- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

Four chapters in four days! Just call me Vintovka!!....Don't call me that. That's way too much pressure. I'm pretty sure Vintovka is a story writing computer program. 

Chapter 4: New You

Things were different. Everyone was staring at her. Was it her hair? She had gotten blonder again. Over half her hair was now a bright honey yellow. It streaked through her darker hair like little bolts of lightning. She’d tied it up behind her to try and have a more subdued look, but people noticed. Her family had noticed. She had to feed a lie that she’d been using her mother’s salon products just to get permission to leave for school. She was pretty sure her family didn’t buy it. The school was another thing entirely. Suddenly people were talking to her. Saying hello, complimenting her hair, waving, trying to initiate conversation she didn’t want. She couldn’t handle this sudden increase in attention. She was a wallflower by nature, and introvert. She had craved a moment of recognition but she never wanted to be famous, just noticed, credited, acknowledged. Well she was sure being acknowledged now.

“You’re Delilah right?” Some random girl she didn’t know asked. The girl had light skin and short raven hair combed to the side. She was tall and thin with thick rimmed red glasses that reminded Delilah of her own. Glasses she hadn’t worn since Friday. Did she not need them anymore?

“Yes.” Delilah answered.

“I saw your demonstration. Too bad about what happened.”

Here it comes. This girl was probably going to mock her failure.

“Can’t wait to see you try again!” the girl said before walking off to join her friends.

“What?!” Delilah asked herself.

Her first class went by without much trouble, although she did notice people actually talking to her. A boy asked her if she understood the subject matter and if she could explain it to him even though he hadn’t said a word to her since the year started. Someone offered her a pencil she didn’t need. It was all very strange. She tried to ignore it. She had to remain focused on her goal. She would turn herself in and hand over her notes on the portal machine. She couldn’t get the machine working last night even though she had been able to rebuild the frame. The rig turned on and the rings even rotated, but nothing had happened. She hoped that with her added notes someone could recreate the event. It didn’t make up for killing the princess and robbing the elves of a cherished monarch, it didn’t even ease her conscience, but it would have to be enough.

When class ended Delilah was the first one out. She wanted to get to her locker quick and retrieve her notes. Then she would go straight to the principal’s office and confess to everything, had over the device, and accept her punishment.

“It won’t work.”

Delilah turned around in a start. “Who said that?”

“Hey.” Lupa said down to her. “How’s it going?”

“Did you?” Delilah ate her comment. Lupa had almost a foot on her and was still very intimidating despite dressing more approachably. Delilah turned around and easily opened her locker and retrieved her notebook without even struggling for it. She slammed the door quickly and stepped aside.

“Don’t be like that.” Lupa said bending down to access her lower locker. “I thought we were square.”

“I just didn’t want to bother you.” Delilah muttered.

“It’s fine.” Lupa. “You wanna have lunch with me?” f

“I don’t-.”

“Mm-me and my friends.” Lupa added. She actually seemed a little uncomfortable. “I-I know you don’t normally hangout with anyone, and we’re not really that popular, but my crew is cool. They’ll like you.”

“I actually have plans.” Delilah informed. She was shocked to even get the invitation and any other day she would but things were different now. She didn’t deserve to have friends.

“Oh, your busy. I-I mean of course your busy!” Lupa blushed. “You’re doing all that important stuff with your machine. For the cops right?”

“How do you know about that?”

“The whole school knows the princess went missing. They just don’t know how. Some people think she went through that portal she made. They want you to try and make another one huh?”

“I mean…”

“It’s cool if you can’t talk about it.” Lupa said. “Just if you find the time, my tables open….or well we eat by the fountain actually so it’s not really a table.”

“I-(‘ll consider it.” Delilah said. She would be long gone by then. “Actually I’ll be there!” She heard herself say. She gasped and put her fingers to her mouth.

“Great!” Lupa beamed. “See ya there!” She started down the hallway.

“I just have something to do first so I might be late!” Delilah yelled out to her. Lupa waved at her and Delilah waved back. Why had she done that?


Delilah sat in a chair in front of principle Willow. Her named suited her because she was a thin and wiry as a willow branch. Her hair even fell down over her face blocking her eyes and draping her like the iconic weeping tree. No one ever actually got a good look at her face during the day because of this. Delilah only got a glimpse as her principal blew some bothersome strands out of her way only for them to fall back down a moment later. Delilah could sympathize with this woman considering her own recent hair problems. From her briefest glance she’d seen the principal looked far younger than she and possibly the entire school would expect. A woman of thirty years if not younger.

“What can I do for one of my lovely students today?” She said. Her hands clasped eagerly on the desk in front of her.

“I….have a..notebook to give you.” Delilah said trying to find the words. This was harder than she expected. She had no idea what would happen to her.

“Well thank you.” The principal said. “Why?”

‘Umm...it has my notes. On the machine I built!...I was hoping you could give it to one of the elves. Hopefully princess Elixsana’s parents.”

“I can probably pass it along.” Principal Willow said. “Is that all you wanted?”

“NO!” Delilah blurted. She fidgeted in her seat. Here it comes. “I-I...have a confession to make.”

“Hmm?” The principal raised an eyebrow as this visibly anxious girl in front of her. “Something wrong?”

“Yes.” Delilah whispered. “Terribly wrong…..I did something horrible.” Delilah paused and sucked in. “The princess. She’s missing because of me. I….I-I killed her!” Delilah confessed. She was almost proud of herself for having the courage. It was time to take responsibility.

“You...killed her?” The principal asked confused.

“Yes!” Delilah shouted. “She’s dead because of me!”

“How exactly did you…”kill” her so to speak?” Principal Willow asked. She didn’t seem very surprised or concerned. In fact she appeared rather amused.

“I ate her!” Delilah screamed. “I swallowed her whole! That’s why the police can’t find her. She’s gone!”

The principal stifled a laugh. “Ms. Carne, please. This isn’t something that should be joked about.”

“Then why are you laughing!?” Delilah snapped. “I killed her! I’m a murderer! I belong in jail!”

“Enough.” the principal said evenly. “I know there have been some rumors spreading and the police presence only stoked the fire but assure you everything is fine.”

“It’s not fine!” Delilah insisted. “I ate Elixsana, don’t you understand?! She-”

“Went back home.” principal Willow finished.

“What?”

“I received the call this morning from her parents. Opening that portal during your demonstration Friday was apparently very taxing for her. She went back to her world to rest. There’s a lot less pollution there which helps with her recovery. I was going to make an announcement this afternoon but it seems I’ll have to make it sooner.”

“But-but?”

“I know you’re worried, Delilah. The princess left quite an impression on us all in such a short time. Quite a remarkable feat for such a small one don’t you think?” The principal walked around her desk to place a hand on Delilah’s shoulder. “But you don’t have to make up stories. And don’t blame yourself. She’ll be back soon enough.” The principal winked at her then ushered her out the door. “Enjoy your lunch, Ms. Carne. I’ll make sure the Evercrests get your notebook.”

The door shut behind Delilah and she was left cold, breathless, and unable to blink.


“I told you it wouldn’t work.”



 


 

Delilah was mute as she stumbled around the school. Mute in voice and numb in mind. She was completely checking out now. A lyrical laughter was ringing in her ears as ambient noise emphasizing her dread. She was lost now. Unable to even pay for her crime, completely robbed of her reckoning. Her only hope now was in some higher power bringing judgement upon her.

“Calm down, dear.”

Delilah was no longer startled. She knew now she had been hearing things. The guilt had now followed her to school, no longer isolated to nights in her room the voice of Elixsana was tenacious enough to taunt her during the day. She would have no respite. This was her true punishment. The princess’ curse.

“Curse?! Someone’s dramatic!”

“Delilah! Delilah! Over here!”

Delilah’s head snapped toward the fountains. Lupa and a small group of girls were sitting on the red brick edge of the structure.  The founts spouted water one after the other in a precise rythm. It was probably the nicest installation at the school. Delilah wanted to ignore Lupa’s gesturing but her legs seemed to move on their own towards her.

“You decided to join us! Cool!” Lupa beamed. She was happier and more open then Delilah had assumed. She had built this whole persona of aloofness for Lupa that didn’t seem to be true. “This is Megan.” She said introducing the random girl she’d bumped into that morning. “And this is Reggie, my sister.” A girl that shared more than a few physical traits with Lupa casually stuffed a slice of pizza into her maw and grunted at Delilah. Her hair showed no sign of ever being dyed.

“You forgot about me!” Delilah heard. She then noticed a tiny girl sitting next to the pizza box. She wore an elaborate layered dress with ruffles, frills, and a pink ribbon wrapped around her waist. Her hair was pink as well, and she had fucking wings!”

“Oh, no.”

“I was getting to.”

“Posie Winterwyse!” the elf or well she seemed more like a fairy honestly. “At your service, princess.”

“Agh!” screamed a voice in Delilah’s head. “I hate her so much! Run! Run! Now!”

“I have to go!” Delilah said.

“Don’t you run away from me!” Posie squeaked she took flight, in a blink she was in front of Delilah’s face, adeptly cutting off her retreat. “Don’t pretend like you don’t recognize me! The ball, you spilled dwarvish ale all over my solstice lattice!”

“Solstice what?”

“Playing dumb!?” She huffed. “So typical of you to always dodge responsibility! My flowers were ruined, the wood was warped. I was completely humiliated!”

“Posie what are you doing?” Lupa stood up to stand between Delilah and the angry floating fae.

“Calling out our dear princess on her misbehavior and falsehoods!” Posie shrieked. “I know you’re here, Elixsana! I can smell you!”

“The princess is gone.” Lupa said. “She like vanished or something.”

“No she didn’t!” Posie insisted. “You humans may be blind but we more enlightened beings are aware of magical trickery! You’re not fooling anyone Mara.”

“I-I really don’t know what you’re talking about!” Delilah pleaded. She nearly wept at the thought of being exposed like this. So blatantly, in front of everyone, her crime would be laid bare to witness, and just when she might have been making friends! “Please just….leave me alone!”

The flying elf froze in mid air. She gave an irritated grumble than did a curtsey. “At once your highness.” She sighed and floated back down towards the pizza. She gingerly plucked off the smallest of pieces visibly disgusted by getting her hands greasy. Delilah even heard her mumble something about how gross human food was.

“That was odd  huh?” Lupa laughed awkwardly. “Don’t let Posie get to you these elves are weird, different. She’s okay when you get to know her. Please stay. Have a slice at least?”

“S-sure.” Delilah replied.

Delilah was having a good time. She and Lupa shared a few of the same interests including handheld video games. Lupa had Animal Crossing and Delilah instantly regretted not bringing her DS. Megan watched the same shows she did including dreadfully awful daytime soaps like Bold and the Beautiful or General Hospital. Reggie wasn’t particularly talkative, but she seemed happy to listen. Delilah didn’t know much about group dynamics, but she knew what is was like to be the quiet one. The only thing that dampened the atmosphere was Posie. She would constantly stare at her to the point of being uncomfortable. Everytime she looked in her direction their eyes met. Posie never talked to her but she was obviously suspicious. She was aware. Delilah knew Posie could see the shadow of her mental anguish.

“This has been fun, but I really should go.” Delilah said. “I have to prep for next class.” It was a lie, but she didn’t have the social skills to come up with an acceptable excuse to leave.

“It’s fine.” Lupa assured. “Thanks for humoring me. We’re free anytime you don’t want to eat alone. Posie will warm up to you eventually.”

“Hmmph!” Delilah saw the elf stick her tongue out at her.

Conflicted feelings flooded her as the last ring of the school bell chimed. Classes were over. Delilah had confessed. Nothing had happened. In fact it was actually a good day. She’d made friends even if only provisionally in nature. Then there was Posie, the flying elf that had seen right through her. What did that mean?

“Stay away from, Posie!”

Delilah shut her eyes tight as she walked. Of course her mind was wary of Posie. It was a sign of her own instinctual need for self preservation. That flying fairy could sniff out Elixsana, somehow. Latent magic, perhaps. Delilah still didn’t believe is such things despite seeing it first hand. It was denial pure in simple, but it helped keep her from crumbling into a sobbing heap of miserable nothing. A miserable nothing that-. She fell back and landed on her ass.

“We have to stop bumping into each other!” Rocko grinned down at her. “Distracted much?”

“Shut up, Rocky.” Delilah sighed. She didn’t feel like interacting with more people. He helped her up and the moment hung. He just stared at her with a goofy smile as the wind blew through her hair. “What?”

“Nothing!” he said a little too fast.

“I know. My hair. I look ridiculous.” Delilah sighed. “Just say your peace. You won’t be the first.”

“He thinks you’re cute.” Dartrex spoke. That’s when Delilah noticed the elvish noble perched atop Rocko’s head. “I’ll give you credit. You’ve showed some...mild improvement. Decided to take up showering would be my guess.”

“What an ass!”

“He’s still hanging out with you?” Delilah questioned.

“He won’t leave me alone!” Rocko groaned. “I told him I don’t even like him!”

“And I told you it doesn’t matter. Compensation has been paid for services rendered!”

“He paid you.”

“He paid my parents three grand just for me to ferry him around school. I have no idea why.”

“And you wouldn’t. No one expects you to think human! Just follow orders and you will be a part of greatness.”

“He’s insane!”

Dartrex stomped hard on Rocko’s head eliciting a loud squeal of pain. “I’m close1” Dartrex corrected. “You’re linked to this caveman. I can smell it! And when I find the princess I’ll be honored with a statue in the ivory halls of-”

“She went home.” Delilah lied.

“Excuse, me?”

“The principal told me she went home.” Delilah repeated, parroting the principals false information. It was a mystery why Elixsana’s parents had lied about it but Delilah had no problem spreading the misinformation. Except that wasn’t true at all. In fact Dartrex was probably the best one to tell the truth. She cursed herself for not telling Posie earlier. An elf would likely believe her confession!

“Actually I-” Delilah’s mouth shut closed! She forced it open and no words came out.

“You what?!” Both young men looked at her puzzled.

“I-I...ate..pr-p-pizza!” Came out her mouth. “I ate bad pizza today and now my stomach hurts.” Delilah forced out. “I better get home and take care of business!” She ran away as fast as her legs could carry her.

“Well that was a blowoff.” Dartrex laughed. “She doesn’t like you at all does she?”

“Shut up.” Rocko grumbled. “Besides you heard her. You’re princess whatshername went home. You can leave now.”

“Lies.” Dartrex stated. “She’s still here. I can smell her.”


 


 



“Did you have a nice day at school?” Princess Elixsana Evercrest asked to Delilah as soon as she stepped into her bedroom. She was sitting with her legs crossed at the edge of Delilah’s mattress. She was bigger too, about the size of a housecat and her clothes were fully repaired. He hair was shorter now, cut to just above her ears and combed back. Delilah was starting to get frustrated.

“You’re not dead.” She hissed at Elixsana. “This is some kind of elf prank isn’t it? What is it? Illusions, invisibility, teleportation, mind control?!”

“I think you should rest, dear.” Elixsana suggested. “You haven’t slept in three days.”

“Stop screwing with me?!” Delilah yelled. She slowly and deliberately made her way toward her fae tormentor. “I get it. I made a mistake. I hurt you and you want me to pay for it.”

Delilah reached the bed placed both hands on either side of the tiny princess. Her eyes were cold and sinister. The iris shrunken. Elixsana fell on her back. She stared wide eyed at the suddenly very menacing giantess.

“You can keep trying to mess with me if you want Elis, dear.”

The princess shook.

Sensing weakness Delilah let her body lower further trapping the tiny girl, nearly pinning her between the mattress. “But don’t forget. I’m bigger than you.”

Elixsana swallowed. She tried to scoot farther back but Delilah held her sides together with both hands. She meaty fingers were like a vice. Elixsana was the lesser of them she could never win a battle of strength.

“Delilah, remember we’re in this together.” Elixsana tried.

“Are we, really?” Delilah sneered. “Is that why you’ve been torturing me? Changing my hair, keeping me awake at night, controlling my thoughts?! Huh?! I tried to confess. I tried to do right by you! You just won’t listen. Just like before! Well,  we both know how I fixed that situation!” Delilah bared her teeth.

Elixsana was visibly trembling now.

“I ate you once.” Delilah threatened. She lowered her face until she was nearly skin to skin with her elven captor. Her mouth nearly touching Elixsana’s body. The elf closed her eyes, her breathing intensified. “I can eat you again.” Delilah closed her eyes, opened her mouth and….felt a tiny moistness on the edge of her bottom lip. Something soft was pushing into them. She felt miniscule digits on the edge of her cheek and heard a light moaning. She opened her eyes and there was Elixsana, groping at her face with her mouth open and her tongue twirling with great fervor. Delilah lifted her face up and and stared with quizzical fascination at the erratic spasms of the princess.

‘Mmm, yes.” the princess whimpered as she groped at nothing. Then she stopped. Her body frozen as the realization that her passion was no longer being reciprocated dawned on her. “Oh no.” She breathed in. “Oh, no!”

“Princess?”

“Sorry!” She screeched as her eyes nearly popped from their sockets. “I thought we were having a moment!..I mean! Not moment but a makeout!....No I-I...Ahhh! Damn it all! Now I’ve gone and ruined it!” Her whole body took on a reddish hue that highlighted her white skin. “Forget what just happened!” And with that she vanished in an instant.

Delilah fell face first into her bed as she processed what just happened. The princess who had been tormenting her, the ghost she still wasn’t sure was real or just a figment of her imagination, had just tried to kiss her. What the fuck was going on?



 

Chapter End Notes:

There's only like one, maybe two more chapters of this left. 

See ya!