- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

Here we meet Drake's closest friends, and also a few bitter enemies

The bus ride to school was as typical as any, especially in the middle of fall. Upon arrival to school I was met with my childhood friend Ricky. He wasn’t really much with the ladies although he did have a crush on plenty to suit him for a lifetime. He was about as tall as me at 5’8” but he was extremely lanky where I was simply average. He had short, spiked up black hair that made him look a bit spastic along with his dark brown eyes. However, what he lacked in looks, he made up for in friendship. I honestly can’t find anyone more loyal and trustworthy. Poor guy had a rough life starting out. No mother, father drank a lot and was a total ass, no siblings either. Sometimes I wonder what keeps him driven. I mean, once I met him, I suppose I gave him more purpose. I’d fight off the bullies for him. I felt like if I didn’t who would? I may be a nerd at heart but I am fierce when it comes to my friends. Kaylee understood why I was friends with him so she came to accept him as well. I guess we sort of adopted him so to speak. Getting off the bus, he comes up to me huge grin on his face.

“Oh shit, what did you get into this time,” I ask as I am walking up to him.

“Duuudddeee you won’t believe what shit I have just found!”

“Oh dear, did you discover another group of tribal alien hamsters,” Kaylee asks as she stopped beside me.

“Hey! They were not tribal alien hamsters. They were just alien hamsters. But anyways, I found the secret to ending world hunger guys!”

Kaylee and I both glanced at each other in concern. Not because of what he said, but the fact that it did not involve aliens.

“Go on,” we both say simultaneously while also reaching up and mildly slapping each other on the face.

“So you guys remember the hidden creek we found out behind the school? Well I found this cool looking rock, except it’s not a rock, it’s more of a device. I think it must be alien or something!”

At that, Kaylee and I both nodded to each other in approval of the word ‘alien’.

“At that I am gonna go guys. Love you bro I’ll catch you at home. Ricky please don’t zap him into space or get him abducted. I really wouldn’t want to have to call in some favors from our “other” family.” She smiled and continued towards the school as Ricky stared on wide-eyed.

“Come on she’s kidding dude, we don’t have any alien family,” I laugh as I pat him on the pack. “Now show me what it is you’re talking about.”

“Ok dude, so I am not sure how it works, but I do know that I was eating a burrito yesterday, and I was poking around with it and it lit up briefly and just ZAP! And then the next thing I know, my burrito was twice the size as it was now!”

“Okay, wait, you mean it doubled the size of your burrito? And this is supposed to end world hunger how?”

“Dude isn’t it obvious? You just take a piece of food and figure out how to increase its size by more than just simply double, and then you give it to everyone man!”

“Well while you make a good point, what if the device only makes things up to twice their size?”

“Well, I haven’t thought about that but maybe it could be modified.”

“Right, so you get a neat alien device and you decide the best thing to do is tamper with it? What if it zapped your house? Or even you?”

“Oh it’ll be fine! I am sure there is a reverse switch somewhere.”

“Well good luck with that man, just try not to blow up our planet.”

At that the bell rang and we were going to be late for class. Ricky is very OCD so he doesn’t like being late at all. He made a track worthy spring to his class and that’s when I noticed something fell out of his back pack. I rushed over and picked it up but by the time I looked up he was long gone.

“Eh I’ll just give it to him after school.”

Looking down at what he dropped my eyes were swollen in disbelief. What I was holding happened to look like a convincing rock, with strange patterns on it. I can’t believe that this is the one time Ricky wasn’t just being paranoid. Holy shit.

I put it in my pocket and proceeded to my class. I always liked my first class of the day. My other close friend, Jessica, was there. If I was late, she would always save me a seat so we could always sit next to each other. Kaylee is convinced she likes me, which may be true, but it’s hard seeing her in such a way. She is extremely intelligent, shows very adamantly that she holds disgust towards sexual advances made towards her or anyone for that matter. She is a true typical goody at heart. The whole reason we became friends in the first place was because she saw me struggling at 4th grade math. Ever since then we became close friends. I will say she was gorgeous though. Long, curly brown hair, with an average body build. However, her body features were voluptuous. I have caught myself starring at her ass quite a few times before, along with half of the guys that have classes with her. Her legs were not muscular but they were something to notice. She enjoyed wearing plain blue jeans, with whatever top she felt like wearing that day. She had golden brown eyes to compliment her hair and had about average C sized breasts.

Upon entering the class, she smiles at me the whole time as a walk to my desk beside her and sit down.

“Hi Drake,” she says with direct eye contact.

“Hiya chick, what world problem is your brain going to solve today?”

She laughs subtly and joins into the joke.

“Oh I was thinking about finding out how to create interstellar travel. But that’s only for during my lunch break, the real problem is to figure out how to solve world hunger.”

I chuckle a little and say, “Well I think you should get with Ricky on the interstellar part, he has been dying to see aliens.”

“I’ll be sure to enlighten him the minute I figure it out,” she smiles and winks.

At that moment the teacher comes into class and begins to teach History.

The rest of the day went by pretty routinely. However, during the last class of the day I felt something vibrating in my pocket.

“Oh yeah the thingy.” I say to myself.

I request permission to go to the restroom being as the vibrations were getting more violent and it was starting to make noise.

As the teacher acknowledged me I could go, I head to the bathroom and head into the back stall. Sitting down I take out the device to see if I can figure out a way to shut it off.

I twisted a nob, then the device flashed three times and an automated voice spoke out in English.

“Size enhancer mode disabled, now switching to size reduction mode.”

What the hell? This isn’t something alien, this is something made by us!

But why the hell would it be out in the middle of nowhere, and why does it have also have a size reduction setting? Does it mean shrinking?

The device stopped vibrating after I accidentally changed the setting so I placed it in my pocket and went back to class. After the final bell rang, I placed the object into my bag and headed to the buses to go home. I met up with Kaylee who had her usual care free look on her face and asked me, “Sooo dear brother, did you have any noteworthy tales in your travels today?”

Lying to her, I simply said, “Afraid not dear sis, as it appears the dragons only come out at night.”

Heading onto the bus we both took our seats and headed home.

Chapter End Notes:

Hmm so what did Ricky actually find in the woods that day?

Guess we will find out soon enough.

Thanks for the input so far guys, please leave more reviews and let me know what you guys think. I also welcome suggestions.