- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

Taking Over is back with chapter 5!

Chapter 5: Princess for a day

“Princess, princess, time to wake up, your highness.” Delilah opened her eyes, beckoned from the dreaming world by the voice of her least favorite servant.

“Gp away Posie!” Delilah growled and turned over in her bed, burrowing her head deep into her pillow.

“Now, now. Princess.” Posie took the edge of her sheets and ripped them away exposing Delilah’s nude body to the cold air. She curled into a fetal position and used her pillow as a blocker from the morning light. “You have responsibilities to attend to!”

Ugh! Responsibility. How often had she heard that word? The true curse of royalty. Responsibility was a burden, it forced you to work harder, be smarter, more generous, more ruthless, than everyone else in the world, and you were hated for it as it slowly killed you.

“I’m tired.” Delilah whined.

“None of that.” Posie said. “We need to get you bathed and dressed quickly. Your fathered has made a new decree concerning the migration. People need to see you to put them at ease. A crowd is starting to gather. They want their princess to comfort them.”

“Comfort them? How?” Delilah griped. She rose from her bed fully nude, but half awake. She stretched her arms up and felt up her body. She had a slight pain in her shoulder and her stomach felt cramped. She felt her taut belly and the few ridges and bumps that defined her abdomen. Her form was thin and supple, yet built and lean. The perks of being half esshanti and half whatever her father was that wasn’t esshanti. No one talked about it. It was Orc for all she knew! In the right light she often thought her skin did look a little green.

“Ginger tea.” She ordered down to Posie. Her servant was born in the floating isles, thus the wings, it also meant she was shorter than the average esshanti already. Delilah’s mixed blood meant that Posie Winterwyse barely came up to her waist. This unfortunate size disparity meant Posie was often useless when it came to dressing her, especially since she refused to fly indoors. Another reason the pink haired woman was her least favorite.

“At once, your highness.” Posie bowed before scurrying out the door. The door closed with a lock before opening up again. “Hurry up.” Posie added.

“I can have you fired, you-” The door slammed closed abruptly. Delilah sighed and rubbed her temples. Why had she been saddled with Posie?! The girl already resented her enough without being made her servant too. The Winterwyse’s were technically royalty as well, but after losing a war over a thousand years ago, since then one member of every generation was selected to leave their life of luxury to forever serve an Evercrest as a sign of their allegiance.

Something was off. Delilah nearly didn’t recognize her self. Was her skin alway this clear? Caramel colored, without so much as a blemish. She thought she was darker, and she’d lost weight. Her ponch she’d carried since her freshman year was gone! Since when?Well at least her hair was the same. Smooth, wavy, with little streaks of blonde that crackled throughout like bolts of electricity. Unique, exotic, beautiful. She stopped admiring herself and stepped into her luxury bath. Posie had told her to hurry, but a princess never rushes through anything. She started the water and poured in some rose scented bathing oil. She would take her time this morning. When the water was just at its steaming point she lowered herself in. It was probably too hot for most, but years of doing this had built up a resistance. She breathed a relaxing hum out and closed her eyes. She hoped she’d have something that would fit for school. Something baggy so her family wouldn’t notice. Wait...that wasn’t right? Princesses didn’t have to go to school. Why was she thinking about that?

“Princess!” Posie gasped as she walked into Delilah’s bathing room. “I told you to hurry and you’re still bathing!”

“It takes time for the water to get hot!” Delilah insisted.

“It’s called a shower!” Posie roared.

“You can’t talk to me like that!” Delilah whined. “I’m a princess!”

“So am I!” Posie argued. “And this princess is ordering you to get out and get dressed!” Posie actually flew toward the bath breaking her personal rule. She must have been truly angry. How important was this decree her father had enacted? Delilah let the smaller woman pull her out of the bath. “I’ll help you get dressed.”

Delilah groaned.


 


 


It wasn’t good news. Times like these were when the burned of her royalty felt the heaviest. Delilah looked among the thousands of citizens that surrounded the castle’s garden, but a fraction of the citizens in her wardenship. More than a few faces she recognized. The baker from Warfsburg who migrated when that region was attacked by a dragon. Representatives from the Bloomstor theocracy, that had abandoned the faith after the moon had fallen. Sometimes you could see the shadow of the scarred celestial body even during the day. It was an omen of the end. Their world was dying, they had to find a new one, and not everyone could come.

That was the decree her father had made. There would be restrictions. Only working families with a least two children. The elderly and sick could not migrate. IIt was now her job to ease the minds of those who had been sentenced to oblivion. She knew why her father did this. It was impossible to migrate everyone. Too many numbers and …...too little strength.

“There will be a raffle for those who do not qualify. 200 citizens will be able to see the new world. If you have a family they will be allowed to come with you. I urge everyone that does not qualify to participate in this. There is still hope.”

“How can you say that!” yelled a man from the crowd. “Force us to leave our lives to chance while the royals get a free pass!”

“Not all royals.” Delilah whispered to herself. “Please understand-”

“You ask us for understanding!? You who live a life of luxury on the backs of our work and then sentence us to death! Don’t ask us for understanding! You’re going, you get to live!”

“I’m staying!” Delilah shouted. The crowd gasped. “I’m staying. I forfeit my place to add a new family to one of the raffle winners.”


 


 

“There’s still time to change your mind.” her cousin said. He’d never so much as said a kind word to her since their childhood, yet now he’d found some compassion. Now that she’d revealed her conviction to die ruling a dying kingdom. “They can find some extra space for you and the family that won your spot. She of all people would make some extra time for you.”

“Please don’t talk about my mother.” Delilah said. It still hurt too much. “I’ve made my decision and it’s final.”

“And who’s going to lead your kingdom in this new world, huh? Rexard?! Ridiculous!” Dartrex scoffed. Dartrex never used her father’s proper title. He was a harsh ruler, who made unpopular decisions during a time of decline. He had saved thousands of lives, but no one liked him for it. “The people need you, Delilah. Stuck in a new world full of giants, and with the queen gone-”

“Leave!” Delilah shouted.

“You have to accept reality eventually.” Dartrex said before walking off. “Lying to yourself won’t help and neither will running away from your problems.”


 


 


“I love you, Delilah dear.” her mother said one last time before her eyes closed. She said she just wanted to rest, but Delilah knew they would never open again. It was too soon. There was still supposed to be time, but she suspected her mother was keeping the portal open longer than she was told. Trying to let as many people through as she could even as the magic slowly drained the life from her. Such was the burden of her responsibility, the burden that now belonged to Delilah. She cried for hours besides the peaceful corpse of her mother. The tears would never stop, neither would the pain.


 


 


They were all going. Every single one. As the de facto ruler in her father’s absence her word was law. Delilah issued the decree and less than a week later she was using her inherited dimension warping powers to create regulars portals for nearly anyone who asked. Three times a day was her schedule but she often ignored it much like her mother had. The physical toll was severe often leaving her exhausted for twice as long as she’d opened one, but she was young. Her magic was new, but with practice and study she could refine the spell and mitigate the damage. Even so it would most likely take years off her life. How many had she lost already? Her advisors had told her to stop, even Posie who had chosen to stay with her argued for a more conservative schedule. She wouldn’t stop though. Sure she could choose to leave at anytime, but that would be taking the easy way out. There had to be a way to restore the life of this world, but they needed time. Too much time. Time they didn’t have with no heirs and the only escape option tied to her lifespan. If only there were a better way.


 


 


Delilah woke up in a field of flowers. She spotted the cracked moon in the night sky. Particles of the glowing pollen floated through the air carried into the clouds by the breeze. She heard a buzzing sound. A portal was open. Electric currents spun in a perfect circle about two meters wide. Beyond the gate she could see her garage, dusty and littered with clutter.

“This is our graveyard.” Elixsana said. Delilah looked toward her feet for the elf to know avail. “My mother was buried right over there.” A hand pointed beyond her towards a crooked tree with jagged blossoms on its branches. Delilah felt a hand on each shoulder. They wrapped around her into a tight hug. “I thought I’d see her again after I died but I think she’s avoiding me.” Delilah jumped away and turned around breathlessly. It was Elixsana, dressed in an all white gown which blended with her skin an almost made her appear nude except for the hem of the dress that flowed in the breeze. She was larger now, much larger. Delilah didn’t even reach her shoulders. She stepped back.

“Don’t be frightened.” Elixsana said. “If I wanted to hurt you don’t you think I would have by now?” Elixsana stepped toward her, Delilah stepped back. The princess took another step and so did Delilah. This continued three more times.

“Okay, enough.” Elixsana stated flatly. Suddenly hands were around Delilah’s waist and she was lifted into the air, being hugged from behind. Elixsana’s cheek pressed into hers as the princess chuckled into her ear. “See, see how easy it would be? Trust me on this, dear. There’s no running from me now.”

Delilah was motionless and voiceless as the princess continued to hold her.

“C’mon dear?” Elixsana sighed. “This is a happy time. Would you prefer if I was the size of a doll again?”  

“What happened to you? What have you been doing to me?”

“Actually I think I’m just naturally taller than you.” Elixsana guessed. “Isn’t that funny someone that can fit in your hand is also taller than you? Now that we’re equals I guess you see me on the same level as you.”

“Equals?”

“Well, maybe not equals.” Elixsana said. “You’ve been asleep for awhile now. I think I might be a little stronger than you.”

“Stronger than?” Delilah panicked. “You’re trying to kill me aren’t you?!”

“Delilah, dear. Remember I’m dead. I can’t kill you. Besides, why would I want to? We’re a team.”

Delilah ran. She bolted through the portal leaving Elixsana in her strange world. She pushed over the device letting it crash into the floor. It made a loud bang and the portal fizzled out of existence. Hopefully the princess couldn’t follow her. She had to escape as far as she could. She rushed out her garage and into the hallway. She wasn’t sure what she’d do but maybe if she put some space between her and the device that would weaken Elixsana? It was a longshot based on nothing, but Delilah didn’t have much capacity for clear thought right now. She’d known from the beginning something was up. That elf had cursed her, was trying to steal her life in retaliation for Delilah’s crime, was trying to-”

“Woah, where’s the fire.” her father stopped her in the hallway. “You not destroying nothing in there are you? I heard a noise.”

Delilah was breathing heavy now as she looked up at her father, a lot less farther up than she ever had before. She was nearly eye level with his neck. Her father was 6ft 5!

“Daddy, what’s happening to me?!” she cried into his chest.

“Uh, I….” He was caught off guard by her sudden outburst. “Puberty?” She knew his daughter had been acting strangely most of the week, but he wasn’t sure what answer to give her. Her body was finally catching up to her age. She was a little taller, stronger, and a little more beautiful as much as he could admit about his own blood. “Do you want to talk to your mother about this? You having...uh….woman problems?”

“What? No!” Delilah blurted. “Oh, forget it!” She let go of him and ran off.

“Woman problems?” his wife frowned from behind the corner of the hall. “Is the best you can do after eighteen years?”

“Where the hell were you!?” He barked at her. “You could’a helped me out!”

Georgia shook her head. “Father of the year!”


 


 


Delilah started to pack her things. Maybe...maybe Rocky could let her stay the night or something. They weren’t really friends but he was kind of okay with her right?

“He’s more than “okay” with you, dear.” Elixsana said. She was smaller again. The size of a tiny action figure as she stood on Delilah’s dresser. “Is this better?”

Delilah didn’t say anything. Her biggest mistake was engaging with the ghost. That and she didn’t want to admit it helped. She needed to ask her parents about seeing a therapist.

“You are under a lot of stress.” Elixsana observed.

Delilah ignored her and headed for the bathroom. She stopped on the way there, spotting herself in her mirrored closet. She had completely changed. Not just her hair. Her skin, her height, she was thinner. Much thinner. She was wearing pair of dark grey overalls she never remembered putting on. They were flooded revealing her ankles. She wore a short sleeve shirt that revealed her arms. They were less thick, wait that wasn’t the right word. They were still thick, but less fat. She never dressed like this.

“Push ups, dear.” Elixsana said. “Be proud, you look good, but we have a long way to go on that.” Delilah collapsed onto the floor.

“How long have i been asleep?”

“Three days.” Elixsana said. “Happy Halloween? I think that’s what the holiday is called. We have a similar one in my world. It’s called the week of whispers.”

“Three days.” Delilah gasped.

“Don’t fret, dear.” Elixsana said. “I took care of things. We even got your device fixed! Isn’t that great?”

“Took care of things?” Delilah was legitimately terrified of what that implied. “What have you done to me?”

“I don’t know, dear.” Elixsana said. She looked melancholy at that. “I never asked for any of this, but it is my burden to bare….our burden now.”  She vanished again. Delilah felt herself being pulled into something soft. Elixsana’s bust. The elven princess held her close from behind and let Delilah cry into her.

“I say we embrace it.” Elixsana continued. “I’ve decided that I like you. You’re worth keeping around.”

“You’re trying to take my life aren’t you?” Delilah finally asked. Her life, her body, slowly changing, becoming something more fit for a princess. It had already happened. Elixsana had lived in her skin for three days. Maybe even longer than that.

“Like you took mine.” Delilah whispered in her ear. There it was. She knew it! This was revenge. It had always been that simple. “No. That would be incredibly petty wouldn’t it?”

“I’m scared!” Delilah weeped.

“Shhhh, shhhh, shhh.” Elixsana hushed. “You’ve been incredibly stressed. Just close your eyes. You’ll feel better when you wake up. I promise. I’ll take over for a bit longer”

“I’m not tired.” Delilah said even as her eyes started to droop. She tried to fight it, but Elixsana was indeed stronger now. Too strong to...Delilah yawned. She fell asleep.


 


 


Elixsana opened her eyes. She picked herself up off the floor and inspected herself in the mirror. Not bad honestly. Delilah had a lot to work with and was actually surprisingly strong under all that fat. Putting on some muscle had been a little too easy. She had to cut back though, manage the transformation. Late puberty was a convenient excuse but it wouldn’t cover such a dramatic change in such a short amount of time. She grabbed at Delilah’s love handles in annoyance. Delilah would need to start dieting. She’d discovered a stash of oreo cookies under the girl’s pillow. As delicious as they were they added to the waistline.

She could feel Delilah in the back of her head. A long slow, sorrowful, plea. The poor girl was so frightened and fragile. The power she’d held that day almost a distant memory. It would be so easy to snuff her out entirely and move on, but no. The girl had probably saved her and her entire kingdom in that one selfish act. She deserved better for that and would have it. Just another of Elixsana’s responsibilities as princess. The curse of the void, without any heirs it seemed to transcend life itself. Now Delilah was a part of it. Did she know? Could she peer into her past as well?

Elixsana didn’t have to worry about that now. It was Halloween and she had promised to go “trick or treating” with Rocko and his little sister. It was some human tradition where the youngest were gifted free candy in exchange for displaying elaborate costumes. It must have been some ritual to appease a human god she didn’t know of. Either way she needed to finish and appropriate costume in time. There was a whole group expecting her and as a princess she had to look divine.


 

Chapter End Notes:

I guess techically the story is over now. It was short and probably could have been done better, but I hope you enjoyed it! That makes four completed stories now. Weirdly even though as NotSirk I've completed more stories than that amatuer MrSirk I still haven't written anything as popular as "Tales of the New World"....Oh well! 

I'm tooling with the idea of a short epilouge for this. If you're interested in that I'll probably do it. 

See ya next story! Whenever that is.