- Text Size +

No man can put a chain about the ankle of his fellow man without at last finding the other end fastened about his own neck. Elia felt the chain ripping on her own throat and as she was struggling for air all she could hear was splat, splat splat…The tears were long gone at this stage, her eyes were a pure sharp red. Elia ran out of tears some time ago and without the emancipation of tears, Elia now had to suffer seeing her dear friend Gemma’s fate all over again and again and again.. Splat, splat, splat.

 

Elia thought she was on her own. With Gemma anyway. Oh Gemma…Oh sweet kind hearted innocent beautiful Gemma, the girl with the flowing blond hair, the girl with the most beautiful smile in the whole wide world even though in the world that she lived in there shouldn’t be any reason for her to smile, but she did anyway. Gemma. Persecuted Victim, Enslaved, Murdered… Elia was shaking uncontrollably on her bed, convulsing from horror as she remembered. All Elia was doing was reading her book with her little friend perched on her shoulder reading along…Frederick Douglass, a man who suffered and enslaved because of the colour of his skin…How did it come to this? From that to this? Teaching Gemma how to read was against the law. A crime… Elia did it anyway. Whenever no one was home Elia taught Gemma how to read, from kids’ books and Gemma even got as far as reading adult books… Frederick Douglass was hard going; torture, enslavement, cruelty…Gemma knew all these things already, though Elia did her best to spare her the horrors and the hurt of the outside world. Elia showed Gemma Frederick Douglass’ book not to hurt her but to help her, to give her hope. That maybe someday the world will wake up to its madness and allow the tiny Caucasians to live lives of dignity and justice…Hope, Elia had no reason to believe in hope and she cursed herself for ever deluding herself.

 

Elia could see her father stumbling into the kitchen. Elia was shaking in horror now but she knew she should have then. Her father was drunk and out of control. Staggering around, his brown skin looked green to the gills. A man eager for a fight or for instant gratification or most likely both. Her father was quick…Too quick. He snatched Gemma off her shoulder. The tears and the screams instantaneous from the miniscule blond, Gemma knew the score right there and then, even though Elia did not. Elia ran out of her chair and mindlessly screamed, pleaded, begged her father for this one mercy, to let Gemma go, to not let Gemma become the rule and to become the exception instead. Her Father had the voice of an angel but the words of the devil as he called Gemma an abomination, white trash, bitch, slave, a nothing, cunt. Gemma’s screaming grew and grew as he held on tighter and Elia was pounding his chest as hard as she could. All Elia heard from his mouth was “Watch.”

 

Elia saw Gemma crushed immediately, her screams replaced by a squelch then silence, her body unrecognisably turned into a abattoir…This thing could not possibly be the lively, friendly, laughing Gemma that Elia knew and grew up with…Elia fell down on the ground holding her father’s legs impotently screaming, “Nooooooo.”As Elia looked down, already with tears flowing hard down her cheeks all Elia could hear was splat, splat, splat as Gemma’s blood dropped down to the ground. Elia knew she fainted and all Elia saw from her father as he walked outside as she slumped down to the ground was the blood smear of Gemma, her blood on his hands and Elia remembered nothing more.

 

The tears returned again as she laid silently in her room. The lump on her throat was so solid that she did not think that she could speak, but she said in between hysterical crying and heaving: “…And she was so small….” Gemma was so beautiful, and tiny and delicate. Whenever Elia saw Gemma’s pretty pale face with those sparkling blue eyes staring up at her, all Elia could ever feel was love and a desire to protect and cherish all of them, not just her but all of her kind, forever. Elia simply could not, will not and would not ever understand how anyone could ever dare even think about hurting and harming the gorgeous sweet little tiny whites. Elia heard all the excuses: They are tiny, their ancestors enslaved my ancestors, they don’t know any better, they are not human…Elia called them excuses because that is what they are…excuses. Elia knew Gemma was human. Elia knew that Gemma felt not only great sadness and horror but did feel great joy. Elia remembered petting Gemma tenderly to sleep whenever she woke up from a bad dream, and Gemma smiling appreciatively at her when she did so. Elia remembered all the long hours where she made Gemma dresses, good dresses from all her old doll clothes and Elia always admired whenever Gemma did her catwalk whenever she tried the completed clothes on for the first time. Elia remembered telling Gemma about her dream of full emancipation for the whites, about someday and somehow her creating an island somewhere to allow the whites to live how they want to live, to govern themselves independently and freely. Elia always remembered Gemma’s smile each time. They both knew Elia was full of shit but Gemma always smiled and insisted that Elia should be the protector of such a fantastic place and Elia childishly arguing that any Giant over them would still be in charge and therefore no true freedom for the Whites, but Gemma did not care, Gemma told her countless times that she would never leave Elia and Elia always believed her. Elia imagined the life they would have, the apartment they would one day share, the beds, the furniture. Elia dreamt of buying custom made plates and glasses so Gemma could eat and co-exist with as much dignity as possible. Her parents would never fork out money on extravagances for a tiny white, even for their daughter, they only tolerated the clothes Gemma wore because Elia recycled them…Elia was crying even harder now, the future was gone. Everything Elia ever wanted was gone. All Elia wanted was to see her again, to hold her, to kiss her, to brush her long yellow hair and to tell her she loved her. Every time Gemma told Elia she loved her Elia’s heart rose in happiness, but there was only a black hole where her heart used to be. Elia cried until she literally could not cry anymore.

 

The tears were gone, but Elia was in a daze. Elia saw things now…Her head felt like it was swimming and she saw things with her own eyes that she would have dismissed as dreams but Elia remembered every one occurring in her life. Elia remembered seeing the tiny brunette girl on the ground in the park crying in agony as her left arm and leg was missing, and Elia remembered trying so hard to stop the bleeding but all she could do was to allow the girl to not die alone, and she held the girl on her hand until she passed away. Elia saw herself throwing up on the spot when she saw that black lady throwing whites to her dogs as treats in the park. Elia could hear the screams now, loud and vivid. Elia saw the TV of the old grainy black and white footage of the Holocaust and saw her old recurring nightmare of those destroyed whites being gassed by cruel Giants. Elia saw people of all colours and creeds torturing whites, whites crushed barefoot by blackened soles. Elia saw tinies being eaten, gnawed on by indifferent pearly white teeth. Elia saw tinies being trapped under armpits. Elia saw adverts showing hardworking office ladies using the larger tinies as insoles. Elia felt herself choking. Elia tried to blink and brush it all away but she knew it was futile. The horrors were all around her, Elia felt enveloped by its evil and she tried pushing it away but she couldn’t.

 

The darkness enveloped her, Elia was trapped. Countless screams and inane babble filled her consciousness. Elia felt as if the bed she was laying on was no longer supporting her body and she moved her arms and she felt nothing. Elia looked around and the table and the empty glass by her table were gone. Indeed Elia could see nothing around her. A pure darkness. And indeed the screaming was gone. Elia blinked as a sharp white light emerged. The light was intense and she moved her body so she was standing up and then she blinked.

 

Elia opened her eyes and saw that she was standing on the veranda of a truly vast estate. Elia was not afraid, she knew this place, she knew this place intimately and she felt like a traveller making her first return back home. Elia confidentially walked inside the marvellous palace and as she entered she saw that the whole room was immaculately maintained and as she wandered happily along the marble plane, Elia knew deep down that everything inside was grander than it was whenever it was when she was last here but was added seamlessly, more rooms and deeper with a vast array of books and she felt great pride as she wandered admiring the beauty, knowing that everything there was where it should be.

 

Elia drifted back into the main room and as she did so she heard a knock at the door. Elia opened the door and as she opened it she gasped as she saw Gemma was standing there. Elia had to look up as Gemma was slightly taller than her. Elia saw that Gemma was happy and carefree, clearly living a life of deep harmony and joy. Both girls smiled at one another, tears flowing freely from both the pale blonde Gemma and the dark brown haired brown skinned Elia and they embraced. Elia wrapped her arms around Gemma and Gemma wrapped her own longer arms around Elia and they shared a warm and loving embrace, nothing withheld as they both cried on the other ones shoulders but they were tears of joy. They both knew that they were from that moment, one.

 

Elia opened her eyes again and she stared lovingly at Gemma. Gemma gave her a sweet smile and she leant in closer to Elia’s face and as she marvelled at Gemma’s perfectly smooth skin, Gemma softly said, “I love you so much Elia.”

Elia cried again as she replied back, “I love you so much too Gemma.”

They embraced again but this time she felt Gemma hold her more confidentially. Gemma’s ample chest brushed against hers and Gemma took her finger and dried Elia’s tears and she softly cooed. “I love you so much my dear Elia.” At that Gemma kissed Elia and Elia gratefully accepted it and she felt she could melt from the touch but instead she reciprocated the kiss gratefully and the kiss lasted a long time.

 

Everything was perfect here, but Elia knew that she had to say it. Elia stared at Gemma and looked down on the ground. “Gemma I am so sorry you had to carry the burden... I am sorry for everything.” Elia cried as the pain and the horrors returned in contrast to this perfect place.

 

Gemma looked at Elia strongly and she held the back of Elia’s head and Elia relaxed happily when Gemma murmured, “It wasn’t your fault. It was never your fault. I know who you are, I know what is in your heart, I am so proud of you, I love you and we all want you here.”

“We?” Elia looked outside and she saw a vast sea of pale faces, thousands upon thousands of tall whites all watching her, with love and open-mindedness. There was not any fear or hatred. Elia felt that they all knew her and Elia was honoured that she was there with them. Gemma took Elia’s hand and as Elia stared at Gemma’s beautiful sparkling sapphire eyes, she followed Gemma’s lead and they walked over to the white brethren and Elia smiled and shook hands and met all of the tall white people.

 

Elia gasped happily as she recognised the first person in the crowd, she had both her arms and her legs and immediately Elia hugged the girl. “You are welcome here Elia.”

Elia gasped happily, the girl knew Elia was overcome with happiness so she introduced her to the other people and Elia was proud to meet eye to eye with them all and Elia was treated with courteous and grace by them all and Elia in turn complimented their radiant beauty, laughed at all of their jokes and she hugged all the adorable white children who spoke excitedly and with great confidence and optimism about their future. Elia felt truly one with all those around her and she felt great love as all those white faces accepted her into the fold instantly. After she made her introductions they all walked over to a great marble square and the light shining on it took Elia’s breath away as did the sheer amount of food, all of it smelled scrumptious and despite the great number of them there they all had somewhere comfortable to sit on the monolithic table and they all had more than enough food to eat. Elia sat next to Gemma and at once they all tucked into their suppers without a care in the world. As they ate Gemma said to Elia softly, “Elia, I am glad you’re with me.” Elia kissed Gemma and as she did she saw everyone smiling and approving. Gemma laughed and Elia smiled as they both began their divine feast, from their pristine dishes with glasses filled with the purest stream water. For the first time in Elia’s life she was free and in there company she no longer felt ashamed.