- Text Size +

If you are reading this, congratulations! You are the proud owner of a new tiny; one of the marvels of nature. Make no mistakes about it: caring for a tiny can be a difficult task, but with appropriate care you will find that it is wholly rewarding to be the owner and guardian of your own small person. Anyway, the caring part is half the fun! This guide serves as a comprehensive manual to ensure both you and your tiny can lead a comfortable coexistence, and both your lives should be enriched.

Part 1. First Impressions

Of all crucial parts in your relationship, this is the most. A wrong impression and lack of care could permanently sour your friendship, or at least extend the 'acclimatisation period'. Remember, be understanding; the tiny has been brought into their new home with a strange giant person, so they are naturally nervous, do everything in your power to make yourself seem welcoming and gentle. 

Of all horrible rumours and myths surrounding the smaller species, the myth that they are completely mute is the most cruel. Tinies are in fact talkative and friendly, but when introduced to a new environment are simply shy and reserved. When you first meet, introduce yourself, your name and age should be fine (It is quite common for a tiny to forget your name, instead opting for Mr or Mrs Human. If this bothers you simply remind them, gently, of your name). Remember to talk softly, as already your voice will be loud and booming to them. Next, ask about the tiny; their age, name, anything else you would like (but try to steer away from family topics, as most tinies are raised in facilities away from family). They are very similar to humans anyway, so they surely have some interests from their childhood. When you are acquainted you should offer food, which the tiny, likely hungry, will always accept. Ideally give them a sweet treat, which will put them in high spirits.

When they have finished their snack it is time to get more intimate. Ask if you may hold them, and in their timidness they will usually accept. This may be awkward, for both of you, but is still important for your development. Become acquainted with them now, gently stroking them or familiarising yourself with their body; do not be invasive, and NEVER touch their private areas (this includes a female's chest), at least not at this time. When you are both better acquainted with each other, give them a tour around their new home, and show them their living arrangements (check part 2). It is quite natural for the first day to be awkward, that is fine, tinies are very shy and careful, and if they have said only few words that is completely normal. For the first week, be very cautious, do not become angry or enraged while around them, keep your voice low, do not be invasive. Simple activities like watching television (volume low) or eating together are advised. After the first week, maybe slightly longer or shorter, your tiny should be more comfortable around you, the acclimatisation period is over and you can move on to things described in part 3.

Part 2. Care

Tinies, like humans, require food, water, sleep, shelter and warmth. All very basic things, and due to their smaller stature, it should be no heavy burden on you. Due to their lower metabolism, tinies require only a small breakfast and dinner, and eating with you should be the easiest way to achieve that. They enjoy the same foods that people do, and of course enjoy the same treats. So called 'tiny foods' are in no way associated with tinies and is not recommended at all. Do not overfeed your tiny, as that may lead to obesity and other health problems, and ensure that they have adequate exercise, which may be completed with you.

Like humans, tinies like nice, soft, warm surfaces to sleep on. This doesn't need to be anything special, in fact even a simple (well-cleaned) sock or other piece of clothing should be suitably comfortable. Some owners wish their tiny to sleep with them in their human bed, if this is your desire be sure they are in a safe position where you cannot accidentally crush them in your sleep, and make sure the tiny is comfortable with sleeping as well.

Something often neglected is cleaning, which is absolutely essential. A warm bowl of warm water and a piece of soap is all they need, and perhaps a custom tiny tooth brush. It is recommended you allow them to groom themselves, cutting their own hair and other such things. A complete care pack that includes all these things is available quite cheaply, and is essential for a happy tiny.

There are also several ranges of 'tiny habitats' available, which are just apartments scaled down for tinies to live in. This is the best option for multiple tinies (part 4) and, as many people find, is simply adorable.

Part 3. Mental Health

Of all creatures on Earth, none are more affectionate than tinies. The species simply LOVES physical affection and comfort, and after the acclimatisation period, will happily snuggle up with you for hours at a time. A tiny should receive a MINIMUM of one hour a day spent with you, and they really don't mind how. They will cosy up to any part of your body and sleep, hug, cuddle with it happily. This could be in the palm of your hand, your thigh, your shoulder, in your pocket: it really doesn't matter, and their affectionate nature and cute displays are the reason they are such a sought after pet. It is truly a magical feeling to have a tiny cosy up with you while you work or relax, and the love you share will between you alone.

As much as they might wish, they cannot spend all their time with their human, and, especially for those who have careers and must be absent for large periods of time, must leave them alone. This can be heartbreaking for both of you, and it is recommended you have things for them to entertain themselves with. Books is a simple answer, tinies are all educated to a high school level and happily read to entertain themselves. There also exists a range of electronic devices suited for tinies such as mobile phones and computers. In fact, there is quite a thriving online community of tinies, and there is an odd insight one can find in their lives by browsing such communities. It can be costly, but many people find installing walk ways, ladders, and other things for tinies, allowing them to traverse around the house, to be the best solution; there is quite an enjoyable experience of arriving home from work and having a tiny run to greet you. Another option for entertainment is having multiple tinies, which will be covered later (part 4).

Tinies, like humans, do not wish to always be couped-up in a house, so there are situations where you might want to bring them to the outside world. If you do, always ensure that they are safely tucked in your pocket or held, never allow them out of your sight or in a dangerous situation. The world is a terrifying place for a tiny, so be sure that you are there to comfort them, and explain any peculiar things they see. Although not in anyway stupid, tinies are naturally naive to the outside world, and in these times will look to you to best explain what is occurring, always be honest, and be patient when they are slow to grasp new things. Empathy is key!

Part 4. Multiple Tinies

If one of the cute little things isn't enough, many people keep many tinies. Having multiple tinies can be very rewarding, they will naturally become close friends and alleviate any boredom during the day, and having more tinies means more affection for you. This naturally complicates things however; do not play favourites, at all. Playing favourites is one of the more cruel things that one can do to a tiny, and is absolutely not allowed if you want happy and healthy tinies. Also, if you are introducing a new tiny to your current collection, be sure you do not overlook your current one(s), and make sure your old tinies are welcoming to the newest addition to the family. 

This is quite a complicated topic, but it is not at all uncommon for tinies to develop sexual or romantic relationships with others. Do not discourage this, as it will drive a wedge between all three, and perhaps ruin your relationship. It is simply natural for them to have a 'normal' relationship, and contraceptives can readily be purchased to ensure there are no happy accidents among your group. Also, try to avoid situations where a tiny feels 'left out', or is a 'third wheel' to the group. When this occurs it is quite easy to see how drama and depression can arise, and can be complicated to resolve. Do not fret too much however, tinies are not humans, and are a good deal more innocent in this regard; they are naturally friendly and will very rarely make enemies.

Part 5. Punishment

Although in many regards more innocent and pure than us, tinies are still fallible, and will indeed need to be punished. This should be sad for both of you, as you would never want to see your pet in discomfort. The furthest your punishment should go should be to revoke cuddling privileges, something that the tiny will definitely not enjoy. Other than that, never be physically violent or withhold food, that is abusive and cruel. 

Anyway, tinies are usually very kind and gentle, and punishments is incredibly rare.

Part 6. Miscellaneous Tips

Tinies have a specific weak spot: the space above their navel. A small tickle here will instantly disarm them and send them into a fit of hysterics; this can be used for light teasing, or even punishment if you so desire, as it offers no harm to them.

Tinies enjoy feeling useful, and will jump at any opportunity to help out their human. They will gladly braid your hair, paint your nails, (attempt to) cook and even clean spots you cannot reach. It is quite an endearing thing to check their online forums and see how much they talk about how to help you best. 

When introducing a human to your tiny, follow similar steps to part 1., as in all likelihood they will revert to their timid stage, with little talking and defensive posture. Make sure they are comfortable when meeting this new person, and make sure the person understands what they should do to best be familiar. Usually the tiny will warm much faster, but will not enjoy cuddling with this new person, that is strictly for you.

In all except the rarest situations, tinies and other pets simply do not get along. There are many horror stories of an unattended tiny becoming a meal for one such animal, and that is heartbreak many cannot bare. Although a tiny snuggling into a cat may seem a cute prospect, it is impossible to realise without intense training of the cat, and still is incredibly risky.

This may seem obvious, but tinies are exceptionally delicate and fragile, it is quite easy to accidentally injure one, sometimes even fatally. Tinies are better treated at hospitals than vets, and there are even tiny hospitals catering to them. Along this line, tinies are understanding about the humans' relative clumsiness, and are usually willing to forgive any minor injuries they may experience, so long as it is not a consistent occurrence.

Although this should go without saying: tinies are not idiots, animals, toys or anything else. First and foremost they are just small people, and they should be treated with dignity and respect. No cages, no food bowls, no collars. 

Part 7. Conclusion

Thank you for your purchase of a tiny, and we are sure that you will not regret it. Tinies are humans' natural friends, and without each other, both of us will have lost something. Be kind to your tiny, be sure to be affectionate, do not bully or be cruel, do not abuse them, and you will be fine. The tiny is a marvellous creation of nature, and bridges the precious gap between pet and friend. Your tiny is an ally, and many times you will find that your tiny has cared for you more than you have for them.