- Text Size +
Characters: Adam, Fayrelin, Malkav, Siarra, Kim
Location: The dungeon of Felwinter
Day 4 - 2:20 PM

Adam leaned against Siarra’s cheek with his legs tucked into his chest as the darkness of the cell washed over his skin.

“This is insane,” he whispered. “They can’t all have forgotten. Our minds can’t be programmed to believe in this fantasy. We breathe, we think. We’re not wires and bolts.”

Suddenly, there was a small explosion. Followed by another. Adam jumped up, grabbing the mace that stood next to him, and looked around. His eyes first landed on the closed door, but there was nobody in the hallway.

“Pssst!” came a voice from below.

Adam tightened his grip on the mace and stepped over to the edge of the straw bed, gazing down into the darkness of the dirt floor. “Who’s there? What do you want?”

There was no response. He leaned down closer, now on his knees, but he still couldn’t make out anything through the shadows. Just when he was about to turn around, something pushed him from behind. He slipped. Down he went, screaming as something latched onto his back and landed on top of him, burying his face in the dirt. Then he heard muffled laughter.

“You should’ve seen your face!” someone giggled. Even through the clods of dirt in his ear, Adam recognized the feminine pitch in the voice. He groaned. The creature moved off his back and offered a hand to Adam, who reluctantly took it. But when he saw what it was—a girl, no bigger than him—he almost collapsed back into his imprint.

“Whoa there,” the girl said, slapping Adam’s cheek three or four or ten times. “I didn’t mean to scare you. Did I, huh? Did I scare you?”

But Adam could only stare at her. She was a mousy little thing, with big ears and an even bigger nose, and dirty red hair that couldn’t be messier if she stepped into a tornado. But she was cute. Her eyes were big and her smile was full of the mischief and gentleness of a child. She couldn’t have been very old, maybe even younger than Adam, but her reflexes were amazingly fast and simple. With another slap, she shook Adam from his trance.

“Helloooo?” she said. “Don’t tell me you’re a mute. I heard you scream like a baby.”

“I…I’m sorry. You…you’re a girl.”

“Oh, my, you noticed! And I thought these knockers were only for decoration. Good thing I got them half off.”

Adam blinked. “Do I know you?”

“No, but I know you.”

“You do?”

“No, but does that scare you?”

“You’re beginning to, yes.”

“Haha!” the girl laughed and she sounded like a dying chipmunk. “But I do know you through a friend who knows you who knows me, you know?”

“What?”

“Your little Rogue buddy.”

“Malkav?”

“Yes, yes. We’re…acquainted.”

“I don’t think Malkav hangs around psychopaths.”

“You didn’t think Malkav would try to kill his girlfriend either, did you?”

“Wait, what? How did you know that?”

But the girl only smiled and pranced about on her toes. Adam watched her, his jaw to the floor and his left eyebrow in the air, and then he slapped his arms around her like a vice grip to her hold her in place.

“Who you are?” he demanded to know. “Have you been following us around?”

“Yes, yes, yes! That’s what I do. I follow you around. I am a shadow of the night. I walk in your footsteps. Yes, I do!”

“You’re insane.”

“Almost, almost.”

“No, not almost. You’re there.”

“Am I?” she said, prodding Adam’s eyes with her pinkies. He only blinked for a second, but when he opened them again, the girl was behind him, giving him a bear hug. He tried to shake her off, he tried running around in circles, but she clung in and squeezed him.

“Get the hell off me!” he screamed, rolling around in the dirt as if he were on fire. She didn’t let go. “You freak, what’s wrong with you!?”

“Aw, can’t a girl have a little fun?” she frowned.

“In another world, if you were some other girl, then yes. But not you!”

Sighing, she pushed off Adam’s back and somersaulted across the dirt floor. “Have it your way, Sir Dum-Dum.”

“…That’s what Queen Isabella called me. You were there? You were sent by Isabella?”

“Sent by Isabella?” she giggled. “Not exactly.”

“Then…who?”

“I was sent by the beautiful and clever Miss Fayrelin!”

“Why didn’t the beautiful and clever Miss Fayrelin come herself? I’d rather meet her.”

“Oh, you silly! I am Fayrelin.”

“…Terrific.”

“Isn’t it just? And do you know why I am here?”

“To make an impossible situation worse?”

“So cute! But no. I’m here to break you out.”

“Why?”

Fayrelin sighed, clicking her tongue. “Obviously this is too much for a Monk to realize. Why does a Rogue do anything?”

“For money?”

“Haha, yes!”

“So you want money?”

“No.”

“But you said…”

“This is bigger than money. You owe me something more.”

“Like what? Our lives?”

“Well, I want something with a little value. I want to survive. Isn’t that a Rogue’s dream? To see the light of tomorrow?”

“I wouldn’t know.”

“Of course not. You live for your concern in others. That’s why I need you and Malkav.”

Adam grabbed his mace, which had fallen in the struggle, and swung it over his shoulder. “Look, Fayrelin—”

“Fay.”

“What?”

“You can call me Fay. Or Master, since I own you now.”

“What!? You don’t own me!”

“You owe me your life, don’t you?”

“I… I… Wait, what?”

“I want to be called Fay.”

“Is that even your real name?”

“Does it really matter?”

“…How does Malkav know you again?”

“He chose the path of a Rogue. In doing so, he chose me as his friend.”

“Well, we can’t all make good decisions,” Adam cleared his throat. “Look, Fay, Fayrelin, Master, Chipmunk Face, whatever you like to call yourself, how did you get inside of here and how do you propose we—”

“Pirates.”

“What?”

“Pirates brought me here.”

“Pirates…”

“Pirates. Arr.”

Adam glanced around. “…Are you sure you’re sane?”

“Does it really matter?”

“Does anything matter to you?”

“If it’s worth my while.”

“And saving us is worth your while?”

“It could be. If not, I’m sure you’d make excellent slaves to the Queen. How much do you suppose she’d give me for your safe return? I don’t suppose you’d go for much, but Malkav… He might be worth a bundle of gold. I bet the girls would be worth something too, but they’re too big to go where we’re going.”

“Wait. You’re going to kidnap us…just to hand us back over to Isabella?”

“It’s a fun little game. I once had Princess Erika going three or four times before she caught on. So I decided to come to Ellewyn and try here.”

“Isabella’s not an idiot.”

“You’re probably right, but it wouldn’t be the first risk I’ve taken. Might be the last, but that’s the fun of the game, don’t you think?”

“I don’t see fun in any this. Why do you have to torture us like this? Why can’t you just let us die in peace?”

Fayrelin glimpsed over her shoulder as a blow horn echoed from somewhere outside of the dungeon walls. “Come now, that’s our call. Let’s go, let’s go. Are you going to carry Malkav or do I have to carry you both?”