- Text Size +

Chapter 7: Houdini

 

The screeching of train wheels finally came to an end, a sound I could never tolerate. But right now I think i'd take it on loop than face up to this woman. Still standing over me she started to move closer, her hand coming to grip my wrist. I shrugged her away before she could get a hold of me.

 

“Please, you won. Just let me walk” I pleaded

 

“Alright” she said withdrawing her hand, I was surprised. She had been hands on and controlling from the get go, but was she showing me some sympathy. While she was delighted she wasn't basking in her victory, she knew she had won and that was that.

 

With the train stopped the announcer came over the PA to let us know we had come to our stop, although I had passed mine long ago. So I started to march my way down the aisle, towards the passage door at the end of the train. She followed behind me, making sure to keep her shadow over me, but allowing me to walk on my own. Walking up to the passage door I pressed the button and it slid open for me I trudged through.

 

Now I was in a small space which was dimly lit. To my left was the power door which had lit up green indicating for me to pull the handle to my right was the door to the small toilet cubical. While I had a lot of my hope beaten out of me, I knew I had once last chance at salvation. But for my plan to work I had to embrace my own weaknesses.

 

I walked up to the power door, green light emanating on my face. She moved in behind me, making the small space feel even more small and now cramped. I reached up for the power door handle and held it. I took a short breath

 

“Well” she said impatiently “Get on with it”

 

Here was my moment, if she believed I was week now was my moment to convince her beyond doubt. I tugged on the power door, not really attempting to open it, but exaggerating my effort. I never did drama at school, but i'd like to think whoever my teacher was years ago would be proud of me. I put on a massive act, I could open the door if I wanted too but I wanted her to think that I could not.

 

“Really?” she muttered behind me, she pushed me out of the way and approached the door herself “Your so weak”

 

She had taken the bait. My goal was to never open the door, but rather buy myself some precious seconds. She had unceremoniously shoved me out of the way and approached the door herself. Silently I took some steps backwards, she was not paying me any attention. I heard the audible click of the door being pulled open, followed by the sound of the hinges swinging it open. That was my audio cue, I turned and bolted into the train toilet. The last thing I saw before entering the better lit toilet was the shock on her face, an expression I had not witnessed in my time with her.

 

My heart was racing, having slammed the door behind me I knew I wasn't purely safe yet. I reached up and turned the lock sealing myself in the toilet, but sealing myself away from her. My plan had worked! For the first time tonight something had gone my way.

 

A few seconds passed, surprisingly I heard nothing other side of the door. I had the mental image in my head though, I could picture her on the other side in shocked bewilderment. I could even imagine her train of thought, she had held all the cards for all of the night, so how had this underpowered man gotten the best of her? As a few more seconds ticked I imagined that the shocked expression would have made way for one of anger. There was no way that she wasn't fuming on the other side of toilet door, i'm surprised steam wasn't entering from the under the door. I could only imagine with each passing second her anger grew tenfold.

 

There was a loud bang from the other side I watched with my own eyes as the door buckled in, but thankfully returned to it's locked state. The lock had absorbed the force and held firm, no doubt she just planted her fist or shoulder into the door to break it open, but it had held. Much like my mental resilience. For all the doubt in the night this was my moment of victory and while the image on the other side scared the shit out of me (thankfully I was in the right place), I had never felt so accomplished in my all my life like I did right now. She thought I was weak and it was that lie that had deceived her, because while I wasn't strong my mind had matched her and in the end I had outplayed her at the final hurdle.

 

Another bash came from the other side, but again the door held on.

 

“Alright, fucker! Open this door up! Right now!” There was some real venom behind that voice, I counted myself lucky her spit wouldn't dissolve the door. I had never heard a woman so aggressive and angry. There was extreme menace behind her voice, and I knew she could physically back that up.

 

I shut my eyes, the announcer came of the PA stating we where ready to depart. Soon it would all be over. While I was her prize, she risked going out of her own comfort to obtain me. I was certain that she would not risk missing her stop, so now she had to pick, was I worth pursuing or not. I put my hands together, I was not religious but I prayed she would leave.

 

I heard another loud noise from outside, she had collided with something. She hadn't touched the toilet door though, it sounded like she had belted the wall in frustration. Then the sound of footsteps leaving the train.

 

I sat there, not totally feeling safe. Outside I could hear the power door closing shut with the accompanying warning beeps. The train jolted forward, a almost fell back of the toilet as we began to move again. The train was off again, I didn't know for sure if she had departed the train, but it felt like she had gone.

 

 

Second passed away, that eventually turned into minutes. I stayed put, I was almost frozen to the seat. Not because I feared she still waited outside, but I was just finally able to sit and collect myself.

 

Eventually my anxiety relaxed and I had mustered enough courage to make a move. I jumped off the toilet seat and unlocked the door. Slowly I pulled it back and peered my head around the corner. Part of me was expecting to see her there arms crossed waiting for me, but all I could see was a dark room. I exhaled, I felt relieved she was nowhere to be seen.

 

I took a step forward, my foot crunched on something on the floor below. I backed up and had a look to see what it was.

 

There on the floor sat the remains of my phone, it had been split in half.

 

I didn't even hear her do it. I bent down and picked up the large pieces (or two halves) and looked at it. It was a modern smart phone, the things weren't built to be tough in our disposable society, but it was still rather impressive to still see it snapped in two halves. A final demonstration of her power that I hadn't even witnessed.

 

I clicked the button on the passage door and made my way back to my seat, but half way down the aisle I changed my mind and sat further away from where she had once sat. Not having a phone complicated my journey home a little, but I still had somewhat of a plan.

 

First order of business was to fake sleeping until the next stop incase the ticket inspector came by. He'd ever leave me be or I could explain that I had slept through my stop, either way I think if someone did come by they wouldn't bother me to much. Then all I had to do was wait at the next station for any available trains and make my way home from there.

 

It was going to be a long night, but i'd take this over spending the night with her any time. I closed my eyes and began to start acting again. But before I truly committed I gave myself a little fist pump. Against all odds I had prevailed against her.

Chapter End Notes:

Don't worry, this isn't the end. She will be back. 

 

Feedback and reviews are always appreciated