- Text Size +

Hanging On by a fingernail

The moment the drawer moved, Julian saw Josh pitch forward and he was on his feet, racing along the inside lip at the bottom of the cabinet. When the drawer halted partway out, he crossed to the thicker unfinished wooden guide running under the center of the drawer. He harbored no illusions he could actually get up into the drawer, but is he could reach the plastic guide at the bottom of the back of the drawer, he might be able to hitch a ride out of the dresser itself. From the sounds of the commotion, he knew they had definitely capture Josh. He was almost to the guide when the drawer began to move again. In a last ditch act of desperation, he flung himself at the opaque piece of molded plastic, fingers scrambling to catch purchase. Got it. Securing his grip as best he could, he was dragged along the upper surface wooden drawer guide, silently praying he didn’t pick up a splinter. The drawer was tilted then pulled free. Hanging by his hands, he was lifted out and away, turning in midair, the momentum of the drawer causing his body to swing, compromising the integrity of his grip. Hurry, hurry, hurry, he mentally urged as the drawer was being lowered toward the floor near the bookcase.

Fingers slipping, he dropped almost a dozen feet to the carpet, the drawing blocking sight of his fall. Rolling to his feet, he pressed back hard against the drawer and using it for cover. Heart pounding, he let out a short breath.

He could hear both the sounds of Cadence inspecting the contents of the drawer as well as the dialogue between Faith and Josh. That didn’t sound positive at all.

Unless he made a ballsy run toward the book case, he knew he would be discovered the moment one of them lifted the drawer. Could he make it? If they were focusing on Josh or looking inside the cabinet, maybe. Then what? Hide. But for how long? Really? No food, no water. Alone. Leaning there against the outside back of the drawer, in the absurdity of what was happening, he had a moment of enlightenment. He was alone. Above everything else, he didn’t want to be alone. When he was sitting in the bowl after Faith had relieved herself, it was agonizing being by himself with nothing but his own imagination to keep him company. The things he could endure as long as he was not alone. It was a paradox of sorts. He didn’t have much use for other people, but he didn’t want to by himself. He chuckled to himself, wondering whether or not the sudden light bulb moment stemmed from the fact as a child he was deathly afraid of the dark?

Afraid or not, he was a pragmatist. His whole speech about how long the last could ride was based on the fact they would be two against the odds. Now alone, he needed to devise a new and alternate plan of action, switch gears and come at them in a way they wouldn’t expect. The words he had spoken to Josh, ‘Go out on your terms and have some fun along the way’ came back to his mind. A crazy notion struck him and made him smile. It was time to have some fun.

“Here goes nothing,” he verbalized, still grinning to himself, he put his hands behind his head and interlocked his fingers before walking out from his concealment behind the drawer.

It was kind of funny in an ironic way, Cadence was closer, but neither girl actually seemed to see him. Moving further away from the drawer, he kept his hand where they were, like the time the cops he and Rip were arrested. “Hey, down here you big blind broad,” he hollered.

Cadence’s head turned, followed by Faith.

“Fuck, I don’t think I could have made it any easier,” he chirped.

Cadence responded first, reaching toward him quickly with her right hand, though when he just stood there unmoving, she slowed her approach, placing her hand down on the carpet in front of Julian and exchanging a glance with the blonde.

Faith grinned and shook her head before shrugging, Josh still in the palm of her own hand.

Unlocking his fingers, Julian climbed into Cadence’s palm, the fresh scent of lotion clinging to her smooth skin. “It’s a good thing you’re pretty, because fuck,” he said with a mocking chuckle as he settled in the center of her hand.

Lifting her hand, Cadence repositioned herself and held the slender man between Faith and herself.

“I must say I am puzzled by this sudden act of capitulation on your part Julian,” Faith commented, manicured eyebrow arching.

Josh looked over, shaking his head and spreading his hands, mouthing the words “What the fuck?”

Julian held his left hand out toward Josh before looking up at Faith and shrugging, “I heard the whole conversation between you and your surprisingly hot mom and figured you might be interested in a little proposal of sorts,” he offered.

“Well now,” Faith said, grinning at Cadence. “What exactly is it that you had in mind?” she inquired returning her eyes to the tiny man in the dark haired girl’s hand.

“Before I unveil my devious scheme, I want some assurances for me and Josh,” he stated directly, looking over and winking at Josh.

Laughing out loud, “You are in no position to be making demands or asking for caveats,” she quipped back, tone thick with mirth.

Shaking his head, he held both hands up to her, “Sweetheart, not demands, I would like you to consider it more of a request,” he clarified, grinning affably. All Cadence had to do was close her fingers and he was done. He certainly harbored no delusions about who held the power in the situation.

“Consider me intrigued,” she said. “Let me hear what it is you’re proposing before I consider offering any type of assurances,” she added.

He seemed to ponder a moment before nodding, “Okay,” he said, bringing his hand together and rubbing them.

 

Chapter End Notes:

PLease feel welcome to share some thoughts, feelings or input. It is always very much appreciated! Thanks