- Text Size +

Greg walked out of Trish's room. He had spent enough time in her room, and while she did allow him to hang around in her room, he found it rather boring without anyone to keep him company.

Soon, he exited the back hallway as he made his way into the kitchen.

He remembered one time, a time when he was also bored, when he stumbled onto quite a surprise in here during one task that Parvati had given him.

Chapter 8: Scavenger Hunt

Greg stepped outside of his dollhouse, and then soon walked out from under Parvati's bed. He was bored. Nothing currently in his house interested him, so he decided to take a look around the much bigger house to find something to do.

As he emerged from the bed, he looked towards the desk, and saw Parvati sitting there, looking at the screen of her laptop computer. She wore a white tanktop and blue jeans. From where he was, he could not see what it was that she was doing on there.

He opened his mouth and prepared to call out to her, but then reconsidered it as he glanced under the chair. As always, she was barefooted. Or, at least, she was at that moment.

A mischievous grin appeared on his face, before he headed towards her chair.

Within minutes, Greg found himself directly under the massive chair, and right in front of him was the sole of Parvati's left foot. This time, without a second thought, he puckered his lips, drew his face into the sole, and planted a kiss on it.

Upon doing this, the foot shot forward, and then the chair slid back. Soon, Greg found himself between both of Parvati's feet and looking up towards her face as she looked back down on him.

"I was wondering when I'd see you around," she said with a smile. "What's up?"

"I'm bored," Greg responded.

"Is that so?"

"I've gone through everything interesting in the hous- dollhouse."

"...Is Trish here?"

"No. She said she was going out to play basketball with some friends, or something like that."

"I see..."

"...Can I play with them?" He pointed towards her right foot.

Parvati shook her head. "No. Not right now."

"Aw, man..." Greg sighed in disappointment. "What are you doing, anyway? Work stuff?"

"No. Just reading an article on global warming."

"...Booooooring," he said in a mocking tone.

Parvati playfully jabbed him with the big toe on her right foot, knocking him to the floor on his buttocks.

"Hey!" Greg yelled.

"It's good to know what's going on in the world," Parvati said. "It most certainly is not boring."

"Whatever." Greg stood back up. "So, what am I supposed to do now?"

Parvati looked towards the ceiling, as if she was thinking about something. Seconds later, she turned her attention back onto Greg.

"Go back in the house," she said.

"Why?" Greg asked, confused.

"You'll see." She smiled and winked at him.

Greg stared at her for a few more seconds, before starting to walk back towards her bed. Halfway to the bed, he looked back towards the giant woman, who had slid her chair back where it was and had resumed reading the article she mentioned.

Finding himself back in the darkness under the bed, he headed to the dollhouse that he called his home inside the much larger house, and then opened the door and walked inside.

He walked into the living room. An exact replica of the one that was in the much larger house, complete with the coffee table with the vase of plastic flowers on top of it and television in the corner. Nothing weird here.

He then walked back into the main hall, and then crossed it into the kitchen. Nothing here but the typical appliances normally found in a kitchen, with the table sitting in the center of the room, just like the much larger kitchen. However, Greg noticed something on top of the table. He walked closer to it, and found that it was a folded sheet of paper.

Greg looked around the house briefly, before grabbing the paper off of the table and opening it. It seemed to be a note of some sort.

-Bored? Well maybe this will keep you busy for a while. I have hidden four orbs in our house (the big house, to be clear), and it's your job to find them. I will give you some hints as you go along.

If and when you complete this, you will get a prize.

Good luck, my pet! ^_^-

"...Is that right?" Greg said as he studied the note. "Orbs, huh?"

-Yes. Orbs. ^_^-

Greg's eyes widened in surprise as the note actually responded to his rambling. Then, a large, leather handbag suddenly appeared on the table.

He stared at the handbag for a few seconds, before nodding.

"Okay, then... Let's get this done."

~~~

As Greg walked out of from under the bed, with the handbag hanging from his shoulders, he saw that Parvati was no longer in the room. The seat that she was sitting in was pushed in, and he could barely make out the closed laptop on the desk.

He looked towards the sheet of paper in his hand.

-Orb #1 is in a place of dining. Go there.-

"I guess that's the kitchen," Greg concluded.

He then made his way out of Parvati's room, and into the back hall. He soon left the hallway and walked into the kitchen. He looked around this room... and did not see anything out of the ordinary.

He looked back towards the note. "What now?"

-Explore. You'll find it. ...Eventually.-

"Yeah, that helps a lot," Greg said sarcastically.

He walked towards the large table in the center of the room, looking around the kitchen as he headed in that direction. Still nothing. Was it possible that he would have to do some climbing? If so, that would be quite an ordeal... one that may even cause him to give up on this challenge.

He soon found himself underneath the table, next to one of its legs. He looked back down at the note.

-Explore. You'll find it. ...Eventually.-

It had not changed its message. Apparently, it would not be of any more help during this phase.

Greg looked around himself once more. Everything seemed perfectly normal as he scanned the room. At least, until something caught his eye: two dark spots on the leg of the table that was near him. These spots were in close proximity to each other. He had not noticed them in the dozens of times he was underneath this table before.

Greg examined the spots as he moved closer to the leg of the table. They almost looked like... eyes.

Suddenly, they blinked, which caused Greg to jump back in surprise. Then, what sounded like a giggle emanated from the table leg.

"What the-"

A figure soon began to emerge from the wooden leg. As it took shape, Greg found that it began to resemble... Parvati. A much smaller Parvati who seemed to more match his size. However, with the exception of her skin, hair, and eyes, everything about her was red: her clothes, her sandals, her jewelery and other accessories, and her nail polish.

"Parvati!" Greg called in surprise. "Why'd you shrink yourself?! Why all the red?!"

The apparition giggle. "Silly. I'm not the Parvati you know and love. I'm just a familiar that she created."

Greg tilted his head as he examined her. "Can she do that?"

"You have no idea of the extent of her powers," she responded. "Anyway, here you go."

She reached behind her back, and pulled out a glowing red sphere of sorts, one that looked to be big enough to fit on both of her hands. She then held it out to him.

"Take it," she said with a smile.

Greg stared at her for a few seconds, before stepping forward and grabbing the sphere from her hands. He then opened the handbag on his shoulders and stuffed the orb inside.

"Thank you," he said.

The apparition nodded. "You're welcome. Now, my work here is done."

Greg watched as the woman began to fade away in a sparkling, red magical dust of some kind, before she disappeared completely.

"One down," he said.

~~~

(-Orb #2 lies in the window to the rest of the world.-)

Greg walked aimlessly through the kitchen, eventually making his way into the front hallway and headed towards the living room. As he walked inside, he saw that the television was still on. The local news was currently airing.

"A double homicide on Ford Street today left bystanders stunned," said a female newsanchor on the screen. "Witnesses say that the perpetrator fled from the scene. He is described as a Black male, in his late teens or early 20s..."

"They always are Black," Greg jokingly said to himself, before looking at the note.

-Aren't you Black yourself?-

Greg rolled his eyes, before looking back towards the television.

"The Large Hadron Collider will go online as expected," said a male reporter, "amid protests from activists who believe that it could cause the end of the world."

"The world...?" Suddenly, Greg had a realization.

He rushed towards the television as fast as he could. He eventually found himself standing before it, with it looming over him like a large screen at a drive-in outdoors theatre. He was so small compared to the television, and so close, that he had trouble making out the images that flashed on the screen.

Suddenly, the screen froze, and then was filled with static. Greg backed away from the screen, just before he saw a figure emerging from the static and stepping onto the floor. Soon, it took the form of Parvati, much like the previous apparition did before her. Except while that one was "red," this one wore green clothes.

"You found me," it said.

"Well, now that I think about it," Greg said. "This task isn't too hard. It took me a while to figure it out, but I think I can handle this."

"Good." She spun her index finger around, and suddenly, a glowing green sphere appeared in front of his face.

Without a word, Greg grabbed the orb from midair, and stuffed it into the handbag. He gave the Parvati look-a-like a smile, before turning around and preparing to walk away from her.

"Wait!"

Greg turned back towards her. "What is it, Parvati Green?"

The familiar pointed at her feet. "What do you think of the polish? Is green a nice color?"

Greg looked towards her toes and the nail polish on each one. "Well, I don't see girls with green polish that often. It's mostly red... or black. ...I think they look nice."

"And you're just not saying that because you like feet?" She placed her hands on her hips.

"Kinda," he admitted, "but it also helps that green is my favorite color."

"Is that right?" She placed her finger on her chin and looked away as if she was thinking about something. At that point, she started to disappear in the same sparkling dust as the previous incarnation, except that hers was green. Soon, she was gone completely.

"Huh." Greg shrugged his shoulders, before making his way out of the living room.

~~~

(-What a mess this is! Orb #3 is in this pigsty. Good lord... >_<-)

It did not take Greg long to figure this one out. He walked into Trish's room through the door that was always cracked open for his sake. As the note said, Trish's room was messy. It was always messy.

However, now he had to figure out where it was in here.

He looked towards the note. "Any clues?"

-It's somewhere in here.-

"That's not helping at all!" Greg blurted. "Can't you give me a better clue?"

-It's somewhere in here.-

"Oh, forget it!" Greg said in frustration.

He then looked around the room. This would be a quite a task to find the third sphere in this filth.

He walked through the large bedroom, climbing over the strewn-out clothing that laid on the floor, clothing that looked more like hills to him at his size. He examined each article of clothing he came across, for any sign of the third orb. Nothing stood out.

Greg sighed and continued his search, eventually making it to the other side of the room. There was less clothing on the floor over here, probably because it was near her bathroom. He still did not see any indication of the third orb.

After nearly 30 minutes of searching, Greg looked towards the note, and was shocked at what he saw written on it.

-Oops! I was wrong. It's not in the pigsty, but it is near it. ^_^-

Greg let out a cry of frustration. "Will you get your facts straight?! And what's up with all of the emoticons?! It's like you're texting someone!"

With this new revelation, he decided to expand his search a bit. He looked towards the bathroom. Having never actually been in there before, he decided that this was a good time to get a glimpse of what Trish's bathroom looked like, so he walked towards it.

Upon entering it, he found the bathroom to be quite clean. A stark contrast to the room outside.

He then noticed something in the middle of the floor off into the distance. Or rather, someone. Even from here, Greg could see that this person was wearing yellow, and that they had their back turned against him. Despite this, Greg knew who it was, and broke out in a rush towards them.

As expected, as he reached the person, they turned around, revealing yet another doppelganger of Parvati, a "yellow" doppleganger. As Greg panted, she held her palm out towards him, and he watched as a glowing yellow orb appeared floating a few inches above her hand. As it finished manifesting itself, Greg took ahold of it and placed it in his handbag with the other orbs that were already inside.

"That was disappointly easy," Greg said, before walking away from the woman.

"...I would step on you."

Greg stopped in his tracks and turned around to face the apparition who had been silent until now.

"What was that?" Greg asked.

"Isn't that your fantasy?" she asked. "To be stepped on by a pretty girl?"

He blinked. "...Yeah..." He looked towards the amber-colored sandals that she was wearing. "You have the right shoes for it, too."

She smiled. "Thank you." She then started to fade away in a yellow dust of sparkling magic, much like the two before her.

"What was that all about?" Greg asked himself. "Parvati already knows about my fantasy..."

~~~

(-The final orb, Orb #4 lies in the back of your humble abode.-)

This one was not too hard, either. Greg walked back under Parvati's bed and made his way towards his dollhouse. Upon arriving, he walked around it and headed behind the house. It was a place that he had not ventured to too often, as there usually was not anything there for him to amuse himself with.

However, this time was different.

As he reached the back of his dollhouse, he could see a somewhat large lamp shining onto a blue flip-flop sandal. Something that had clearly not been there before.

"The hell?"

Greg walked closer to both of these objects, and looked from the lamp to the flip-flop. He then looked at the note in his hand.

-It's in one of these. Which one is it? That's up to you, my pet. ^_^-

"What happens if I guess wrong?" Greg asked.

-Then I'll punish you.-

"What kind of punishment?"

-That's my little secret.-

Greg sighed, and looked at both objects again. He then remembered the previous two apparitions, and how they made him focus on their feet. Almost as if they were giving him hints for this final challenge. It seemed almost too obvious...

But what relevance did this lamp have, other than to give this place some much needed light? With the blatant hints about their feet, it seemed clear that Parvati was trying to steer him into the wrong direction. If he took the bait, then everything he had done for would have been for naught.

However, was it possible that Parvati would have suspected him to think that she was deceiving him, and actually have the gigantic flip-flop house the final orb? It seemed highly possible, especially with the seemingly ease of the final clue.

He had to make his decision. After some hard thinking, he finally came to a conclusion. He took a deep breath, and walked towards the lamp, and then placed his hand on it.

He looked around. After a few seconds, he heard a noise. He looked towards the flip-flop, and saw a figure emerging from the thong. As expected, this figure took the form of Parvati, one that wore blue. She then walked towards him, with a somewhat stoic on her face.

"Aww... Too bad," she said.

Greg sighed. "Dammit."

The apparition folded her arms and shook her head. "I was going to shrink you down to ant-size, too..." She chuckled. "It would have been interesting to see you run from me when I was stomping after you."

"Aw, man..." Greg said in disappointment. "So I failed?"

She smiled. "No, you guessed right."

"What?!" Greg was shocked. "But all of that you were talking about... That sounded like-"

"That was the punishment," she said. "Probably more like a reward for you, but still a punishment."

She then stretched her arm out towards the lamp. The lamp started to glow with a blue hue, before it reduced in size and transformed into a much more spherical shape. The glowing faded as the sphere settled onto the floor, revealing the final blue orb.

"Take it," the apparition said.

Greg nodded, and reached down to pick up the orb from the floor. He then placed it into the bag with the other three that were inside.

"Can that still be my prize?" Greg asked. "You stomping me into oblivion?"

She shook her head. "No. I have something else planned."

"What's that?"

She smiled. "You'll find out in a few."

Greg watched as the apparition faded away in a blue, sparkling mist, before she was gone completely. With her also faded the giant flip-flop. He then looked into handbag once more and examined each of the orbs. What were they, anyway? Were they anything special, or just something to keep him amused for a while?

He walked towards the front of his house, before he heard footsteps approaching the room. Must be Parvati. The real Parvati. He made a detour and headed for the open room outside from under this bed.

As he emerged, he found the giant woman waiting for him, holding her closed laptop in her right hand. He also took notice to the white flip-flops that she wore on her feet.

"So, you succeeded?" She said.

"Don't act like you don't know," Greg responded. "I bet you were watching the whole thing."

Parvati opened her laptop and then kneeled down closer to his level. She then turned the screen towards him. On the screen, he saw a word document with several phrases on it. Phrases such as "It's in one of these. Which one is it? That's up to you, my pet," "Aren't you Black yourself?", and "Explore. You'll find it. ...Eventually."

"So you were the note..." Greg said. "Where were you?"

"On the back porch," she responded as she stood upright and closed the laptop. "I guess I did make it a bit too easy for you, but did you have fun?"

"Yeah, a little." He started to make his way towards her right foot. "So, what's my prize?"

She gently pushed him back into the spot he was in before with her right foot. "It's not the girls. Not yet."

"Aww man..." Greg sighed in disappointment.

"Don't sound too disappointed, my pet."

"...Why not?"

She smiled. "Because we're going to the beach."

 

[End Chapter]