- Text Size +

“Uhh…” Eli stopped himself from pointing out the obvious: a bathtub didn’t count as a hot tub.

Ashley closed the bathroom door, cutting off his only exit from the claustrophobic space. It wasn’t exactly small, probably twice the size of his apartment bathroom, but it was a bathroom nonetheless — not a place he frequented with members of the opposite sex. Unless he counted Winter, which he didn’t. She was human after all.

“I know it’s not an actual hot tub, but it has jets.” Ashley stuck her hand in her pocket and removed a scrap of yellow paper. She unfolded it and handed it to him.

Pretend you’re talking to me about something else because they’re listening. I’m trapped in this town and want to leave. The Council said I could move to a binding free zone, but they lied! I’m desperate and scared. Can you help me? Please!

“Um…” Eli read the note a second time, swallowing hard as his mind digested the surreality of the situation. “I don’t —”

“You don't wanna try the hot tub?” Ashley paled.

“I do —” How the hell could he talk about a hot tub as a metaphor for...for what? A girl who wanted to run away from home? Or a...a prisoner who wanted to escape from prison?

“I do want to try it, but I left my bathing suit at home,” he said. “Maybe my sister can help.”

“Would she?” Ashley asked, hope returning to her voice.

“I...I don’t see why not,” he said, wincing at his own hesitation. “She’s always got spare clothing.”

If anyone were listening in (the council perhaps?), red flags would be popping up all over the place. He couldn’t imagine a more awkward conversation, but it wasn’t his fault. He never claimed to be James frigging Bond.

“Cool!” Ashley said. “I’ll just run back to my house and grab my suit. I live in the one with the pink flowers out front.” She produced a pen from her other pocket and wrote:

I’ll be waiting in the backyard.

She plunged the pen and paper back into her pocket, took his hand, and proceeded quickly toward the front door. Outside, Winter lay on her back in the street, kids climbing her hands like a jungle gym. One, a boy with a green shirt and no shoes, scaled her hair, working his way up toward her forehead.

After exiting the building, they parted ways, Ashley crossing the crowded street quickly toward her house, Eli making a beeline toward his sister’s ear. His stomach tightened with dread as the cold realization of his actions seeped into his brain, but Ashley depended on him and he wasn’t the type to ignore someone in need, not if he could do something about it.

By this time, the green shirt boy had completed his ascent, leaving Winter’s ear somewhat free from eavesdroppers. Eli hoped this mysterious council didn’t have access to his necklace. He had the mic turned off on the darned thing, but who knew what they were capable of. He’d only just heard of their existence, but to deny someone like Ashley her freedom, they must be pure evil.

He sat down on Winter’s ponytail close to her ear, but in nonchalant way, a way he hoped didn’t look suspicious. Luckily his mom and Elona appeared to be engaged in a conversation about binding techniques, Elona using various members of the audience for demonstration purposes.

“Pretend I’m not talking to you,” he said. “Wait! Don’t move your head. Pretend I’m not talking to you. It’s important.”

Winter’s hands froze with kids in various states of clambering over them, but thankfully, she didn’t say anything in direct response to his warning.

“Ashley needs our help. The council won’t let her leave and she’s desperate to escape. Can you put her in your pocket or something? She’ll be in the backyard of the house with the pink flowers out front.”

He waited.

“Open your mouth once for yes, twice for no.” He could see her jaw from this angle — pretty clever if he said so himself.

She opened and closed her mouth twice, like a fish gulping for food.

“I’m serious!” he said. “She’s terrified of the council and we have to do something to help her. We can take it to the news stations — maybe even YouTube. Something isn’t right here! Just look at how Elona handles everyone, how they’re crowding around like zombies.”

Ok, that last part was a stretch. The crowd mingled like folks at an outdoor bar-b-que, not like zombies. But they’d all been confined in their houses earlier, seemingly forced outside at Elona’s request. Something did seem wrong about it.

Winter opened her mouth and closed it. He waited for her to repeat the movement, but she didn’t.

“So you’ll help?” he asked.

She opened her mouth once more.

“Ok, ok ok.” He tried not to hyperventilate. “I’ll distract Elona and Mom. You get Ashley. If you pull this off, I promise I’ll do whatever you want for a day.”

One fish gobble - she agreed with the plan. Though he’d been this close to her face on multiple occasions, the angle of the sun made the fine hairs on her cheeks highly visible. Weird thing to notice at a time like this, but at least it helped get his mind off what he was about to do.

He ran out in front of the crowd and waved to Elona. “Hey, can you show me the other side of the yard? I’m afraid to go there by myself.”

“Of course.” She wrapped her hand around Eli and lifted him as she rose to her feet. “It’s perfectly safe, though I can understand your hesitation. You’re not used to being outside.”

“Mom, can you come with us?” he asked, hoping he didn’t sound too contrived.

“Sure,” she said, standing.

“You’re lucky,” Elona said to Mom. “At his age, my sons didn’t want me anywhere near them in public. Then again, as a premie, he’s naturally more dependent. The good thing about Premoria is that he’ll get to choose his level of dependency.”

“Oh yeh?” Eli asked as they walked toward the other side of the yard, an area with significantly less houses and taller patches of grass. “You mean I’ll get to choose to live in the binding free zone?”

“Well, there are multiple.” Elona’s encompassing hand gave him a squeeze, not a binding squeeze, but one that could mean anything from affection to irritation. “Some allow periodic bindings to occur on specific days. Some prohibit binding altogether. But essentially yes. If binding isn’t your thing, you can choose to live in a zone where it’s prohibited entirely.”

“What about these necklaces?” Eli tugged at his, realizing not for the first time how he’d never been able to remove it. Though not tight around his neck, it couldn’t fit over his head and he couldn’t undo the clasp himself. Winter had a special device used to remove it, but she rarely did. “Can I choose to not wear one?”

“I’m afraid that’s illegal, even in Premoria,” Elona said. “If you somehow managed to remove it, we’d be fined for negligence and forced to give you an implant in addition to the necklace.”

“Honey, it’s really for your own safety,” Mom said. “Imagine what would happen if you got lost.”

“Or sick. Or any number of things,” Elona said. “The tracking necklace monitors your vital signs in addition to your location. If you need medical attention or rescuing, any watcher in the vicinity will be alerted. It’s a wonderful piece of technology and has saved countless premie lives.”

“It also invades our privacy!” Eli waited for the inevitable — for Elona to bind him into submission for his outburst. But she didn’t.

“Yes, I suppose it does,” she said. “As much as a baby monitor invades the baby’s privacy. And honestly, premies are in far greater need of protection. For example, a baby could fend off a kitten. You couldn’t. A baby’s cry could be heard across a house. Yours — “

“I get it!” Eli said. “But the difference is I’m not a baby!

“Eli!” Mom said, then to Elona, “I’m sorry for my son. He’s —”

“Oh, no need to apologize,” Elona said. “We get premies like Eli all the time. It’s dehumanizing, we’re impinging upon their basic freedoms after all, especially the right to privacy. But eventually they realize they’re not human. We’re discovering more every day, profound differences at a genetic level. In fact, premies may represent a step forward in evolution, though it’ll be a while before we’re able to understand — ”

“A step forward?” Eli said. “After comparing us to babies, you’re saying we’re more evolved? I’m less than four inches tall! How’s that a step forward!”

“And the dinosaurs were dozens of feet tall, yet they went extinct,” Elona said.

She relaxed her grip and he fell into a standing position on her free hand, steadying himself against a couple of her curled fingers. Her hand descended and came to rest against a low lying structure filled with water, and Eli stepped off onto the concrete rim.

“A simple bird bath to us is a small pond to you,” Elona said. “In this country most have enough to eat and drink, but food and water is scarce elsewhere. Imagine a world where people no longer died from starvation or thirst. Imagine a world where crime and violence didn’t exist, warfare a thing of the past. While this may never be possible for humanity, it is entirely possible for premies like yourself.”

Eli sat on the edge and dipped his hand in the clear water. It was cool and seemed drinkable. “Not true. If a nuclear bomb hits anywhere near Premoria, we’re instantly as much a part of the war as the rest of ‘humanity’.”

“Actually,” Elona said. “We’ve accounted for the possibility and taken measures to ensure your safety in such an event. I won’t go into specifics, but let’s just say it would take a lot more than a single nuclear explosion.”

“Is this why you wanted to see the backyard? To interrogate poor Elona?” Mom flicked her finger in the water, splashing his legs.

“No!” He leapt to his feet and ran away from the spray, but he couldn’t run far as the rim was still too high for him to jump to the ground. Then he remembered Ashley. He’d almost forgotten is true goal!

“Well, yes,” he said. “Maybe. And I’m still not done asking questions.”

“I like him.” Elona laughed. “I wish more premies would ask questions like Eli.”

Winter appeared in the distance, approaching with the carrier at her side. Was Ashley in there? If so, where would he sit?

Selfish thought. He’d manage somehow. The important thing was to help her escape.

“I’m getting hungry,” Winter said. “How much longer ‘til we leave?”

“Me too!” Eli patted his stomach. “Didn’t have any powder this morning.”

“You two make it sound like I never feed you,” Mom said. “I wouldn’t be surprised if Elona calls CPS on me.”

Elona smiled. “If you’d like, we can eat together. I know a cozy hybrid restaurant on the outskirts of town where visitors are welcome. Perhaps you’ve heard of it — The Helping Hand.”

“Oh, is that where premies and humans can eat together?” Winter said. “I’ve read about it. They even have premies on staff.”

“They do indeed,” Elona said. “Premie employees help take orders, serve the food, and bus the tables. You really have to see it to believe it.”

“That’s cool, but I really think we should just go to Burger King or something,” Eli said. “Right Winter?”

“Oh,” Winter blinked, her mind clearly working to play along. “Yeh, we’re trying to save money.”

“It’s on me,” Elona winked at Mom who looked to be about to protest. “Besides, premies eat free so it’s not as expensive as you’d think.”

“Oh, well I suppose we could join you then,” Mom said. “Thank you. You've really gone out of your way to make us feel welcome.”

“It’s not every day we get a minor celebrity like your son visiting,” Elona said. “You may not be aware of it, but much of Premoria’s youth watches his videos. They like how he perseveres in them, continues on in spite of defeat. He’s quite brave.”

“Seriously?” Eli said. “I just get embarrassed again and again. Where’s the bravery in that?”

“Well, you’re facing impossible odds,” Elona said. “Like your latest video where your sister put you in the sock at the bottom of the staircase —”

“What!” Mom said quickly followed by Winter. “She did that?!”

“The sock was clean,” Eli said. “And she promised I wouldn’t have to exercise for the next two days if I made it to the top of the stairs.”

“Where was I?” Winter’s eyes bulged at him.

“Taking a nap after your vaccination,” Eli said.

“Oh yeh.” Winter frowned. “She’s not supposed to do YouTube without me.”

“Well, you have to watch it. This little guy somehow cut through the sock and made it halfway up the staircase before time ran out.” Elona poked him gently in the chest. “It may not seem like much to a human, but for young premies, he’s an inspiration.”

“I’m still going to have a word with my daughter,” Mom said. She didn’t look pleased.

Elona chuckled. “So how about that lunch?”

“We’d love to,” Mom said. “Right kids?”

“Right,” Eli said, unable to think of any more excuses. “Can’t wait.”

***

Winter held the carrier in front of her stomach as she walked, hoping her mom and Elona wouldn’t turn around as she followed behind them. She preferred to wear it over her shoulder, but she couldn’t risk bumping it into another pedestrian, not with one of her passengers unsecured.

Ashley had insisted on leaving the seat available for Eli and Winter hadn’t argued. If anyone got hurt, she’d rather it be Ashley. The thought of causing her brother physical injury was simply too much to bear, even though, technically, this entire idea had been his.

It went against all of her instincts as a watcher. He’d essentially forced her to become an accomplice to...to kidnapping! Premie-napping? He’d better make good on his payment of being her slave for a day. Willing slavery seems a lot more appealing than binding-induced ‘slavery’ for reasons she couldn’t quite identify (and reasons she’d never openly admit).

After finally reaching the restaurant (they’d had to park a couple blocks away), Winter gawked at the sheer number of premies around and the variety of their carriers. Every human seemed to have a premie companion, some seated in shoulder harnesses, others dangling from chairs around human necks. The creativity made her portable apartment look dull in comparison, as if she were arriving at a fashion show dressed down.

Premies eyed her carrier, as if trying to see inside. For obvious reasons, she held it with the glass side facing her stomach. Like the kids at the Reid residence, premies sought each other out, often ignoring human presence, though she suspected she did the same to them on occasion. Even when they used her body as a jungle gym, the interaction wasn’t personal, at least not on the same level as what she shared with her brother.

They were shown their table by a short, stocky girl wearing a premie on her wrist. The premie, a male in his early twenties, directed them to follow with exaggerated arm gestures. He wore a bright orange vest and held a baton in one hand, a miniature version of what they used to land aircraft. Unsure if the display was intended for amusement, Winter stifled a giggle and took a seat by the wall.

She set the carrier on the table and opened it (facing the wall), allowing Eli to exit. He walked out and, while stretching, nodded briefly to her. So long as no one attempted to look in the carrier, Ashley should remain hidden until they got back to the hotel. Who knew what they’d do then. She’d rely on her brother to think of something.

He always did.

***

Eli had no idea how he was going to get through this without revealing the stowaway. Winter, for her part, hadn’t done anything wrong. Transportation from the car to the restaurant couldn’t have been any smoother. With nothing more than the back of his chair for balance, Ashley hadn’t fallen once. Still, if he could’ve given her his chair without increasing risk of discovery, he would’ve.

It was all about risk at this point, planning which moves to make next, which paths to take. He’d already decided he’d get his mom in on the action, as soon as they ditched Elona. Mom wouldn’t be happy, but she wouldn’t want Ashley to suffer in captivity. Ultimately, she’d help with ideas and execution.

What wasn’t helping was this ridiculous restaurant. He sat at a premie scaled table in the center of the human table, his back facing a gargantuan set of condiments. Winter cast nervous smiles at him before her eyes jumped back to the menu, while Elona and Mom discussed the possibility of visiting the city proper.

“I think we should visit a binding free zone first.” Eli spoke as loudly as he could to make himself heard above the ambient noise. “I’d like to see how they live.”

“Well, I’m afraid you’ll have to schedule it ahead of time,” Elona said. “As you may expect, they don’t allow many human visitors. Generally, you have to apply for a visit online and they only admit humans escorting premies.”

“Sounds like a place I’d like to live,” Eli said. “Wouldn’t have to worry about giant tourists walking through my neighborhood every day.”

“It also means your family would have much less access to you,” Elona said. “They’d get to see you a lot less often and only on designated visitation days, usually once a month.”

“Once a month!” Winter said. “Can’t we just move to a house like the Reid family, one with a premie living facility in our backyard?”

“Sure, if you reach rank four,” Elona said.

“I’m almost rank four,” Winter said.

“Sweetie, I’m not sure we could ever afford to move out here.” Mom placed a consoling hand on Winter’s shoulder.

“Actually.” Elona eyed the menu. “If you host a microenvironment, the wages of premies can be used to help offset the mortgage.”

“You mean, we’d get to tax them like the government?” Winter asked, looking significantly less distraught.

“Certainly,” Elona said. “You’d be providing them a service, so it’s only fair to be compensated.”

“That sounds...too good to be true,” Mom said. “Why don’t more people do it?”

“Well, there are plenty of volunteers, but premies can be quite picky,” Elona said. “You have to showcase your family in an online application, an interview of sorts. If enough premies want to move from the city to suburban microenvironments, families with the most votes are selected.”

“Like running for President,” Winter said, her eyes wide.

Elona laughed, but she didn’t look up from the menu. “Yes, a little.”

“Ready to order?” a waitress asked.

Everyone nodded and placed their orders. Everyone except Eli. Worse, they didn’t even seem to notice his lack of an order — too busy discussing what amounted to premie fiefdom. Elona mentioned it would be easier for them to acquire enough votes given Eli’s minor celebrity. Great. At least his status on YouTube could be put to some use, though he questioned the morality of it.

A premie waitress hopped off a tray held by a human waitress, and delivered his food directly to him. Similarly, a set of four premie men delivered the human food. They did so by pushing and pulling a wheeled cart loaded with a sandwich or fries or whatever the side happened to be. As expected, this took several minutes. Winter reached for her panini too early, presumably to help out, and Elona chastised her. Not until they’d brought the food all the way to her plate was she allowed to relieve them of the burden.

By the end of the food delivery ‘ceremony’, the men were slumped and sweating, but still wearing tired smiles, as if they’d been given a binding only minutes earlier. They probably had been, judging from the way the human waitress eyed them possessively.

After they’d loaded back onto her tray, she said, “If you need anything else, just let Remy know.” Then she was off, leaving Eli’s premie waitress, presumably Remy, standing near his table like a personal maid. She even wore a pink maid-like uniform, with short sleeves and a mini apron adorning her skirt.

Though miffed at not being given the opportunity to order, he couldn’t complain at the outcome. The veggie burger tasted like real meat and the fries like they were cooked in real oil. It must be saturated in premie powder, but the tell-tale sweet taste was muted, reminding him of the salty and savoury flavors he’d once known.

“This is really good.” Winter spoke while chewing a bite of her sandwich.

“I’m still amazed at how they delivered everything,” Mom said. “I feel I ought to tip more. They worked so hard.”

“It’s on me, remember?” Elona said, taking a bite from her corn on the cob. She swallowed. “Besides, premies are compensated separately. The city owns this establishment along with several other tourist attractions and premies working at them receive a fixed salary.”

“Sounds like socialism,” Eli said before stuffing a few fries in his mouth. He really ought to save some for Ashley, if he could find a way to get the food back to her.

“Well, that’s the goal,” Elona said.

Eli choked on a fry, drawing Remy’s attention. “Do you need help?”

“No.” Eli waved her off, then gulped his water. “Went down the wrong pipe.”

“I could use your help though.” Elona’s hand landed nearby, open palm up. “Corn always gets stuck.”

“Yes, ma’am.” Remy boarded without hesitation, then was lifted to Elona’s face. The human woman’s mouth opened and Eli did a double take.

“You’ve got to be kidding me.” Eli blinked, hard, but it didn’t change what he witnessed. Remy had her arms deep inside Elona’s mouth, picking at her teeth, depositing the contents of what she retrieved on Elona’s awaiting tongue. When finished, Elona closed her mouth around Remy’s arms and sucked for several seconds.

“Mmmmm,” Elona said, lowering Remy back down to the table. “Wonderful palate cleanse. What diet do they have you on?”

“Seventy-five percent powder ma’am.” Remy wiped her arms down with a lemon scented towelette she pulled from a waist pouch.

“Amazing!” Elona said. “I’ve heard of seventy before, but never seventy-five.”

“I’ve worked hard to build my tolerance, ma’am.” Remy blushed, then bowed.

“You two absolutely must give Remy a try,” Elona said. “I promise you’ve never tasted anything like it.”

Mom bore a confused look on her face. “Oh, I don’t know — ”

“Hello!” Eli stood now, waving his hands. “Does anyone not see how crazy this is? She literally just used her as a toothpick!”

Elona laughed, a sound Eli was starting to detest. “It’s her job, Eli. She’s here to serve us. In fact — ” Elona’s phone buzzed and she looked down but continued talking. “I’ve gotta take this. Remy would you mind explaining to Eli? I’m sure he’ll believe you more than me.”

Elona slid out of the booth and walked toward the door leading outside.

“She’s right.” Remy deposited the towelette in a small receptacle near the condiments. “I volunteered for table service. I love getting the opportunity to interact with humans so close up.”

“I read about it,” Winter lowered her hand down to Remy. “Many premies are born small nowadays. They’re as fascinated with us as we are with them.”

“I live on the west side.” Remy stepped onto Winter’s hand. “I never even saw a human until my senior field trip. Instantly, I knew I wanted to be in the service industry. I get paid doing what I love. My sister’s jealous, but she still has one more year of high school before she can apply.”

“Wait.” Eli approached, signaling Winter to keep her hand down. “You’ve already graduated high school? How old are you? Why do you like humans so much.”

“Yes. Nineteen. And what’s not to like?” She reached out to touch Winter’s curled finger. “They’re just like us but bigger. How can you not like them?”

“It’s not that...I mean...it’s just…” He fumbled with his words as Remy rode Winter’s hand upward.

“You really don’t mind?” Winter asked.

“It’s my pleasure, ma’am.”

Winter giggled as Remy extended her right arm, touching upturned lips, then inserted it beyond those lips as they parted. Smiling uncontrollably, Winter’s mouth closed around the waitress’ arm and sucked.

“Mmmmmm.” Winter continued sucking, her free hand coming up to press the premie closer to her mouth. As if on cue, Remy inserted her other arm, face turned sideways pressed against giant lips. Winter’s eyes closed as if she were in heaven.

“Wanna try?” Winter asked Mom after finally removing the half drenched premie from her mouth.

Mom shook her head. “I still can’t get used to the idea.”

“Neither can I!” Eli said as Remy returned to the table. “What do you do if it’s an old dude with bad breath and missing teeth?”

“I’m a professional,” Remy said, then conspiratorially. “Binding helps.”

“My mouth is so clean now.” Winter blew a gust of air at Eli. Indeed, it smelled like some fruity air freshener one might find dangling from a rearview mirror.

“More effective than Listerine and better tasting too.” Remy curtseyed.

“Mom, we ought to increase Eli’s dosage.” Winter giggled. “Imagine what we could save on toothpaste.”

“Funny.” Eli returned to his seat, crossing his arms.

Mom seemed about to say something but Elona, having returned from outside, interrupted her with a tap on the shoulder. “Mind joining me in the bathroom?”

“Oh...sure.” Mom said, rising. “Is something wrong?”

“Just need to discuss something with you in private.” Elona glanced at Eli. “Should only take a moment.”

After Mom followed Elona to the bathroom, Eli jumped from his seat. “Shit! She knows!”

“How?” Winter asked looking concerned. “I removed her necklace.”

“She probably has an implant,” Eli said. “Elona mentioned some premies get them. Fuck!”

“Are you two discussing what I think you’re discussing?” Remy asked.

“We’re helping someone escape from Premoria,” Eli said, pacing. “But I think Elona’s on to us.”

“I’ll pretend I didn’t just hear that,” Remy said.

“What do we do?” Winter fidgeted in her seat. “Are they going to arrest us?”

“No ma’am, not you.” Remy reached out and gave Winter’s finger a squeeze. “Where is she?”

“In the carrier.” Eyes downcast, Winter looked about to cry.

“It’s ok. You just need to return her,” Remy said. “I know Elona. She won’t arrest you.”

Ashley came running out of the apartment, stopping at the edge of the table, about to jump. “I’m not going back to that place!”

“Quick,” Remy said. “Bind her.”

Winter caught the distraught premie before she could jump. Using both hands, Winter subdued her, then bound her.

“No.” Ashley fought but her struggles weakened in Winter’s grip. “You can’t send me back.”

“Shhhh,” Winter said. “You’re calm now. You feel relaxed.”

As if by magic, Ashley’s energy drained away, leaving her limp. Winter lowered her to the table and lay her in front of Eli. The poor girl’s eyes shone with moisture, though she now seemed at peace.

“You’re very good at that,” Remy said to Winter before bending down toward Ashley. She felt the stowaway's wrist, as if checking for pulse. “Yes, she has an implant.”

“Great,” Eli said. “Well, I’m not handing her over. I don’t care if they throw me in jail. It’s not right — “

“Eli.” Winter whisper yelled, her eyes shifting to the left.

He turned to find Elona and his mom standing at the end of the table, looking directly at them.

“Well, it seems like you two already know what we’re going to talk about,” Elona said. “Don’t worry. You’re not going to jail.”

“I’m disappointed in both of you,” Mom said. “How could you do something like this? I raised you better than this!”

“Please.” Elona guided Mom to her seat. “They’ll both have plenty of time to think about their actions.” She scooped Ashley from the table. “And you young lady. You’re not escaping punishment either.” She bound Ashley. “But first wake up, remain calm and have a bite to eat.”

Ashley perked up and stood erect after being placed back on the table. She quickly joined Eli and sat, hands folded in her lap, head bowed. “I’m sorry.”

“Well, I’m not!” Eli said. “You bound her so of course she’s going to apologize. But she doesn’t want to live where she’s at. It’s unfair. You’re treating her like a prisoner.”

Elona raised a hand before Mom could speak. “Regardless of what you think, Eli, Ashley is not a prisoner, nor is she mistreated. The council reviews all premie transfer applications. There are reasons why hers has been delayed, reasons I will not go into now, but this in no way excuses your actions in aiding her escape. If she had been injured during unsecured transportation...well, I’ll not go into the legal consequences. Just imagine how guilty you and your sister would feel.”

By this point, tears leaked from Winter’s eyes. She buried her head against Mom’s chest. Eli felt his throat constricting and almost wanted to do the same, but he tried to stay strong.

“Your sister’s a level three watcher,” Elona said. “She knows better. And you’re her older brother. You should’ve known to come to me first or an authority before attempting kidnapping.”

Eli grit his teeth, face growing red. He wanted to say a million things but his mouth wouldn’t budge.

Elona sighed. “I’ve spoken with your mom. Premoria will not file any charges against either of you. You’re both minors and, thankfully, Ashley hasn’t been injured. Instead, you’ll both remain here, in Premoria, for a week performing community service.”

“What!” Eli said.

Winter’s tear stained face reappeared, looking up at Mom. “We will?”

“Sweetie, it’s just for a week.” Mom caressed the side of Winter’s head. “Elona has a nice family to take you in and you’ll be able to work toward your next rank.”

“What if we refuse?” Eli said.

“Well, you do have a choice,” Elona said. “But if you choose not to perform community service, you’ll be charged with kidnapping and prosecuted as a minor. You’ll be found guilty and will be spending a lot more time here — in a youth correctional facility.”

“He’ll do it,” Mom said. “And so will she. Right Winter?”

“Mmm hmm.” Winter sniffled. “I’m re— really so— sorry”

“It’s ok, sweetheart.” Elona reached across and squeezed Winter’s hand. “I think you’ll enjoy it. But first, how about you share how sorry you are with your brother. It seems he still needs a little convincing that what he did was wrong.”

Winter nodded, then her hand swept toward Eli. He ran, but she caught him with ease, clammy skin wrapping around his arms and legs.

“Noooooo…” He squirmed as she squeezed him, binding him completely.

“You’re sorry too, right Eli?” She asked, still sniffling, though her frown had faded. “Tell Elona you’re sorry for what you did.”

Remorse crashed into his consciousness like a tidal wave, erasing the ache in his muscles but replacing it with guilt and regret. His determination and resistance melted away like a distant memory.

He understood why Winter felt so remorseful. He’d placed Ashley in danger and broken rules designed to protect premies. Instead, he should’ve gone directly to a watcher. They would’ve known what to do. So much bigger and more powerful than himself, they understood how to protect, how to keep premies happy. Why had he doubted?

“I’m sorry.” He blurted, tears falling now. “I — I didn’t mean to. I — “

“It’s ok,” Winter said, hugging him against her moist cheek. “It’ll be ok.”

Chapter End Notes:

Picture: http://fav.me/dbexspc