- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

Apologies for the lengthy delay... the goal now is to sitck with this one to the end.

Road Trip and Old Acquaintances

Prior to leaving Larissa’s house, Samantha phoned ahead to alert Thomasin of their intent and the urgent need to see Agnes. She shared the strange components of Oliver’s vision and the experience of Larissa not-Larissa.

While Larissa was a loose end, Sam had to take the girl’s assurances of silence on faith, as there was naught she could do.

Choosing to take her car, as Cady’s had more than likely been compromised, Sam put the girl in the passenger seat, the clear plastic container holding Oliver, Stan, and Deacon on her lap. They had lined the bottom of the container with tissue paper in the hopes of making it more comfortable.

Driving as cautiously as she could, Sam drove to the safe house where Agnes resided. Pulling into the driveway and p to the side of the house, she parked. Disengaging the seatbelt, she looked to Cady, “I don’t mean to be impolite, but could you wait here, maybe keep an eye out for anything out of the ordinary?” Sam asked, extending her hand to receive the disposable container.

Cady looked down at Deacon then back to Sam, “Odd, like a container full of tiny shrunken men? I think maybe it would be best if I tagged along,” she replied.

“If we get nabbed in here, everything is lost, everything. Please, if you could just be our eyes,” Sam pleaded.

Looking down at Deacon, who offered the girl a nod, she relented and passed the container gently to Sam.

Giving the girl her cell number, Sam exited the call, circling around to the rear of the house where there was a secured door requiring a 4-digit code to facilitate entry. Tapping in the code, she opened the door and walked in.

Waiting there to greet her, “Sam,” Thomasin greeted with a warm smile, eyes drifting down to the clear container in her hands.

“Thomasin, it is good to see you. This is Oliver, Stan, and Deacon,” she introduced, naming each of the tiny men.

The raven haired beauty smiled, “Welcome, you are safe here,” she assured.

“We need to see Agnes right away,” Sam conveyed.

Nodding, “I know, this way, she’s waiting for you,” Thomasin replied, taking Sam to see the shrunken woman.

Agnes stood on the antique table in the private library, standing in front of the dollhouse.

Kneeling down, “Agnes,” Sam said, setting the plastic container on the table and opening it.

Looking at Sam, Agnes smiled, “It is good to see you,” she replied, eyes drifting on the men as they climbed out of their portable plastic conveyance before drifting back to the dollhouse. “While I know time is of the essence, I think it important for you to come out Cam,” she called.

At the sound of his name, Cam appeared.

Seeing his friend, alive and unhurt, Oliver nearly stumbled trying to get to his friend. Even though both boys were naked, they came together, fiercely hugging each other. “I thought you were gone dude,” Oliver exclaimed, breaking the embrace.

Jubilant, “That makes both of us man, I thought for sure I was a goner,” Cam replied, not ashamed by tears starting to spill down his face. “I thought once my wretched bitch of a sister got ahold of you, you probably weren’t long for this world.”

“I just can’t believe it,” Oliver expressed, the swell of emotion in him threatening to break free, “how, how on earth did you get out of Cerys?”

Shaking his head, “I chewed my way out,” he jested. “No, I honestly don’t know but I’m pretty sure she puked me up.”

Stan arrived, followed by Deacon. Oliver made the introductions.

“As much as I would like to let you get reacquainted, I need to know what you saw, experienced, spare no detail,” Agnes instructed.

Oliver shared everything he could recollect as Agnes furiously made notes and illustrations. After he was done, he was not sure what she might have made of the information.

Moving to the other side of the table, Agnes summoned Thomasin. Pointing at an ancient looking tome on one of the higher shelves, “That one,” she instructed.

Taking out the massive book, Thomasin set it cautiously down on the table. “What page?” she inquired, opening the aged manuscript.

“Four hundred twenty, twenty-five,” she stated. Turning to her four shrunken male companions, she looked at Cam, “This might take me some time to piece together, why don’t you take the others in and get some food,” she suggested.

Nodding, Cam took the guys into the dollhouse. Sam’s phone call provided Thomasin enough time to put together a platter of comestibles for the guests.

After a half dozen books and a handful of Google searches on Thomasin’s phone, Agnes looked up at the two enormous women and smiled, “I think I know what she was trying to show Oliver,” she said.

“Where?” Sam asked.

“Nova Scotia,” Agnes replied.

“Canada?” Thomasin inquired, a frown appearing on her face.

Agnes nodded, “Everything aligns with Inverness, Nova Scotia. There are legends predating the town to a fairy hill in the area called The Shean,” she replied.

“And you think it might be a barrow holding the goddess?” Thomasin asked.

Spreading her hands, “I cannot say for certain,” she cautioned.

“So what do you we do and how does Oliver fit into all of this?” Sam questioned.

Agnes paused for a moment. “If interpret this right, Oliver will be required to enter the barrow and lift the wards binding the goddess,” she explained.

Shaking her head, Sam frowned, “So what it sounds like you’re saying is that Oliver has to go to do this,” she stated.

“I believe so,” Agnes answered.

“Alright,” Sam acknowledged, “I’ll take him.”

“Given your mother’s involvement and how this is all unfolding, in my opinion, I think we would have an improved chance of success by having Thomasin take him,” Agnes suggested. “You would do well here to protect Stan.”

“He’s my son,” Sam countered.

“And you may very well be on a watch list, thereby increasing exposure and the possibility of putting your son at jeopardy. Thomasin can move more freely and we both know she is very capable. She will do everything in her power to care for him,” Agnes assured, nodding affirmatively as if punctuating her faith in the younger woman.

Letting out a big breath, Sam nodded slowly and turned her head to look at the beautiful brunette, “I trust you,” she said softly, her plea for safety of her son unspoken.

Thomasin nodded slowly, “Given the urgency, by airplane I presume?”

“Yes,” Agnes confirmed.

Hugging Sam, “I promise, I will get him there,” Thomasin pledged. Disengaging from the embrace, “I’ll start packing right away,” she responded.