- Text Size +
"My little friend"

by Sonicfan287


Chapter 1: A "Fairy" tale



I was disgusted after yet another day at work, as I took off my grimy Staples shirt and left it on my shelf in the closet, to gather even more dust.

I sat down on my bed and turned on the TV, all the while thinking of how I should quit Staples: the office stupidstore, and try something else.

I pondered these things and then I began to hear the faint sound of my cell phone vibrating from under the mess I had kept in my drawer. I yanked it out from under the various GameBoy Advance games I had accumulated and saw the called ID read "Kim". Frustrated, I put the phone down and let it keep ringing.

Kim was my ex-girlfriend and once a good friend of mine, but we were no longer on talking terms, even if she still tried to talk to me now and then. I had no reason to talk to her, and saw no reason to ever see her again.

By now, you're undoubtedly wondering just who I am. Well, my name is Bobby Gaines, and there's nothing really different about me than from any other 19 year old guy. I go to college, and at a very nice campus called Avery Point in Groton. The view of the ocean can sometimes take my mind off my stress.

I don't have a girlfriend anymore, but what I do have is a crappy job and a lot of stress. Luckily, I have enough good friends to take my mind off those things sometimes.

Anyway, enough synopsis about myself. My real adventure began the next day, on Monday, when I drove into school.

My class started in an hour, so as usual, I'd spend that hour responsibly studying and thinking about my physics class ahead... or not.

I went to the student center and played foosball with my good friend, John.

"Hey, Sarah asked me if you want to go to lunch with us today" John said, while in the heated game of foosball.

"Really? What time?" I asked.

"12:00" John said, defending his goal as I took a fierce shot.

"12? I can't do that, I have an 11:30 class, remember?" I asked.

"Oh right, sorry" John said. "Maybe next time"

Yeah, maybe next time was something I was so used to hearing. Even though I didn't work or have class any more often than anyone else, it seemed that my schedule always found a way to conflict and that's why I never got to do anything fun, unless you call Staples fun.

I look up at the clock and realize it's already 11:35, so I head off to class, quickly ending my foosball game with a 4-2 lead. I run up the stairs to my class, all the while thinking of what could have been. Sarah was a good friend of ours who I didn't get to see enough of these days. I'd figure out something we could do another time, I suppose.

I walk into my physics class when I realize there's noone in there. Geez, class must've been cancelled, and here I was walking in late anyway. Guess I should check my student email more often.

Knowing that class is canceled, I quickly scampered down the many stairs and headed back into the student center, which was also fairly empty at this point. The only people left in there were 3 people playing a game of 8 ball.

"Hey, have any of you seen John?" I asked.

"I think he just left with that girl" one of the guys said. I put my head down and frustration and walked into the other room, taking out my cell phone so that I could possibly get in touch with him before he left for Burger King, his favorite restaurant. Upon dialing his number, however, the message popped up on my phone, "OUT OF MINUTES...RECHARGE SOON!"

"You gotta be kidding me..." I said, through gritted teeth. That's when I realized I was down to my last half minute on my phone and Kim's stupid text message used that up. I can't believe my phone charges me to RECIEVE text messages. Like I'd ever want another text from her again. Okay, so maybe I am a little harsh on her, but still....

I walk to the library and use their computers to go on virgin mobile's website to add more minutes to my phone. As I watch the money dwindle from my bank acount, I wonder if the transaction is even worth it, but decide it couldn't hurt. Even if I was too late to hang out with John and Sarah, I could contact some other friends of mine...if only most of them didn't go to school in Storrs or out of state.

I call John anyway but he doesn't pick up. Of course this failed phone call still costs me a minute, and so I skulk over to the Avery Point bookstore, where I pick up some raemen soup and one of those freeze-dried burgers. What could I say, I was really hungry.

I went down to the water with my food after picking it up and sat down on my usual bench, looking out at the coastline to see New London from across the way. It looked so small from here, and yet I had lived there for 10 years before moving to Montville, where is where I lived now.

I realized that I had to calm down, as I was letting too much get to me. I take a bite of the nasty burger, the cheese kind of oozing out of the back of it whenever I take a bite. It wasn't even worth the dollar I paid for it. Why hadn't I just gone to McDonalds? I had left my bag on the grass, and inside was my candy bar. I told myself that would be the best part of this meal.

I'm about to reach for the candy bar when I notice my bag is seemingly rustling, as if there's something in it. A little paranoid I take my fist and pound it towards the ground, on the outer edge of the bag, hoping to scare off whatever stupid bug or something that had crawled in there. My bag stops rustling but I can still tell there's something in there, because I see a little lump in the bag.

"C'mon, get out of there, stupid fly!" I said, slamming my fist down in anger. This time I heard something I didn't expect. The sound was of a feeble scream that was hard to make out through the plastic bag, but I realized it wasn't a fly I was swatting at. I frowned and looked down at the bag more closely "Uh... I'm sorry for trying to hit you..."

I sat there for a few seconds, staring awkrardly down at the bag, before feeling like an idiot. I decided still to see what was in there.

"Um... do you want to come out?" I asked.

I heard an incomprehensible voice answer back. It sounded like a girl's voice but I couldn't tell what she was saying. The lump in the bag slowly moved towards the handles, to where I could see this figure. That's when I saw her. This tiny, 3 inch tall brown haired girl looked up at the bench in shock and I stared down at her in the same way.

I couldn't believe this was actually happening. I got down on my hands and knees to try to get a closer look at her but she quickly scampered into the grass, running and screaming.

"wAIT!" I shouted, knowing she could still hear me "I WON'T HURT YOU!!"

She suddenly stopped running and turned back. She walked very slowly and cautiously back towards me and got close enough so I could hear her as she said "you won't hurt me? you promise?"

"I promise" I said, and put my hand down on the ground. She looked up at me cautiously, her mouth contorted into this frown of confusion and her eyes looking like she was about to cry. Finally she put her first foot onto my head and clumsily pulled herself onto my palm. I felt her shaking as she first tried to stand straight up but lost her balance so decided to lay down instead. Very slowly I rose to my feet and she looked down at the ground, tears swelling in her eyes as I took us back to the bench to sit down.

She stared at me for several seconds and I stared back at her as she looked in every direction, seemingly dazed. Now I felt really bad for swatting at her earlier. She looked just like any other girl I had gone to school with, except she was so small. She had brown eyes and chestnut hair, and sort of a rosy cheek complexion but not really.

She finally spoke to me in her soft voice, but I could still hear her as she said "Uh...hi" and chuckled nervously. Apparently, she had gotten over her fear for now because she knows if I would've done something to her I would've done it already.

"Hi..." I said softly, trying not to scare her "I'm really sorry I tried to hurt you"

"Heh... it's okay" she said, her tiny voice faltering. She seemed so delicate and yet I could tell that through it all, she was probably a really cool girl that was just freaked out for the moment. "I'm uh... kinda used to it."

"I'm so sorry" I sighed, "I've just been so frustrated lately and... well you probably don't want to hear about that... I mean you're...yeah... and I just don't know..."

"It's okay" the girl said "I'm quite used to this... trust me... I've been small for a long long time..."

I paused for a few moments before finally asking what was burning on my mind now, "How'd you get so small?"

"You wouldn't even believe this but..." the girl started and paused before saying, "I'm a fairy..."

"A fairy?"I asked with a skeptical look on my face, "but don't fairies have wings?"

"I uh... don't want to talk about my wings right now" the girl sighed, and I decided to stop making her feel so uncomfortable. "I'm a fairy... and I've been wandering this campus for years, it's where my family lives... and the only place I've ever known...people never know how to react when they see me... they're not used to seeing something this small"

"What do they do to you when they see you?" I asked.

"Some of them ask me where I'm from, but I usually run away... I'm too afraid of you bigger people... no offense" she said.

"It's fine" I said "I'd probably be afraid too... my name's Bobby by the way"

"I'm Jen" she said, "thanks for being so understanding..."

"Not a problem" I said, still fascinated by her and how trusting she was of me now. She was about half the size of my palm. "So what are you going to do now?"

"Well, I'm quite a ways from my home" Jen sighed, "but I like the walking anyway..."

"So you're going to walk all that way back, it must feel like miles to you" I said. The campus wasn't too big but for a fairy, I could only imagine.

"It's no big deal" Jen said "I can handle the walking... in fact, if you could just put me back down in the grass, I could start walking back... I like to walk in the grass because it keeps me more hidden so I don't get picked on by bigger people... oh and sorry for trying to eat your candy bar"

She chuckled a bit when she said that. She seemed like a really cool girl, and I feared that when I let her go, I may never see her again. She might get stepped on or just hide in some underground hole and never come out again. I didn't exactly make a great first impression.

"Hey uh Jen" I said, and she craned her neck upward to see me. "How about if I took you back to your home, yknow save you some walking"

"Uh sure" she said, cracking a slight smile. So I slowly got up again, and this time Jen seemed more confident that I wouldn't drop her.

"It's this way" she said, pointing to the old Branford house, a cathedral like building that I always loved to go in.

"You live in the Branford house?" I asked her.

"Well, not exactly, I live in that little courtyard in front of the branford house" Jen said.

So I took her around the front entrance towards the courtyard and left her under a stone statue like she said.

"Are you sure you're not mad at me for trying to hit you?" I asked.

"No, it's fine..." she said and started to walk away.

"Hey Jen?"I asked, kind of nervously.

"Yeah?" she asked, still maintaining her smile.

"Is it okay if I see you again sometime? Y'know... if you don't mind..." I asked.

"Um yeah... sure... I guess" she said "Yknow where to find me"

"Actually I dont" I sighed "you're so small and this campus is so big in comparison that..."

"703-9402" Jen said, quickly cutting me off.

"What?" I asked in confusion.

"703-9402... that's my cell phone number" Jen said, taking out her tiny cell phone.

"Fairies have cell phones?" I asked.

Jen laughed and continued walking away "Just call me sometime, okay?" she said, and then she was gone.

Wow, I couldn't believe it... the impossible had happened... I GOT A GIRL'S PHONE NUMBER!!!

I walked back into the student center and saw John and Sarah.

"Hey, sorry about that" John said, "I heard your class was cancelled... hopefully you weren't too bored"

"No, I found something to do..." I smiled.