- Text Size +

(41) Day 3 Ookojima Port (14.6 m < 14.9 m)


So what was Ookojima? It was one of several islands where the government had conducted various tests for Reduction and Magnification and arguably one of the largest. That did not mean it was an unpopulated island, however. The fact that there was a city should have revealed that much. In fact, there were three cities along with several small towns according to the leaflet that had been distributed out to us boys. 


“This is one surreal sight,”  I picked up Yae’s habit as I looked out the window of the bus we Sakuragawa 2-D boys were on. Even if I knew the itinerary, seeing it before my eyes was something else entirely. From the beach we were on, there was a road looping around the mountain heading towards the city. This was no ordinary road, though. What was abnormal though was that there was an enormous ‘sidewalk’ that was even wider than the road and with a thickness half the height of a standard car. The girls were being led down it behind us by the health committee girls who were acting as tour guides. 


“It feels like we’re on the sidewalk and they’re on the road,” my seatmate on the bus, Fujimoto nodded, taking off his headphones to speak to me properly. “It definitely feels more dangerous to be walking there than driving here.”


The roads must have been made of some Magnified material or something because the girls’ steps did not break the ground. The sidewalk looked far more sturdy than the asphalt. Even so, the group of girls all walking together made heavy impacts strong enough that we could see they caused stray rocks nearby to bounce up and down. It was also telling how quickly they walked considering they were actually getting closer even though we were in a moving vehicle that had a ten minute head start.


“In terms of danger, I suppose you’d be right,” Sasakura-sensei’s sister heard us from the front and spoke up. “The locals know better than to use the Magnified Walkway if someone’s on it.”


“Locals? There are locals?” from behind me, Nakano asked the question.


Answering the question for the government representative was one of the people accompanying her, a man in a suit with sunglasses that looked like a bodyguard.


“Why wouldn’t there be?” He answered with a grin and laugh that eased our nerves despite his intimidating appearance. “It wasn’t like we built this island from scratch. First came the locals, then came the JSDF, and finally came us researchers. All we did was introduce new technology and build a bunch of things to accommodate our size research.”


“They were actually more gung-ho about it than us too, weren’t they, Nijima?” Ranko-san sounded nostalgic. “They gave us a free pass to renovate the city when we told them we were going to be testing town-building. ‘Whatever you want. The bigger the better!’ they said.”


That explained a lot about what was written on the tourism leaflet that had been handed to us. Yes, there was a tourism leaflet. Besides the typical wonders of nature and cultural sights, there were also pictures of the JSDF base, a lighthouse, and numerous giant structures that were just ordinary things built for someone who was Magnified. Ookojima seemed to pride themselves in showing off Magnification and Compression technology that had yet to get introduced to the rest of Japan.


“At least this isn’t a deserted island,” Ryou put his hands behind his head and spoke up while relaxing on the bus.


“It’ll be far from deserted this week. Really, you boys are in for a real surprise if you’re still thinking of things normally. Look out the window and see for yourselves what I mean,” Ranko-san pointed out to the left as the bus rounded the curve.


“Huh?” “Wait, what the-?” “Are those all-”


“Whoa...,” my reaction may have sounded subdued, but I was equally as stunned as the other guys as the city came out the window. While it was a beautiful sight to see a seaside port city, that wasn’t what was shocking to everyone.


According to Sasakura-sensei and Kamiya-senpai, there were a few other schools that would be joining us on Ookojima and the various islands around it. We were going to run into other people we didn’t know who were also going through the program, and that meant only one thing - there were going to be even more giant girls around the area.


Immediately within view, we saw the houses and buildings of the city stretching along the entire coastline for several kilometers to show off both an elaborate port and also an attractive sandy beachside. But amongst the buildings, walking around in plain view, were high school girls who were almost just as tall. They were inspecting the buildings, taking selfies with phones larger than billboards, and walking over streets and intersections in a single stride. It was hard to not miss them.


“Is the city going to be okay?” I heard someone ask. I had to agree. Even if the girls were a lot less monstrous, it was still like an invasion of kaiju. Their feet proved equal matches for the cars on the road, and they could clearly grab any passersby within their hands with ease. Yae and the other girls from Sakuragawa were going to be added to the mix as well.


Rumble. Rumble.


Thud! Thud!


Speaking of them, we had only stopped at a red light for about 30 seconds but that had given the girls enough time to close the gap between us. A pair of loafers landed right on the Magnified Walk directly to our left. I recognized that it was Kamiya-senpai who had stepped past us. An earthquake followed as the rest of the girls followed suit, walking by us on the large ‘sidewalk’ without paying us any notice.


“Oh my, they sure did expand since last year. There are even more buildings than before.”


“W-What is this, Senpai? Are we really allowed to just go around the city like this?”


“For the most part, yes, but do keep in mind that you are representing our school, girls. Those of us at the health committee would rather not have to rein you in.”


That was right. The reason why we were on the largest island was actually because of how elaborate Sakuragawa’s health committee was. The members were all going to be helping out with security and safety.


“Rein us in?” I heard our class representative repeat, confused, but she quickly caught on when she turned to the side. “Kyaa! Shizuku-san! Don’t pick that up!”


“But nobody’s inside…,” Yukimura had ignored our upperclassman’s warning and bent down to pick up a parked car with her hands. I noticed the car didn’t receive any dents despite the force the girl was probably exterting on it with her fingers. There had to be a protective field generator somewhere.


“Oh my god. This is, like, super hilarious. Look at how shrimpy the roads here are,” Shiina couldn’t help but laugh as she took photos and selfies with her smartphone, not paying attention to where she was stepping and knocked down trash cans with her feet.


“Sheesh. If we get any bigger, Ai-chan and Rin-chan are gonna have a hard time squeezing between the roads, huh?” Her gyaru pal Watanabe nodded with a laugh as she nudged the two girls she mentioned.


“W-Watanabe-san!” Honda jumped, stumbling into the road after Watanabe had effectively slapped her butt. Her hand slammed into a building with a heavy thud as she tried to keep balance.


“J-Just what’s that supposed to mean?” Tokiwa held her boobs defensively, walking backwards. Her loafer landed in front of our bus, blocking our way. 


“Girls....” sighed the health committee head. “Well, you are free to play around, but there are also Magnified officers around if you over step your bounds, so please do be careful and listen.”


Stomp! Stomp!


“Whoa.” “Wow, that’s-”


A few of us on the bus were startled when another pair of loafers landed next to us, having stepped off of the sidewalk and onto the street. We didn’t see the owner’s face, but a number of us turned red when the view from the left side of the vehicle was suddenly taken up by an up close view of a pair of black bloomers and what were clearly white side-tie panties right behind them.. 


“Fufu~ Boys, we’ll be going on ahead to make sure the girls know how to behave, so take your time catching up to us, okay~?” Yanase-senpai spoke with mischievousness in her voice. Even if they weren’t directly her panties, it was clear she had given us a free show on purpose. Considering her love of public skinship, I always wondered if she was into exhibitionism.


While the stoplight was still red for us, the girls ignored it completely and stepped over the road, continuing on the Magnified sidewalk that led further into the port city. They had come and gone as quickly and as destructively as a storm.


While we boys were still recoiling from the chaos that our classmates had made, Ranko-san and her colleagues seemed well acquainted with things and simply continued on doing what they had been doing. Even the bus driver did not seem to mind as he continued going at the same pace he had been going at before when the light turned green again.


“Welcome to the port, boys. The rules around here are a little different from that of the mainland, so keep in mind that we can only protect you to an extent from Magnified accidents, okay?”


 (42) Day 3 City Navigation (14.9 m < 15.1 m)


Protection was definitely a concern us guys had considering how vulnerable we would be with dozens of wandering kaiju-sized girls. I was surprised by how little instruction we were all being given when we were dropped off at the heart of the city’s downtown area. We simply were told to have fun and enjoy the sights and landmarks.


“Kirishima, I told Kamiya to send you the details on where Ran wants to see you later, but I’ll send it to you now on your phone. You and Asano should head over at 6 pm tonight,” was the only other thing I was told by Sasakura-sensei.


“Yeah, I’m sorry we can’t talk right now, but I’m looking forward to tonight, Kirishima-kun,” waved Sensei’s younger sister before she hopped back onto the bus.


We watched the bus leave, meaning all of us guys were now left to our own devices on what to do until we had to rendezvous later.


“So we get to just go around?” Nakano was confused by the lack of direction.


“Yes,” I clarified. Being the health committee representative, I ended up being the person the guys went to for confirmation. “Technically class is over, and since we’re here, we’re free to just treat it like a free day on a school trip - We can do whatever we want as long as we meet up by the end of the day. Just go wherever you’re interested, but try not to piss off any giant girls.”


“Seriously? Sweet. I want to check out the beach,” Aikawa already had his destination in mind. Yamabuki and Arai were among the guys who wanted to join him.


Ryou was also set on where he wanted to go. “I’d rather go grab a bite. Anyone thinkin’ of joinin’ me?” 


“Hey, should we try picking up girls?” “I don’t think that’s going to be easy with how big they’re gonna be.” “... Ryou. Wait for us!” Itou and Miyama gave up on their idea and decided to join Ryou.


“Kirishima, I bet you’re already locked onto Asano,” Fujimoto approached me with absolute confidence that he was right.


“Of course I am,” I nodded. “Although I’m also kind of curious about what’s around here, so I’ll probably sight see along the way too.”


“Mind if I join you then? I was thinking of just wandering around, but I should probably check in with Yoshikawa-san too since we’re both class reps,” Fujimoto grouped with me since our goals were similar.


“Of course.”


“Hey, don’t forget me, Touya-kun.” “...”


“Eguchi? And Saeki? You guys want to go too?” Besides Fujimoto, Eguchi also followed along. And more surprisingly, the always quiet Saeki raised his hand to join us as well.


In the end, all of the guys split off into separate groups. We all knew where on the map to meet up at night, so we just went along doing our own thing. That was what all of the other schools were doing anyway, and we were sure to run into them sooner or later.


My group headed west. As we did, I listened to the guys’ complaints about the training and shared with them the secret that was how we got transported to the island. Eguchi and I were pretty talkative with Fujimoto and Saeki was surprisingly expressive despite not saying a word. It felt like a usual guys’ hang out as we looked around the port.


“Y’know, with how much they said they built Alteration stuff into this port, this place doesn’t look all that different from a normal town,” Fujimoto observed. “Was the crazy sidewalk on the way here the only thing that was different? Everything seems ordinary right now.”


“I don’t think so. You see how there are these spires atop most of the buildings? Those are DL Field Generators. It’s thanks to those that the girls won’t break anything or anybody if they’re too reckless,” I pointed up. “I thought they weren’t that widely available, but I guess the Department of Alteration does have full access to them. That tells me that this city was built to withstand some damage.”


“Damage?” Eguchi frowned. His sharp eyes caught onto something and yanked both me and Saeki back before we went too far ahead. “Whoa, wait!”


Whaam!


“Gah!” the two of us narrowly avoided a car sized black shoe landing in front of us, however, the shaking caused by the force of her foot fall caused both Saeki and I to fall backwards onto our butts.


Really, it didn’t take that long at all before we ran into a giant schoolgirl.


My neck craned back to immediately look up at who had just walked by around the corner. Immediately, I noticed that the girl wore a different colored uniform than Sakuragawa’s. We had dress shirts and skirts, not sailor uniforms. She also had a camera in her hands as large as a cargo container.


“Hm?” The black haired girl in the violet long-skirted sailor uniform and white knee socks had heard my shout, causing her to look down by her feet. “Ah! I’m sorry. I was so focused on taking a picture that I stepped too far to the side.”


“Urgh…” I grunted as Fujimoto helped me stand up. I tried to look up at the girl, but for a moment, all I saw was the violet of her long skirt. We had definitely gotten too close to her. “It’s fine. I wasn’t paying attention either. We’re all new to this whole place, so it’s no trouble.”


Whoosh!


“Whoah!” A gust of wind blew into our faces as the girl lowered herself to get just slightly closer to our level to speak with us. Saeki steadied me with his hand on my shoulder. 


Being in a city, we were able to get a more proper view of how large the camera holding girl was. Even while hugging her knees, she was over twice the height of the trees in the decorated planters along the road. The traffic poles and lights also only came up to her knees at best so it was clear she had been having to step over them carefully. Even so, we had unluckily run into her.


“Are you sure?” the girl asked, fully exposing the black cloth underneath her skirt to us as she hugged her knees. We had to take several steps back before we could see her clearly. When I saw her face, I noticed she had a distinct pair of moles right underneath her left eye. “I didn’t hurt you, did I?”


“No. We just lost balance. You never actually hit us,” I assured her. It honestly felt odd to admit that I was so used to speaking to giant girls at this point that I had no nervousness or hesitation in my voice.


After sharing a glance, Saeki and I did a quick spin around to prove our health. The two of us ended the spin with an energetic exchange of multiple high-fives.


“Pfft~!” the titanic girl had trouble holding in a laugh. “I guess you’re fine. Public school boys are a lot more spirited than I thought.” 


Calling us public school boys made it clear to us that the girl was from a private school. Well, the girl carried herself did seem to be way more prim and proper than any of our classmates. She did lack Nomiya’s sense of courtesy for pictures though. Without a word, the girl lifted her camera up to her head. She aimed at us and pressed the button. There was thankfully no flash because one from a Magnified camera was comparable to a flashbang.


“Ehehe~!” she giggled to herself. “So what school are you all fr-”


Honk! Honk!


“Hyah?!” Suddenly, a loud truck horn caught all of us off guard, interrupting the camera girl. Turning our heads, we saw that behind the girl’s butt, a small amount of traffic had built up behind her.


“Hey, Missy, remember to keep the roads clear,” the closest driver rolled down his window and shouted up with a smile. He wasn’t the slightest bit rude. It sounded more like a kind reminder.


“I’m sorry. I forgot the rules of the road! I’ll go to the suburban district. It was nice to meet you boys. Let’s have a chat if we meet again,” the camera girl stood back up straight and straightened up her skirt. She was disappointed to be unable to keep talking with us, but she gave the four of us a quick wave and started to walk straight down the street, trying to carefully step over each and every traffic light that would be an effective trip wire to her. 


“Haha! Make sure to remind those girls, kiddos! Otherwise we’ll all have problems,” laughed the man before he rolled up his window and continued driving like nothing ever happened. I raised an eyebrow at how casually he had treated the camera girl obstructing traffic.


“Wow. Looks like everyone’s used to it here,” Eguchi whistled, noticing the same thing I had. “But I guess there are some traffic rules around here too.”


“...” Saeki pointed up.


“Huh? Oh, you’re right, Saeki. I can see a sign up on that tree. Looks like a picture of a girl with an arrow pointing in one direction. Must be a one way road sign,” Fujimoto’s vision was as sharp as Saeki’s when he narrowed his eyes to see what the guy had pointed out.


I supposed that was what Senpai had taken the girls of our class to discuss. It sure felt surreal to have the girls put on the same level as large vehicles on the road, but we quickly saw that this was an important thing to consider in the cramped downtown when numerous other girls walked by and started bumping into each other. Several of the girls wore the same violet sailor uniform the girl we had encountered wore as well, meaning they were from the same school. This must have been the reason why the camera girl wanted to go to a more suburban district.

 

“So where to guys?” With that, we continued moving to see what else was going on in the port, cutting through the inner city downtown and toward the sea.

Chapter End Notes:

Character Names (First Name Last Name) for the confused + the characters' normal heights for reference:

Junpei Fujimoto (167 cm) - male class representative who always wears headphones

Yusuke Saeki (178 cm) - Quiet guy who speaks through his eyes

Aya Kurose (162 cm) - Female student from Kogei Art Academy. Likes photography.