where are you? *yawn*…” As she continued to walk around and look for the shrunken girl, she failed to notice the toppled over box on the floor, or the red smear next to it. Groaning painfully, the brunette looked over at May before her eyes locked onto the two running forms near her.

She was a few inches tall and she just barely made it away from the pinkette’s colossal barefoot that almost crushed her… but the two one inch men currently screaming in terror weren’t as lucky. Looking back where she had just been, her heart sank now as she saw what remained of one of the men.

‘S-S-So this is what they meant…’ Looking up at May’s confused face she could tell she didn’t even realize what she was doing to the tiny men currently fleeing from her. Gulping, Claire bit her lower lip before crawling to her feet.

“MAY, DOWN HERE!” Flailing her arms, the shrunken girl cursed angrily. It seemed she was too tired to even hear her. Running forwards to what very well looked like suicide Claire locked her eyes on the two men before attempting to reach them in time.

“Hey, come over here I-“ Claire was suddenly deafened as May’s left foot slammed next to her, the sound causing her ears to ring from how loud it had been. Falling backward, the brunette cried out in fear as she rolled away barely avoiding the toddler’s toes, which pivoted as she turned back around.

As the two men looked up at the now looming shadow they had just barely escaped, their screams lasted for but a moment before the pink haired child’s foot fell over them, their tiny forms being flattened within seconds, to the point she didn’t even feel them at all.

Coughing painfully, Claire looked up in tears before screaming. “MAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!” She suddenly froze now before turning around. “Claire? Where are yo- AHH!” She cried out before her right foot stumbled onto her pajama bottoms causing her small form to fall forward… right over Claire.

Clenching her eyes, Claire waited for the painful feeling to hit her knowing there was no way she could make it out from under her in time, but the only thing she felt was the light shove of fabric against her form pushing her backward.  Crawling to her knee’s, the brunette looked up, still in tears as she saw May’s fallen form just centimeters from where she had been tossed.

Shuddering, she shook her head in disbelief. Her hoodie had to have hit her just at the right moment… That was a one in a million chance of happening though… b-but she was alive… Cupping her mouth, she shook her head before wiping away her tears.

She had been scared before, more times than she could recall in the past few days but this had been the only time she saw her life ending like it almost had. Shivering, she stayed still as May slowly leaned up, a light whimper following her voice.

“Owe… not again…” Rubbing her bottom lightly, the prone toddler looked around confused before her eyes widened. “CLAIRE!” Scampering over her wooden floors, she looked around before her eyes locked onto the red smears in front of her.

“C-C-Claire…” Feeling her eyes tear up, May screamed before crying loudly. Looking up at the wailing child, the brunette grimaced before walking over towards her, trepidation evident in her movements. However after each footstep she took, her eyes softened before she smiled sadly up at her.

“MAY!” Sniffling, the pinkette looked around confused before she felt something tugging on her pajama bottoms. Looking downwards, her face suddenly brightened before she clutched Claire for dear life, tears once again falling down her cheeks as she hugged the startled girl into her chest. “CLAIRE!”

Smiling softly, Claire buried her face into the crying child’s chest. “It’s alright May, you don’t need to cry anymore, I’m fine.” Sputtering as she tried to control herself, she nodded slowly before lifting Claire upward to look at her, almost as if she wasn’t really there to begin with and she had to reassure herself.

“D-Did I, did I hurt y-you?” she stuttered as fear gripped her. Giving her a warm smile, the brunette shook her head before rubbing her hands along May’s. “You didn’t hurt me May, everything’s alright.” Scanning the shrunken girls face now, May’s mood soon brightened before she happily hugged Claire once again.

“I was so worried! I, I thought I lost you… w-why weren’t you with me anymore?” she whispered in a pleading tone, causing the brunette to frown. Sighing quietly she told May what happened knowing it wasn’t going to be a pleasant conversation.

By the end of it like she assumed, May was in tears again, leaving the shrunken worker to comfort her as best she could. “Shhh, May it’s fine. T-They were bad men, you don’t need to feel bad about what happened. You didn’t do it purposely.”

Sniffling, she rubbed her runny nose on her sleeve before nodding sadly. Looking over at the large hole she had been covering, she whimpered before moving the fallen box back in place. She’d have to fix it so this wouldn’t happen again…

Moving back to her bed now with Claire in hand, May soon crawled under her covers before clutching the brunette tightly. “Please try to cheer up. You know it was an accident. Please?” Nodding, May frowned before rubbing her wet cheek against the shrunken girl.

“I’m just sad that something almost happened to you… I don’t want you to go away… P-Please, tell me you won’t leave me…?” Feeling her heart strings tugged once again, Claire smiled lovingly at the little girl in front of her before nodding.

“For as long as I’m around, I’ll always be here for you May. I promise.” Seeing the small smile appear on her lips now, she listened quietly till she heard her breathing slow signaling she had fallen back asleep before Claire sighed.

‘Even with someone as gentle as May things can still happen… to me or others…’ Frowning, she tucked herself into the blankets surrounding her before cuddling herself into the child. She knew she wouldn’t be getting to sleep for the rest of the night after what she just witnessed.

She could only hope the events of tonight were the last of her life or death run-ins. But deep down she knew better… she was still going to have to deal with the following events leading up to the twins master plans…

Closing her eyes, she rested tiredly. She was exhausted after that. Letting her mind wander for a while, it soon found its way back to the twins, haunting her for the rest of the night that followed… The next days were only going to get harder from this point on… and she didn’t know if she’d be strong enough to survive what would happen next…

Chapter End Notes:

And, chapter complete :)

I'll try to get on with the next one asap, and if worst comes to worst and i procrastinate, i'll get some help from my loving mentor again xP

Please review and tell me if you liked it or hated it, i want to know what i can change!

bye guys!