Elevator Girl's Love Grown Cold by macromega
Summary:

The long search for the missing Dakota Greene finally ends ... but the late Dr. Dekker's victory still stands ...

 

The 11th installment in the Eelvator Girl series.

Elevator Man, Super Scuba, Granite Man and the Super 6 are all the property of their copyright holders.  All other characters and all situations are mine.  No infringement is intended.


Categories: Teenager (13-19), Mature (40-49) Characters: None
Growth: Mini GTS (16-30ft)
Shrink: None
Size Roles: None
Warnings: The Following story is appropriate for all audiences, This story is for entertainment purposes only.
Challenges: None
Series: Elevator Girl
Chapters: 4 Completed: Yes Word count: 9165 Read: 18109 Published: September 21 2012 Updated: October 03 2012

1. Chapter 1 by macromega

2. Chapter 2 by macromega

3. Chapter 3 by macromega

4. Chapter 4 by macromega

Chapter 1 by macromega

“This ship is amazing, Scuba!”  Elevator Girl said into the radio, looking around at the control room.  “I can’t believe your people did it so fast!”



“It had actually been in the works for some time,” the merman nicknamed Scuba said.  “But, when we found the new crevasse and realized what was in it, we expedited it to get it done.  This has been a long time coming, after all.”



“That’s true,” Elevator Girl said quietly.



“Too long,” said the woman pacing behind the teen heroine.



“Relax, Woman,” Elevator Girl said.  “We’ll be there soon.”



“I know,” the woman said.  “I know.”



The submarine designed by the merman who was a reincarnation of Super Scuba from the Super 6 was a miracle combining the technology of both surface and subsea people.  It could reach depths that no sub carrying a person had ever been able to reach.  On top of that, it had, of necessity, docking capabilities so those in it could travel to another submarine without both ships surfacing first.



“When did you find this thing you think is the ship, Scuba?” Kellie asked.



“About five days ago,” Scuba said.  “We were able to get a probe in yesterday and confirmed that it matched the configuration of the ship you’ve been looking for.  I contacted you right away.  We knew we‘d need a ship capable of supporting surface folk, since he‘s an air-breather -- assuming he‘s in there.”



Kellie nodded.  After that, she stared silently out the sub’s porthole for awhile.



Scuba swam to a safe distance in front of the sub.  He pointed to a small crevasse some distance below them.  “There it is,” he said.  “This is where I have to leave you.  The pressures below this depth are too much even for us.”



“You’ve done great, Scuba,” Elevator Girl said.  “Thanks for everything, and wish us luck.”



“You’re always welcome,” Scuba said, “and good luck.”



As the sub sank lower, Scuba looked at it diving down.  It was holding up well, and he was glad, but he also was afraid for the granddaughter of his old ally, Elevator Man.  If this was the ship she’d been looking for, would she find her long-sought love alive?  And, if he was, what would that mean for her, and for those both she and he loved?



It took most of another half-hour for the sub to reach the ship.  Elevator Girl stared at the ship, apparently made of ice, wedged into the crevasse.  “Oh, wow,” she said.  “That sure looks like the ship.”



“I know that!” snapped the woman.



“I didn’t mean it that way, Woman!” Elevator Girl said, somewhat defensively.



The woman shook her head.  “I know that,” she said.  “I’m sorry, Girl.”



Elevator Girl smiled, more in trying to calm the woman than from any emotion of her own.  “It’s OK,” she said.  She looked out at the ice ship.  “From the scanners, it’s still filled with air, and the hatch is clear and able to open.  We should be able to dock with it.”  She looked back to the woman.  “You ready for this?”



The woman stood in a shadow, her arms folded tightly across her chest just under her breasts.  She nodded.  “Do it,” she said.



Elevator Girl turned to the controls.  As she started the actions Scuba had taught her, she said, “Initiating docking.”



A strong but flexible tube projected from the hatch of the sub.  It configured itself to match the DeLorean-door shape of the hatch on the ice ship.  As it contacted the ship, a series of electronic signals was sent through the tube.  After a moment, those signals opened the ice ship’s hatch.



Elevator Girl took a moment to take a deep breath.  “Well,” she said, “Looks like docking is complete.  Woman, do you want to go first, or --”



Elevator Girl cut off her sentence when she realized the woman already was in the access tube.  The teen tilted her head.  “I guess you’re going first,” she said quietly.



When Elevator Girl got through the tube, she saw the ship’s control room.  It was exactly like the sketches she’d seen of the other one; and, there, across the room and slightly to the right of her position, was the cryogenic tube.



She tooked around.  She saw the woman beside the door, her back pressed against the wall.  Elevator Girl was surprised by the woman’s expression.  It was one she had rarely seen.  She looked terrified, afraid to simply walk across the room.



Elevator Girl walked over to the cryogenic unit and started examining.



The woman’s sounded like she nearly was hyperventilating.  “Is he … Is he …” she said.



“He’s alive,” Elevator Girl said.  “All the equipment is working.  Got to give Dekker this much credit;  she was the nastiest villain any Elevator ever faced, but her tech was top-notch.  For an ice ship to be intact down here after all this time, and under these pressures, is an accomplishment itself, and then for all the cryonics to still be functioning after all this time with no maintenance …”



“Can we … revive him?”  the woman asked.



“It’ll take some time,” Elevator Girl said, “but I think so.  Fortunately, we’ve got a long trip to the surface, and Scuba’s sub should allow us to tow this thing up there.  He should be safe to remove from the unit before we get to the surface.”



Elevator Girl stared into the tube.  “Wow!  He’s really cute,” she said of the teen inside.  She turned to the woman.  “Woman, I need you to confirm his identity, to make sure this is who we think it is.”



Elevator Girl turned toward the woman, who was simply staring at the tube.



“Woman!” Elevator Girl said.  “Elevator Woman!”



Elevator Woman still had her back pressed against the wall.  If anything, it looked like her terror was building.



Elevator Girl decided to break secret identity protocol; after all, if they weren’t safe here, where would they be?



Elevator Girl put a hand on Elevator Woman’s shoulder.  “Mom!” she said.  “Hey, Mom!”



Elevator Woman turned and looked at her daughter, somewhat blankly.



“Mom, I need you to identify him positively,” Elevator Girl said.  “I’ve only seen pictures of him.  He’s your old flame.”



Elevator Woman nodded, then slowly walked toward the cryonics tube.  She gazed through the viewing surface of the tube.  There, inside, was the perfect, 15-year-old face of Dakota Greene.



Elevator Woman took a gasping breath, then sobbed four times loudly.  She threw herself on the tube.  “Oh, Kota!” she wailed.



Her mask getting wet, Elevator Woman removed it, revealing the face of Kellie Ross Trudeau.  “Oh, my Kota!” Kellie said, her voice faint and choked with tears.  “I’ve finally found you!  I’ve finally found you!”



“I’ll take that as a positive ID,” Elevator Girl said.  Her own stomach was in knots as she saw her mother, normally stoic as Elevator Woman, collapsed in an emotional heap, but she was being the stoic one now.  Someone had to.  “Shall I start the reversal procedure on Dakota?”



Kellie stood up.  “Can I, please?” she asked.  “I’ve waited 25 years for this moment.  I’d like to be the one who hits that button.”



Elevator Girl nodded.  “Absolutely,” she said.



Kellie walked over and pushed the button she remembered from the day she’d freed her own mother from Dr. Christine Dekker.  The equipment behind her made the same hiss as she’d heard a quarter-century earlier when her mother’s resuscitation began.



Elevator Girl pointed with her thumb to the linking tube.  “I’m gonna go pilot the sub to get us back to the surface,” she said.  “What are you gonna do?”



Kellie stared at the tube.  “I’m going to stay here with Kota.”



“It’s gonna take most of the trip for him to wake up,” Elevator Girl said.  “You could join me on the sub, if you want.”



“Maybe later,” Kellie said.  “I’ve waited for 25 years to be with him again, and I’m going to take what time I can.”



“He won’t know the difference,” Elevator Girl said.



“I will,” Kellie said.



“You want me to call Dad, or Aunt Lakota?”  Elevator Girl said.



Kellie smiled.  “No,” she said.  “I ought to be the one to break the news to Lakota, so she can make arrangements for Nick and the others.  And I really need to talk to your dad.  He may not be able to hold me right now; a phone call will be the next best thing.”



Elevator Girl smiled, almost involuntarily.  The last sentence said by her mother had eased the teen’s fears about her family.  And there was something else.  As long as Elevator Girl could remember, her mother had lived with an immense weight on her shoulders: the weight of the loss of Dakota.  Now, although Elevator Girl could see that there was still the weight of what had happened to Dakota and its possible impact on him still borne by her mother and mentor, much of Elevator Woman’s burden clearly was now lifted.



The teen patted her thigh.  “Right,” she said.  “I’ll get us headed for home.”  She pivoted to return to the sub.



“April,” Kellie said.



The teen turned back.



“Thank you,” Kellie said.  “This is a big chunk of my life’s work, and I couldn’t have done it without you.”



April Trudeau bit her lip, trying to keep her composure.  “No ’blem,” she said.  “Now let’s get him the rest of the way home.”  She turned again and exited, deeply moved by her mother’s compliment.



Kellie turned back to the tube in which Dakota slept.  She collapsed beside it.  “Oh, Kota!”  she said, sobbing again.  “I’m sorry it took so long to find you!  I’m sorry!  I’m so sorry!”  She lay there, sobbing wordlessly, lost in her own grief for all that once had been and now couldn’t be again.

Chapter 2 by macromega

After recomposing herself, Kellie had called Gill first, patching the Elevator Woman cell phone through the sub‘s communication system.  She needed the comfort.  That call had helped, but less than she had hoped.  Gill was supportive, as always, but she could hear the hesitation in his voice, the same hesitation she’d seen on April’s face earlier.  Neither of them was sure where Kellie’s emotions stood on Dakota.  She knew what she’d known since she married Gill.  She knew where she stood, especially after looking at Dakota’s face, and seeing in the crystal viewing port a reflection of her own at the same time.  But they couldn’t know, and their lives would be affected by this decision, too.



Kellie dialed up Lakota next.  “Hello,” she answered.



“Lakota, it’s Kellie,” the heroine said.  “Brace yourself.  It’s finally happened.”



Kellie heard a gasp from Lakota’s side of the phone.  “You mean --”



“We’ve got him,” Kellie said.  “We’re bringing him home.”



Kellie heard Lakota break down crying, and couldn’t help doing a bit of it herself.  Finally, Dakota’s twin sister asked, “Is he OK?  Can I … talk to him?”



“He’s all right, but he’s like we expected him to be,” Kellie said.  “He’s been in cryonic sleep all this time, so it’s going to take some time to bring him around.  And …”



“And he’s still 15,” Lakota said.



“In every way that matters, yes,” Kellie said.



“How did you find him?”



“Scuba’s people found a previously uncharted crevasse this week,” Kellie said.  “They sent in a probe, and found the ice ship.  Scuba contacted us, and, well, we’re bringing him home.”



“So, what’s the plan from here?” Lakota asked.



“Just like we’d said, April and I are taking him to our place to decompress in a safe and familiar setting,” Kellie said.  “You can take the time you need to get arrangements made for Nick.  I’m holding off on a press release or conference until we’re sure he’s ready to let the world know he’s back.”



“Wow,” Lakota said.  “Kellie, so much has changed while he’s been gone.  This is gonna be so hard on him.”



“I know,” Kellie said quietly.  “I’m sorry.”



“Sorry?” Lakota said.  “Kellie, he can live his life now because of you!  Yeah, it’ll be different than what it would have been before, but he can live it now!  You’ve saved him, Kellie!”



“Yeah,” Kellie said flatly.



“I can hardly wait to tell Mom and Dad!  They’re going to be so thrilled!”



“I’ll call you as soon as he can talk, and feels up to it,” Kellie said.  “I’m sure he’ll want to talk to you.”



“Kellie, are you all right?” Lakota asked.



“All right?” Kellie said.  “I’m a tangled up mess, but happier as a tangled-up mess than I’ve been for 25 years, in some ways.”



“ I undertand,“ Lakota said.  “I’ve got to start making arrangements, get the family together.  I’ll see you late tomorrow.”



“See you then,” Kellie said.



“Kellie,” Lakota said.  “You done good.”



Kellie hung up the phone.  She stared at Dakota and smiled.  “At least you’re alive, and free again,” she said to him.



A short time later, seeing on the controls of the sub that no more communications were outgoing, April set the sub on autopilot and went to check on her mother and their precious passenger.  She found Dakota still sleeping and her mom, asleep herself in the command chair.



Dakota had no idea how much time had passed when he groggily opened his eyes.  He had vaguely heard a hiss, and the sound of machinery moving.  Now he was looking at a familiar face wearing a familiar mask, even though something seemed a little bit … off somehow.  But he was so groggy, he couldn’t be sure.



“Elevator Girl?” Dakota said weakly.



April smiled at him.  “Yep,” she said.



That was close to the voice he expected, but, again, not quite right.  “Kel?” Dakota asked.



“She’s over here,” April said.



Kellie had been asleep, but bolted up at the sound she’d been waiting 25 years to hear:  Dakota’s voice.  She was by the tube where he was still resting, now opened as he had finally reached the point where he was starting to awaken.  “Kota!” she said gently.  “I’m here, Kota.”  She caressed his cheek.  Her face was unmasked.



Dakota smiled.  “Kel!” he said.  “You look so beautiful … so grown-up …”



“Oh, Kota,” said Kellie, “I love you.”



“I love you,” he said.  “Hey!  You finally said it …”



“I’m … sorry I took so long,” Kellie said, fighting back tears.



“S’okay,” he said.  “So sleepy … can’t wake up …”



“You’ve been through a lot,” Kellie said.  “You rest.  You’re safe now.  We’re taking you home.”



“’Kay,” said Dakota.  Love you, Kel.”



“I love you, Kota,” Kellie said.  She tenderly kissed him on the cheek.



April, watching, was gripped by fear for her family’s future again.



Kellie, seeing this, patted her daughter’s shoulder.  “Relax, Girl,” she said.  “I know my limits, and this is beyond them.  But he needs me to be his Kel right now … and, maybe, a corner of me needs to be that for him, in a limited way, and for just a little while.  Give me that much room, OK?”



Reassured, April grabbed her mom’s hand.  “OK,” she said.



The ship returned to the shore quickly.  Doctors from the Greene-Ross Foundation, sworn to secrecy on the threat of firing, were waiting to examine the unconscious Dakota when they got to a secured docking area just after dark.  Once he was cleared, the Trudeaus took him, still sleeping, to the house where Kellie had lived as long as she could remember.  By this time, she and April had shrunk from 7 feet tall to their normal heights and covered their uniforms in street clothes.  Gill helped get Dakota inside.  While either Kellie or April could have done so, they’d have had to use their powers, which would have put their identities at risk.



Dakota was placed in the guest bedroom upstairs, across the hall from what was now April’s room.  After April had gone to bed, Gill checked in on Kellie, who was sitting on a chair in the guest room, staring at the sleeping Dakota.



Gill gently put a hand on his wife’s shoulder.  “You OK?” he asked.



Kellie patted Gill’s hand and smiled up at him.  “I’m fine,” she said.  “How are you?”



“Anxious, but not overly so,” Gill said.  “I have to admit, for all the faith you’ve had over the years, there was a part of me that never expected to actually see my rival found, let alone in my house.  But, that said, I know I’m safe.”



Kellie’s smile took on a tinge of sadness.  “You could always read me like a book,” she said.  She tilted her head toward Dakota as she said, “There’s only been one other guy who could do that with me.”



Gill patted her shoulder again.



“Are you OK with us taking the time to help him transition here?” she asked.



“Absolutely,” Gill said.  “He needs to make the adjustment to what’s happened, and there’s no better place than your childhood home, the one place left available that he would find at least somewhat familiar.  I just wish I could be here tomorrow, but I’ve got to deliver that big project at work.”



Kellie bit her lip as she looked up at Gill.  “You’re better than I deserve,” she said.



“I think you got that backward,” he said.  “I take it you want to be here when he wakes up?”



Kellie nodded.  “He deserves that much.  And, besides, if he got up in the middle of the night, all sorts of things could go wrong.  He could fall down the stairs, or mistakenly think 15-year-old Kellie is in April’s room, since it used to be mine.  I mean, we never did, y’know, anything in there or anything, but --”



Gill chuckled.  “You’re thinking too much, Kellie, and I understand,” he said.  He leaned down and kissed her cheek.  “Just make sure you get at least some rest.  You won’t do him any good if you’re a wreck.”



“He’s been waiting 25 years,” Kellie said.  “I’ll be ready when he needs me.”



“You’re always ready when people need you,”  Gill said.  “That’s part of what I love about you.”



Kellie stood up, growing to match her husband’s height.  “I love you, Gill,” she said, kissing him on the lips.



“I love you, Kellie,” he said.  “Good night.”



“Good night,” she said.  As he exited, she sat back down, resuming both her normal height and her lonely vigil.



Several hours passed.  Kellie had dozed off in the chair when Dakota stirred, starting to awaken.  When he sat up, she bolted upright.  “Kota!” she said.  “Are you awake now?”



“Yeah,” Dakota said.  “Kel, where am I?  What’s going on?  What’s happened to you?”



Kellie moved over and sat on the edge of the bed, taking her old flame’s hand.  “You’re in the guest room in my house,” she said.



“It looks different,” Dakota said.  “So do you.”



“What’s the last thing you remember?” Kellie asked.



Dakota smiled.  “You finally telling me you love me.”  Then he frowned.  “That wasn’t a dream, was it?”



Kellie chuckled.  “No, it was real,” she said.  “And I do love you, Kota.  I always will.  But I mean, the last thing before that,”



Dakota thought for a moment.  “I was kidnapped from the Greene-Ross fundraiser by some sort of ice mist and placed in a tube in an ice ship earlier today.”  He looked out the window at the darkness.  “Or maybe it was yesterday now.”



Kellie took a deep breath and sighed.  “Oh, Kota,” Kel said.  She patted his hand.  “You were kidnapped by that icy foe of mine from back in my early days.”



“Early days?” Dakota said.



“She put you in a cryogenic sleep and hid you, and died without saying where you were and left no clues,” Kellie said.  “I’ve spent a long time looking for you … a long, long time.”



Realization started to hit Dakota.  “Oh, God,” he said.  “Kel, how long have I been … out?  From the look of you, I’d say, what, a dozen years?”



Kellie couldn’t help but smile.  “How old do you think I am, Kota?” she asked.



“I dunno,” he said.  “Twenty-seven, 28?  Maybe 30 tops?”



Kellie looked him in the eye.  “You’re way low,” she said.



Dakota was feeling cold all over.  “How … how old …”



Kellie took another deep breath.  “Kota, I’m 40,” she said.  “You’ve been in suspended animation for 25 years.”



Dakota sat, stunned for a moment, before he said,  “Twenty-five …”  then he looked at Kellie, who simply nodded at him.  Seeing his distress, she reached forward and embraced him, not romantically, but caringly.



After a moment, Dakota pulled back.  “When you said you loved me,” he said, “I saw another Elevator Girl.  But she looked and sounded so much like you.  Is she … Is she …”



“My daughter,” Kellie said.



“Oh,” said Dakota quietly.



Kellie smiled.  “We’ve got some fresh clothes for you in the closet.  I’m going to go downstairs and get some food going.  You’ve got to be hungry.  I know you’re going to have a lot of questions.  I’ll do whatever I can to answer them.”



Kellie started to stand up, then fell back into a seated position o the bed, her back to Dakota, sobbing.



“Kel?” he said.



“It’s just,” she said.  “I’m so glad you’re back, … and so sorry it took so long to find you,” Kellie said.



She looked at Dakota.  He had placed a hand on her shoulder, and was smiling at her weakly with that goofy smile he’d smiled so often 25 years before.



“Right,” Kellie said, standing up again.  “It’s a lot to process.  Move at your own pace.  I’ll get us some food, and try to catch you up as you’re ready.”



As Kellie went to leave, Dakota said, “Kel?”



Kellie turned back.  “Yes, Kota?”



He glanced at her left hand and saw the engagement and wedding rings there.  “Are you happy?” he asked.



Kellie smiled.  “The short answer is yes,” she said.



Dakota tilted his head.  “There’s more to it than that,” he said.



Kellie smiled.  “You can still see right through me,” she said.  “You’re right, but let’s talk about that downstairs, if that’s what you want to talk about.”



Dakota looked a little sheepish.  “Well, I am kinda hungry,” he said.  “I guess it’s been 25 years since I’ve eaten.”



“The fresh clothes are in the dresser,” Kellie said.  “I’ll see you downstairs.”  She left to go start a breakfast she remembered that Dakota liked.

Chapter 3 by macromega

Dakota found the clothes.  The cut seemed strange, and he didn’t recognize the fabric, but he took off what he’d been wearing -- apparently for a quarter-century -- and put on the new apparel.  There weren’t any shoes, just socks.



As he exited the room, Dakota hit his left little toe on the doorframe.  It hurt badly enough he almost yelped, until he remembered there were others in the house who might be sleeping at this hour.  He winced.  At least he knew he wasn’t dreaming, but he’d rather this nightmare was a dream.



Making his way down the steep old stairs, Dakota walked back to the kitchen.  The house had been remodeled since he was here last, and the kitchen looked substantially changed from what he remembered.  The counters and appliances all were replaced, and were configured differently.  Yet, at the same time, there was a familiarity about it.



Dakota paused when he saw Kellie, puttering away making breakfast.  On one hand, she looked so much like Gemma had when he had seen her preparing a meal in this kitchen; on the other hand, this was undeniably Kellie, who looked so much better for this age than Gemma had.



Dakota couldn’t resist.  “Are you sure you’re 40?” he asked.



Kellie turned toward him, unconsciously pulling her long blonde hair back over her ear.  “Oh, hi, again,” she said.  “Yeah, I’m all of 40, and closing in on 41.”



Dakota shook his head.  “You really do look more like late 20s, Kel.”



Kellie blushed.  “Thanks,” she said.  “The workouts for superheroing keep me in shape -- and so does trying to look good in those costumes.  When you’re a kid, you don’t appreciate how hard it is to look good in either tights or one of those leather outfits.”



Dakota chuckled.  Kellie gestured for him to sit down as she lifted the breakfast.  “I’m afraid I broke the yolks on the eggs,” she said.  “I guess I was a little jittery.  I wound up having to scramble them.”



“That’s fine,” Dakota said.  “I do that a lot.”



Kellie placed a plate of scrambled eggs and sausage links in front of Dakota, along with a glass of orange juice.  Silverware and a napkin already were there.



Dakota started to wolf down the food, then realized Kellie was just sitting there, staring at him.  He smiled.  He couldn’t help but stare back.  She was clearly older than what he remembered as being the day before, but really didn’t look 40 to him.  Up close he could see some hints of the tiniest of lines, but they were few and far between.



“God, I’ve missed you, Kota,” Kellie said.



Dakota took her hand, and was a little surprised that it felt like the hand of a woman entering middle age.  “I think my missing you is just getting ready to start,” he said, his voice cracking slightly with emotion.



Kellie bit her lip, then stood up and went to a drawer in one of the cabinets.  She pulled out what looked to Dakota like six tablet computers.  “I’ve been compiling these for you, to help you get caught up on things and give you a chance to reference any questions you have,” she said, placing them on the table.  “They’re memory tablets; kind of like an old photo album with digital video and audio for some files.  I wanted you to have something practical you could use.”



Dakota glanced at the stack.  “This has to have been a lot of work,” he said.  He looked up at Kellie.  “How long have you been working on these, Kel?”



Kellie looked slightly embarrassed.  “I started on my old computer back when I turned 16,” she said.  “I’ve been keeping them ever since.  Originally, all the files were on one tablet, but they just kept … growing.”



Dakota tilted back his head and laughed.  “That is so-o-o-o you!” he said.  “Thinking everything through, planning down to the tiniest detail …”



He stopped when he realized Kellie was smiling, with her hand over her mouth and tears streaming down her cheek.  “What’s wrong?” he said.



“Nothing,” Kellie said.  “It’s just that … I’ve waited 25 years to hear that laugh again.”



Dakota looked down at the stack of tablets.  “It’s true, isn’t it?” he said.  “It’s real.  I’m 25 years out of synch with everyone and everything else … including you.”



Kellie sat down next to him and put a hand on his.  “It is,” she said, “but we’re here for you.  Your family moved away, but they’re going to get in here later today, and Mom and Stam are coming this morning, and you’ve got me and April, and even Gill.”



“April and Gill?” he repeated.  Then the light dawned.  “Oh, your daughter and … husband,” he said.



Kellie nodded.  “Look, you take whatever time you need.  Um, and, when you’re ready, I promised Lakota I’d get you on the phone with her as soon as I could after you woke up.  Once you finish your breakfast, I want to keep that promise.  She’ll probably be with your folks, and they’ll all want in on the call.”



“How are my family?” Dakota asked.



Kellie looked slightly worried as she said.  “They’re fine.”



“What is it, Kel?”  Dakota asked.



Kellie closed her eyes slowly, then reopened them and looked Dakota in the face.  “Kota, your dad had a stroke about eight years ago -- a big stroke.  He’s as OK now as he’s been since then, but he’s wheelchair-bound, and it’s affected his speech.”



Dakota’s eyes filled with tears as his lower lip trembled.  He collapsed onto Kellie’s shoulder, sobbing, feeling the weight of his decades of absence more keenly now.  She shifted and enfolded him in a motherly hug, letting him let out the pain and stress.



After a few minutes, Dakota pulled back and wiped his cheeks.  “I want to talk to them as soon as I can,” he said.



Kellie nodded and got her phone.  She dialed Lakota’s number.  “Hey, Lakota,” she said.  “He’s awake.  He wants to talk to you.  Is everyone there?  Oh, OK.”



Kellie handed Dakota the phone.  “Your dad’s asleep,” she said, “but Lakota and your mom want to talk to you.  They’ll call to let you talk to your dad once he’s up.  Lakota’s putting it on speaker at their end.”



Dakota nodded and took the phone.  Kellie left the room and went to the living room, giving Dakota as much room as possible for his call.  She stretched out on the sofa and soon fell asleep.



Dakota was on the phone for some time.  There were tears of joy from his mother and sister, and tears of stress and sadness from him.  They promised to get his dad on the phone with him as soon as he was up; he’d already gotten the news, but was beginning to become increasingly frail and needed his rest.



Once he hung up, Dakota wandered into the living room and saw Kellie, dozing.  He couldn’t help feeling his love for her all over again; she looked so young sleeping there.



Alone for the moment, Dakota walked back into the kitchen and sat beside the tablets.  Kellie had put simple masking tape labels on each one.  The top tablet was labeled “National.”  Below that were “Area,” “World,” “Family,” “Greene-Ross” and “Elevator Girl/Woman.”



Dakota booted up the tablet labeled “Family.”  He spotted a series of icons on the desktop.  He realized that the “family” referred to was actually two families:  Kellie’s and his.  He wondered a bit about that, but was overcome with curiosity when he spotted one icon in particular:  Kellie’s Wedding.  He clicked on it.



The tablet booted up a video.  Kellie, clearly a woman, but a much younger woman than she was now, was looking into a webcam.  She was wearing a wedding dress.



“Kota,” Kellie said, taking a deep breath,  “I’m getting married today  His name is Guillaume Trudeau, but he goes by Gill.  He’s a native of Quebec, but his family moved to Ohio when he was a kid.  I met him in college.



“Kota, I need to tell you why I’m doing this,” Kellie continued.  “It’s not that I’ve stopped loving you.  I haven’t.  I don’t think I ever could.  But … well, it’s just that … it’s been eight years now, and who knows how much longer it’ll be?



“At first, I hoped I’d find you quickly.  Then I hoped I’d at least find you in time that our ages would still be close to each other.  But, assuming, as I believe, that you’re still alive, you’re in suspended animation.  I’m out of college, and your still 15, and the gap is widening every year.  And … as much as I love you, I can’t just put my life on hold in hopes that I’ll find you when I don’t even know when …”  Kellie’s eyes moistened as she said faintly, “or if I will find you.



“Kota, I didn’t date anyone in high school after you.  I couldn’t.  I dated a few times in college when friends would set me up, but I didn’t find anyone -- until my senior year, when I met Gill.”



Kellie chuckled.  “The funny thing is, you know why I fell in love with him?  He reminds me of you.”



Dakota chuckled at the statement.



“Oh, he looks nothing like you,” Kellie said.  “But there’s something about him, about the way he can look into my eyes and read everything inside me in an instant, that is so … you.  He knows about you, and what you mean to me, and he loves me anyway.  And I love him.  I didn’t think I could love anybody else but you, but I love him.



“I’ve learned from you, Kota.  I always tell everybody I love that I love them every day, or every day I see them if I don’t see them every day.  I learned from the way I dropped the ball on saying that with you that I can’t assume I can wait to say it, that they need to hear it.  I know you knew I love you, but I still should have said it.  I learned that, and it’s part of how I live my life now.



“I’m not giving up on you, Kota.  If you’re seeing this, you already know that.  I’ll look for you and at least make sure that you get some kind of life.  It’s the least I can do for a guy I love.”  Kellie blushed.  “But I needed to tell you why … and to hope it helps you understand.  I love you, always, Kota.”



Tears were streaming down Dakota’s cheeks when he heard a sniffle from behind him.  There he saw a good-looking, balding, middle-aged man wearing a suit.



“Sorry, kid,” the man said.  “Didn’t mean to eavesdrop, but I‘ve never heard that one before” He extended his hand.  “I’m Gill,” he said.



Dakota shook Gill’s hand.  “I’m Dakota.”



“I know,” said Gill.  “I helped Kellie and April get you in last night.  How’re you doing?”



Dakota shrugged.



Gill put a hand on Dakota’s shoulder.  “It’s OK,” he said.  “I don’t know how anybody would cope with what you’re going through.  I guess Stam is coming over this morning; he’s had some experience with that, so he can try to help, as much as anyone can.”



Dakota nodded.  “That sounds good,” he said.



“Look, I have to leave for work, but just so you know,” Gill said, “as far as I’m concerned, you’re always welcome here.  I don’t know how much you’ve put together in the time you’ve been awake, but the Greenes and the Rosses have kind of become one family over the years you’ve been gone, even though there’s no marriage or blood ties between us.  I know your history with Kellie may make things feel … awkward, but this place is always somewhere you can come, and everyone in this household cares what happens to you … even me.”



“Thank you, sir,” Dakota said.



Gill laughed.  “Dakota, according to your birth certificate, you’re older than me,” he said.  “Call me Gill.”



“All right,” Dakota said.



“Besides, from what Kellie and Lakota have said to me about you over the years, I think you’ll understand what I’m about to say.  Even if I were inclined not to welcome you -- and I am inclined to welcome you, for the record -- if I ever did anything that made you feel unwelcome here, that would break Kellie’s heart, and anything that would break her heart is one thing I just won’t do.”



Dakota could feel his lower lip twitching, but he held himself together.  “Yeah, that wouldn’t do for either one of us,” he said.



Gill put a hand on Dakota’s shoulder.  “Take your time and find what you need to find for you.  You’ve got friends here, always.  I’ve got to go.  Take care, kid.”



Gill walked over and kissed Kellie on the cheek.  “I’ve got to leave, Dear,” he said.



“Love you,” Kellie mumbled.



“I love you,” Gill whispered.  He turned and waved to Dakota as he exited.



Dakota walked over to an easy chair and sagged down into it.  It was all so much to absorb, and he knew there would be more … a lot more …

Chapter 4 by macromega

Dakota had gone back to the kitchen and taken some time to read, listen to and view files about what mattered to him most:  his family; Kellie; and Elevator Woman.  He figured he’d probably been at it a couple of hours when he heard stirring from the living room.  He decided to head in and see what was going on.  Maybe Kellie was awake.



On entering, Dakota found Kellie still asleep on the sofa and a teenage girl who looked remarkably like Kellie had in her teens staring at her.  The girl had tears streaming down her cheeks as she looked at Kellie.



The girl turned toward Dakota.  She grinned and gestured for him to return to the kitchen as she made her way there.  He followed her.



She spun around once they were there.  “You’re awake,” she said.  “How’re you doing?”



Dakota shrugged.  “As well as can be expected, I guess,” he said.  “You’re April, right?”



April shook his hand.  “Yep,” she said.



“We met in the ship earlier.”



“Yeah,” she said.  “You recognized me as Elevator Girl.  You just weren’t expecting that the user of that name had changed.  You want some food?”



Dakota nodded.  “Kel made me some breakfast stuff earlier, but that was in the middle of the night.”



“I’ll wave us something,” April said.  “Some oatmeal OK?”



“Sounds good,” Dakota said.  Once she started, he said, “Um, earlier, in the living room, you were looking at your mom and crying.  Why was that?”



April paused as the microwave finished.  She handed Dakota’s bowl to him, then sat down at the table with her own oatmeal.  “It’s just that … I’ve never seen my mom sleep like that.  Ever.”



“How so?”



“Mom’s always been a light sleeper,” April said.  “I’d always assumed it was a superhero thing; always ready to be on call, never sleeping more than a few hours at a time.  The level of sound when we were in the room would have wakened her for sure.  But now she’s sleeping, and so soundly.  Now I see what I’d missed.  She wasn’t just ready for any call as a heroine.  She was ready to go bring you home.”



Dakota leaned forward, trying to fight back tears.  “Oh,” he said quietly.



“Y’know, you’ve been in my life as long as I can remember,” April said.  “Part of that’s just because your family’s basically family to us, and vice versa.  Do you know that we spent every Christmas and Thanksgiving with your family, until they moved away?”



April ate a bite of oatmeal, then continued.  “Y’know, when I was little, I couldn’t understand why, every year at Christmas and for birthdays and Gramma and Grampa Greene’s anniversary, we would get a gift for your family, but the tag on the package would say it was from you.  I asked Mom once, and she said, ‘It’s what he would do if he were here.’  A few years back, I overheard Gramma Greene say to Mom, ‘It’s OK to mark the tags from you, Kellie.  We love you, too, and we know they’re also from him.’  After that, they’ve always been marked from us.”



“Wow,” said Dakota quietly.



“She’s even made sure there’s a place for you on the Greene-Ross board, and a job in the foundation, so you’d have somewhere to go when you got back.  Heck, even my name is partly because of you.”



“Huh?”



April smiled.  “My full name is April Buttercup Trudeau,” she said.  My dad wanted to name me Avril -- French for April.  Mom wanted Buttercup.  April was the compromise first name, and my middle name is because of you.”



Dakota shook his head.  “I don’t understand,” he said.



“Oh, right, you wouldn’t get the reference,” April said.  “See, that Dr. Dekker chick that kidnapped you, she smashed a ship into the bank overlooking Mom’s first HQ -- really trashed the place.  After Mom had told your parents and her friend, Jenna, about who she was, and promised them she’d bring you home, in the midst of the charred remains of the bank, she found a single buttercup that had survived.  She took that as a sign of hope, that you were still out there.  Buttercups have been her favorite flower ever since.”



Dakota bit his lip, fighting back tears even harder.  “Oh, God,” he said quietly, “I’ve ruined her life.  I’ve ruined Kel’s life!”



“What? No!” said April, placing a hand atop his.  “No, you haven’t ruined her life.  You’ve still been a big part of it, but she’s lived a good, full and, I think, mostly happy life that hasn’t necessarily involved or been centered on you.  It’s just that, hearing about it like this, all at once, it sounds more intensive than it is.”



Dakota wiped a tear from his cheek.  “But my ghost has haunted her all these years,” he said.



April kept her hand on his.  “It’s not quite like that.  It’s just …  I remember when I was 8, Mom and Dad had their tenth wedding anniversary.  When Mom was out of the room, Dad said to me, with a smile on his face, ‘You know, April, there are really three people in this marriage:  me; your mother; and Dakota Greene.’  He’s always known what I’ve figured out:  She’s never stopped loving you, and she never will.  And she felt she had to make sure to express that love every day, because she knew that, someday, you’d be back, and she couldn’t let you down.  She may not have been able to pick up where she left off, but she had to look out for everybody she loved, including you, and me, and my dad.”



April leaned forward as she continued.  “And do you realize why she’s able to sleep so soundly?  You’re home.  She’s done what her heart has wanted to do for 25 years.  You’re home, and now she’s able to rest.”



Dakota smiled.  He looked at April and grinned.  “I bet you got teased when people found out your middle name,” he said.



April grinned.  “Mercilessly,” she said, “but it was worth it for this.”  They both laughed. April used her fingers to pull her hair back over her left ear.



From behind them they heard a gasp.  “April, what do you think you’re doing?” said Kellie.



“Oh, hey, Mom,” April said.



“Hey, Kel,” Dakota said.  “Glad you got some sleep.  April just made me some oatmeal, and we were talking.”



Kellie blushed and ran out of the room.  “Excuse me,” she said as she left.



Both teens started to rise, but April gestured for Dakota to wait.  “I think I’d better take this one,” she said.  “Be right back.”



April went to her parents’ room and knocked on the door.  “Mom, it’s me,” she said.



Kellie opened the door.  “I’m sorry,” she said, hugging April.  “I don’t know what came over me.”



“I do,” April said.  “You came out to the kitchen and found me talking to and laughing with the guy you’ve loved and been searching for all these years, and for just a moment, you were jealous, until you remembered the whole situation.”



Kellie nodded.  “And you were doing the hair flip thing, the flirty hair thing,” she said.



“I was?” April said.  Then her eyes widened.  “Oh, God, I was!  Mom, that wasn’t on purpose!  I mean, he’s cute -- really, really cute -- but I’d be pretty weirded out trying to date my mom’s old boyfriend, even if he’s functionally younger than me.”



“I’m sorry,” said Kellie, hugging April again.



“It’s OK,” April said.  “Both of you are bound to have some incredibly complex knots of feelings right now.  But the main thing is Dakota, right?”



Kellie nodded.  “Absolutely,” she said.



Wiping a tear from her mom’s cheek, April said, “Let’s get back to the kitchen.”



The next few hours were a mix of questions from Dakota and breaks for his sake.  Gemma and Stamitos arrived, to a greeting of “Gramma Gemma!  Grampa Stam!” from April.  They both hugged the stuffings out of Dakota.



At one point during their visit, Stamitos took Dakota aside.  “You know, Dakota, while my circumstances were different, I’ve been the man outside of time myself, and know some of what you’re going through,” he said.  “Do you need to talk?”



“I don’t know,” Dakota said.  “I’m still trying to process most of this.”



Stamitos put a hand on Dakota’s shoulder.  “Understandable,” he said.  He handed Dakota a slip of paper.  “Here are my phone and web contact points.  If you need me, contact me.  If you need me to come to you, I’ll be there.”



Dakota hugged Stamitos, who was still huge even as a man at the start of old age.  “Thanks,” the teen said.



After the Stones had left, Dakota walked up to Kellie.  “Um, Kel, can we go see our old spot, or what’s left of it?”



Kellie nodded.  She took Dakota’s hand.  “Let’s go,” she said.



They walked the short distance to the river’s edge.  The shape of the bank was clearly different, but there were no traces left of Dekker’s attack that anyone who didn’t know the area from before it would have recognized.



“I still like to come here,” Kellie said.  “It’s been my get-away spot, and the place I felt closest to you.”



Dakota squeezed her hand.  “I just needed to see it again,” he said, “to know what we had was real.”



“It was real,” Kellie said.



Dakota looked her in the eye.  “Yes, it was,” he said.



“Oh, God,” Kellie said.  “This is goodbye, isn’t it?  You’re telling this place goodbye.”



Dakota simply continued to look into Kellie’s eyes.  “I can still read it all in your eyes,” he said.  “I can see how you feel about me, and how you feel about your family, and how you’re both thrilled to have me back and torn apart at the same time.  And I need time to get back with my family.  I don’t know how much longer I’ll have my dad, from the sound of things, and there are some new family members I need to get to know.”



Kellie simply pouted.  “You know, I bought this land some years back.  I own both sides of the river here now.”



Dakota hugged her, and she hugged back.  “It’ll always be precious to me, Kel,” he said.



“I love you, Kota,” Kellie said.



“I love you, Kel,” he replied.



After a long moment, Kellie said, “Well, we’d better get back to the house.  Your kinfolk are due to arrive at any minute, and they’re anxious to see you.”



“That runs both ways,” Dakota said.



It was only minutes after Dakota and Kellie returned to the house that a van pulled up.  Dakota ran out, both eager to see, and dreading seeing, his family.



Lakota came out first, from the driver’s seat.  “Bro!” she shouted, running over and hugging her twin.



Both were crying already.  Dakota looked at Lakota.  The years hadn’t been as kind to her as Kellie, but she still looked good for a 40-year-old.  “God, it’s good to have you back!” she said.



“I’m still trying to get used to the idea that I’ve been gone,” Dakota said.



From behind him emerged his mother, who tearfully hugged her son.  She pulled back and caressed his cheek.  ‘Still the same,” she said.  “My boy is finally home!”



While their mom was reconnecting with Dakota, Lakota helped their dad from the van.  She wheeled him up to his son.  He reached up both arms, one forcefully, the other less so.  “Kota!” he said.  “My Kota!”



“Dad!” said Dakota.  He knelt down beside his father’s chair, hugging him and sobbing.



Nick Greene rocked back and forth, holding his son.  “My boy!  My boy!” he said.  He took Dakota’s face in his hands.  He smiled the biggest smile the stroke he had suffered would allow.  “Kellie kept promiff,” he said.  “She promiff she bring you home.  She brought you home!  Kellie kept promiff!  Kellie alway keep promiff!”



Dakota looked up at Kellie, who was watching from the porch.  “Yes, Dad,” he said.  “Kellie always keeps her promises.”



Kellie smiled sadly, then turned at the sound of a child’s voice.  “Aunt Kellie!” shouted a boy as ran up and hugged her.



Dakota had taken Lakota’s hand.  “Sis, Kellie made up some stuff to help me catch up.”



Lakota chuckled.  “Sounds like her,” she said.



“I know about your marriages,” he said.  “I’m sorry.”



“I’m not, “ Lakota said.  “Without both those marriages, I don’t get my two kids, and they‘re the best part of my life.  Speaking of whom …”



A girl of about 12 came up.  “Rosie, this is your Uncle Dakota,” Lakota said.



“Hi,” Rosie said.  “You’re younger than I thought you’d be.”



“I suspect I’ll get that a lot,” Dakota said.



Then Rosie spotted Kellie.  “Hey, Aunt Kellie!” she said, waving.



“Hey, Namesake!” said Kellie.



Rosie bolted for the porch.  “We’ll visit at the hotel and during the car ride, Uncle Dakota!” she said.



Dakota looked at Lakota.  “Namesake?” he said.



“Her full name is Kellie Rose,”  Lakota said.  “Rosie is a nickname to keep them straight.  And, speaking of namesakes …”



The boy who had been hugging Kellie came up.  He was closer to 5 years old, and looked at Dakota, unsure what to do.



“Dakota, this is Cody,” Lakota said.  “Cody, this is your Uncle Dakota.”



“Dakota?” said Cody.  “That’s my name!”



“Mine, too,” Dakota said.  He looked at his sister.  “Another nickname?”



Lakota smiled.  “He’s Dakota Nicholas.”



Dakota tousled the boy’s hair.  “That means you’re my namesake, Cody.”



“Like Rosie and Aunt Kellie?” Cody asked.



“Just like them,” Dakota said.



“Cool!” shouted Cody.  He hugged Dakota, then ran toward his sister.  “Hey, Rosie!  I’m a namesake, too, with Uncle Dakota!”



Dakota stood up, taking his father’s waiting hand.  “I need to get to know them,” he said.



“You’ve got time,” Lakota said.  “Kellie’s got us set up in this cabin in Canada that Gill owns.  That way we can have some time just for us.  She’s even got medical care for Dad.”



“Couldn’t we do that at home?” Dakota asked.



“Dakota, what happened to you is one of the great mysteries of the 21st century,” Lakota said.  “Kellie’s keeping you off the radar until we get to the cabin;  then Elevator Woman and Elevator Girl are gonna have to hold a press conference.  If we were at home, we’d be hounded by media.”



“So, I’m famous,” Dakota said.



Lakota hugged him.  “Take the time you need, bro.  We’re here for you, and we’re glad to have you back.”



Later that evening, it was time to leave for the hotel.  Everyone else went outside, and gave Kellie and Dakota a chance to say goodbye.



Kellie’s lower lip trembled.  “We’ll still see each other at Greene-Ross functions,” she said, “unless you want me to stay away.”



“No!” said Dakota.  “No, I need you in my life somewhere.  But beyond that … Kel, there’s just so much to sort out, and you’ve got your life, and I’ve got to build mine.  We‘ll have to see how all that settles out.”



“I understand,” she said.  She looked him in the eye.  “Kota, I promise you, if you ever need me, for anything, just call and I’ll be there to do it.  I promise.”



Dakota hugged Kellie.  “Oh, Kel,” he said.  “I know you’ll do your best, but that’s one promise you can’t keep. … because what I need now is to be able to have the girl I love back where I can love her like I did 25 years ago.”



They sobbed in each other’s arms for a moment.  Then Dakota said, “I’ll be there for you, too, if you need me.”



Kellie caressed Dakota’s cheek.  “I’ll love you forever, my Kota,” she said.



“I’ll love you always, my Kel,” Dakota said.  “Goodbye.”



“Goodbye,” she said.  They hugged each other again.  Then, wordlessly, he slowly pulled away, turned and walked out the door.



During the drive to the motel, Lakota said, “I hope we’ll still see Kellie.  I mean, I know this situation is beyond awkward for both of you, but she’s family, too, especially to the kids.”



Dakota stared out the window.  “I hope we see her, too,” he said.  “I’d … really like that.”



Later that evening, Gill walked down to the bank overlooking the cave.  He found Kellie sitting there, staring at the moon.  “I thought I’d find you here,” he said.



“Hey, Gill,” Kellie said.



“You OK?” he asked.



“I’m the best I’ve been in 25 years, and I’m a total wreck,” Kellie said.



Gill sat beside her for a few minutes.  They held hands in silence.  She smiled at him, glad he knew her well enough to feel secure in this situation.



“The one thing that really galls me is that Dekker still won,” Kellie finally said.  “Her last words were, ‘So this is how I win, with your love grown cold.  Cold always wins.’  And, even though Dakota’s finally free, she’s still won.  My love for him grew cold, and he’s still without that love.”



“Well, that was a good thing for me,” Gill said, smiling.



Kellie patted his hand.  “I just hope he can find love somewhere.  You know, I came in on April flirting with him earlier, and … well, I admit, I was jealous for about three seconds, but then I thought, if Elevator Girl loved Kota, it would rob Dekker of that victory.  She’d really be defeated.  I know that’s stupid, but it’s what I keep thinking.”



Gill patted Kellie’s hand back, then stood up.  “You take the time you need here,” he said.  “I’ll see you when you come in.”



As he started to walk back, Kellie said.  “Gill.  I love you, y’know.”



Gill smiled.  “I love you, too,” he said.



Gill walked slowly inside, thinking as he walked.  When he got in, he went up the stairs to April’s room.  He knocked, and she invited him in.



“What’s up, Dad?” April asked.



“April, I’m going to ask something of you, and I’m not sure what you’re going to think of me for asking it, but I’m going to ask it anyway.  If anyone can do this, it’s you.”



Gill explained his plan.



“Dad, I don’t think you’re terrible,” April said.  “Actually, this sounds like the kind of idea someone we both know pretty well would come up with, if she’d allow herself to do so.”



Gill nodded.  “Yeah, it does,” he said.



April took her father’s hand.  “But I hope you don’t mind if I hope the right circumstances for us to put this plan into action don’t come to pass.”



“Well, I’d definitely rather they didn’t,” Gill said, “But I love her too much not to set up this one last shot for her … just in case.”

This story archived at http://www.giantessworld.net/viewstory.php?sid=3001