- Text Size +

 

Ivory stumbled backwards off her son trying to reclaim her balance after his unnerving statement. “…Why would you say that?”

Tanner’s reserves of strength were long depleted. At times he felt life itself had a vendetta against him; stopping at nothing to knock him down and enforce his permanent residence on the ground. Tempting it was to swallow the bitter pill that he was unlucky being born into a world that became so large and he had to accept a life of complacency.  His strength now came from a different source or sources rather. Julie, Blake, Ingrid, and Gail the people who never gave up on him even when he was ready to give up on himself. He rose to his feet keeping his back turned to Ivory.

“Because it’s true.”

Ivory’s lip quivered. “…E-E-E-everything I’ve done has been for you.”

“This has all been for me?” Tanner repeated, more willing to accept the statement as a morbid joke than a serious response.

“Look at me Ivory! Look at us! You tossed out Ingrid! You crushed my house! You were threatening to crush me! You are literally trapping me in here while everyone is begging you to let me out! This isn’t all for me, it’s for you!” 

“I don’t- I don’t understand.” Ivory stammered and then snapped. “Why! Why do you want to leave me so badly!”

The moment he was waiting for has arrived where he had Ivory’s complete attention; with nothing but his words as the conduit to release years-worth of dormant frustration all barriers of cordiality and reservations collapsed for his unfiltered answer.

“Because I’m sick of this! I’m sick of it, I’m sick of it!  I’m sick of being stuck here! I’m sick of you fighting me every time I try to do anything! I’M SICK OF YOU TRYING TO RUN MY LIFE!”

After several silent seconds Ivory opened her mouth looking for words to exit and instead a chilling wail escaped as she fell to her knees, trying to wipe away at the torrent of tears cascading from her eyes.

The moment was every bit as cathartic as Tanner hoped but hearing the agonizing weeps from his mother brought him right alongside her in crying.

“Why did it have to be this hard?” He sniffled. “Do you know how many times I’ve tried to talk to you?”

“Sw-sweetie, I’m sorry I didn’t listen…” Ivory’s voice was hoarse.

“You didn’t want to listen.” Tanner corrected.

Ivory went mute again, following a hard and dry swallow she gathered herself enough to ask the one question plaguing her mind. “Why do you want to leave here Tanner? Why do you want to go back into the world? I remember how much you were hurting while you were still shrinking. How sad and afraid you were. Every time I found you alone crying because someone picked on you or because you didn’t know how small you would become or if the shrinking would ever stop. All the times I’ve held you in my arms until you calmed down… It’s so hard out there Tanner, it’s hard for anyone. But for you… I know you’re tired of me saying it, but you’re so small I don’t know what will happen to you out there, it’s so scary sweetie. You could be here with me where I can protect you… why do you want to put yourself through this?”

It's true, Tanner was sick of being reminded he was small from Ivory. But this instance did not infuriate him, her concerns were not patronizing and were genuine. In fact, Tanner agreed with her every word, the world was scary, and he didn’t know what lied ahead of him. There was one thing he did know, why he needed to leave.

“Because I need my dignity back.”

His answer was straight-forward and concise, not an iota of waiver for Ivory to detect. It was what she feared, his mind was made up.

“Tanner… please don’t leave me here alone.” She begged. “You’re all I have left. Issac is gone. Ingrid hates me… you’re all I have. Please don’t leave me.” She extended her jittering arms. “I promise sweetie, it’ll be different this time. I’ll be different. Please come here to me…stay with me.”

Tanner couldn’t’ look back now, he knew if he did, he’d cave at the sight of his weeping mother at her lowest point. With closed eyes to block his impending tears and clenched fists he hardened himself.

“I need this. I need this so much. You have no idea how much I’ve lost, how much I can never do.  How much it hurts to watch everyone advance while I’ve regressed, watching everyone live their lives while I’m stuck here. I don’t care how big the world is, I don’t care how small I am. I need to see it; I need to experience it. This needs to happen, I need this so badly, I need it like air. Ivory… this has to be goodbye. I don’t know for how long, but it has to be goodbye for now.” Tanner’s body shook unable to contain the waterworks infiltrating between his eyelids. “If you care Ivory, if things are going to be different… open the door.”

Ivory vacantly stared ahead at her son; arms still outstretched. How did their relationship deteriorate so badly? When did things spiral out of control? There was still a chance, she didn’t have to listen. She could still force herself onto him and make herself his only option until he had no choice but to accept her. Then all would be well in her world. Except it wouldn’t be. She would crush his spirit beyond repair, and he would never forgive her. Her hands trembled personifying the turmoil in her own conscience, before ultimately falling to her waist and her head dipped down.

“I love you Tanner.”

“I love you too Mom.”

Without another word Ivory rose and trudged to the door.

The foursome outside did not let a second go to waste once they heard the knob click unlocked. Rushing in they were ecstatic to see Tanner (albeit gravely distressed) unharmed. Though all of them had the same desire to comfort him, the three gave  space for his elder sister to pick him up. A disheveled sobbing Ingrid didn’t know what to do with herself or how to console her little brother and alternated between hugging against her cheek and barraging him with a series of wet kisses.

“Tanner… I’m sorry Tanner. I’m so happy you’re safe, I’m so sorry… I’m your big sister, I should’ve protected you.”

No worse for wear, Tanner was also a sniveling wreck of emotion trying his darndest to reciprocate the affectionate gestures but losing out to the more sizeable effects of Ingrid’s actions. “You’ve already done so much for me, all of you. I love you; I love all of you so much. Julie you’re the angel who has always looked after me. Blake you’re the gentlest giant who always makes me happy. Gail you’re the friend I wish I had growing up. And Ingrid you’re the best big sister I could’ve ever asked for.”

Suffice to say everyone surrounding him were in mutual bawling states and had nothing to add in words but joined in on the embrace. Alas in the overflow of emotion none of them took heed to Ivory in the background who drifted over to a nearby window and out the corner of her eye did Ingrid see half of Ivory’s torso hanging out.

“What are you doing!”

 

Chapter End Notes:

It's been a fun ride. But, next chapter is the epilogue. Comments and thoughts appreciated.