- Text Size +
Story Notes:

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.

Author's Chapter Notes:

Prologue

Camera 2 centered and focused on the hostess' face. Her eyebrows and mascara started to appear more sharply. "Are we all ready to go?" She asked. Then she brushed her black hair behind her ears and practiced a wide winning smile. She glowed before the Camera and the audience that would be watching months later.

 

From behind the Camera, a man with a clipboard pulled up a walkie talkie. A chatter of "all good" and "Standby" came through the crackling radios. Mr Clipboard gave the Hostess a thumbs up. 

 

We get our take in "Five, Four," he said. Then silently gestured 3...2...1

 

The Hostess began her speech, "Amber and Paul are both high-earners living in the big city. They enjoy an active social life, have just bought a condo, and have BIG ambitions for their future." The Hostess had put emphasis on the "Big" widening her hands like she was holding an inflating balloon.

"All Around they are the perfect couple. In fact, they're looking to start a family."

 

From behind Camera 2 the director gave the Hostess an Ok Mark and nodded his head - this take was looking immaculate - clean - professional.

 

"But," The hostess continued. Turning to look at Camera 1 "They have a disagreement about their new family..." She shook her head before cupping her hands together like an AllState Commercial.

 

"Although they agree that someone should take a hiatus from their career for the sake of the new Baby..." she dragged that word out and then separated her hands. "They can't agree which one it should be."

 

Even though it was a corny phrase and everyone in the studio knew where this was going a few people smiled. The whole production was finally coming together.

 "Amber doesn't appreciate the assumption that it should be her who is responsible for every decision..."  The Hostess raised her left hand in consideration.  

"Paul doesn't think he'd be suited to domestic life. Not that it has to be Amber, just that she would do a better job..." Her right hand came up level with her left. The Hostess mocked juggling them in the thin air.

 

She then walked over to her left, the Camera panning to meet her. After a few steps she met with a Fabio looking model. Tight white shirt, tighter black pants and a head of hair to rival hers.

 

"Its obvious that their relationship will change when the baby comes," she Continued. "But lets put these ideas to the test and see how they react to a different kind of change in their personal dynamic."

 

The hostess then raised her hands high up to the top of her counterparts head, touching the crest of His long blond hair. 

"There is nothing wrong with feeling like the Big Man on Campus she said," as she finished her sentence she slowly lowered her hand. Simultaneously, by some unexplainable power, He stayed level with her fingers. 

"We should remember that some qualities are not as important as others..." Fabio was only as tall as the Hostess was. 

“That a person cannot only be measured by their shoe size and inseam. The Model stood still, statuesque, His trained stare for the camera left no impression that he was shocked or awed by what was happening. Only perhaps a glint in his eyes... he had known that this was going to happen but he hadn't felt it before.

 

"If Paul, were to say become a little bit less," By this time the Hostess' hand was no higher than her shoulder - "would he feel like less of a man?"

She stopped lowering her hand, leaving Fabio eyeline right at her chest. "Thank you for the Demonstration Tony," She said playfully. He smiled and walked off set. 

 

"Well that's what we are here to find out. This perfect couple has agreed to test their relationship, their future, and themselves…

 

“Lets see how it CHANGES them,” She said. “I'm Vanessa Welcome to Shrink My Spouse.”

 

“CUT!”

 

A bell rang and some spare applause broke out. “Perfect take. But, we're going to want another for safety - 30 minutes people.”

 

"Thank you 30," came a reply from the tech crew. 

 

Vanessa walked off set, she was relieved that after months of hard work this new project was nearing its release. Paul and Amber's drama was filmed months ago - but now they had a Netflix offer to buy the reality show - a set date for release. Today she was the queen.

 

As she reached for a bagel at the service table she barely noticed Tony standing next to her. "Oh," she said "I'm sorry I didn't..."

 

"That's ok," he said.  waving his hand in apology, "This is only temporary... but it does take some getting used to."

 

Vanessa smiled and added half-&-half to her coffee. "Is it a little scary?" She asked.

 

"The Shrinking?" Tony asked. "No, not really, I mean this is show biz it's all make-believe... tomorrow I'll be normal." Tony also took a bagel which was much larger than he expected. "But today, you can be someone I look up to - it's important to admire people." He chuckled at himself, "Even if it's only because of your high heels."

 

Vanessa smiled, a little confused, raising an eyebrow, “I’m not wearing heels.” She continued to smile.

 

Tony however, if you looked close enough at his eyes, now looked scared. 

 

 

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.