- Text Size +

Quanesia was doing her best with staying under the radar.
She was on her way back to her father in Oregon, but her progress was slow.
She bought the essentials and a backpack to carry them in, including new clothes and a phone. She knew not the search anything suspicious or log into her accounts for anything as to minimize her chances of getting caught, but she figured it was a good idea to know the routes, bus schedules, pathways, and motels on the way home. 
She browsed and scrolled through some sites to pass the time while on the bus. She needed a form of income, just so that the money Jimmy gave her doesn't run out.
"This bus is going to a location with a university. Perhaps my ability can be useful there. Students needing a person to do their work for them is a struggle I can find profit in." She thought. "Afterwards, me and my father can escape, and I'll be back with my mother. Of course, I can't really believe that this plan is foolproof. After all, they know me and so they know who my father and mother are... Hmmm... I need a contingency plan..." 
Despite her polymath ability, she was still driven to do things by emotional connection. Her father was a number one priority for her and she'd do anything for him to be safe with her, and now that she had become a polymath, she could do a multitude of things to make it happen.
"Perhaps Jimmy's hacking capabilities had a point, I can use it to my advantage. I do wonder about how things are going with him."
Just then, she saw an article on an online news magazine.
"Phoenix, Arizona. 
Cyborg in the Dark?
Four criminals say that they've been thwarted by a "Cyborg" during a blackout in a small town outside Phoenix.
Karim Fernandez, Trevor Townie, Michael Murray, and Gary Boyle are said criminals in question.
They say that a person with metallic arms and legs that was wearing a mask was responsible for knocking them unconscious and handing them to police.
Witnesses say that they were making the story up and that security guard John Tenpenny is the true hero that stopped the robbery, whereas Gary Boyle was said to be under the influence of cocaine and other drugs at the time of his arrest.
Whether this "Cyborg" is real or not remains a mystery."
Quanesia didn't need to be a polymath to figure out that it was most likely Jimmy that the article was talking about.
"Speaking of, it looks as if he's up to more good. Good to know those abilities went to a responsible, albeit reckless, person.... Hmmm..."
She pondered more and had a thought.
"I wouldn't be here if it wasn't for him... I want to help him but... My father... Such a conundrum..."
But after a minute of thinking, she had her answer.
"If I could find a way to contact him, I can help while I'm on my way to Oregon. Learning even the most advanced hacking procedures will take me hours at most! Then it'll only be a simple task of triangulating his location via any contact device he has... If he has one, or perhaps satellite. Whichever way works fastest." She thought.
She knew that a university would have a library and internet connectivity so she was on the right track to helping Jimmy.

"General? We have a sighting on what we think is the rogue Neo-Human in Phoenix. How shall we approach?" 
"Quickly and discreetly. Send an undercover team to catch them. And if they can't, try to plant a bug on him. Send them out with reinforcements just in case."
"Affirmative, General."

Jimmy was now on the other side of Phoenix after a day of driving.
Tracy was in the back, nearly finished with her trashy romance novel as she ate at the back of the car. Fortunately, Jim didn't eat as much food as he used to, so it balanced out.
For the time being, Jimmy parked the car and was just doing nothing. Some minor thoughts came to him, like going to the laundromat to get his and Tracy's clothes cleaned and what to paint on his mask. But his main thought was Tracy's plan once she got back to Oklahoma.
"So... once we get there, to your home I mean, what next? You can't live in hiding forever Tracy." 
She looked up from her book and thought for a moment.
"To be honest... I didn't want to think of that... Mostly because... I don't know."
She put the pocketbook aside and Jimmy slid over to the back of the car so he can talk to her properly.
"It woulda been easier if I was like you, or the others... but I'm not. If I could go to my normal height, I'd be solved, but... This… This superhuman thing didn't work out for me as well as it did you..." She said sadly.
"Things in my life didn't go in a good direction either. Sure the technopathy is good, but..."
"But what?"
"I've done some things that I really don't want to think about..."
"Me too... and I really prefer not to think about it either but...you need to sometimes."
"The things we did, huh? You wanna talk about it?" 
"Okay... Well... It started a week after I found out my daddy passed away... I couldn't sleep and I was a wreck."
"Go on..."
"Well... some girls in my class were making fun of me. It was a regular thing that happened and I usually just ignore them but... I was so torn apart that I stooped down to their level, lower than that, actually. And it wasn't even their fault because they didn't know, but... When one of them said, "Run back home to Daddy!" And laughed... Well..."
Jimmy held Tracy's hand and nodded.
"As she walked away, I grabbed the back of her head and slammed her face into a locker. Then, when I let her go, she fell to the ground with a bleeding cut across her forehead. It wasn't her fault, but I made it personal... I felt like such a bad person after that..."
Jim put his other hand on top of Tracy's and saw her eyes beginning to water.
"I got a week of suspension for that, and that poor girl had to get seven stitches on her forehead. Then she got a nasty scar once it healed. My mom was so disappointed, and I knew my daddy would be even more if he was still around..."
Tracy began crying and squeezed Jim's hand tightly. A bit too tight for Jim as it caused him some pain, but he endured it to speak to her.
"Tracy, it's okay... I don't know what it's like to have a proper father figure but, you regret what you did. You reached your breaking point. You do some very regrettable things when you snap, I understand that! A little too well..."
"Was... Was it something about... Your family? I know you... You’ve got some issues... With ‘em." Tracy said between sobs.
"When I was sixteen, on my birthday, I found out that I was only a bastardized son... My biological father wasn't the man I grew up with. But honestly, I would've preferred if I didn't grow up anywhere near him."
"Right... You told me about him..."
"Yeah. Not exactly father of the year."
"But... Who was your real dad?"
"Some guy named Barry that lives in Canada. I don't really know him that well. We went bowling one time but that was pretty much it. So that's my situation. I got a father I didn't want and I don't even know my real dad... I know it's not that big a deal but... It bugs me a lot."
"No! It's a big deal for you. I understand that. We've both been through our own hell."
"Yeah... That's how I met Jeffrey. After paying for new documents, I moved into my old apartment and I didn't have much money. But he helped me out and we talked... Then things got deep after a few days. The world dealt us a pretty bad hand... I'm surprised we still turned out good after all we've been though..."
"Jim..."
"Sometimes... I feel like I wasn't even meant to exist."
"Jim..."
"Yeah?"
Tracy pulled Jimmy in and gave him a hug. Her eyes still watery from crying.
Jim's eyes began to well with tears as well.
"Jim, don't you ever think that! In this world, good people always get the short end of the stick and that sucks. But they're the only ones people that need help, like me, can rely on. And when they're down, they'll be the ones that have the friends to help them back up!"
"Thanks..."
"You know... You can stay with me in Oklahoma. You've been so helpful that it's the least I could do now that your basically homeless."
"I don't want to intrude. I mean, it's your family and I'm just some guy."
"No you’re not. I can convince my family to let you stay."
"I'll... Think about it... What about your boyfriend?"
"I'm sure he'll be fine with you staying too."
"I doubt it..."
"I can talk to him. He can't say "No" to me."
"I'll consider it when we get there."
"Please do. Not keeping you around would be a big mistake."
Jimmy just hugged her and they both enjoyed the little moment they had with one another.
Little did they know, makeshift checkpoints were being set up around Phoenix and black sedans were being deployed to the streets to find them. The sedans all had EMP detectors to track Jim and all major roads leading out had men that had to inspect the inside the car along with the driver's ID, and they also had EMP detectors on them.

Jeffrey was on a bus, he decided to go against what Jimmy told him and decided to follow him and Tracy to Oklahoma. He packed his essential belongings and left the apartment after he told the landlord that he was going to go on a trip and paid them a month in advance. 
"I'm coming bro, whether you like it or n-"
His thought was interrupted by the phone Jim gave him ringing, he pulled it out and answered the call.
"Jimmy?"
"What the-? Who are you?!" Quanesia said.
"I should be asking you that! How the hell did you get this number?! Who are you?!"
"Before I answer..." Quanesia paused for a moment and whispered a question "What's Jimmy's power?"
"Who are you?! This is the government, isn't it?!" Jeffery whispered back in an angry tone.
"No! Look. I apologize that we got off to an unpleasant start. My name is Quanesia, I'm one of the people that Jimmy... Set free from the island in San Francisco..."
Jeffery knew she was talking about Alcatraz. He still couldn't believe Jimmy pulled that off. But he remained sceptical and whispered back in a calmer tone.
"What's Jimmy's power?"
"He's... A technopath. His eyes are blue. And he gave me a walkie talkie to divert the attention of the armed personnel."
"Okay. I imagine that you're the Jamaican girl he talked about. So, what are you doing?"
"I attempted to contact Jimmy after discovering this network. I must say, he encrypted this very well, took me an hour to get through with my phone, nearly overheating it from how much processing power it took. And no, you're not compromised."
"Uh... Okay... So, you're the polymath, huh?"
"Yes."
"Okay, just tell me the thing you really wanted me to do."
"Help Jimmy. I can keep the network safe. I can warn him of danger. And all from a distance.”
"Okay, I see you're trying to do good. You know... You think you can... Find where he is and send me the location?"
"Why?"
"I'm on my way to him and I plan on a more hands-on approach to help my brother out."
"Okay... Hold on..."
Jeffery thought that his luck couldn't have gotten any better now that he was about to get a huge help from Quanesia on tracking Jim.
"Wait... We need to call him! NOW!"
"Wait, why?!”
"There's a government-only network that's been recently active all around Phoenix! They could be onto him!"
"Alright! I'll get him in the call! Shit!"

Jimmy was currently driving, he was on his way out of Phoenix, completely unaware of the government checkpoint that he was heading towards.
His phone rang and he answered while putting it on speaker.
"Jeff? What's up?"
"No time to explain, bro!"
"Jimmy. It's Quanesia! You need to know that the government is on to you!"
"WHAT?!" Tracy shouted in shock.
"Yeah, what?! And Quanesia, how did you get into my network?!"
"No time to explain!"
"You need to watch out bro! You and Tracy might get caught!" Jeff warned.
"Oh shit!" 
"Jim! Don't let them catch us!" Tracy said frantically.
"I won't! Just let me think. Uhhh..."
"They'll be expecting you on the main roads and streets, you must find an alternative route." Quanesia said.
"Any ideas guys?!"
"Turn back and hide out until the heat dies down?" Jeffery suggested
Jim slowed the car considerably while they were thinking up of a plan.
"Sounds okay, but we don't have a place to stay. And I can't exactly check into a motel with Tracy!" Jim said
"Well... What about Mika?" Tracy suggested.
"What?!"
"Jim, we can stay with her until this blows over!"
"Oooh... She lives where the guys that saw me are arrested in. I'm sure the government would be ALL over that place considering they're putting up checkpoints."
"Uuuhhh..." Jeffrey said in confusion.
"It's a long story." Jim answered.
"Hello! We're still tryin' to think of a plan!" Tracy called out
"Okay! Okay… I have an idea. If there's a checkpoint, that means that there's bound to be traffic because cars are going to be examined one by one. So… I can hack a car to lock the driver in and run the checkpoint as a distraction while me and Tracy slip through." 
"Sounds solid. Just make sure there's no children onboard." Jeff said.
"I see many risks with this plan." Quanesia added.
"I highly doubt there's any other plan anyone can think of that doesn't comprise us or leaves us stranded here in Phoenix with the government combing the place!" Jimmy shouted.
Momentarily, the car went silent. Everyone but Jim tried thinking of a plan but they couldn't think of one that would work to Jim's demands.
"Look. I'm sorry I yelled. But there's just so much stuff all at once that I can't focus. Now, do we agree on my plan? Tracy?" 
"I trust you Jim." She said with a smile.
"Jeff? Quanesia?"
"I'm with you man."
"There's a lot of risk factor in this plan. But it's the only one that conforms to your needs."
"Then it's decided. We're going with my plan. Let's just hope I don't end up in a car chase."
"Uh... Bro, I think you just jinxed it..." 
"Come on Jeff, that's just BS." 
"Excuse me." Quanesia said "Now that everyone is cohesive and collective, I have a question; Tracy, why are you with Jimmy?"
"Jim's helpin' me get home. Since I can't blend in and all. Ever since we broke out."
"It would make sense. I just didn't expect Jim to help you. I did assume after Alcatraz that he'd be wanted and would want to be on his own to increase his chances of not being caught."
"She asked me to help, and I couldn't just leave her. I was the only one there that knew her and she stands out too much to move around on her own."
"Yeah, I'm just glad Jim here agreed. I reckon I'd still be clueless in San Fransisco if he didn't help me." Tracy answered.
"Your form does make it difficult for you to go across large distances without being noticed."
"Yeah..." 
"Okay. Jeff, Quanesia, great to hear from you guys again but I need to hang up now. At this point, we cannot afford to be suspicious. Thanks for the info. Anything else to say?" Jimmy said.
"Nothing at the moment."
"Me neither, man."
"Okay, hanging up now then. I'll call you guys when I pass the checkpoint. See ya!"
"Good luck man"
"Agreed. Good luck Jimmy."
Jimmy blinked and the phone hung up. He let out a long sigh as he collected his thoughts.
"Why?!?"
Tracy looked at him and felt guilty. She felt like it was her fault Jim was going through all this. Quanesia's question reminded her that Jim was doing all this for her, and so, the stress she's currently seeing him go through is also thanks to her. 
"Jim..." 
Jim lifted his face from his hand and looked at Tracy with a forced smile.
"Yeah?"
"I'm sorry I've been too much trouble... I haven't been doing anything but relying on you since day one..."
"Tracy, it's okay! It may have gotten harder, but I can manage this! Just trust me!" Jim said frustrated.
"Jim, look at yourself! You're all stressed out all because of me."
"It's okay. Really. There's just so much! I just need to relax and get my shit together..." 
Jim stopped the car once he was at the traffic build up. He took his hands off the wheel and started rubbing his temples. His hands were shaking a bit, a normal thing that happens to him when tired or stressed.
"Oh God..."
"Jim..."
Tracy reached over to him and turned his head so he would look at her.
"I... I'm sorry for being such a burden... I'm surprised you didn't ditch me in that warehouse..."
"No... Look... it's easy for me to get overloaded when there's too much... I should be the one saying sorry... I'm venting my frustration and you're absorbing all of it... I-"
Before another word was uttered, Tracy kissed Jim on the cheek.
"That's to make up for all this... I know it ain't much, but... From now on, I'll carry my weight. Help you out instead of add to your problems... it's the least I can do for you Jim."
Jim was dumbfounded and wasn't able to speak. It was like he was in a trance.
"Jim?"
He snapped out of it when the car behind them honked it's horn.
"Guh! Shit! Crap!"
Jimmy drove the car forward to close the gap.
"Sorry but... I didn't expect you to kiss me..."
"I think you've done more than enough to deserve it, Jim."
Jim blushed until his face was practically red.
"Oh I'm so confused! L-Let's just talk... after we get past this checkpoint, okay?" 
"Yeah, sorry if that was a bit sudden. But you were just-"
"I-It's fine... It's fine..." 
Jim spaced out a bit and lied back against his seat. After a few moments to breathe and calm down Jim was regaining his composure. After more than fifteen minutes he neared the checkpoint.
"Okay... Fingers crossed... Good thing the guy in front of us is a road rager. They'd buy him trying to rush though this..."
"Okay. You gonna be okay for this Jim?" Tracy said in a concerned tone.
"Yeah... Just let me do this..."
Jim took out his phone and got closer to the car. He managed to connect to the computer of the car and hacked into the systems after a few minutes.
"And now, we wait..."
They slowly inched closer to the checkpoint and eventually the car in front of them was next. The checkpoint had three men there dressed in navy blue suits that resembled protective police gear, gloves, boots, bullet proof vests, and they were armed with Wilson Combat Border Patrol Shotguns. They checked cars by having two of the men check the undercarriage with curved mirrors on long poles while the other one asks the driver for their license. After that they scan for EMPs before checking the inside of the car and trunk for anything suspicious.
The car in front of them was driving up to the checkpoint, from the honking throughout the entire time he was in traffic Jim could tell he was impatient.
"I'll speed things up for you then..." Jim thought as he hacked the acceleration and made the car drive straight passed the checkpoint. But before the car could get far, something went wrong. The car stopped moving forward and slowed down to a stop only 20 feet away from the checkpoint. Jim tried hacking it again but it wouldn't work. 
"What the hell!? Why isn't this working!? What's going on!?" 
The men had a device with them that could jam communications, and disrupt technology. It was usually used by the military to disrupt enemy communications temporarily before an ambush at a target enemy compound. They had a smaller version of it that only worked on devices within it's shorter range. But it was this device that was rendering
Jim's powers over technology useless. 
"Shit! SHIT!"
"What is it?"
"Something's messing with the enhancer's computer. I can't hack the car anymore! And it's not far enough for us to slip unnoticed! Shit!"
The three men ran over to the car to question the driver.
"Maybe if I gun it?"
"They'll see us!"
"I don't have anything else left to do! I need to gun it!"
"Oh God!"
"It's that or they see you and we get shotguns pointed at our faces!"
With that, Jim slammed his foot on the accelerator and sped past the men at the checkpoint.

"We got a runner!"
"Get to the motorcycles! After them! Go, go!"
All three of the men got onto two military-grade dirtbikes parked by the checkpoint and chased after Jim. 

Jim saw them coming after him in the rear view mirror.
"SHIT!!!"
"They're onto us!"
"I know! Come on you stupid car! FASTER!"
The car went as fast as it could on the road but the motorcycles were faster.
"Fuck it! I can't lose them! Tracy, this might get a little bumpy!" 
"Jim what're ya doin'?!"
"We're gonna get out of this! I swear!" Jim said as he quickly put his mask on.
Just then, one of the men drove up to them on his motorcycle and spoke into a radio attached to his vest to amplify his voice.
"Pull over!"
Jim promptly gave the man the middle finger.
"Take him down!" The man yelled into the radio.
On the other side of the car, the two other men on one motorcycle drove up. The man riding at the back pumped his shotgun and fired a slug shot at the tire of the car, thus exploding the tire.
Jim lost control of the car and swerved off the road. 
"HOLY SHIT!" Jim screamed as the car lost balance and flipped over.
"JIMMY!" Tracy could only brace for impact as she sensed the car flip onto its side.
As the car crashed, Jim hit his head against the driver side window with enough force to knock him out and shatter the tempered glass. 
Tracy, on the other hand, was very shaken up but still conscious. She checked herself and saw a few bruises on her arms and she was a bit dizzy, but otherwise she was fine.
She turned her attention to Jim whom was hanging by his seat belt. 
"Jim? JIM! Jim! No! Please no!" 
She checked his pulse and was greatly relieved that he was still breathing. But something else caught her attention…
She heard the motorcycles stop right next to the car and the men pump their shotguns.
"Jim! Jim please wake up! Please! They're here! Jim!" She frantically said as she shook his unconscious body.
"Shit! Jim please wake up!"
"I hear you! Come out with your hands up!"
She tried removing the seat belt from Jim but her fingers were too big to press the button.
"Aww, come on, goddamit!"
"I won't ask again! Get out of the car!"
Tracy didn't have many options, Jim was out and she was surrounded in a totaled car. 
"Okay... there's only one way outta this now Tracy." She thought to herself.
Tracy thought about getting bigger and slowly her body began to grow.
With her growing strength and adrenaline coursing through her veins, she kicked the rear doors of the car straight off their hinges.

The men outside were shocked by this, yet proceeded slowly. Unbeknownst to them all, a dust storm was heading towards their area and would hit them in a few moments. 

"Get out of the car! NOW!"
They heard some noises come from the car then an enormous pair of legs come out of the car. Soon Tracy crawled out with Jim still in his seat and the bags in her arms before standing up.
"Ma'am... uh... put the seat down and come with us!" The man said nervously as he looks up to the enormous blonde.
"No! You're gonna let me go! Or else I'm gonna kick you boys into the next state!" Tracy said as she started growing faster, she felt her bones and muscles stretch and expand rapidly and it wasn't very pleasant for her, but it was better than the burning sensation from the first time she grew.
In just a few seconds Tracy grew to more than twice her height, already she was uneasy with seeing everything around her seemingly shrink but what was very strange feeling was having Jim in her hands and feel him getting smaller in her arms. Her clothes were now just tattered cloths draped on her body, but surprisingly, her bra and panties were still intact. 
"Oh shit..." The man said as he dropped his gun out of the shock of seeing an already towering young woman grow even more massive. The other two men also didn't know how to handle the situation and just kept their guns aimed at Tracy. 

Tracy reached a towering 35 feet tall and still continued her rapid growth.
"Y'all seen enough? I can crush you all under my feet like bugs! So come at me if ya like!" She said angrily. She didn't like talking like that, but she figured scaring them was a good idea.
But her bluffing was interrupted by some strong winds bowing behind her, she turned to see a massive wall of dust and sand coming right for her.
She knew that this was her only chance of escape so she quickly ran into the dust storm with Jim and their belongings in hand.
The men tried to shoot her legs, but the buckshot bounced off her skin. This caused Tracy a lot of pain but it just motivated her to keep running. Soon enough she was in the thick of the storm the men followed her but due to the lack of visibility, they went around aimlessly and ultimately lost sight of her.
"WHAT THE HELL WAS THAT?!" One of them yelled.
"I don't know! But we lost her!"
"They'd better have a damn good explanation for this!"
"We need to get back! The dust storm's getting heavy!" 
The men all agreed and rode back to the direction where the checkpoint was.

Meanwhile Tracy was wandering around in the thick dust storm. She took a piece of cloth from her shirt to cover her nose and mouth but was having difficulty seeing anything.
"Jim! Jim wake up! Please!" The now 50 foot blonde desperately said to the unconscious young man in her arms.
She didn't get a response. 
"Please! I don't know what to do! Wake up! Please!"

Chapter End Notes:

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.